• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

Why? They could take operations out of the UK and move them into the EU. It would make the CMA look like fools. Lulu already alluded to investing in the EU because they are regulatory friendly.
There are these things called "contracts" and there are severe penalties for breaking them, specially with government entities.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wait so... CMA report was just final report and not the official decision? I thought everyone said that was it... Interesting but I seriously dont think they are going to change their minds. Would be absolutely wild though. Entire internet would explode and never recover haha

The decision is in the final report, but the process isn't over. Microsoft has the opportunity to appeal and so CMA cannot issue the final order until Microsoft has had that opportunity. CMA has already drafted the final order, but they cannot issue that order until a certain time after their findings.

LordCBH

The decision is in the final report, but the process isn't over. Microsoft has the opportunity to appeal and so CMA cannot issue the final order until Microsoft has had that opportunity. CMA has already drafted the final order, but they cannot issue that order until a certain time after their findings.

from what I remember, winning their appeal doesn’t even mean they’ve won. It still has to go back to the CMA at that point and could very likely mean it just gets blocked again.

splattered

I mean I didn't feel like the deal itself is dead yet but I figured CMA portion was further along than it was with their most recent report... I knew there was possibility of appeal but could CMA change their minds prior to the appeal for whatever reason? Obviously not gonna happen but still interesting either way.

Wait so... CMA report was just final report and not the official decision? I thought everyone said that was it... Interesting but I seriously dont think they are going to change their minds. Would be absolutely wild though. Entire internet would explode and never recover haha

Basically if the appeal fails that will be the final decision of the CMA. But if it doesn't then the CAT will send it back to the CMA for a final decision. It's unlikely the CMA would drop everything but its possible they will request concessions that Microsoft will not agree with.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
No there isn't a final report yet
We have to wait for the final report then 4 week after that yoi can't appeal

Topher

Gold Member
from what I remember, winning their appeal doesn’t even mean they’ve won. It still has to go back to the CMA at that point and could very likely mean it just gets blocked again.

Correct. CMA will have to review the grounds for appeal that the CAT cited. But I think everyone should understand that we don't know what is going to come out of the Tribunal hearing. This thing could turn on its head again. Unlikely, but possible.

I mean I didn't feel like the deal itself is dead yet but I figured CMA portion was further along than it was with their most recent report... I knew there was possibility of appeal but could CMA change their minds prior to the appeal for whatever reason? Obviously not gonna happen but still interesting either way.

No, even in the extremely unlikely event that the CMA somehow wanted to change something in their findings, that time has past. I suppose they could address it before the CAT.

No there isn't a final report yet
We have to wait for the final report then 4 week after that yoi can't appeal

adhULCQ.png

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Correct. CMA will have to review the grounds for appeal that the CAT cited. But I think everyone should understand that we don't know what is going to come out of the Tribunal hearing. This thing could turn on its head again. Unlikely, but possible.

No, even in the extremely unlikely event that the CMA somehow wanted to change something in their findings, that time has past. I suppose they could address it before the CAT.

adhULCQ.png

Thanks
I should really stop believing anything this clowns says

Idas too says 24 (what a coincidence) is the deadline for the appeal

Topher

Gold Member
I asked.

I hope yes

Sorry, I misread what you said. I don't think we will know the grounds for appeal until the CAT makes their ruling. Then the CAT will state which grounds for appeal, if any, are upheld and which, if any, are not.

Last edited:

sainraja

Sort of like how you are still recovering from the initial block... ;)

In all seriousness, if drama is all you are asking for, that is already happening and a portion of the internet is already trying to recover from that explosion. You are just looking for retaliation... :D

Ok, but seriously, and really really seriously this time, it is not going to benefit anyone if the industry turns into something where the "major" console makers are the ones who own publishers and dictate where/what they release. I really can't understand anyone rooting for that, even for "drama".

