• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

RagnarokX

For reference, here is the timeline nintendo officially putout on the zero mission site. This is official, and Prime is right there. So Prime is canon.

http://metroid.jp/metroid_version2/history/index.html

Creators can change their minds? Prime 3 took things in such a different direction that I don't think it fits well with the games that would come after it if it was one canon. I don't get the aversion to that. Both universes would be their own canon and get their own games and be free to go in their own directions.

But the Prime games also have nothing to do with the main story of Metroid, so it doesn't make sense to include them in a timeline for this game anyway.

Feffe

Which problems does Prime 3 brings?
The Prime series works between I and II, they just have to remember the final battle between Samus and the Pirates is in Super.

Tanabe agrees there's no problem (but he doesn't remembered the correct spot of the Prime series, oh well)

Tanabe said:
First off, [Yoshio] Sakamoto is behind the main series, taking care of all of that, the timeline. I’m in charge of the Prime series. I had the conversation with him to decide where exactly would be a good spot for me to stick the Prime universe into that whole timeline and the best place would be between Metroid II and Super Metroid. As you know, there are multiple titles in the Metroid Prime series, but everything takes place in that very specific point. Metroid Series go down the line, but with the Prime Universe, we have to stretch sideways to expand it as much as we can in that specific spot

RagnarokX

The Prime series works between I and II, they just have to remember the final battle between Samus and the Pirates is in Super.

Tanabe agrees there's no problem (but he doesn't remembered the correct spot of the Prime series, oh well)

Prime 3 is too big to take place between I and II, imo. Samus saving the entire universe from a threat even bigger threat than the metroids and the x. And it took things in a way more military-focused direction that doesn't really mesh well with how the military is depicted in later games.

Toxi

Banned
If you define Metroid canon as "Sakamoto's vision", then that means the original Metroid 2 wasn't canon before AM2R's announcement, because it didn't involve Sakamoto and Sakamoto's games, Super Metroid, Fusion, and Other M, contradict it.

Or we could just accept that "Metroid canon" is the conglomeration of a number of media from different creative minds that resemble a mostly coherent universe, a universe that is constantly going revision as new games and remakes are added and sequels/prequels change the details of associated games.

yuoke

Banned
Prime 3 is too big to take place between I and II, imo. Samus saving the entire universe from a threat even bigger threat than the metroids and the x. And it took things in a way more military-focused direction that doesn't really mesh well with how the military is depicted in later games.

Who is to say prime 3 didn't take place a few years before Metroid 2/Samus Returns? They wouldn't keep bringing up old news.

RagnarokX

The final boss of Other M is literally killed by nameless military red shirts with assault rifles.

They don't kill the Metroid Queen ;)

But my point is the Metroid Prime 3 shows a military with huge ships engaging in massive space battles and invading entire planets.

The mainline game military is more like the Alien Franchise. Much smaller in scope, which helps Samus stand out and make sense why they need to hire Samus.

D.Lo

If you define Metroid canon as "Sakamoto's vision", then that means the original Metroid 2 wasn't canon before AM2R's announcement, because it didn't involve Sakamoto and Sakamoto's games, Super Metroid, Fusion, and Other M, contradict it.

Or we could just accept that "Metroid canon" is the conglomeration of a number of media from different creative minds that resemble a mostly coherent universe, a universe that is constantly going revision as new games and remakes are added and sequels/prequels change the details of associated games.
How does Super Metroid contradict Metroid II? Or Fusion or Other M for that matter.

Toxi

Banned
They don't kill the Metroid Queen ;)
They easily could have with those ice pistols capable of one-shotting Samus Aran.

But my point is the Metroid Prime 3 shows a military with huge ships engaging in massive space battles and invading entire planets.

The mainline game military is more like the Alien Franchise. Much smaller in scope, which helps Samus stand out and make sense why they need to hire Samus.
Other M is pretty explicit that the Federation military is not small potatoes.
Samus in Other M said:
Why go to such lengths at all? With just a small flexing of the Galactic Federation's military force, they should have been able to destroy a facility of this scope with ease. So why didn't they...?

Other M in general suffers from being a bizarrely mundane vision of the Metroid universe. All the new characters are humans wearing labcoats and military gear. Iconic alien civilizations of the series either go unmentioned (The Chozo) or are marginalized (The Space Pirates). Levels are generic futuristic labs and cliche jungle, fire, and ice areas.

And perhaps most glaringly, Mother Brain is resurrected as a blonde woman in a labcoat.

Toxi

Banned
How does Super Metroid contradict Metroid II? Or Fusion or Other M for that matter.
Samus loses all of her power-ups offscreen between games despite Super Metroid being an immediate sequel. She beats dozens of unfreezable Metroids by blasting them to death with missiles. The Omega Metroid in Fusion is only weak to the ice beam, the reverse of Metroid 2, so there could be the Super Metroid-style ending where you get a final power-up beam from another character's death.

Those are contradictions. The last one is pretty damn important since it's used for the climactic battle.

D.Lo

Other M in general suffers from being a bizarrely mundane vision of the Metroid universe. All the new characters are humans wearing labcoats and military gear. Iconic alien civilizations of the series either go unmentioned (The Chozo) or are marginalized (The Space Pirates). Levels are generic futuristic labs and cliche jungle, fire, and ice areas.
Same with Fusion: space station, parasitic 'dark clone' as the bad guy, and it steals the 'breeding program gone wrong' and 'female protagonist merged with the Alien' thing from Alien Resurrection.

Prime 2 and 3 also have the weakness of the lame Dark Samus as a protagonist too.

Samus loses all of her power-ups offscreen between games despite Super Metroid being an immediate sequel. She beats dozens of unfreezable Metroids by blasting them to death with missiles. The Omega Metroid in Fusion is only weak to the ice beam, the reverse of Metroid 2, so there could be the Super Metroid-style ending where you get a final power-up beam.

Those are contradictions. The last one is pretty damn important since it's used for the climactic battle.
Eh, the queen in Fusion sure, but the Metroids have shed their shells in Metroid II so that's easily handwaveable as the mutations having different strengths and weaknesses. And the no powers thing a problem with 3, not II, and 3 contradicting II despite being a direct sequel doesn't make II not cannon, it's just a problem with 3.

RagnarokX

They easily could have with those ice pistols capable of one-shotting Samus Aran.

Other M is pretty explicit that the Federation military is not small potatoes.

And perhaps most glaringly, Mother Brain is resurrected as a blonde woman in a labcoat.
The ice pistol only worked Samus because of this:
BytyPuO.jpg
NzBtjRV.jpg

I mean yeah, it's the 1994 Super Metroid comic, but Sakamoto has made her suit function like this since at least Zero Mission where she spends a whole section of the game stuck in Zero Suit mode because she gets super bummed out that she got shot down. I wonder if Sakamoto had a hand in this comic.

Being able to blow up the Bottle Ship isn't much of an indicator of how much military power the Federation has. Samus could probably blow it up with her gunship.

I don't like MB or MB, but the idea made sense... kinda? The scientists were lazy and wanted to make sure the metroids would be obedient, and the two things that they knew metroids had been obedient to were Mother Brain and Samus. So they made a clone of Mother Brain that looked like Samus.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
From what I read, Sakamoto doesn't consider the Prime games canon to the Metroid timeline.:(
At some point they must consider it at least as a second or alternative timeline.

Now, about Other M. I don't like what they did with Samus as a character. I mean, in the game like this with so many cut scenes, such a huge emphasis on story and all that it's not okay not to give her voice... it's just downright stupid and... unfortunately they overdid it. Gameplay wise the game was really good imho and i like what they did with the combat, amazing animations and all that, but the first person view was not okay at all, especialy if you compare it to Prime series - night and day. Visuals and art was also realy good along with level design with some minor issues.

Overall, i just and simply enjoyed playing this game and it was the first 2.5D Metroid game done right in terms of gameplay alone. I get why so many people don't like it but it was not a disaster or anything like that in my eyes, it was a good game if you simply forget about story and Samus stuff which so many people just do not wan't to do. Sure it was a linear game for the most part but so was Fusion and Zero Mission for that matter and i don't see a problem here as long as it's fun and interesting to play gameplay wise.

