• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Not sure if this was posted already? Pic of the Fusion suit from a new article on Nintendo's Japanese website:

zNAYKqw.jpg

Article also confirms that track listing for the CD.

Epic fail. They ruined it.

Wooh, I preordered the special edition 3ds XL with the game from Nintendo UK, looks like I get a pretty cool t-shirt with it too. Now I'm super, super exited. This'll be the first limited edition console I own since the Halo Xbox

Just read the Samus Returns preview in my September GameInformer and this remark by Sakamoto stuck out to me:

"Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid."

I think this was fairly obvious to most of us, but this may be the closest we'll get to Nintendo acknowledging Metroid's short-term future depends on this game.

Jofamo

Just read the Samus Returns preview in my September GameInformer and this remark by Sakamoto stuck out to me:

"Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid."

I think this was fairly obvious to most of us, but this may be the closest we'll get to Nintendo acknowledging Metroid's short-term future depends on this game.

Umm. Metroid Prime 4 is announced and coming, and I'd imagine the future of the franchise depends more on that than Samus Returns.

This quote implies two things though - that the future of 2D Metroid depends on this game, and that Sakamoto is seemingly not involved in Prime 4.

yuoke

Banned

But boycotting the game because of amiibos will show that people just don't want amiibos anymore, r-right?

Umm. Metroid Prime 4 is announced and coming, and I'd imagine the future of the franchise depends more on that than Samus Returns.

This quote implies two things though - that the future of 2D Metroid depends on this game, and that Sakamoto is seemingly not involved in Prime 4.

By Metroid's short-term future, I meant whether that future will include 2D games. And idk about Sakamoto not being involved in Metroid Prime 4. That same GI article mentioned that Sakamoto had some hand in the Metroid Prime trilogy, even though I previously thought it was all Tanabe. So I could see Sakamoto at least supervising MP4, especially since it's moving to a new team.

yuoke

Banned

It determines te future of 2d metroid, which is different to Metroid Prime. People want more 2d metroids too.

13ruce

Banned
But boycotting the game because of amiibos will show that people just don't want amiibos anymore, r-right?

To a company that would mean that the game did not do well enough to warrant a new one, the boycotted amiibo will simply be bought out by scalpers. Since these amiibo are for sure gonna be rare unless they suddenly produce alot of em wich i doubt since they don't even do that for the Zelda line a huge IP.

But boycotting the game will tell no message other than that the game bombed sales wise.

It won't get related to the amiibo at all so i don't see the point to boycotting the game if someone is a huge metroid fan. Just skip the amiibo or take it to social media and news sites.

RRockman

Banned

Lol, but no one would own up to it being a dumb idea now though. Definitely going to buy the game to show my support though, 2017 is the year of comebacks.

100 percent this, such a huge improvement. The Fusion suit in 3D looked like a weird wetsuit.
I always interpereted the weird exterior the Fusion Suit has as the X parasites covering Samus during her operation that died by the Metroid vaccine and solidifyed into what we see.

13ruce

Banned
I always interpereted the weird exterior the Fusion Suit has as the X parasites covering Samus during her operation that died by the Metroid vaccine and solidifyed into what we see.

Wait a sec i always thought it was her zero suit merging with her power suit.

Lol...:p

Top Bottom