• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Solidino

new boss game reveal

wO0I3c2.jpg

Z3M0G

Kojima is teasing the theme of MGSV.

theme.png

4 letter word that ends with 'e' which is not "love", "hate" or "fate".

If we do the maths:

26x26x26x1 - 3 = 17573 possible combinations. Of course not all of them are english words.

I wrote a program in java that filters out the non-english words using a wordlist of 40000-50000 words and the final list of english words composed of 4 letters ending with 'e' turned out to be much smaller in size which narrowed down the possibilities to 372 words in total.

Here's the list of possible candidates for MGSV's theme:

I see that each theme word began with a letter which is included in the games acronym... Since this new game is labeled "MGSV" instead of "MGS5", I'm going to go with the theme starting with the letter "V".

"vile", "vane", "vise" are my bets.

Batzi

Banned
I see that each theme word began with a letter which is included in the games acronym... Since this new game is labeled "MGSV" instead of "MGS5", I'm going to go with the theme starting with the letter "V".

"vile", "vane", "vise" are my bets.

Good point

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Ache

Already posted this in the other thread, but my guess is "Home." Game starts with Big Boss losing it (Mother Base), and ends with him finding it again (Outer Heaven). Or something.

I like this one though. "Home" seems like a theme worth exploring.

theme.png

If we do the maths:

26x26x26x1 - 3 = 17573 possible combinations. Of course not all of them are english words.

I wrote a program in java that filters out the non-english words using a wordlist of 40000-50000 words and the final list of english words composed of 4 letters ending with 'e' turned out to be much smaller in size which narrowed down the possibilities to 372 words in total.

I'm ashamed you didn't do it in Assembly.

I know Kojima put ???e but he's probably tricking us. Maybe it's a 3, 5 or 6 letter word.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

theme.png

If we do the maths:

It's ooze. I cracked the case, guys.

Mr. RHC

I was imagining DREAM, but maybe it does not work as a theme.

Someone on twitter suggested "TIME", which is a top candidate imo. Someone else suggested "VICE", not that bad either.

Edit: OGRE, of course, would be genius, good guess, everyone.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
But Ruse ain't ballin'.

Kojima said no one that tweeted him got it right so far.

Alienous

Interestingly, it looks like MGSV isn't going to be the first commercial game to use FOX ENGINE, with Pro Evolution 2014 coming out later this year (which uses FOX ENGINE).

Most developer led engines launch it with a title from that developer. So, maybe Kojima isn't to stressed, or is he going to try to put something out (for instance, Ground Zeroes) before October/November 2013?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Vice or Same are what I think it is.

Vice has actual connotations of it being an era of greed which is what the philosophers legacy could have caused.

Same could be an idea that no matter what you do everything always happens the same way. Could be used in place of fate another one of my ideas.

Interestingly, it looks like MGSV isn't going to be the first commercial game to use FOX ENGINE, with Pro Evolution 2014 coming out later this year (which uses FOX ENGINE).

Most developer led engines launch it with a title from that developer. So, maybe Kojima isn't to stressed, or is he going to try to put something out (for instance, Ground Zeroes) before October/November 2013?

I would be extremely ecstatic if Ground Zeroes was a next gen launch title.

also, "Time" is really good as well.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Didn't "Scene" already partially cover Time as a theme? How a person's environment - and the era they lived in - can potentially affect their ideals? Would seem a bit redundant to revisit that in MGSV.

"Scene" was a pretty contrived word for conveying that theme anyway. But hey, gotta make that MGS acronym fit somehow.

Didn't "Scene" already partially cover Time as a theme? How a person's environment - and the era they lived in - can potentially affect their ideals? Would seem a bit redundant to revisit that in MGSV.

"Scene" was a pretty contrived word for conveying that theme anyway. But hey, gotta make that MGS acronym fit somehow.

'Scene' was perfectly fine since it was about the environment around someone that influences them. It wasn't about time but surroundings.

Catalix

'Scene' was perfectly fine since it was about the environment around someone that influences them. It wasn't about time but surroundings.

IIRC, Kojima described it as a multifaceted theme. How both place and time can condition a person or group's values.

That's practically all the Boss would talk about, as well. She felt "The Times" are what ultimately governed things.

nib95

Banned
Fucking fantastic trailer. Looks phenomenal. But graphically seems downgraded from the last reveal? Please tell me there's a next gen version coming soon!

Top Bottom