Also, i don't understand why they've outsourced 3DS game to MercurySteam after so many people didn't liked and hated what Team Ninja did with Other M. I mean, it's a different developer and all that but yet again it's not their in-house team. It's not like i don't think that MercurySteam can't make a really good Metroid game... it's just i don't like what they did with Castlevania game which was extremely linear and not very interesting in terms of gameplay and level design - all of this was extremely basic in comparison to Symphony of the Night and especialy map and level design. But the videos i've seen so far was really good so i have high hopes for this game and REALLY hope they won't fuck up the map and level design this time.

Toxi

Banned
Same with Fusion: space station, parasitic 'dark clone' as the bad guy, and it steals the 'breeding program gone wrong' and 'female protagonist merged with the Alien' thing from Alien Resurrection.

Prime 2 and 3 also have the weakness of the lame Dark Samus as a protagonist too.
I don't think you understand what I mean by mundane. It's not just being generic. It's deliberately removing or downsizing the outlandish and interesting elements of Metroid.

The primary villains of Fusion and Prime 2 were new near-invincible parasitic species threatening the Galaxy that Samus struggled to defeat. The primary villains of Other M are... Ridley, a woman in a labcoat, a military guy with a gun, and Colonel Burrito.

That's not to say Other M's style is completely mundane. Ridley's new life cycle is pretty neat. But overall, while Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 2, and Metroid Prime 3 made the Galaxy feel like a bigger and scarier place, Other M made it feel smaller and less intriguing.

Eh, the queen in Fusion sure, but the Metroids have shed their shells in Metroid II so that's easily handwaveable as the mutations having different strengths and weaknesses. And the no powers thing was repeated in Metroid 3 so that's a problem with 3, not II. She could have shelved all the upgrades after 1.
That's my point. We handwave contradictions when it comes to canon.

Fuck, we accept basically everything in Zelda as canon and that series has so many contradictions they needed a split timeline.

Toxi

Banned
The ice pistol only worked Samus because of this:

I mean yeah, it's the 1994 Super Metroid comic, but Sakamoto has made her suit function like this since at least Zero Mission where she spends a whole section of the game stuck in Zero Suit mode because she gets super bummed out that she got shot down. I wonder if Sakamoto had a hand in this comic.
I'm sorry, what

She was bummed out to the point of walking around defenseless? By getting her ship shot down? Really?

Also, Samus didn't lose her suit when she was unconscious.

RagnarokX

I'm sorry, what

That's why that Zero Suit segment happens in Zero Mission. After she gets shot down Samus loses her focus and can't summon her suit. Passing the trial in Chozodia proves herself and she's able to restore her suit in addition to the powerups she couldn't previously use (Gravity, Plasma, and Space Jump).

Madao

they're not on the level of Akira Toriyama to be pulling that kind of stunt (
Toriyama forgets important plot points of Dragon Ball sometimes
)

Instro

That's why that Zero Suit segment happens in Zero Mission. After she gets shot down Samus loses her focus and can't summon her suit. Passing the trial in Chozodia proves herself and she's able to restore her suit in addition to the powerups she couldn't previously use (Gravity, Plasma, and Space Jump).

I feel like the implication in he game was that the suit was badly damaged when he ship was attacked and crash landed.

Toxi

Banned
Why did Samus lose her focus because her ship got shot down?
I feel like the implication in he game was that the suit was badly damaged when he ship was attacked and crash landed.
That would be the sensible interpretation, instead of Samus getting rattled by... Her ship getting shot down.

zoukka

It isn't clearly stated in the game why she cannot use the suit.

And fuck anyone who buys Sakamoto's sweaty fantasies. In Prime we clearly see the suit being physically damaged/drained of energy and losing the powerups because of this. This is the only canon that matters.

Mr Swine

Banned
People are forgetting that Zero Mission is Samus first mission and going in to Zebes alone since her childhoodd. Not only that she killied of Mother Brain and barely escaped the self destruct sequence while fighting untold horrors

RagnarokX

No. She had the suit off when she crashed. Sakamoto was asked why the suit came off back when the game came out and his answer was:

Why does her suit come off when Samus is escaping inside her spaceship?

