• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ12

Crypto Reaction GIF by BitPal

Shi11 gonna shill

GHG

I genuinely think Gaz doesn't actually think it's going through, but has to say that or otherwise his audience would stop listening.

Regardless of whether he thinks it will ultimately go through or not (which doesn't matter for anyone in fact, people are free to form whatever prediction they want based on the information available), at least he's trying to educate his audience based on factual information instead of outlandish fiction.

Astray

Regardless of whether he thinks it will ultimately go through or not (which doesn't matter for anyone in fact, people are free to form whatever prediction they want based on the information available), at least he's trying to educate his audience based on factual information instead of outlandish fiction.
He's certainly been one of the better Xbox influencers at covering this tbh, but I suspect his brief pangs of common sense won't be received well by the crazies.

Pelta88

It seems too obvious to be true but the receipts are a goldmine. When the deal got blocked...

This isn't a win for the consumer

hmm-thinking.gif

Dude is in another locked thread calling Phil Spencer "Big Daddy Phil." He'll most likely hide his post history now, but the above is more than sufficient...

Last edited:

Shi11

Banned
It seems too obvious to be true but the receipts are a goldmine. When the deal got blocked...

hmm-thinking.gif

Dude is in another locked thread calling Phil Spencer "Big Daddy Phil." He'll most likely hide his post history now, but the above is more than sufficient...
Like I said in the previous post Phil is sending me the pay cheque. Thank you for taking the time in your day to research me 😚

jm89

Posted by pixis an M&A lawyer in the uk regarding CAT appeals.

Just to flag on procedure for CAT appeals FYI for interested (and @Idas just to flag), though the deadline for the appeal to CAT is 24 May, CAT may not publish the notice of the appeal until some time after (they have to do it as soon as practicable but they can sometimes take a little while). So it might be that we don’t see any movement on that front this week (at least in terms of the CAT notice being published, albeit when it is published it will refer to the relevant date Microsoft appealed).

This also assumes Microsoft don’t ask for an extension of that appeal filing date, which sometimes happens and CAT can grant if they feel the circumstances are exceptional.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Who needs an AI movie when the real thing is better, I present you the "Xbox Tax":

Forza Horizon 5 - 92
Forza Horizon 2 - 92
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 91
Ori and The Will of the Wisp - 90
Hi-Fi Rush - 89
Psychonauts - 89
Pentiment - 88
Ori and The Blind Forest - 88
Forza 6 - 87
Forza 7 - 86
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - 85
Gears 5 - 84
Gears of War 4 - 84
Halo 5 - 84
Grounded - 83
Hive Busters - 82
Age of Empires IV - 81
Sunset Overdrive - 81
Quantum Break - 77

Killer Instinct - 73
Sea of Thieves - 69
State of Decay 2 - 66
Recore - 63
Crackdown 3 - 60
Ryse - 60
Redfall - 56

Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct would have been rated higher if they didn't lack content at launch.

According to many Xbox fans, games in the 80s should have been rated either close to 90 or above, and games in the 60s should have been rated in the 80s.

Xbox can't release some critically mixed games? Do all of their games in the 60s and low 70s have to receive good scores?

Delusional.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Forza Horizon 5 - 92
Forza Horizon 2 - 92
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 91
Ori and The Will of the Wisp - 90
Hi-Fi Rush - 89
Psychonauts - 89
Pentiment - 88
Ori and The Blind Forest - 88
Forza 6 - 87
Forza 7 - 86
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - 85
Gears 5 - 84
Gears of War 4 - 84
Halo 5 - 84
Grounded - 83
Hive Busters - 82
Age of Empires IV - 81
Sunset Overdrive - 81
Quantum Break - 77

Killer Instinct - 73
Sea of Thieves - 69
State of Decay 2 - 66
Recore - 63
Crackdown 3 - 60
Ryse - 60
Redfall - 56

Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct would have been rated higher if they didn't lack content at launch.

