• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

D.Lo

Other M is apart of the mainline series, like it or not. Once again, it was placed in that timeline on the JP SR site with all the other Sakamoto/R&D1 games. It continues the events of Super Metroid and preludes the events of Fusion (whereas the Prime games basically have their own self contained story). It was also the basis for Samus's appearence in Smash 4, in the same way Super and Zero Mission were for Melee and Brawl respectively. It very clearly wasn't intended just to be some random spinoff.
And yet it isn't numbered. The game itself defines itself as a spinoff.

Same with Fusion: space station, parasitic 'dark clone' as the bad guy, and it steals the 'breeding program gone wrong' and 'female protagonist merged with the Alien' thing from Alien Resurrection.

Prime 2 and 3 also have the weakness of the lame Dark Samus as a protagonist too.
I could live without a Dark protagonist storyline in any future Metroid for the rest of my life.

Hell, I could do without it for any future Nintendo game, period. Dark Link, Dark Mario (Sunshine), Dark Samus (in TWO games), think of something g new, Nintendo!

Mael

Metroid Prime 2 also has Samus removing her suit telephatically
Incidentally it's in the same sequence she reveal the Zero Suit which is a direct input given to retro to mesh well with Zero Mission.
For all we know there's a button inside the suit that we can't see that deactivate the suit.
More fitting if you ask me >.>

I could live without a Dark protagonist storyline in any future Metroid for the rest of my life.

Hell, I could do without it for any future Nintendo game, period. Dark Link, Dark Mario (Sunshine), Dark Samus (in TWO games), think of something g new, Nintendo!

Hell no, Dark Link is awesome and the only one that has any right to actually be there.
Dark Samus was great in how the encounters happened.
Dark Link is the OG, the fights are always awesome and ALBW even showed how you could implement online elements with it.

And the prime games are in between Zero mission and Samus Returns.

The Prime games were spinoffs billed as such.
Other M was always the game they wanted to please 2D Metroid fans after all

RRockman

Banned
I never interpreted it as a lack of confidence. I just figured she needed her ship to put it on and couldn't because the ship was destroyed. I never knew of the mental/spirtual link she had with her suit!

Does that mean that Samus is a...

Stand User?!?!?!?

Mael

I never interpreted it as a lack of confidence. I just figured she needed her ship to put it on and couldn't because the ship was destroyed. I never new of the mental/spirtual link she had with her suit!

For all we know, she removed the suit, put it in storage somewhere in the shit.
Ship got shot, she no longer has access to the suit.
It was not meant to be complicated.

Mael

The Prime games were never billed as "spin off". Metroid Prime was the 3D evolution of Metroid like Ocarina of Time was for Zelda, not a Paper Mario-esque spinoff.

Metroid Prime were billed as spinoff or side story since it was announced.
Metroid Fusion wasn't, hence why it was Metroid IV.
3D Zelda and 3D Mario were made by the core teams behind 2D Zelda and 2D Mario.
3D Metroid was given to noob studio that was in trouble to much fan dismay.
It became the most popular part of Metroid so of course now it's viewed in a better light.

Feffe

Metroid Prime were billed as spinoff or side story since it was announced.
Metroid Fusion wasn't, hence why it was Metroid IV.
3D Zelda and 3D Mario were made by the core teams behind 2D Zelda and 2D Mario.
3D Metroid was given to noob studio that was in trouble to much fan dismay.
It became the most popular part of Metroid so of course now it's viewed in a better light.
Side story is different than "spin off". Majora's Mask was originally "Zelda Gaiden" and has no connection to the main Zelda narrative (Ganondorf, Triforce etc.), but would you label it as a "spinoff"? The same can be said for Minish Cap, which want even made by Nintendo. But it's still a main Zelda.

Edit: See here https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-GameCube/Metroid-Prime-268423.html

It was always considered the 3D evolution of the series, it's the "fourth chapter" after Metroid, II and Super.

D.Lo

Side story is different than "spin off". Majora's Mask was originally "Zelda Gaiden" and has no connection to the main Zelda narrative (Ganondorf, Triforce etc.), but would you label it as a "spinoff"? The same can be said for Minish Cap, which want even made by Nintendo. But it's still a main Zelda.