Sakamoto: For Samus's suit to appear, considerable powers of concentration are necessary. In short, it was too constraining. It's the same as a salary man loosening his necktie when returning from a business trip on the bullet train.

Isn't Samus's powered suit integrated with her whole body? After you destroy Mother Brain, and on the way back pursued by space pirates, Zebes is falling apart. Why does she lose her suit when it should be integrated with her? That's my first question. Thank you very much!

Sakamoto: For Samus to remain connected with the Power Suit requires mental energy unfathomable to an ordinary person. In situations like this when she is under pressure, indeed, even Samus is unable to concentrate her mental energy. However, when Samus completes the trial of the spirit of the mural (God of War), she regains her strong force of will and can successfully integrate with the Legendary Power Suit.

So basically the suit came off because she relaxed, and then she came under attack and couldn't summon the amount of concentration necessary to summon the suit because she was under constant attack. She was still green. It was her first mission.

It isn't clearly stated in the game why she cannot use the suit.

And fuck anyone who buys Sakamoto's sweaty fantasies. In Prime we clearly see the suit being physically damaged/drained of energy and losing the powerups because of this. This is the only canon that matters.

What does this have to do with anything? The suit is a physical suit but it is summoned into existence like magic. This is true in all games, including the Prime games. It's been that way since the first game. Fusion had the suit surgically altered when Samus got infected by the X.

Toxi

Banned
People are forgetting that Zero Mission is Samus first mission and going in to Zebes alone since her childhoodd. Not only that she killied of Mother Brain and barely escaped the self destruct sequence while fighting untold horrors
Okay.

So we have a character who just fought untold horrors, defeated a galactic menace, and completed her first mission. That was all fine.

But getting her ship shot down? That's what really messes with her.

RagnarokX

Okay.

So we have a character who just fought untold horrors, defeated a galactic menace, and completed her first mission. That was all fine.

But getting her ship shot down? That's what really messes with her.

I was being hyperbolic, but it was the pressure from the increased space pirate forces and getting shot down that made her lose just enough confidence to not be able to make the suit work.

Toxi

Banned
Samus got her suit polished in Other M without her knowing about it.

When did this happen? Was she maintaining concentration on it remotely?

Toxi

Banned
I was being hyperbolic, but it was the pressure from the increased space pirate forces and getting shot down that made her lose just enough confidence to not be able to make the suit work.
I mean, I understand it mechanically.

It's just pretty stupid.

It also is a case where the story outside the game feels at odds with what the game presents. Samus sneaks past dozens of space pirates clad in blue latex and armed with a pea shooter. That does not seem like someone lacking confidence. There is nothing Samus does or says within the game to indicate she is lacking confidence.

Granted, Sakamoto seems to have a problem with actually communicating the story he envisions in-game. Most people don't realize Samus loses her Metroid DNA at the end of Fusion.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The power suit only functioning when Samus' will is focused on it is incredibly dumb. What was it about the ship crash in ZM that damaged her mind so badly when the same thing never happened after any of the other countless crashes/explosions/falls she endured in the other games? It doesn't even make sense as in Fusion she crashed her ship and blacked out yet the suit stayed on.

Thankfully it's never stated in the game so we can safely ignore it.

RagnarokX

It's just pretty stupid.

It also is a case where the story outside the game feels at odds with what the game presents. Samus sneaks past dozens of space pirates clad in blue latex and armed with a pea shooter. That does not seem like someone lacking confidence. There is nothing Samus does or says within the game to indicate she is lacking confidence.

Granted, Sakamoto seems to have a problem with actually communicating the story he envisions in-game. Most people don't realize Samus loses her Metroid DNA at the end of Fusion.

That does seem to be a big problem with him. He just assumes everyone knows everything he knows.

The main thing of it though is that they came up with the idea for that segment very late in development and they wanted it to have a horror vibe to it. I don't think they got that across very well but that's what they were going for. I mean mechanically it's like a survival horror but the tone doesn't convey it well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The Zero Mission suit loss explanation does hilariously justify Metroid Prime's own stupid suit loss moment.