According to many Xbox fans, games in the 80s should have been rated either close to 90 or above, and games in the 60s should have been rated in the 80s.

Xbox can't release some critically mixed games? Do all of their games in the 60s and low 70s have to receive good scores?

Delusional.
This comment highlights that Microsoft generally release well made-games, well-rated games much more often than they release bad games. It's bizarre that people think they need to form a preliminary defense force to defend Microsoft when there's no objective history of media bias against them or of there being a bias against their games by reviewers. It's also bizarre that some people consistently insist that Microsoft doesn't release good games.

Sleepwalker

How does a grown ass man have so much time to type out all these stuff? And by estimates, he should be in his mid 40s by now. (Since someone said that Senjutsu was a Sega Dreamcast fanboy). Can someone who knows him IRL give him a good shaking please?

Hey Senjutsu, if you're seeing this, wake the fuck up.
He doxxed himself on twitter, posted a selfie and said he's 38. Crazy he's that age and acting like this lol

Ansphn

Between this and the XboxEra video saying the media is trying to bring xbox down by reviewing a game that isn't even near release badly, I've got to wonder if they've received new marching orders or they're just a hive mind that picks up anything they hear and run with it.
This. Phil Spencer is on his way out. The call is coming from Phil and his team. Sarah Bond is taking over what's left of Xbox/Gamepass if they become 3rd party in the near future. That interview from Phil is a goodbye. The man literally waved the white flag.

Last edited:
Gaz had a M&A UK lawyer on his weekly podcast. Not some pretend TV expert. He was asked about what can Microsoft do. K Kenshin775 you should watch this.

Effectively, this acquisitions fate is in the hands of the CAT. If the CAT sends this back to the CMA then CMA will have to address the issue and Microsoft can then offer new remedies. That's it. None of this bullshit about creating some other company or carving out cloud will work.

Thank you good stuff. Finally watched all of it. He didn't say that MS can't close over the UK just that he would strongly advise against it as that would be going against a regulator and they could potentially issue a huge fine. He pointed out that Meta payed a smaller fine but they could potentially issue MS a bigger fine because they already told them not to merge. Idas also reiterated the same thing this weekend that it is technically possible to close with other countries and could be used as a last resort, he will have a more detailed write up on this option later. So you haven't convinced me yet that ringfencing isn't possible. Not really convinced that the UK can issue a huge fine either. from what i understand a judge has to review any fine they issue, and I'm pretty sure the judge would not only consider the amount of revenue that MS makes in the UK and specifically how much they make in videogames relative to the rest of the world. It wouldn't seem reasonable to fine them a huge amount. However this M&A lawyer thinks they could fine MS billions which seems absurd to me as MS would just leave the country if that happened.

Also interesting was another point regarding carving out cloud for Call of Duty or ABK games he actually did say that could be a remedy offered with the CAT appeal. seems that would effectively kill the cloud concern for this deal. I honestly feel like the CMA never gave MS the opportunity because I am sure MS would have easily agreed to this and just waited until Sony or Nintendo started adding their big ip's on a cloud service and petitioned to put ABK games on cloud.

Topher

Gold Member
Thank you good stuff. Finally watched all of it. He didn't say that MS can't close over the UK just that he would strongly advise against it as that would be going against a regulator and they could potentially issue a huge fine. He pointed out that Meta payed a smaller fine but they could potentially issue MS a bigger fine because they already told them not to merge. Idas also reiterated the same thing this weekend that it is technically possible to close with other countries and could be used as a last resort, he will have a more detailed write up on this option later. So you haven't convinced me yet that ringfencing isn't possible. Not really convinced that the UK can issue a huge fine either. from what i understand a judge has to review any fine they issue, and I'm pretty sure the judge would not only consider the amount of revenue that MS makes in the UK and specifically how much they make in videogames relative to the rest of the world. It wouldn't seem reasonable to fine them a huge amount. However this M&A lawyer thinks they could fine MS billions which seems absurd to me as MS would just leave the country if that happened.

