• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

BLfE08JCEAA-nkz.jpg:large

MormaPope

Banned
Seems Big Boss is going to fight and build his own legacy based on what he wants in the world, versus looking after other people's values. I expect Big boss to end up being a much darker and brooding character by the end of the game.

Izick

That's not about Big Boss. It's about why Kojima keeps making new MGS games. Not for the future, not for love, but for...
the La Li Lu Le Lo..

Getting really tired of Kojima's penchant for over-explaining. Did we really need yet another Big Boss game? Peace Walker already made him into a wholly unlikeable bastard - do we really need to explore his psyche and motivations for going bad even more?

I still think the series would be better served by a reboot or an entirely new storyline with a new hero, set in the same universe. All this retconning and over-explaining is just making things too bloated.

That whole Sutherland dude replacing Hayter? That's trolljima at work. He obviously asked the sutherland dude if he could use his name as a joke. We should all expect glorious Hayter to voice snake in this game.

Getting really tired of Kojima's penchant for over-explaining. Did we really need yet another Big Boss game? Peace Walker already made him into a wholly unlikeable bastard - do we really need to explore his psyche and motivations for going bad even more?

I still think the series would be better served by a reboot or an entirely new storyline with a new hero, set in the same universe. All this retconning and over-explaining is just making things too bloated.

Watch it turn out that The Phantom Pain is about the long lost fourth clone, Plasma Snake.

That whole Sutherland dude replacing Hayter? That's trolljima at work. He obviously asked the sutherland dude if he could use his name as a joke. We should all expect glorious Hayter to voice snake in this game.

Why would Kiefer Sutherland, one of the most high-paid and in-demand actors in the business, agree to help a Japanese guy he's never met or likely even heard of before play a joke on video game fans?

That makes no sense at all.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
So underneath "not" is a claw-like hand you would see on a prosthetic arm/hand?

Yeah. The hand above it looks like it's holding a pistol. Big Boss confirmed.

Mikey Jr.

Said it once and I'll say it again. Solid Snake will most likely show up in MGSV.

Now, you can not have Hayter voice Boss and Solid, especially if they are speaking to each other. So Hayter is in the game, as Solid Snake, but not Big Boss.

Said it once and I'll say it again. Solid Snake will most likely show up in MGSV.

Now, you can not have Hayter voice Boss and Solid, especially if they are speaking to each other. So Hayter is in the game, as Solid Snake, but not Big Boss.

But doesn't MGS5 take place right after Peace Walker? Snake would be way too young to be voiced by Hayter.

Mikey Jr.

But doesn't MGS5 take place right after Peace Walker? Snake would be way too young to be voiced by Hayter.

The Phantom Pain takes place 9 years later while Boss is in a coma.

Add in Solid's advanced aging, and you could have a teenager Snake.

I think Hayter could pull that off.

The Phantom Pain takes place 9 years later while Boss is in a coma.

Add in Solid's advanced aging, and you could have a teenager Snake.

I think Hayter could pull that off.

I think Solid wasn't actually growing up faster than a normal human though.
They just gave him an expiration date basically, to have further control (they could just make new clones). After a certain time he ages rapidly to die off.

I think Solid wasn't actually growing up faster than a normal human though.
They just gave him an expiration date basically, to have further control (they could just make new clones). After a certain time he ages rapidly to die off.

That was the impression I got as well. Snake didn't know he was a clone - if he was aging super-rapidly even as a child, he would've known something was up. He definitely aged at a normal speed until his clone body started breaking down. Then the acceleration kicked in, and he ended up how he was in MGS4.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Solid could appear in a post credits scene and I'm sure most people would be extremely happy with just that.

If he does show up in the game proper - we don't know the time span of The Phantom Pain - it will be everything we could ask for, and more.

I also can't wait to see Big Boss turn into a complete villain. E3 can't come soon enough... or maybe we'll see everything at the Konami conference. That's fine, too!

BadAss2961

Totally agreed.

But oh well... This game is still going to be something else. Every numbered MGS has been.

Batzi

Banned
Kojima is teasing the theme of MGSV.

theme.png

4 letter word that ends with 'e' which is not "love", "hate" or "fate".

If we do the maths:

26x26x26x1 - 3 = 17573 possible combinations. Of course not all of them are english words.