She never loses the suit in Prime, she only sustains damage to it and reverts to the basic form. She is in the power suit for the entire game.

RagnarokX

The power suit only functioning when Samus' will is focused on it is incredibly dumb. What was it about the ship crash in ZM that damaged her mind so badly when the same thing never happened after any of the other countless crashes/explosions/falls she endured in the other games? It doesn't even make sense as in Fusion she crashed her ship and blacked out yet the suit stayed on.

Thankfully it's never stated in the game so we can safely ignore it.

Um... ZM was her first mission. All the other things happen after it. And I can see it as sort of a thing where it's easier to maintain something that start something. She already had the suit off when she got attacked and it's likely more difficult summoning the suit than keeping it on. There are cases of it, though. When she dies her suit comes off in most games. In the end it just comes down to them wanting to have a segment like that in the game and the concentration idea was already something Sakamoto had thought of before with Super Metroid and they went with that. The concentration angle worked for having Samus still have all of her upgrades when she gets the suit back.

D.Lo

Um... ZM was her first mission.
Zero Mission was not her first mission. It is her first mission on Zebes. ZM's intro calls it 'my first battle here, my so-called Zero Mission'.

Japanese and English instruction manuals for Metroid 1 AND Zero Mission, and other sources, make it clear she was already a bounty hunter of renown before that - hence why she was chosen for the mission to defeat the Metroids and Mother Brain. Zero Mission manual says she is the greatest of all bounty hunters.

yuoke

Banned
Yea, fuck concentration. That's like the absolute worst thing of other m, and I'm never considering that canon at all.

people need to deal with the reality of the continuities being separate. that's just how it is, no matter how much you can technically fit everything together.

They aren't separate though, Nintendo put Prime in the official timeline.

This new thing on the site isn't a timeline, it's just showing the 2d games to refresh people for SR. It doesn't even show the manga or zero mission.

WHAT?

But...but the ending of the game is her absorbing the SA-X which she could only do in the first place because of the metroid DNA?
So... is she supposed to lose it between the final fight and her flying off...? That's nonsense.

Metroxed

WHAT?

But...but the ending of the game is her absorbing the SA-X which she could only do in the first place because of the metroid DNA?
So... is she supposed to lose it between the final fight and her flying off...? That's nonsense.

I think that by absorbing the X from SA-X, she recovered her original genetic make up, but I'm not quite sure now if that is actually a fact or if it's just a rumor coming from fans. It is certainly not stated as so in Metroid Fusion.

Zero Mission was not her first mission. It is her first mission on Zebes. ZM's intro calls it 'my first battle here, my so-called Zero Mission'.

Japanese and English instruction manuals for Metroid 1 AND Zero Mission, and other sources, make it clear she was already a bounty hunter of renown before that - hence why she was chosen for the mission to defeat the Metroids and Mother Brain. Zero Mission manual says she is the greatest of all bounty hunters.

It's actually not even that; it's her first mission on Zebes as a bounty hunter. The Metroid Manga (which we can consider as canon due to Metroid: Zero Mission's ending plus the "Fusion" gallery) talks about how she was sent to Zebes when she was still a member of the Galactic Federation Police (being commanded by Adam) which was if I remember correctly when the Space Pirates first invaded the planet and the Chozo were still living there.

Derko1

Neo Member
Just a random question. Is there any point to pre-ordering a digital copy? I'm assuming that I can simply download it from the eShop directly on the day of release correct?

I was going to pre-order through Amazon, to get the prime discount, but didn't realize it only applies to physical games. So yea.

At the end of Fusion, her suit is still the Fusion suit, it's just Varia Suit colored. It still has the "Metroid DNA" bits to it, like the fins and he nucelei backpack. Fusion never shows Samus back in her old suit, it shows her carrying on with her new suit, with the assumption that's just what she wears now.

There's "he badly portrayed that part" and then there's "he didn't even make an attempt to portray it at all, and actually showed the opposite, but then said it was really the other thing"

TheMoon

Yea, fuck concentration. That's like the absolute worst thing of other m, and I'm never considering that canon at all.

They aren't separate though, Nintendo put Prime in the official timeline.

