• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i have a question for someone more knowledgeable;

if the xbone version of a particular game is half the resolution but still has framerate issues, it must be because of bandwidth/rop issues, right? given how the xbone has only 2/3rds of the shaders (rather than 1/2), then the shader cores of xbone are going underutilised in a game that runs at 720p?

pretty shockingly mis-designed if true

i have a question for someone more knowledgeable;

if the xbone version of a particular game is half the resolution but still has framerate issues, it must be because of bandwidth/rop issues, right? given how the xbone has only 2/3rds of the shaders (rather than 1/2), then the shader cores of xbone are going underutilised in a game that runs at 720p?

pretty shockingly mis-designed if true

Not a mis-design. It's a decision by Microsoft mostly to make it an all in one media device. DDR3 is cheaper and for non-gaming applications it has less latency. They used the die space on the APU to have ESRAM to band aid the bandwidth difference.

So it's more like a pretty shockingly poor decision, not a mis-design.

It looks a bit too soft for a 1080P game. I wonder what kind of post-process AA they're using. I expect the frame rate to be close to what we saw with TR ps4.
60 fps during heavily scripted scenes(if there's any in gz) but usually around 40's during heavy fire fight scenes when there's a lot of alpha effects present.

Probably, though if PP is built from ground up with x1/ps4 in mind, I don't know if it's going to hit 60 fps. We'll see.
Although I prefer 60fps(60fps is a must for fighters, racing games), for everything else, I can live with rock solid 30 fps and much prefer over fps fluctuating between 30 - 60 fps.

You forgot to add First Person Shooters!

Metfanant

I see what you did there...
You said that the Xbox One GPU was a bottleneck compared to the PS4's GPU, what I say is that Xbox One GPU is a bottleneck only if it doesn't allow other Xbox One hardware parts to perform as they should.

The comparison of course has to be there, but what I said is that THE COMPARISON ONLY HAVE SENSE INSIDE THE SAME EXACT MACHINE.
In your "Pentium 4" example, a Pentium 4 would be a bottleneck if coupled with a Crossfire R290X and trying to run any normal game and it wouldn't be a bottleneck if coupled with a vodoo3 and trying to run any game conceived for that GPU.
And the P4 wouldn't be a bottleneck for the Vodoo3 even if in the same store that sells that PC, just at its side, another PC with a Core I7 was on sale.

Bottlenecks exist inside a certain piece of hardware, so if the Xbox One's GPU is a bottleneck or not is independent of the PS4 GPU or anything inside a PS4 or any other hardware available on the market.

then i would submit to you this comparison...

first, consider the fact that the PS4 and Xbone use basically identical CPU architectures (some might argue the Xbone is MORE powerful on the CPU front because of the clock speed increase)....

then, take code for some future multiplatform game on the PS4...lets say CoD MW5 which is way down the line...1080p/60fps and its pushing the PS4 hardware pretty hard...and now DIRECTLY port it over to the Xbone and see how it runs (now obviously i know this doesnt translate perfectly but keep following me here)....

IN THEORY...the Xbone's CPU should be able to handle anything that the PS4's CPU can handle (and possibly even more)....but can the Xbone's GPU?? i would argue no, it could not...and would therefore...be a bottleneck...both within its own system...AND in comparison to the PS4...

Mackins

I don't normally look at the IGN comments section when it comes to stuff like this, but oh boy did it bring a doozy of a comment for me to share:

"impartialgamer • a minute ago −
60fps sounds nice, but it is highly unnescesary ,

60fps is not needed, but it is used to make the buyers think they are getting something more

In reality the human eye can't percieve frame rates beyond 27.6, fps greater than that is wasted.

here is a trivia, Bluray films are at 24fps and they look very good.

Google it if you do not believe me , Bluray is 24fps, why would we need more than that?

And also, 1080p is barely notciable, you need a huge screen and actually be within 1 meter of distance to notice the difference, because of proportions."

Good god... I'm on the wrong site, I should be in there learning off those geniuses.

first, consider the fact that the PS4 and Xbone use basically identical CPU architectures (some might argue the Xbone is MORE powerful on the CPU front because of the clock speed increase)....

then, take code for some future multiplatform game on the PS4...lets say CoD MW5 which is way down the line...1080p/60fps and its pushing the PS4 hardware pretty hard...and now DIRECTLY port it over to the Xbone and see how it runs (now obviously i know this doesnt translate perfectly but keep following me here)....

IN THEORY...the Xbone's CPU should be able to handle anything that the PS4's CPU can handle (and possibly even more)....but can the Xbone's GPU?? i would argue no, it could not...and would therefore...be a bottleneck...both within its own system...AND in comparison to the PS4...

There is no bottleneck in relation to different hardware.

Hmmm...I wonder will this be norm or will devs grow more familiar with the x1 and find ways around the power difference.

More importantly, who will have the (arguably) better looking exclusives?

This resolution stuff I think only matters to the enthusiast and hardcore. I think a lot of ppl especially kids are still rocking a 720 set at home

Metfanant

There is no bottleneck in relation to different hardware.

simply put, my point is that a game coded for the PS4's hardware and then ported over to the Xbone, the GPU is going to be a bottleneck...its not gonna have the CU's or the ROPs to keep up...the CPU would generally be a wash

simply put, my point is that a game coded for the PS4's hardware and then ported over to the Xbone, the GPU is going to be a bottleneck...its not gonna have the CU's or the ROPs to keep up...the CPU would generally be a wash

This person knows what they're talking about.

"The Chipworks PS4 teardown last week told us a lot about what’s happened between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in terms of hardware. It turns out that Microsoft’s silicon budget was actually a little more than Sony’s, at least for the main APU. The Xbox One APU is a 363mm^2 die, compared to 348mm^2 for the PS4’s APU. Both use a similar 8-core Jaguar CPU (2 x quad-core islands), but they feature different implementations of AMD’s Graphics Core Next GPUs. Microsoft elected to implement 12 compute units, two geometry engines and 16 ROPs, while Sony went for 18 CUs, two geometry engines and 32 ROPs. How did Sony manage to fit in more compute and ROP partitions into a smaller die area? By not including any eSRAM on-die."

That's from the Anandtech article I just posted.

Bottlenecks only exist inside of a certain hardware. In other words, this only would mean that the Xbox One GPU is less powerful than the PS4's one.
A piece of hardware only becomes bottlenecked when because of one part of it being slow, the rest of the system can't perform as it's expected to perform. PERIOD.

So the GPU is the Xbone's bottleneck then? We don't need to compare it to any other system.

Well the PS4's CPU speed has never ever been confirmed. So that's just a theory as well.

But based on your logic of porting a PS4 game to the X1. Yeah you can think the Xbone CPU will be able to handle whatever it is the PS4 can handle. And yes the GPU is what will be the bottleneck, hence the reduction of resolution since resolution is a GPU thing.

Then we start getting into memory bandwidth issues. High asset textures will flow like butter on a sunny day on the PS4's GDDR5, while I can't believe it's not butter on the X1 needs to be cut up, tiled, and fed directly into that small tube of ESRAM and then fed through the system RAM which results in even lower performance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PnCIa

I dont know why MisterXmedia hasn´t made an insightfull blogpost about this yet...honor among japanese gamedevs and stuff :>

Bottlenecks only exist inside of a certain hardware. In other words, this only would mean that the Xbox One GPU is less powerful than the PS4's one.
A piece of hardware only becomes bottlenecked when because of one part of it being slow, the rest of the system can't perform as it's expected to perform. PERIOD.

dat balance

Metfanant

exactly...so if i port a game straight from the PS4 to the Xbone the GPU is the bottleneck. PERIOD.

Texhex

Banned

IN THEORY...the Xbone's CPU should be able to handle anything that the PS4's CPU can handle (and possibly even more)

This is maybe interesting for you:
PS4 CPU is faster than Xbone's

Confirmed by Neogaf's own Matt (3rd Party Dev):

Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.

exactly...so if i port a game straight from the PS4 to the Xbone the GPU is the bottleneck. PERIOD.

Ports aren't copy/paste jobs. Your scenario is irrelevant. You said bottlenecks only exist in relation to different pieces of hardware, which is completely fucking asinine.

not really. do sub pixel elements shimmer in motion? how does the lighting look in motion? Are animated alpha effects like fire and rain at 30 fps or 60 fps?

If I compare a screenshot of Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider DE, I cannot tell that the world in DE reacts more to the wind than it does in the last gen version. There are so many things that you cannot tell from a screenshot.
Sure, there is also a lot you can't see yet. But there is a pretty large visible difference in iQ, textures, shaders, etc. Even lighting, though you can't tell how it will behave in motion.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
im more surprised with how well the last gen versions still hold up for 7 year old hardware.

Yea...looking at the XBO/360 comparison. Either that PS3/PS4 scene with the fence is a better indicator for vs. pics or the 360 is that much better than the PS3.

But anyone who says the old vs new gen pics dont look that different need to see post #70 with the pics more to their true size. Or look at the source pics. And looking at the source pics...yes last gen looks blurry vs current gen....all pics.

Reiterates my stance.....not buying anymore games for last gen unless its last gen exclusive. Wish I woulda held out on GTA 5 now...

meanspartan

I wonder how long its going to take for all the people saying "well we don't know yet whether the power difference will be significant, it's still early!" to shut up.

IGN's Xbox podcast is notorious for this. We DO know, the GPUs are almost directly comparable. It isn't like Cell where a weird part was used that nobody understood. This is going to be the general rule this gen, Ps4 getting either higher framerates or resolution or both.

No, not at all. This is why I tell you that you don't know what a bottleneck is. It would be a bottleneck if because of the GPU, the CPU or any other part would have to idle and wait for it to finish its tasks.

If that's not the case, then it has no sense to use the word "bottleneck" here.

Metfanant

Ports aren't copy/paste jobs. Your scenario is irrelevant. You said bottlenecks only exist in relation to different pieces of hardware, which is completely fucking asinine.
i didnt say that at all actually

No, not at all. This is why I tell you that you don't know what a bottleneck is. It would be a bottleneck if because of the GPU, the CPU or any other part would have to idle and wait for it to finish its tasks.

If that's not the case, then it has no sense to use the word "bottleneck" here.

umm yes it would...assuming the CPU's are equal (because we have conflicting reports)...there are things the PS4 GPU can do that the Xbone's GPU simply cannot...so im trying to match the performance of the PS4 your bottleneck on the Xbone is going to be in the GPU

BigDug13

That's not fixed for everyone. I have constant problems having consistent framerates on my gaming laptop. I have to download third party programs to add a frame limiter to the 7970m GPU so that I don't constantly see fluctuations from 60fps down to 30fps in open world games. I also don't like how unoptimized many games are for hardware that should theoretically provide greater performance. You have to brute force some games' unoptimized code with beefy hardware.

And constantly being in my menus trying to figure out why my performance is fluctuating is a pain.

Then you get a game like Dark Souls and DSFix and then it becomes worth it when the alternative to my 1080p/60 version is the PS360's 720p/30 version. So it's a mix of frustration and relief depending on the game and not everyone wants to bother.

Every major release has a multi page "performance" thread with a ton of people having issues. You never get that with consoles unless there's a major bug.

Consoles are still the go-to place for "pop in game disc and play" gaming.

Yep. Depending on how you see it, either the Xbox One's slow DDR3 ram or the tiny ESRAM is the bottleneck. Realistically, the ESRAM was meant to solve the problem of the DDR3 bottleneck but the small size of the ESRAM is proving to be also a bottleneck, even though the console is much, much better off with than without it.

Ty4on

Not a mis-design. It's a decision by Microsoft mostly to make it an all in one media device. DDR3 is cheaper and for non-gaming applications it has less latency. They used the die space on the APU to have ESRAM to band aid the bandwidth difference.

So it's more like a pretty shockingly poor decision, not a mis-design.

I'm pretty sure it was. When the boxes were designed the XOne had the advantage of 8GB total RAM, but then DDR3 prices went up (due to less production) and GDDR5 prices went down making it possible for Sony to squeeze in bigger RAM modules for RAM parity. Had MS known this I think it would have been a similar design. Who wouldn't want 50% more raw power for the same or a slightly lower price?

Edit: While the slower memory is a part of the problem you have to remember that the GPU is also a lot smaller (again due to ESRAM). ROPs are important for higher resolutions and the PS4 happens to have twice as many while 1080p happens to be just over twice as many pixels as 720p. Fixing one issue wouldn't automatically make it as fast as the PS4.

CoG

umm yes it would...assuming the CPU's are equal (because we have conflicting reports)...there are things the PS4 GPU can do that the Xbone's GPU simply cannot...so im trying to match the performance of the PS4 your bottleneck on the Xbone is going to be in the GPU

And memory bandwidth. Those ESRAM figures MS throws around are when and if (ever) the stars align properly. PS4 has a consistent giant pipe to a HUGE pool of fast memory.

i didnt say that at all actually

Bottleneck is a specific term regarding the weak point within a specific system. The Xbone GPU is less powerful than the PS4's, it's not a bottleneck, it just doesn't stack up and isn't as capable. In short, you're using the term bottleneck wrong.
No-one is arguing the Xbone doesn't have a technical shortfall, they're arguing that you're using the term bottleneck wrong.

beast786

If no kinect. Why would anyone want to pay same price for a gimped PS4? Seriously, at least Kinect gives a reason from PR point of view with voice command etc.

I'm pretty sure it was. When the boxes were designed the XOne had the advantage of 8GB total RAM, but then DDR3 prices went up (due to less production) and GDDR5 prices went down making it possible for Sony to squeeze in bigger RAM modules for RAM parity. Had MS known this I think it would have been a similar design. Who wouldn't want 50% more raw power for the same or a slightly lower price?

Edit: While the slower memory is a part of the problem you have to remember that the GPU is also a lot smaller (again due to ESRAM). ROPs are important for higher resolutions and the PS4 happens to have twice as many while 1080p happens to be just over twice as many pixels as 720p. Fixing one issue wouldn't automatically make it as fast as the PS4.

Yup I realize memory is only one part of the problem. I was only replying to the fellow above that I think it's not really a mis-design, but more of a decision based on a lot of other factors. Decisions that are now probably haunting Microsoft.

Metfanant said:
Even if the CPU's are equal, a bottleneck means that the CPU of the Xbox One can't perform as much tasks as it should because of the GPU being too slow.
In your example, if the port was a straight up copy-paste then the GPU side of the game would be more impacted than the CPU side of it, but that doesn't mean that the GPU is a bottleneck, it just means that your program is designed towards a more powerful GPU.

In other words, nowadays GPUs are not bottlenecks because nothing strictly depends on their calculations, they're the ones depending on other pieces of hardware like the RAM or the CPU.

Top Bottom