• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

13ruce

Banned
Eh would one be lost on the story starting here? This is supposed to be the sequel to Metroid corect?

The 2D games have as much story as a old 2D Sonic game.

So you can safely start here if you want.
Actually Most Metroid games are very beginner/newcomer friendly even Prime, you can always experiece the other games someday if you want but it's not required.

Toxi

Banned
Eh would one be lost on the story starting here? This is supposed to be the sequel to Metroid corect?
It's the sequel to Metroid Zero Mission, but you wouldn't be lost. The game's intro summarizes everything that happened in Zero Mission and establishes what Samus Returns is about.

These aren't really story-heavy games.

Astral Dog

Just read the Samus Returns preview in my September GameInformer and this remark by Sakamoto stuck out to me:

"Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid."

I think this was fairly obvious to most of us, but this may be the closest we'll get to Nintendo acknowledging Metroid's 2D short-term future depends on this game.
I hope Sakamoto gets to make another 2D Metroud someday

13ruce

Banned
I hope Sakamoto gets to make another 2D Metroud someday

Same hopefully the sales are enough to make atleast another one or finally Metroid V.

I would not mind a HD 2.5D sidescroll game on Switch or the one after that. Actually that would be amazing.

Opa-Pa

I agree that it's totally fine to start with this one. You can play Zero Mission after it, which actually makes a lot of emphasis in it being a prequel of sorts so it'd fit.

The best bet would be to use this engine and get a second Metroid out of it by 2019.

Does anyone know if Mirrors of Fate HD runs at 60fps? I wouldn't mind a cheap 2D Metroid game that reuses MS' engine on Switch, but if its the engine itself that compromises frame rate then hell no.

CassSept

That Fusion Suit still looks better than Fusion Varia Suit. Jesus Christ what were they thinking.

v_front.jpg

Cannot believe this game is less than a month away. Less than a month! I'm importing it from the States due to have an NTSC-U 3DS, so will have to wait a little longer for it to get to me in the UK. Argh!!

I love Metroid always and forever.

13ruce

Banned
Well.. technically we had Hunters and FF..
But I'm still so super excited about that... got myself the Samus 3DS too... *fanboyish autistic scream*

Hunters multiplayer was so good prime 4 should have it.

Got the game + amiibo on preorder.

Novocaine

Well.. technically we had Hunters and FF..
But I'm still so super excited about that... got myself the Samus 3DS too... *fanboyish autistic scream*

Yeah I went all out too. Both amiibo and the system on preorder. Will buy the game digitally though.

Capra

I have to wonder whether the lukewarm (at best) reception to the Fusion Suit was half the reason Nintendo's been so hesitant to give us a sequel. I mean yeah, it gets a recolor at the end of the game and people seem to have warmed up to it over the years but it's still an uncharacteristically-definitive departure from the status quo and the look that defined Samus for over a decade.

I don't really buy the whole "not knowing what to do with Samus on the run" excuse I've seen fans bring up in the past. If it's really a problem in terms of a more action-oriented plot encroaching on the established formula of isolation and methodical exploration they can just do what they've always done and pull a soft-reset at the start of the next game (see: Wind Waker's ending theme of burying the past being followed up on years later by the same Link and Zelda founding another Hyrule). And hey, if HAL-Adam and the green things are a problem they can just pull an Alien^3 and nuke the supporting cast from orbit...
jk, but only because I know it'd never happen.

WonderzL

Banned
I have to wonder whether the lukewarm (at best) reception to the Fusion Suit was half the reason Nintendo's been so hesitant to give us a sequel. I mean yeah, it gets a recolor at the end of the game and people seem to have warmed up to it over the years but it's still an uncharacteristically-definitive departure from the status quo and the look that defined Samus for over a decade.

perhaps but they could make it work imo

latest

It can be very similar to her traditional look also

latest

Link_enfant

Is it confirmed that the game will run at 30fps even on New 3DS? Ot is there still a chance we get any improvements on the better hardware?
I'm not sure about Metroid Prime Hunters and Pinball (haven't played that one yet), but that'd be quite disappointing if Samus Returns is the first 30fps game in the franchise :(

TheMoon

Is it confirmed that the game will run at 30fps even on New 3DS? Ot is there still a chance we get any improvements on the better hardware?
I'm not sure about Metroid Prime Hunters and Pinball (haven't played that one yet), but that'd be quite disappointing if Samus Returns is the first 30fps game in the franchise :(

no comments on tech in any way from official sources.

Who wants to take bets that they reveal at the end of the game there is an added Zero Suit Samus escape sequence as was the case in Zero Mission and Other M?

Man, I really hope not.

It was alright in ZM but we really don't need to keep repeating it in every single 2D Metroid game going forward. The Zero Suit escape sequence was especially completely unnessicary in Other M. But then again, what wasn't completely unnecessary in that game...

Opa-Pa

Zero Suit was a mistake, and the less it's acknowledged in future games the better.

And no, I totally don't expect it to go away anytime soon seeing as it's part of the death animation in SR.

yuoke

Banned
Who wants to take bets that they reveal at the end of the game there is an added Zero Suit Samus escape sequence as was the case in Zero Mission and Other M?

Well it wasn't an escape sequence in ZM, it was a full on stealth part. I'm still not a fan of that part, but at least it had some creativity. In other m it was literally just there just to have one last part to have samus running around in her skintight suit.

Opa-Pa

There are some really good remixes, but the lack of original music worries me.

Original music as in Metroid II remixes or 100% new stuff? We're so close to release that I'm going media blackout, but I did find it odd that we heard a Lower Norfair remix in older footage, as good as it was.

JayBabay

Did anyone notice the slowdown in the Gamescom demonstration? It looked like the FPS kept tanking in certain lush environments.

I didn't see this at all during the initial reveal and demonstrations at E3.

yuoke

Banned
So I just got back from Bestbuy to try the demo. It's really great, samus controls right on par with zero mission, except improved. The counter is definitely not broken, you need to have very specific timing for it. I think they did a good job of balancing.

Overall it's very impressive, and the visuals are a lot better in person.

Stopdoor

There are some really good remixes, but the lack of original music worries me.

It's pretty lame how I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, but will probably have this feeling in the back of my head that Metroid may forever be in a rut. I want 2D Metroid to blow me away man, I want a Breath of the Wild level effort in 2D. Wishful thinking. I realize some people would call me out as never satisfied, haha.

Toxi

Banned
Original music as in Metroid II remixes or 100% new stuff? We're so close to release that I'm going media blackout, but I did find it odd that we heard a Lower Norfair remix in older footage, as good as it was.
100% new stuff.

There aren't many Metroid 2 remixes either, but that's more understandable when we're talking about Metroid 2.

So I just got back from Bestbuy to try the demo. It's really great, samus controls right on par with zero mission, except improved. The counter is definitely not broken, you need to have very specific timing for it. I think they did a good job of balancing.

Overall it's very impressive, and the visuals are a lot better in person.
Wait, there's a demo at bestbuy?

yuoke

Banned
100% new stuff.

There aren't many Metroid 2 remixes either, but that's more understandable when we're talking about Metroid 2.

Wait, there's a demo at bestbuy?

Only at a few for the NWC. This weekend it's one in chiacgo and one in LA.

Top Bottom