Also interesting was another point regarding carving out cloud for Call of Duty or ABK games he actually did say that could be a remedy offered with the CAT appeal. seems that would effectively kill the cloud concern for this deal. I honestly feel like the CMA never gave MS the opportunity because I am sure MS would have easily agreed to this and just waited until Sony or Nintendo started adding their big ip's on a cloud service and petitioned to put ABK games on cloud.

Meta was still forced to divest Giphy by order of the CMA. That's why closing the deal is inadvisable as it isn't accomplishing anything if the CMA's decision is upheld. But the part in the video that was key was the fact that he stressed that there is no clever way around this. This isn't about the level of fines Microsoft would have to pay. Microsoft would be operating illegally in the UK. If you think that is just a one time fine and everything just works out then I don't know what to tell you. Microsoft must obey the law. Running an illegal business is not obeying the law.

He said Microsoft would be able to offer remedies if the CAT returned this to the CMA for reconsideration and this were reverted back to phase 2. No, it would not effectively kill cloud concerns. He never said anything of the sort.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meta was still forced to divest Giphy by order of the CMA. That's why closing the deal is inadvisable as it isn't accomplishing anything if the CMA's decision is upheld. But the part in the video that was key was the fact that he stressed that there is no clever way around this. This isn't about the level of fines Microsoft would have to pay. Microsoft would be operating illegally in the UK. If you think that is just a one time fine and everything just works out then I don't know what to tell you. Microsoft must obey the law. Running an illegal business is not obeying the law.

He said Microsoft would be able to offer remedies if the CAT returned this to the CMA for reconsideration and this were reverted back to phase 2. No, it would not effectively kill cloud concerns. He never said anything of the sort.
What MS will see if they try and run illegal businesses in the UK.
team genius GIF

And operating "illegally" is a less damaging option then leaving the UK entirely. the UK is not going to kick MS out and MS isn't going to stop doing business in the UK. that would hurt consumers. If Nadella didn't rule out leaving the UK then i don't see why he would rule out closing the deal if every other country agreed to it.

Never said that this guy said it would kill cloud concerns. Me personally I am saying that it would because CMA is arguing owning ABK IP's would give them a big advantage in cloud gaming.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And operating "illegally" is a less damaging option then leaving the UK entirely. the UK is not going to kick MS out and MS isn't going to stop doing business in the UK. that would hurt consumers. If Nadella didn't rule out leaving the UK then i don't see why he would rule out closing the deal if every other country agreed to it.

Never said that this guy said it would kill cloud concerns. Me personally I am saying that it would because CMA is arguing owning ABK IP's would give them a big advantage in cloud gaming.
You know what's less damaging than 10% revenue fees every year (about $20b/yr) on a $70b purchase?

Not purchasing it and letting ABK keep the $3b escrow.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

You don't get it. If an entity or person continues to break the law then the punishment for breaking the law will continue and it will ratchet up greatly as long as the law is being broken. You act like operating illegally endlessly will not be dealt with. It will. CMA has enforcement powers to deal with this kind of thing.

You should watch the video again, because the guy literally described what you are saying as "bonkers".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doubt it would be that high a judge has to review it.
You don't get it. If an entity or person continues to break the law then the punishment for breaking the law will continue and it will ratchet up greatly as long as the law is being broken. You act like operating illegally endlessly will not be dealt with. It will. CMA has enforcement powers to deal with this kind of thing.

You should watch the video again, because the guy literally described what you are saying as "bonkers".

PaintTinJr

There is no option on the table that doesn't see the US government destroy Microsoft - by breaking it up cable and wireless ,AT&T style - if they in anyway fail to adhere to laws/treaties or undermine the shared geopolitical objectives that bind the US and UK together.

It is pure fantasy to think they have any move to play other than try and win on appeal and then offer concessions to the CMA in a repeat of phase 2 to get the acquisition over the line (technically).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom