• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

eso76

Hayter's gonna hate.

Trailer was fuckawesome.

Fox engine looks great. Great lighting, and probably the best human realtime CG models ever.
Although not quite on par with that Joakim guy :p

Axspell

Neo Member
Glad to see Big Boss not being voiced by Hayter. For consistency's sake though it kinda sucks that MGS3 wasn't voiced by the same guy who's now doing the character, too.

Mr. RHC

That was me :D

jjrqMmYWjPbZk.jpg

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=45194578&postcount=655

Yea, very well done!

Nope, I was there.

well, i don't know what to tell you. everyone saw the missing pieces in the letters, burnoutbrighter did the awesome job of cutting the trailer in a different way and highlighting the fact that "the phantom pain" had missing pieces in the letters. as much as kojima likes to hide things, detective gaf bust it wide open in a matter of hours.

DrBo42

well, i don't know what to tell you. everyone saw the missing pieces in the letters, burnoutbrighter did the awesome job of cutting the trailer in a different way and highlighting the fact that "the phantom pain" had missing pieces in the letters. as much as kojima likes to hide things, detective gaf bust it wide open in a matter of hours.

That logo actually wasn't a Kojima creation.

Robot Pants

I think the entire game takes place in Snake's mind. It's his dream while he's in a coma!

Metal Gear Inception!
Ummmmmm... Isn't this obvious? Seeing ghosts of Volgin, and people he's never met yet (psycho mantis, revolver ocelot riding the boss' horse)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The lighting of the Fox Engine is amazing. Their day/night cycle looks perfect, so realistic.

Wow. Nice to see all this finally coming together. Kind of mad at what it took to develop Mother Base for me, I'm hyped still.

No David Hayter? Sad, but I was hoping Naked/BB would've had different VA in Snake Eater. Totally fine with Sutherland or Doyle, as long as they're good. And if Kojima really isn't done with Solid Snake, hopefully Hayter will come back for that. Willing to bet there'll be a Hayter VA cameo in there somewhere.

Jawmuncher

I'm pretty happy at the moment.
MGSV is just what i needed in my gaming blues.

MGS always hypes me up and reminds me of all the good times I've had with the series.
If it wasnt for MGS1 I wouldn't even be the person i am today, i kid you not.

Glad this is on PS360 so I don't have to run out and buy a PS4 at launch price to play it.

Bummed it's not on Wii U, since it possibly debunks the Miiverse leak screenshot.

Maybe they're saving revealing the Wii U version for E3.... who am I kidding tho. :(

ssoass

I'll miss Harry Gregson William's music in this game, he has done some amazing music for the series.

It'll be interesting to hear a new composer, though.

Arnie

Looks the most interesting Metal Gear in a while.

I'd say the opposite.

The story, and these characters, are done, to me. They are all leading to the ultimate conclusion that was Metal Gear Solid 4. All the crazy nonsense that this game appears to be revelling in, more so than prior games, says to me that the great meat of an enthralling narrative isn't there. It's very early to tell, but when I compare this to the initial MGS4 trailer I get two wildly different reactions.

I'm not riddled with questions, I don't actually care about all the XOF stuff, or the bald Volgin type, or even the freaky magical beings. If the story in this game was that significant, surely we'd have heard about these events somewhere in the games fiction up until now.

We saw the major event in Big Boss' life in MGS3, and it was done superbly. That was all we needed to know to understand the major themes of the MGS franchise as we saw it prior to GZ's announcement, and it still sort of feels like we've learnt all we need to know about BB and the characters that surround him. Kojima didn't make me want to rethink that assumption by throwing a giant whale in a trailer of inventing a fake development studio.

Buntabox

I should probably play Metal Gear Solid 1. And 2. And 3. And 4. And PW. Soon, probably.

Some great games there, reason enough to play them even if V wasn't coming out.

They make for a (mostly) well contained story if you look at PW as an epilogue to the series proper and don't play past
the first set of credits. Afterwards its all setup for V

Edit: I spoilered it since you haven't played them. But its not much a spoiler

Sky Chief

Really hyped for the open world aspect of this game. I have always thought that MGS3 and MGS4 have fantastic sandbox style gameplay and combining this with a more open world seems ideal.

I also loved PW and it showed that the MGS universe allows for some awesome side mission ideas and my guess is there might be some kind of base/team building aspect to the game as well.

MGS games, though generally linear, offer an incredible amount of replay value so I can see myself investing hours upon hours into this game before even touching the multiplayer (speaking of which can't wait to see what their ideas on that are, could be amazing).

This seems to be the consensus, volgin had 2 horns in the trailer. Some are saying it's glass, which makes no sense to me.

If it isn't a horn, then perhaps it's shrapnel?

Makes no sense to keep it in there though instead of removing it. he had it under the bandages too in the hospital. But strangely he doesn't have it when they resuscitate him and say he's in a coma.
If it IS shrapnel then maybe it's part of the reason he's having weird hallucinations, I dunno but it is the most curious thing in the whole trailer to me, everything else can be explained somehow

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The clothes are incredibly similar. Nice find! I'm still not sure it's Ocelot, though, mostly because Kojima likes to fuck with your heads.

100% certain it is Ocelot. Looks like it's based on his face model from MGS4, just younger.

Did he give any indication as to what was meant by "open world"? I mean, looking back on it the original MGS and MGS 3 to an extent felt like open world games in that you were able to go back and explore most areas of the game at most points in the game. Or is this gonna be like a real seamless open world free of load times and segmented off combat areas?

Ok something I noticed, about the whole Ishmael isn't real thing. He always reacts to things similarly to Snake but never helps him despite wanting to get out of there really fast before it all comes down. Then after they crash the Ambulance Snake crawls out alone, meets Psycho mantis scary child and is then saved by the Ocelot looking dude, all the while Ishmael is suddenly gone. Just Snake and Ocelot guy on the horse. And I doubt they gave Kiefer Sutherland such a little small role if he died in the Ambulance crash

Did he give any indication as to what was meant by "open world"? I mean, looking back on it the original MGS and MGS 3 to an extent felt like open world games in that you were able to go back and explore most areas of the game at most points in the game. Or is this gonna be like a real seamless open world free of load times and segmented off combat areas?

I think there will be very large open levels like the GZ demo, but you can stop the main story and do side missions and shit in other areas at any time if I understand correctly

some MGS wiki browsing and Peace walker was set in 74 so give or take a year and MGS5 should take place in 1985.

Metal Gear takes place in 1995 so they are not right around the corner but since Outer Heaven was founded in "the late 1980's" they are running out of wiggle run with these prequels.

Wonder how many post credits "welcome to outer heaven" scenes Kojima has in him for these prequels. I feel like its been a thing for a few games now.

Outer Heaven should be a actual thing by the end of this game though. I guess that leaves them to explain why Big Boss goes back to the US to head Foxhound if they want another Big Boss game.

Yawnier

Banned
Glad this is on PS360 so I don't have to run out and buy a PS4 at launch price to play it.

Bummed it's not on Wii U, since it possibly debunks the Miiverse leak screenshot.

I'm also a bit glad this game is on current gen consoles so that I don't have to rush out on launch to buy a PS4 too, but on the other hand this game may possibly be downgraded considerably (graphically) from what we have seen from the trailer that people are saying was running on a beefy PC.

This seems like a game where people will be completely lost if they haven't played the previous titles :(.

This goes for pretty much every MGS title developed within the past 10 or so years with the exception of maybe Snake Eater (3).

The HD Collection can be had for fairly cheap now though.

People kept saying it was "V has come to Diamond Dogs" but it's not. The line has a full stop at the end of it "V has come to." And it's not "too" either, which makes it sound like "V has woken up" has "come to"

Top Bottom