• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

I haven't played the MGS games yet but finding out Bauer's voicing Snake? i'm so in. 24 was one of the best shows ever, and JB one of the best characters ever.

Nibel

Is FOX Engine going to be used for anything outside of Konami stuff? Shame if it's just for this and PES... and I guess Castlevania eventually.

Nope, they don't license it to other developers

Question: does any Japanese company license their engine to other companies?

Kai

Why are there constant Blue/White lines that show up and go away (like you are watching through some monitor) during the whole trailer?

Laranja

Is FOX Engine going to be used for anything outside of Konami stuff? Shame if it's just for this and PES... and I guess Castlevania eventually.

Yeah, the tech these guys developed seems too amazing to waste on just a couple of games. I'm personally hoping for a new Japanese-developed Silent Hill game.

LuCkymoON

Banned
ugh that cinemascope lens flare is terrible, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the game was actually displayed in 2:35 format lol

and it's not even consistent, what a hack.

Derrick01

Banned
i don't care much about the franchise but..how it is possible to make a stelath game that is open world?
sholdn't a stealth game be based on level design?

Since it hasn't been done yet it technically is not possible. Or maybe it's like the belief in God, we have no evidence it can exist but there's no physical law that says it can't.

But yes the best stealth games rely heavily on intelligent level design and by nature open world games clash with the idea of good level design. We're in for an interesting time.

Alfredo

What the hell is with games wanting to replace their great, historied voice actors in their long running franchises? Both Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution threatened to change their original VAs, but, thankfully, in the end, they went with the originals.

Now MGS5? What the heck?

Edit: Hopefully this is just some huge "Phantom Pain-esqure" mind melt that will end with Hayter's Snake voice returning in some crazy way.

poodpick

Yeah, the tech these guys developed seems too amazing to waste on just a couple of games. I'm personally hoping for a new Japanese-developed Silent Hill game.

Kojima said that he distributed it to many studios within konami so I wouldn't be surprised if a silent hill game isn't at least being prototyped with it.

Trey

Since it hasn't been done yet it technically is not possible. Or maybe it's like the belief in God, we have no evidence it can exist but there's no physical law that says it can't.

But yes the best stealth games rely heavily on intelligent level design and by nature open world games clash with the idea of good level design. We're in for an interesting time.

AI behavior is just as important, if not moreso.

Nibel

Hexadrive did, but the only games which used it were Game Republic titles iirc, and now Game Republic is dead. Lol.

Well I guess that's that :lol

Japanese developers seem to be very proud to have their own engines - while many Western developers just license the engine that fits the best with their plans, it seems like many Japanese developers decide to build their own stuff and adjust their engines to their philosophy and preferences. Maybe I'm wrong and that's too much speculation, but this could be also the reason why many of them had such difficulties this gen

iQbdSu2tyJ2fD.gif

Where is this from?

Midou

Far Cry did pretty good stealth in open world, I have faith in Kojima.

Being able to break into places at night should be cool too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're going to MGS for fun stealth level design, you are already fucking up.

I imagine that's why people aren't raging about him firing an assault rifle in the trailer.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore - you know if you go travelling? Will you take a PS3 with you to play this game xD

I'll be hoping for a PC version, since MGR was coming to PC before it switched to Platinum. If not I can always fly back to the States for a day or two, or find a gaffer somewhere and boot them out of their apartment. ;b

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What the hell is with games wanting to replace their great, historied voice actors in their long running franchises? Both Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution threatened to change their original VAs, but, thankfully, in the end, they went with the originals.

Now MGS5? What the heck?

Edit: Hopefully this is just some huge "Phantom Pain-esqure" mind melt that will end with Hayter's Snake voice returning in some crazy way.
Maybe its like movies, actors ask for more money each sequel, gets expensive
But I don't think this is the same snake
Also how old would Solid Snake be 9 years after ground zeroes?

RoKKeR

Also, what the hell is up with the lens flare when Snake crawls up to the first table? Seriously? Where is that coming from?

dc89

I'll be hoping for a PC version, since MGR was coming to PC before it switched to Platinum. If not I can always fly back to the States for a day or two, or find a gaffer somewhere and boot them out of their apartment. ;b

Well I'm sure either way you'll find a way to play the game!

Top Bottom