• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

sflufan

Banned
Ground Zeroes is at the earliest 1979 because of the Walkman. I'd say it is probably 1980ish and The Phantom Pain is therefore about 1990ish.

It's also 1979 at the earliest because in the first trailer we saw Black Hawk helicopters which were not deployed by the US military until 1979.

r9daeVA.png

My mind is forever blown.

Amazing! :D

bud

i'm actually glad hayter isn't doing snake's voice anymore. he peaked with mgs1 which featured absolutely perfect voice acting, but it went downhill after that even though it was still quite good in mgs2 and decent enough in mgs3. mgs4, of course, was awful in all respects.

Which is derived of the russian experimental sneaking suit from MGS3, which supposedly is the same type of The Boss suit, but in black ;b.

I had no idea that was in MGS3 all along, had assumed it originated from the 3DS demo but apparently not.

Also... kojima says GZ takes place before Phantom Pain segments (as evidenced by BB still having an arm, destruction of Mother Base, BB rescuing Kaz, and young Chico in early trailer).

But he says the hospital segment is the tutorial.

Sooo what is GZ? A flashback if the game starts out with amputee BB?

Maybe it prgresses like:
1. Tutorial in the hospital
2. Major cinema in hospital ending in cliffhanger
3. Flashback (9 years earlier) leading into GZ gameplay and rescue of Chico & Paz
4. XOF retaliation and destruction of Mother Base, Kaz & BB in hospital
5. Coma scene
6. Goes back to cliffhanger and hospital escape
7. Leads to Africa/Angola and dimond dogs jungle openworld main game

Hard to say, but MGS2 had that whole double tutorial thing too.

I liked his voice - yes, he wasn't the best voice actor, but the whole MGS franchise is quirky and goofy in some ways and Hayter's perfomance somehow was fitting in my opinion

Feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not too concerned about the future quality of the MGS VOs

Fair enough. You're on my good list, haha.

zychi

Banned
How old is Solid Snake in MGS2/MGS4? Is there any chance that Snake is actually Solid and not Big Boss? Assuming that the test tube versions of Big Boss skipped childhood all together and were full grown adults after they were created?

Basically could the "coma" actually be Solid Snake waking up after being created, and his arm hasn't fully grown in/his brain is messing with him? Hence "Phantom Pain" and Ground Zeroes actually refers to Solid and Liquid's birth?

How old is Solid Snake in MGS2/MGS4? Is there any chance that Snake is actually Solid and not Big Boss? Assuming that the test tube versions of Big Boss skipped childhood all together and were full grown adults after they were created?

Yes they are supposedly born and grow up, but the timeline might have shifted a bit to fit in with this coma thing, they were originally meant to be born around '72ish.

Basically could the "coma" actually be Solid Snake waking up after being created, and his arm hasn't fully grown in/his brain is messing with him? Hence "Phantom Pain" and Ground Zeroes actually refers to Solid and Liquid's birth?

You can never rule out something being the product of someone's dreams, but I doubt it has anything to do with his clone's brains.

Hystzen

they where born like everybody else in the world it was explained in MGS4, EVA was surrogate mother they only have DNA altered not created piece by piece

Solid Snake was a perfectly normal human being until his early 40's with childhood included so no.

Also... kojima says GZ takes place before Phantom Pain segments (as evidenced by BB still having an arm, destruction of Mother Base, BB rescuing Kaz, and young Chico in early trailer).

Maybe it prgresses like:
3. Flashback (9 years earlier) leading into GZ gameplay and rescue of Chico & Paz
5. Coma scene

Orrrrr

Maybe it's a way of messing with the player, meant to tie in to Big Boss's mental state after being in a coma for so long and having atrophied muscles?

Like a "come on, you know how to walk, this is embarrassing" feeling tying into the whole PTSD/mental breakdown of a soldier vibe they seem to be going for.

Dali

Is'nt that basically the same costume (BB wears in the chopter) that he's worn since Portable Ops?