Edit: See here https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-GameCube/Metroid-Prime-268423.html

It was always considered the 3D evolution of the series, it's the "fourth chapter" after Metroid, II and Super.
Agreed. Gaiden, not spin-off.

Because its in between Super and Fusion
And the Prime games are set between 1 and 2.

Nintendo could have done a numbered sequel. You can even number things that are actually prequels (see Street Fighter) They didn't, other M is is side story set between 3 and 4. It has little consequence either, just a little rough up on a space station. Fusion is that too, but ends with the destruction of SR388, which is a larger implication for history.

Mael

Zelda is a horrible example to use.
Everything being released in the Zelda franchise is "major" and part of the timeline.
as far as the timeline is concerned Four Swords is as important as Twilight Princess.
They've tried to make major releases out of every single Zelda games, even clear spinoffs like 4Swords+.

Metroid Prime is basically akin to Mario Kart.
Sure it's a spinoff but it's a huge release with high budget.

D.Lo

Ridiculous nonsense. It's not anything like Mario Kart, a cute spin-off that makes absolutely no sense as 'cannon', it's bad guys and good guys clowning around together in another genre. And Mario is already a dream-ish lighthearted no-timeline series.

Metroid Prime is same genre, and has all the same principal characteristics (Samus hero defeating bad space pirates who want to use a bad bioweapon), plots, setting, characters, enemies and tone.

Blast Ball, Pinball, Prime 2 multiplayer, these are the Mario Kart style spin offs. Federation Force is the closest thing to a 'main' spin off, as you do not play as Samus.

yuoke

Banned
Everything being released in the Zelda franchise is "major" and part of the timeline.
as far as the timeline is concerned Four Swords is as important as Twilight Princess.
They've tried to make major releases out of every single Zelda games, even clear spinoffs like 4Swords+.

That's a terrible comparison. Prime Pinball is comparable to mario kart...not prime. Prime isn't a spinoff.

RRockman

Banned
I got the code, but it's not up to download yet.

Oh no...it's going to leak soon.

latest

I lovvvvvvvve me some spoilers. Bring on the leak thread!

yuoke

Banned
latest

I lovvvvvvvve me some spoilers. Bring on the leak thread!

I don't want to be spoiled this game of all games. I'll do everything possible to avoid them if leaks happen. I mostly just don't want the game to be pirated though to really affect sales.

Code worked for me too. Remember that it's to be used on the Theme Shop, not the 3DS eShop.

Lol, yea I never used a code for a theme before so I got it now.

M-PG71C

I got my pre-order down on Amazon, but I need to blast through Mario and Rabbids first. I'm really looking forward to this, I haven't played a new 2D Metroid in 13 years (And that was a remake technically, although I guess this one is too lol).

I was 16 when Zero Mission came out, that is hard to believe. :/

Opa-Pa

Can they really access the game with just the pre load? Wouldn't they be missing some necessary key? I thought it wasn't possible at all with at least one person owning it legally first.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh my God the Samus Returns 3DS theme does the "Item Get" jingle every time you open the 3DS.

IT'S SO GOOD

Wamb0wneD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMEu5_XVQ0

And metroid screech when you start a game.

Omfg... Will I really get this theme on a console I won't use? Fucking hell...

The timelline wasn't even a thing when Majoras Mask was made. "akin to Mario Kart." Fucking lmao.

Vidiot

So the only thing in the US collectors edition is the soundtrack, correct? I think I'll cancel my gamestop preorder of it and just get the standard game from Amazon. I don't want to pay like $15-$20 more for a soundtrack.

yuoke

Banned
Omfg... Will I really get this theme on a console I won't use? Fucking hell...

The timelline wasn't even a thing when Majoras Mask was made. "akin to Mario Kart." Fucking lmao.

Yea, lol, Nintendo never gave a fuck about the timeline. It wasn't even a thing in consideration to people until windwaker. Then a few more games came out that basically split lore up.

Top Bottom