This new thing on the site isn't a timeline, it's just showing the 2d games to refresh people for SR. It doesn't even show the manga or zero mission.

they didn't used to be but they way things have evolved clearly don't make much actual sense anymore as part of one continuous narrative arc. Sakamoto implied as much when he recently said they try not to step on each other's toes when making new games but they also don't really worry about having this perfect timeline thing.

everyone's lives would be much simpler if we could just accept the "metroid" and "prime" series as having the same origin point but then branching out from one another and telling their own stories.

No, it's definitely a timeline. Notice how Other M comes before Fusion on it.

Also Other M isn't a 2D game. It just shows that Nintendo basically considers Prime a different series from Sakamoto's/R&D1's games. It's like 2D and 3D Mario.

yuoke

Banned
they didn't used to be but they way things have evolved clearly don't make much actual sense anymore as part of one continuous narrative arc. Sakamoto implied as much when he recently said they try not to step on each other's toes when making new games but they also don't really worry about having this perfect timeline thing.

everyone's lives would be much simpler if we could just accept the "metroid" and "prime" series as having the same origin point but then branching out from one another and telling their own stories.

There is still nothing that the prime games contradict though to the 2d games, so there shouldn't be an issue. They are advenutes that happened in between zero mission and samus returns.
No, it's definitely a timeline. Notice how Other M comes before Fusion on it.

Also Other M isn't a 2D game. It just shows that Nintendo basically considers Prime a different series from Sakamoto's/R&D1's games. It's like 2D and 3D Mario.
Then why isn't zero mission there when it clearly has replaced the original metroid as the new origin? Plus why isn't the manga there?

TheMoon

There is still nothing that the prime games contradict though to the 2d games, so there shouldn't be an issue. They are advenutes that happened in between zero mission and samus returns.

that's exactly what I'm talking about. they don't need to contradict each other for this to be the case. they just don't make sense to be strictly viewed as one continuous string of events. they work much better as their own strands of story spawned from the same base. I'm just not really understanding why more people don't embrace this as it would lead to way less headache, heartache, and butthurt quarreling on message boards :D

RagnarokX

At the end of Fusion, her suit is still the Fusion suit, it's just Varia Suit colored. It still has the "Metroid DNA" bits to it, like the fins and he nucelei backpack. Fusion never shows Samus back in her old suit, it shows her carrying on with her new suit, with the assumption that's just what she wears now.

There's "he badly portrayed that part" and then there's "he didn't even make an attempt to portray it at all, and actually showed the opposite, but then said it was really the other thing"
The fusion suit isn't a different suit. Her suit was surgically modified when the federation tried to saved Samus' life. Absorbing the SA-X restored Samus' DNA but left her suit in its damaged state. You know she doesn't have Metroid DNA anymore because she's able to use the ice beam, which she couldn't do with Metroid DNA.

Garlador

Then why isn't zero mission there when it clearly has replaced the original metroid as the new origin? Plus why isn't the manga there?

I'll only say this...

It's a cold day in hell when I accept Other M as part of official Metroid canon and the amazing Prime games as non-canon.

D.Lo

Other M and all Prime games are side stories. This is 100% clear from released games.

Metroid
Return of Samus
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Are numbered entries. They are the main series, EVERYTHING else is a side story.

Other M and all Prime games are side stories. This is 100% clear from released games.

Metroid
Return of Samus
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Are numbered entries. They are the main series, EVERYTHING else is a side story.

Other M is apart of the mainline series, like it or not. Once again, it was placed in that timeline on the JP SR site with all the other Sakamoto/R&D1 games. It continues the events of Super Metroid and preludes the events of Fusion (whereas the Prime games basically have their own self contained story). It was also the basis for Samus's appearence in Smash 4, in the same way Super and Zero Mission were for Melee and Brawl respectively. It very clearly wasn't intended just to be some random spinoff.

KingBroly

Banned

Metroid
Return of Samus
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Sakamoto Don't Care

Astral Dog

It's just pretty stupid.

Metroid Prime 2 also has Samus removing her suit telephatically
Sakamoto Don't Care
Sakamito will wash that dirty mouth of yours with some Metroid goodness come September 15 😝

Top Bottom