EDIT
Basically if the appeal fails that will be the final decision of the CMA. But if it doesn't then the CAT will send it back to the CMA for a final decision. It's unlikely the CMA would drop everything but its possible they will request concessions that Microsoft will not agree with.
If that happens, where it goes back to the CMA and they request concessions, then I think there is a high chance that this will end up going through after all. This whole thing has had many twists so far, so it wouldn't surprise me. Having said that, I think it is foolish to look back at the past behavior of the CMA and use it as a definitive way to say that they won't end up approving this, at least in absolute terms.

Crazier things have happened. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

LordCBH

In all seriousness, if drama is all you are asking for, that is already happening. :D

EDIT

If that happens, where it goes back to the CMA and they request concessions, then I think there is a high chance that this will end up going through after all. This whole thing has had many twists so far, so it wouldn't surprise me. Having said that, I think it is foolish to look back at the past behavior of the CMA and use it as a definitive way to say that they won't end up approving this, at least in absolute terms.

Crazier things happened. 🤷‍♂️

Depends what those concessions are. If they’re divestment, then Microsoft will flat out say no. The CMA seems to not like concessions that require monitoring, for obvious reasons.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Depends what those concessions are. If they’re divestment, then Microsoft will flat out say no. The CMA seems to not like concessions that require monitoring, for obvious reasons.
CMA will ask again for structural remedies
And they won't accept the 10 years deals

I just don't believe the concessions will be easy for Microsoft to accept. They definitely won't allow the deal to happen without any concessions.

Topher

Gold Member

In all seriousness, if drama is all you are asking for, that is already happening and a portion of the internet is already trying to recover from that explosion. You are just looking for retaliation... :D

Ok, but seriously, and really really seriously this time, it is not going to benefit anyone if the industry turns into something where the "major" console makers are the ones who own publishers and dictate where/what they release. I really can't understand anyone rooting for that, even for "drama".

EDIT

This thing going through is still a distinct possibility. I wouldn't necessarily say there is a "high chance", but I think Microsoft will have to accept structural changes for it to happen.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
From Idas
NEXT KEY DATES:

- May 24th 2023: deadline for an appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) in UK.

- Late May 2023: decision from the Korea Fair Trade Commission.

- June 12th 2023: possible decision from the Competition Bureau in Canada.

- June 21st 2023: final decision from the Competition Tribunal in South Africa.

- June 9th 2023: decision from New Zealand.

- July 18th 2023: The end of the second extension and final outside date in the merger agreement. If MS quits by that date they have to pay a termination fee of $3,000,000,000; if they don't, they'll have to renegotiate the outside date with ABK.

- August 2nd 2023: beginning of the FTC in-house trial.

- Early 2024: decision from the FTC administrative law judge.

- Early 2024: decision from CAT (if there was an appeal)

- Anything beyond that: unknown

And this is interesting
So theoretically the deal could fall through from MS and ABK not being able to negotiate an extension before the EU releases their full response? That would actually be kind of funny.

Yes, that could happen. In any case, I just checked the recent decisions from the EC in mergers from MS and they usually take between 1 and 3 months to publish it. So, between mid June and late July would be my guess.

Last edited:
From Idas
NEXT KEY DATES:

- May 24th 2023: deadline for an appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) in UK.

- Late May 2023: decision from the Korea Fair Trade Commission.

- June 12th 2023: possible decision from the Competition Bureau in Canada.

- June 21st 2023: final decision from the Competition Tribunal in South Africa.

- June 9th 2023: decision from New Zealand.

- July 18th 2023: The end of the second extension and final outside date in the merger agreement. If MS quits by that date they have to pay a termination fee of $3,000,000,000; if they don't, they'll have to renegotiate the outside date with ABK.

- August 2nd 2023: beginning of the FTC in-house trial.

- Early 2024: decision from the FTC administrative law judge.

- Early 2024: decision from CAT (if there was an appeal)

- Anything beyond that: unknown

And this is interesting

So if Microsoft doesn't appeal by the 24th the deal is most likely dead?