Maybe it prgresses like:
5. Coma scene

I think you're overthinking this. Since MGS2 he's had a prelude before you start the actual game. There was no tutorial in the Snake portion of MGS2 (iirc), but once you get Raiden the tutorial begins. Sort of the same with the Virtuous Mission and MGS3.

Batzi

Banned
TeamHayter and TeamNoHayter, the sequel to TeamReal vs TeamCG!

No need to. David Hayter will be in MGS5 because he will be voicing Solid Snake. Remember that Kojima CONFIRMED Solid Snake will make an appearance in the next MGS and that was before the announcement of Ground Zeroes. I believe that Solid Snake will definitely make an appearance and the fact that time(coma) will be passing in the game points to the likelihood of that scenario occurring. Solid Snake will be in MGS5, mark my words!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
No need to. David Hayter will be in MGS5 because he will be voicing Solid Snake. Remember that Kojima CONFIRMED Solid Snake will make an appearance in the next MGS and that was before the announcement of Ground Zeroes. I believe that Solid Snake will definitely make an appearance and the fact the time will be passing in the game points to the likelihood of that scenario occurring. Solid Snake will be in MGS5, mark my words!

So why is Akio Ohtsuka, the voice of Solid Snake in Japan, still voicing Big Boss on the Japanese side of things?

Wouldn't he be in the same position as Hayter?

Soriku

Can someone upload the gameplay segments that show off lighting from the GDC panel up on Youtube? Specifically the part that starts at 1:09:23 and the part that starts at 1:24:23.

No need to. David Hayter will be in MGS5 because he will be voicing Solid Snake. Remember that Kojima CONFIRMED Solid Snake will make an appearance in the next MGS and that was before the announcement of Ground Zeroes. I believe that Solid Snake will definitely make an appearance and the fact that time(coma) will be passing in the game points to the likelihood of that scenario occurring. Solid Snake will be in MGS5, mark my words!

If you believe Solid Snake will be in this game, he wont be a man, but a child.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haha, GAF called it MGS5 from that bits of the hidden logo back at the VGA's. So Bravo to the people that saw that and thought that.

I'm a little disappointed if Hayater is not coming back. I mean he voiced Big Boss/"Snake" in MGS3 and Peace Walker, FFS. :/

RiverBed

Banned
r9daeVA.png

My mind is forever blown.

They could easily be doing some of the development (like mo-cap, cut-scene work, voice-overs, etc.). No biggie. Many games list multiple studios while having a main one at the helm. I wouldn't think too much of it. It's not like one dev team is handling the entirety of MGS5 development.

Batzi

Banned

Not necessarily. We don't know when the coma happens and for all we know, it might have occurred 6 years after PW and that would be around 1980. Now add 9 years to that and you are in 1989 which means that Solid Snake would be 17 years old.

backlot

They could easily be doing some of the development (like mo-cap, cut-scene work, voice-overs, etc.). No biggie. Many games list multiple studios while having a main one at the helm. I wouldn't think too much of it. It's not like one dev team is handling the entirety of MGS5 development.

But Moby Dick Studios is CG!

Hystzen

If it ends with Big Boss taking over Foxhound you will hear him giving a young recruit the codename Solid Snake

I still wish Kojima will remake MG1+2 into 1 game that be perfect end for the MGS saga

TedNindo

To me this seems far more impressive then what I've seen from BF4. Kojipro's attention to detail is pretty much unrivaled. The look behind their engine and work process pretty much confirmed that for me.

REV 09

i'll probably get shot for saying this, but

they should make a western one of these. that reveal trailer was all kinds of stupid.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
So Ishmael could be Chico, right? He was saved from Camp Omega by Big Boss @Ground Zeroes, they return to Mother Base and after the accident Kaz, Big Boss and Chico are at the hospital and Chico is watching over Big Boss for 9 years.

Aesop - Detective GAF on duty

tumblr_lojsifui2R1qjazks.gif

Top Bottom