• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Is it totally nuts that, despite having no real history with the Metroid franchise, I'm considering buying a N3DS XL for this? Something I can't put my finger on just makes me really want to play it : /

I mean, I want the Radiant Historia + Strange Journey remakes but Idk if they're even coming west....

Kindekuma

Banned
I upgraded my pre-order to the Special Edition. I got burned on not getting the Trilogy Steelbook, so now I'm learning my lesson.

Is it totally nuts that, despite having no real history with the Metroid franchise, I'm considering buying a N3DS XL for this? Something I can't put my finger on just makes me really want to play it : /

I mean, I want the Radiant Historia + Strange Journey remakes but Idk if they're even coming west....

D O

I T

3ds has a huge lineup so you're bound to find even more games to play

D O

I T

3ds has a huge lineup so you're bound to find even more games to play

Yeah. I'm sure I'd find quite a bit. I think I want 3DS rather than a cheaper 2DS just because the 3D is really nice...like its subtle but its 3D that works for me in some games. Even if not all of them take advantage of it.

Now to start looking at the library for picks...

Edit: @TheMoon welp thats good. For some reason I had myself convinced they were not.

TheMoon

Yeah. I'm sure I'd find quite a bit. I think I want 3DS rather than a cheaper 2DS just because the 3D is really nice...like its subtle but its 3D that works for me in some games. Even if not all of them take advantage of it.

Now to start looking at the library for picks...

Edit: @TheMoon welp thats good. For some reason I had myself convinced they were not.

probably got lost during E3 season

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but there is a Samus Returns 3DS theme on My Nintendo for 20 gold coins. The theme has the remixed Super Metroid theme if anyone is interested. You might have to do some digging because it's not featured, but it's totally there.

Chitown B

preordered digitally today

I upgraded my pre-order to the Special Edition. I got burned on not getting the Trilogy Steelbook, so now I'm learning my lesson.

burned how? what can you not play that you could have played with that version? Seems a bit frivolous

Dorygrant

Got to play the game at Fan Expo Canada. I was told its the final build. Got to play up to the first metroid fight. If you know techniques like wall jumping the game seems to have more extras sooner (expansions). It feels good to play and the L button aiming was great and fluid. Felt Metroid and had some little cutscenes to introduce stuff. 3D depth is pretty intense. Gonna be a good time.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but there is a Samus Returns 3DS theme on My Nintendo for 20 gold coins. The theme has the remixed Super Metroid theme if anyone is interested. You might have to do some digging because it's not featured, but it's totally there.

US only? Can't find it in the UK (unfortunately!)

One thing worth noting, the text in this game's intro is played out from a 3rd person perspective instead of coming from Samus. Super, Fusion and Zero Mission
and AM2R
all had some sort of monologue from Samus before the game begins.

Toxi

Banned
One thing worth noting, the text in this game's intro is played out from a 3rd person perspective instead of coming from Samus. Super, Fusion and Zero Mission
and AM2R
all had some sort of monologue from Samus before the game begins.
Prime PAL had a third person narrator in the intro. So it's not unprecedented.

(Though I will always prefer Prime's intro without narration).

Kindekuma

Banned
preordered digitally today

burned how? what can you not play that you could have played with that version? Seems a bit frivolous

By burned I meaned I missed out on getting the steel book with all the trimmings attached like the artbook and whatnot. Now for a complete collection of MPT on eBay, it isn't exactly cheap.

Dammit Nintendo, let me buy this for my Switch! Not getting a 3DS for it, so I guess I'll just have to wait for MP4.
i wanted to touch upon this since it's still filtering in months after the game's announcement and in pretty much every SAmus Returns thread.

From a logic stand point why is this for 3DS for the time being:
  • Larger user base at a more accesible price with the 3DS platform.
  • Project was in development substantially before the Switch was out, maybe back to 2015?
  • The Switch is still supply constrained and Nintendo expects this issues to continue even past hollyday season.
  • There's nothing that prevents an eventual port happening for the Switch.
If you announce and release the game for both platforms at the same time there's the chance that the game's performance is trunkated on the 3DS and that it doesn't reach it's full sales potential on the Switch due to supply constraints.

And eventual port can totally be in the cards. And it makes sense to announce when it has had enough time to stretch it's legs on the 3DS and when the Switch reaches higher sales numbers. There's also the benefit that with extra time the potential Switch version to get some enhancements beyond doing the exact same game just in a higher resolution.

i think when we put all of this togheter it makes sense. At least more than stumping the food in the ground and demanding for the game to be on the Switch without considering the implications it might have for it's sales performance.

TheMoon

i wanted to touch upon this since it's still filtering in months after the game's announcement and in pretty much every SAmus Returns thread.

From a logic stand point why is this for 3DS for the time being:
  • Larger user base at a more accesible price with the 3DS platform.
  • Project was in development substantially before the Switch was out, maybe back to 2015?
  • The Switch is still supply constrained and Nintendo expects this issues to continue even past hollyday season.
  • There's nothing that prevents an eventual port happening for the Switch.
If you announce and release the game for both platforms at the same time there's the chance that the game's performance is trunkated on the 3DS and that it doesn't reach it's full sales potential on the Switch due to supply constraints.

And eventual port can totally be in the cards. And it makes sense to announce when it has had enough time to stretch it's legs on the 3DS and when the Switch reaches higher sales numbers. There's also the benefit that with extra time the potential Switch version to get some enhancements beyond doing the exact same game just in a higher resolution.

i think when we put all of this togheter it makes sense. At least more than stumping the food in the ground and demanding for the game to be on the Switch without considering the implications it might have for it's sales performance.

Also the fact that it's simply better on 3DS thanks to dual screens allowing for one last hurrah for the objectively superior UI and the 3D depth being utilized to the fullest. I wish people weren't so hung up on the 240p nonsense.

I'll be surprised if there is never Switch port.

Still buying for 3DS day one.

Honestly any Switch owners who don't have a 3DS are missing out. The library is insane. Hell, A Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games ever.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'll be surprised if there is never Switch port.

Still buying for 3DS day one.

Honestly any Switch owners who don't have a 3DS are missing out. The library is insane. Hell, A Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games ever.
Hell I have a Switch with like all the major releases save for Arms and I'm all in on getting the Samus 3DS. Will be upgrading from my Link Between Worlds 3DS. Already ordered a bunch of accessories though funny thing is I've yet to preorder the game itself lol.

13ruce

Banned
Just speculating, I just can't believe they showed the final boss of the game before release that's just stupid.... and since Zero Mission had a secret final boss too.

Ah yes makes sense.

Found out they added a new boss already to the game too wich was posted on NoA's twitter a few days ago (teaser too).

And previews showed/said they added more rooms etc to area's and the map and changed some things so yeah there will probably be a entire new sequence in the game after the final boss or a secret area or well something atleast.

Because they never really showed a final boss on twitter before i think.

It's Sakamoto. Expect a "Zero Mission" twist.

Yeah after thinking a bit i am certainly expect something like that.

Nere

Ah yes makes sense.

Found out they added a new boss already to the game too wich was posted on NoA's twitter a few days ago (teaser too).

And previews showed/said they added more rooms etc to area's and the map and changed some things so yeah there will probably be a entire new sequence in the game after the final boss or a secret area or well something atleast.

Because they never really showed a final boss on twitter before i think.

What I predict will happen is, when you save the baby metroid and while going to your ship Ridley will attack you trying to abduct the metroid, you will fight his as the final boss and beat him but not kill him obviously, then while you are leaving with the spaceship to hand it the last metroid to the station he will follow samus and continue the events of Super Metroid.

Edit: Poster above ^^ had the same idea didn't even read it until after posting lol.

TheMoon

Ridley making a first attempt at grabbing the Baby metroid during the post queen sequence, maybe? 2 is the only Sakamoto game without a Ridley fight, after all, wouldn't be surprised if he corrected that.

Well 2 is not a Sakamoto game at all :D

Or was that a Freudian Slip and you just meant only Metroid game without a Ridley fight?

Which prominent 3DS titles have been ported to the Switch so far again?

Well there is ... Azure Striker Gunvolt ... Mom Hid My Game ... and ... yea :D

Well 2 is not a Sakamoto game at all :D

Or was that a Freudian Slip and you just meant only Metroid game without a Ridley fight?

I just didn't know it wasn't originally a Sakamoto title. I assumed incorrectly that all the 2D metroids were his.

It's also not the only game without a Ridley fight, Prime 2 doesn't have one either (pattern?)

RagnarokX

Ridley making a first attempt at grabbing the Baby metroid during the post queen sequence, maybe? 2 is the only Sakamoto game without a Ridley fight, after all, wouldn't be surprised if he corrected that.

If I were doing it, I would have a post sequence where Samus returns to SR388 and explores a bit until she almost discovers the X, but before she can realize what she's found she receives the distress call from Ceres. The intro to Super plays out, but Samus has all her upgrades when she fights Ridley. At the end of the fight, Ridley damages Samus' suit so she loses all her upgrades and escapes, you escape Ceres, and the game ends with Samus flying off to Zebes.

Super's narration says Ridley's attack happens while Samus is in her ship, but small retcons wouldn't hurt considering Zero Mission and this game are already changing so much.

If I were doing it, I would have a post sequence where Samus returns to SR388 and explores a bit until she almost discovers the X, but before she can realize what she's found she receives the distress call from Ceres. The intro to Super plays out, but Samus has all her upgrades when she fights Ridley. At the end of the fight, Ridley damages Samus' suit so she loses all her upgrades and escapes, you escape Ceres, and the game ends with Samus flying off to Zebes.

Super's narration says Ridley's attack happens while Samus is in her ship, but small retcons wouldn't hurt considering Zero Mission and this game are already changing so much.

That sounds really cool, but also the kind of thing I'm not sure I'd want them to do if the plan wasn't next to fully remake super.

After this page of the thread, I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't anything extra at the end, haha.

WonderzL

Banned

amazing

II

170902-samus-returns-routing0.jpg

SR

amazing
II
SR
Fantastic, usually it's the other way around these days, haha.

Oooh, and reading the article they added teleporters! I find it so frustrating when Metroidvanias don't include those, it makes backtracking for missed items and upgrades so much easier and faster.

Is there no way to purchase this like a regular human being? I keep things simple with nintendo, console and physical, so I dont really know much about digital purchases or this coin business.

Top Bottom