Thirty7ven

Banned
They already said they would appeal and obviously they will use all the time they have available to mount a case.

I’m very curious because they were so confident their remedies would be accepted even though they were so far away from CMA’s proposed remedies. And they didn’t fight CMA’s arguments on their Cloud concerns so the only thing they can fight is the decision but the block was only the decision because they didn’t agree to the structural remedies. Why wouldn’t the CMA just propose the structural remedies again since they more lenient than a full block?

If the CMA had ordered them to divest, MS would have more wiggle room. That’s CMA’s play isn’t it? CAT says block is too much, CMA says ok then divest, MS says we don’t want to divest, CMA says ok we block, rinse repeat?

Last edited:

feynoob

Topher Topher
Here is the screenplay of the movie.
I can only do certain charecters, due to the limitation of chatgpt. I had to cut some people because of that.
ManaByte ManaByte DeepEnigma DeepEnigma SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage Punished Miku Punished Miku
T Three Pelta88 Pelta88 OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme DaGwaphics DaGwaphics
Ar¢tos Ar¢tos Topher Topher MasterCornholio MasterCornholio Bernoulli Bernoulli
Topher Topher adamsapple adamsapple Banjo64 Banjo64 feynoob feynoob
Edmund Edmund Bernardougf Bernardougf PaintTinJr PaintTinJr Thirty7ven Thirty7ven
James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford mansoor1980 mansoor1980 Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007
Astray Astray IFireflyl IFireflyl gothmog gothmog ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo
Dick Jones Dick Jones Varteras Varteras GHG GHG

Title: The Acquisition Wars

INT. NEOGAF THREAD - DAY

A bustling online forum where passionate gamers engage in discussions.

INTRODUCE CHARACTERS:
- ManaByte, DeepEnigma, SenjutsuSage.
- Punished Miku, Three.
- Pelta88, OmegaSupreme.
- DaGwaphics, Ar¢tos, Topher.
- MasterCornholio, Bernoulli, Topher, adamsapple, Banjo64.
- feynoob, Edmund.
- Bernardougf, PaintTinJr, Thirty7ven, James Sawyer Ford, mansoor1980, Heisenberg007, Astray.
- IFireflyl, gothmog.
- ChorizoPicozo.
- Dick Jones, Varteras.
- GHG.

INT. NEOGAF THREAD - CONTINUOUS

The characters engage in discussions about the Microsoft-Activision deal.

INT. NEOGAF THREAD - DAY

TENSIONS RISE:
- Punished Miku and Three express excitement and hopes for positive change.
- Pelta88 and OmegaSupreme voice concerns about potential consequences.
- DaGwaphics, Ar¢tos, and Topher engage in passionate debates.

VARIED PERSPECTIVES:
- MasterCornholio, Bernoulli, and Topher share their experiences and insights.
- adamsapple and Banjo64 provide perspectives from competing platforms.

INT. NEOGAF THREAD - DAY

CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSIONS:
- feynoob and Edmund offer thoughtful analysis and predictions.
- Bernardougf, PaintTinJr, Thirty7ven, James Sawyer Ford, mansoor1980, Heisenberg007, and Astray contribute to the discussions.

LOOKING AHEAD:
- ManaByte provides further updates and insider information.
- Characters contemplate the potential impact of the acquisition.

---

In this condensed plot, the focus is on the characters engaging in discussions about the Microsoft-Activision deal within the NeoGAF thread. The tensions rise as different perspectives are shared, leading to debates and constructive discussions. The characters consider the future implications of the acquisition based on the information provided by ManaByte.

This is a twist I never expected I will see.
- INT. NEOGAF THREAD - DAY

1. The thread explodes with activity as news breaks that the CMA has blocked the Microsoft-Activision deal.
2. ManaByte, a respected insider, shares insights on the potential reasons behind the CMA's decision, sparking a flurry of reactions.
3. DeepEnigma and SenjutsuSage express shock and disappointment, believing the deal would have benefited the gaming industry.
4. Punished Miku and Three, initially excited about the acquisition, express frustration and speculate on the future of Activision.
5. Pelta88 and OmegaSupreme engage in heated discussions, debating the potential antitrust concerns and the impact on game development.
6. DaGwaphics, Ar¢tos, and Topher analyze the legal aspects and discuss possible alternatives for Activision.
7. MasterCornholio, Bernoulli, and Topher share their thoughts on the CMA's decision, highlighting the potential consequences for consumers and competition.
8. adamsapple and Banjo64 from competing platforms chime in, offering their perspectives on how the blocked deal might affect the gaming landscape.
9. feynoob and Edmund provide thoughtful analysis on the legal and business implications of the CMA's ruling.
10. Bernardougf, PaintTinJr, Thirty7ven, James Sawyer Ford, mansoor1980, Heisenberg007, and Astray join the conversation, expressing concerns about the consolidation of power and the impact on game development studios.
11. IFireflyl and gothmog engage in a speculative discussion about potential mergers and acquisitions in the gaming industry following the blocked deal.
12. ChorizoPicozo lightens the mood with humor, sharing amusing memes and gifs related to the CMA's decision.
13. Dick Jones and Varteras express skepticism about the motivations behind the CMA's ruling and raise questions about potential biases.
14. GHG provides insights into the regulatory landscape and the long-term implications of the blocked deal.

---

These key points highlight the surge of interaction and the diverse range of opinions and discussions that occur in the NeoGAF thread following the news of the CMA blocking the Microsoft-Activision deal.

Last edited:

How the fuck do I have any insight?

I put on a pair of sunglasses and thought I was playing GTA V VR. I'm the last one you could trust for that.

What Do We Do Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

Ar¢tos

Me analyzing legal aspects? Rofl

No no no, my expertises are trolling and gay sex.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Incoming Banjo with an erection, watching adamsapple adamsapple like a hawk

feynoob

EU approving the deal reaction. Chatgpt continues its humorous plot.

1. The thread experiences a surge of activity as news spreads that the EU has approved the Microsoft-Activision deal.
2. ManaByte quickly shares the breaking news, generating excitement and anticipation among the forum members.
3. DeepEnigma and SenjutsuSage express relief and satisfaction, believing that the deal will lead to positive changes and innovations in the gaming industry.
4. Punished Miku and Three celebrate the news, their initial enthusiasm reignited, as they anticipate new opportunities and game experiences.
5. Pelta88 and OmegaSupreme, though initially skeptical, acknowledge the EU's decision and discuss potential benefits such as increased competition and access to resources.
6. DaGwaphics, Ar¢tos, and Topher engage in enthusiastic discussions about the potential synergies and collaborations that may arise from the approved deal.
7. MasterCornholio, Bernoulli, and Topher express cautious optimism, acknowledging the potential benefits but also voicing concerns about monopolistic practices.
8. adamsapple and Banjo64, representing competing platforms, discuss the potential impact on market dynamics and how it may influence their own platforms' strategies.
9. feynoob and Edmund delve into detailed analysis of the EU's decision, evaluating its implications for the gaming industry and predicting future trends.
10. Bernardougf, PaintTinJr, Thirty7ven, James Sawyer Ford, mansoor1980, Heisenberg007, and Astray voice mixed reactions, with some optimistic about new game releases and others concerned about the loss of independence for smaller studios.
11. IFireflyl and gothmog engage in speculative discussions about potential collaborations and the impact on the broader gaming ecosystem.
12. ChorizoPicozo injects humor into the conversation, celebrating the EU's decision with playful memes and gifs.
13. Dick Jones and Varteras express skepticism, raising questions about potential consequences and the impact on consumer choices.
14. GHG provides insights into the EU's regulatory considerations and the broader implications of the approved deal.

---

These reactions highlight a range of emotions and opinions among the characters in the NeoGAF thread, with a general sense of excitement and optimism prevailing following the news of the EU's approval of the Microsoft-Activision deal.

feynoob

Incoming Banjo with an erection, watching adamsapple adamsapple like a hawk
I think you two have strange fate.

In the movie "The Acquisition Wars," @Banjo64, a character representing a competing platform, experiences a mix of reactions and emotions regarding the Microsoft-Activision deal. Here's a portrayal of his journey throughout the film:

1. @Banjo64 initially reacts to the news of the potential Microsoft-Activision deal with curiosity and concern, knowing that such a major acquisition could have significant implications for the gaming industry.
2. As discussions unfold within the NeoGAF thread, @Banjo64 carefully observes the reactions of other forum members and engages in thoughtful debates, offering his perspective on the deal's impact on market dynamics and competition.
3. @Banjo64 acknowledges the potential benefits that the deal could bring, such as increased resources and technological advancements, but remains cautious about the potential consequences of consolidation and reduced diversity in game offerings.
4. As the CMA blocks the deal, @Banjo64 expresses relief, believing that the decision will help maintain a healthy competitive landscape.
5. However, when news breaks that the EU approves the deal, @Banjo64's emotions become more mixed. He raises concerns about the potential dominance of the merged entity and the impact on smaller studios and independent developers.
6. @Banjo64 engages in discussions with other forum members, presenting alternative viewpoints and advocating for the importance of preserving a diverse and vibrant gaming ecosystem.
7. Throughout the film, @Banjo64 remains committed to fostering healthy competition and consumer choice. He consistently questions the potential consequences of the deal, encouraging others to critically analyze its long-term implications.
8. Ultimately, @Banjo64's reactions and emotions evolve, showcasing a complex blend of skepticism, pragmatism, and a deep passion for the gaming industry.

---

@Banjo64 serves as a character who brings a unique perspective to the discussions surrounding the Microsoft-Activision deal. His concerns about consolidation and the potential impact on competition add depth to the narrative, creating an engaging dynamic within the NeoGAF thread.
In the movie "The Acquisition Wars," @adamsapple, another character representing a competing platform, also experiences a range of reactions and emotions regarding the Microsoft-Activision deal. Here's a portrayal of their journey throughout the film:

1. @adamsapple initially responds to the news of the potential Microsoft-Activision deal with a mix of curiosity and caution. They recognize the significance of the deal and its potential impact on the gaming industry.
2. As discussions unfold within the NeoGAF thread, @adamsapple actively engages in conversations, sharing insights and analysis from the perspective of their competing platform.
3. @adamsapple presents a balanced viewpoint, acknowledging both the potential benefits and challenges that the deal may bring. They highlight the opportunities for cross-platform collaborations and expanded game libraries, but also express concerns about potential exclusivity and market dominance.
4. When the CMA blocks the deal, @adamsapple expresses relief, believing it maintains a level playing field for competing platforms and ensures fair competition in the market.
5. However, when news breaks that the EU approves the deal, @adamsapple's emotions become more mixed. They voice reservations about potential anti-competitive practices and the impact on consumer choices.
6. @adamsapple actively participates in discussions, offering counterpoints and highlighting the importance of fostering a healthy gaming ecosystem that promotes competition and innovation.
7. Throughout the film, @adamsapple strives to keep an open mind, considering the potential implications for their own platform and the gaming community at large.
8. Their reactions and emotions evolve, showcasing a blend of cautious optimism, vigilance, and a commitment to advocating for fair competition and consumer interests.

---

@adamsapple serves as a character who brings a competing platform perspective to the discussions surrounding the Microsoft-Activision deal. Their insights and concerns add depth to the narrative, contributing to the complex dynamics within the NeoGAF thread.

Astray

Lmao you can tell that if this becomes a movie, I'd be left on the cutting room floor. 😂

PaintTinJr

Man, Microsoft can't catch a break, even their AI is shit :)

No mention of our glorious Gaf team (mods/owner) in a movie script going by the summary, which the opening credits would have stylistically shown each of us being welcomed on sign up, along side our comments interlaced with mod comments, demonstrating they clearly love gaming as much - maybe more - than most of us, and the AI didn't frame the bad guys - FossPatents, etc, and themselves...Microsoft.