I wrote a program in java that filters out the non-english words using a wordlist of 40000-50000 words and the final list of english words composed of 4 letters ending with 'e' turned out to be much smaller in size which narrowed down the possibilities to 372 words in total.

Here's the list of possible candidates for MGSV's theme:

brae, babe, abbe, hebe, gibe, jibe, lobe, robe, cube, rube, tube, face, lace, mace, pace, race, dice, lice, mice, nice, rice, vice, once, bade, dade, fade, jade, made, vade, wade, cede, aide, bide, fide, hide, ride, side, tide, vide, wide, bode, code, mode, node, rode, jude, nude, rude, hyde, ieee, agee, thee, whee, flee, glee, knee, free, tree, cafe, safe, fife, life, rife, wife, cage, gage, page, rage, sage, wage, edge, doge, loge, urge, huge, luge, ache, brie, erie, bake, cake, fake, jake, jake, lake, make, rake, sake, take, wake, bike, hike, like, mike, pike, coke, joke, poke, woke, yoke, duke, juke, luke, luke, puke, dyke, tyke, bale, dale, gale, hale, kale, male, pale, sale, tale, vale, wale, yale, able, idle, ogle, aile, bile, file, mile, nile, pile, tile, vile, wile, bole, cole, dole, hole, mole, pole, role, sole, vole, isle, mule, rule, yule, axle, kyle, lyle, pyle, came, dame, fame, game, lame, name, same, tame, acme, dime, lime, rime, time, come, dome, home, lome, rome, some, tome, fume, bane, cane, dane, jane, kane, lane, mane, pane, sane, vane, wane, gene, rene, dine, fine, line, mine, nine, pine, sine, tine, vine, wine, anne, bone, cone, done, gone, hone, lone, none, tone, zone, dune, june, rune, tune, dyne, oboe, shoe, aloe, floe, sloe, cape, gape, nape, rape, tape, pipe, ripe, wipe, cope, dope, hope, lope, pope, rope, dupe, type, bare, care, dare, fare, hare, mare, pare, rare, ware, acre, here, mere, were, ogre, dire, eire, fire, hire, mire, sire, tire, wire, bore, core, fore, gore, lore, more, pore, sore, tore, wore, yore, cure, jure, lure, pure, sure, lyre, pyre, base, case, ease, lase, vase, lise, rise, vise, wise, else, bose, dose, hose, jose, lose, nose, pose, rose, apse, fuse, muse, ruse, bate, date, fate, gate, hate, kate, late, mate, nate, pate, rate, tate, fete, mete, pete, tete, bite, cite, kite, mite, rite, site, ante, dote, note, rote, tote, vote, cute, jute, lute, mute, byte, laue, ague, blue, clue, flue, glue, true, cave, dave, eave, gave, have, nave, pave, rave, save, wave, neve, dive, five, give, hive, jive, live, wive, cove, dove, hove, jove, love, move, rove, wove, howe, lowe, rowe, luxe, skye, frye, daze, faze, gaze, haze, laze, maze, raze, size, doze, ooze

Batzi

Banned
I think we found our winner.

a possibility yes. Almost everything related to The Phantom Pain project was a ruse from the Moby Dick Studio ruse to David's voice not to mention the title itself(Phantom Pain) is a form of deception our minds play on us. A synonym for deception? Ruse. I have written something about that theme back in April over at the IGN boards, here's a detailed explanation of the theme: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/gene-meme-scene-sense-peace.452658443/page-2#post-472350428

Slime

Banned
Already posted this in the other thread, but my guess is "Home." Game starts with Big Boss losing it (Mother Base), and ends with him finding it again (Outer Heaven). Or something.

Drencrom

Kojima is teasing the theme of MGSV.

theme.png

4 letter word that ends with 'e' which is not "love", "hate" or "fate".

If we do the maths:

26x26x26x1 - 3 = 17573 possible combinations. Of course not all of them are english words.

I wrote a program in java that filters out the non-english words using a wordlist of 40000-50000 words and the final list of english words composed of 4 letters ending with 'e' turned out to be much smaller in size which narrowed down the possibilities to 372 words in total.

Here's the list of possible candidates for MGSV's theme:

V has
come
too

Top Bottom