• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Astral Dog

See, I would have been okay with that if it showed intelligence in the second form, and definitely his true form.

In the middle form and full ridley, he acted savage and not intelligent, but he is supposed to be.
Maybe not much the second but it focuses on his 'evil' eyes like recognizing Samus and attacking the marines, its also mentioned (of course) he is intelligent. The last form is typical Ridley but you see it escaping to return again and everybody recognizes it as a threat.

The problem is, that there should have been a real rematch, before Queen Metroid turns him to stone.instead Ridley appears as a scared animal and thats not good at all :/ another missed opportunity

Big Nikus

List is probably fake. MOM had literally one track and it played in the title screen.

Omg I had already noticed that Other M was a poor anagram of Mother, but you made me realise that the acronym of Metroid Other M is MOM...
2deep4me

MOMs are tough.

RagnarokX

yYCCtY6.jpg

I like this added detail. In Metroid 2 and AM2R the spider ball upgrade is just sitting in this crevice for no good reason. In Samus Returns there's a chozo statue in the room, so it implies the upgrade fell and rolled into the crevice.

Big Nikus

I like this added detail. In Metroid 2 and AM2R the spider ball upgrade is just sitting in this crevice for no good reason. In Samus Returns there's a chozo statue in the room, so it implies the upgrade fell and rolled into the crevice.

Hah, that's really cool.

RagnarokX

See, I would have been okay with that if it showed intelligence in the second form, and definitely his true form.

In the middle form and full ridley, he acted savage and not intelligent, but he is supposed to be.

No, he acted intelligent the whole time.

In his first form he manipulated Samus into defeating stronger enemies so he could feast on their flesh and grow.

In his second form he manipulated the creatures on the bottleship, including zebesians, and led them in an assault on Adam's troops, with his real goal being to take out Samus. When Samus runs out to help the troops, Ridley ambushes her. He tactically divided Samus from backup with his troops and went for her head. Then, rather than continue fighting like a mindless monster, he makes a tactical retreat once he gets outmatched. He then lures Samus to a more favorable place to fight her.

And then adult Ridley taunts Samus and also make a retreat after getting licked. And when he retreats that second time he flees to the control center of the bottle ship. Maybe he was planning to do something with the controls/computers.

yuoke

Banned
Maybe not much the second but it focuses on his 'evil' eyes like recognizing Samus and attacking the marines, its also mentioned (of course) he is intelligent. The last form is typical Ridley but you see it escaping to return again and everybody recognizes it as a threat.

The problem is, that there should have been a real rematch, before Queen Metroid turns him to stone.instead Ridley appears as a scared animal and thats not good at all :/ another missed opportunity

Can't disagree there, the final boss battle should have absolutely been Ridley, more powered up and acting eve more intelligent. It would have at least felt way more meaningful than just "nostalgia boss #342". Metroid Queen, Nightmare, and phantoom where seriously just there for shits and giggles it seemed like.

Opa-Pa

Ironically I think Queen Metroid was one of the like 3 things I liked about Other M, haha. Very unexpected throwback.

Phantoon tho lol. A Ridley rematch would have made much more sense.

yuoke

Banned
Ironically I think Queen Metroid was one of the like 3 things I liked about Other M, haha. Very unexpected throwback.

Phantoon tho lol. A Ridley rematch would have made much more sense.

Did you like
when the game expected you to know that power bombs were authorized?

Astral Dog

Heh i liked Phantoom his Sauron eye looked cool and he took control of the pirates (as he was one of their leaders in SM), no other explanation though it was just there 🤗 better battle than the Queen at least.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
The lack of Metroid Prime Menu/Main Theme is very disappointing (or really, Prime 1 in general). Everything other than the Other M songs are good inclusions though - Other M's soundtrack I thought was pretty universally mediocre to bad. A few standout tracks are missing but, really, that's just kinda the nature of a greatest hits CD, you'll always miss something worthwhile.

i'm really pleased with the sound design of the game. One of the reasons that my favorite 2d metroid was that the sound was better than the gba games due to the sound chip of the gba, however the movement control of samus in both games were better than super. With these two combined, super may have some serious competition

The lack of Metroid Prime Menu/Main Theme is very disappointing (or really, Prime 1 in general). Everything other than the Other M songs are good inclusions though - Other M's soundtrack I thought was pretty universally mediocre to bad. A few standout tracks are missing but, really, that's just kinda the nature of a greatest hits CD, you'll always miss something worthwhile.

Other M has actually the best Ridley theme of the franchise, but other than that is pretty crappy. It has the same problem as, for example, Desplat in Godzilla 2014 and the pushing daisies composer in Epic Mickey, composers that are good at less bombastic melodic genres and that dont understand the original material so they do their own thing for this new genre media they habe been hired just to fuck it up.

TheMoon

Also worth noting that Super Metroid and Prime 1/Fusion have gotten OST releases before (ignoring right now how impossibly hard to get some of them are) so giving the others priority makes sense to a degree.

"Main Theme" would be the title animation theme right? All three of the Prime games had fantastic tracks for those.

Probably. As far as I know, Trilogy's only original piece of music was the title theme, so if they're calling that the Main Theme, MP2 and MP3 may follow suit.

Opa-Pa

The CD is such a waste in my eyes. I mean it's an okay collection item, but compilatory soundtracks is what I expect from overpriced Atlus released as a cheap bonus, not a special edition. Especially considering how Nintendo tends not to release official soundtracks for everything and that 3DS fan rips tend to have less than desirable quality.

Goddammit Nintendo, give me the actual Samus Returns soundtrack.

Toxi

Banned
Man, the 3D looks really good in the Eshop trailer. This is the first 3DS game where I might actually play with the 3D on the whole time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, the 3D looks really good in the Eshop trailer. This is the first 3DS game where I might actually play with the 3D on the whole time.

No surprise really, the 3D in Mirror of Fate was great too. Game was a tad dark for it at times, so the ability to increase brightness helped a ton.

Did you play ALBW? i love the game's visuals in 3d. Do you have a new 3ds too? It was really hard to maintain 3d in the original models, but i always let it on when using my new 3ds.

The only problem with the trailer is that there a lot of artifacts in it.

R-User!

You can now preorder the Two Pack Amiibo on Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/ninten...ck-samus-aran-metroid/5931700.p?skuId=5931700

24 bucks with gamer club.

I just ordered mine and I noticed they have the 3DS Samus Edition Console preorderable too:

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/nintendo-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-samus-edition/6051700.p?skuId=6051700

Hope that helps anybody looking out.

If anybody notices Target get their preorder up for the 3DS Samus Console up could they let this thread know? I'd like to preorder from Target to save 5%. Thanks!

RootCause

Shoulder balls suit is the worst design in the series. It's a shame the fusion suit looks like spray paint on top of the shoulder balls suit.

Top Bottom