The film would also need to draw attention to the Dove wind from the other place(places) for proper context as Gaf as the true gaming Mecca, and spend a third of the film on live ban moment banter (outside the thread) and astroturfing bans in the thread to show that discussion is combative but isn't unbalanced, and worlds apart from FossPatents.

Man, Microsoft can't catch a break, even their AI is shit :)

No mention of our glorious Gaf team (mods/owner) in a movie script going by the summary, which the opening credits would have stylistically shown each of us being welcomed on sign up, along side our comments interlaced with mod comments, demonstrating they clearly love gaming as much - maybe more - than most of us, and the AI didn't frame the bad guys - FossPatents, etc, and themselves...Microsoft.

The film would also need to draw attention to the Dove wind from the other place(places) for proper context as Gaf as the true gaming Mecca, and spend a third of the film on live ban moment banter (outside the thread) and astroturfing bans in the thread to show that discussion is combative but isn't unbalanced, and worlds apart from FossPatents.

You do realise Microsoft Bing uses ChatGPT?

Edit: You probably use Open AI? Bing version is more advanced than the Open AI version.

Last edited:
Hoeg and others are proof that when you are a fanboy, your views get completely distorted.

It’s all about what you stand to gain, for some it’s money and that blinds almost anyone to the truth, and for others it’s this very very fascinating psychological consequence of out of control brand attachment. Like Hoeg for example, he will say things like he likes MS’s strategy of play anywhere even though that’s really not the case but because he wants to have a moral compass he will use that defense to pretend what’s good for him it’s good for others, when the fact is he just wants to see Xbox get a big ass W, because that makes him feel good. It’s so weird.
Hoeg and others are a living example of what happens when certain individuals with a barely existent online influence and of a minor following, capitalise on something of this magnitude and scale. Hoeg built a cult following on YouTube, by drip feeding them information, while having as much clue about the inner workings of this deal as any random person and social media influencer. This cult following, provides him with views, traffic and revenue, while he slowly spoon feeds them microscopic particles of hopium, so they micro-dose slowly. And to the vocal minority that put faith in Hoeg's claims because of his accolades and achievements as a lawyer and large law firm I'll ask this, how many M&A's of this magnitude went through his company? Look, I don't doubt Rich's achievements, but I highly doubt that his law firm ever handled an M&A above 500 million, let alone any worth north of 1 billion. Apart from that, he has no clue how UK M&A laws work, let alone the laws that are enforced there. So his law credentials in the USA, are meaningless where UK laws are concerned.

Further to that I'll add that His YouTube and social media presence were insignificant prior to him jumping on the deal bandwagon and basically capitalising on it( through YouTube videos). As for the other videos he makes on his channel, they don't provide him a fraction of the engagement that the deal related videos do.

As for TheXboxTwo(randalThor & Jez Corden). This is what happens when you pledge loyalty to a faceless megacorp, get way too mentally and emotionally invested in their success (even though it's only for their benefit not yours) and make them part of your identity, to the point where you're pushing yourself to mental gymnastics territory by throwing tantrums and pointless/baseless claims. Oh and cursing at your own home country (in Jez's case), which borders on mental attachment and makes people question your sanity.

And Florian? Well I'll let people be the judge of that. But the lowdown is, when you're basically being paid by a megacorp, the only option you have, is to pledge your allegiance and loyalty to them, in order to continue receiving the goods. Even if that means doing things that push you into court jester and absolute retard territory.

I'll ignore Pachter, since he gets paid millions to make absolutely retarded and borderline brain-dead takes. Take his quote "Sony will go bankrupt by <<insert year here>>". So I'm gonna toss his baseless claims in the dumpster and light on fire since that's where they belong.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
2/10. Not enough tits and violence. Complete lack of same-sex romance between DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and adamsapple adamsapple . Plot was predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom