• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buys Havok from Intel, GAFfers tear skin off while screaming about endtimes

Jeels

If Microsoft says they will continue providing to others, this doesn't really affect any of us. But good on Microsoft. I bet those guys have a lot of domain expertise.

I don't think Microsoft will stop licensing it but if there is any developer that hates giving Microsoft money they need to find another solution.

RdN

wonder if ms starts talking about the cloud again. they do talk about cloud and crackdown in that ign article.

I think that's pretty clear.

They'll absolutely combine Havok with Azure to get could based physics for the future. Crackdown is just the beginning.

Troy

Banned
The next time those levers shove me to my death in the new Destiny raid I'll scream, "Fuck you, Microsoft!"

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What is next? I can see them buy Unity, can you? I doubt they will go after another hardware company soon after what happened with Nokia.

Ricky_R

wTPpJTl.png

Would Microsoft consider embedding Havok into it's DirectX API and focus more on pushing exclusive DX12 support, as opposed to just Havok standalone licensing?

Because, that would be interesting and very aggressive by them.

Trup1aya

Why do people think developers will simply stop using Havok simply because MS owns it? As long as it does what's intended, is easy to use, and is affordable, developers will stick with it... That goes for Sony, Nintendo, and anyone else...

And MS isn't going to hold Havok ransom... This is just one of many products they license to competitions...

Of course they're going to license it to other developers. Havok is so successful because it's ubiquitous in modern gaming, so it would make little sense for Microsoft to actively deny money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay I'm updating the OP again since people seem confused as to what Havok is (and isn't).

As a note, here's a list of their products:

havokproductsisyz3.png

People who use the Euphoria animation system might still use Havok Destruction or Havok AI for example.

DICE and Naughty Dog use Havok Destruction for example, whereas Pro Evo uses Havok Cloth.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Would Microsoft consider embedding Havok into it's DirectX API and focus more on pushing exclusive DX12 support, as opposed to just Havok standalone licensing?

I basically asked the same question. I dont see why not.

That doesnt mean im "tearing my skin off" like the passive aggressive topic name entails. As long as i get a proper sequel to the original Red Faction im good.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Could have at least waited until an Xbox fanatic praised the news. Fall kind of flat when the punchline comes before the setup.
You must have missed Tim Dog's tweets.

Let's loosen up a little friends. It's Friday.

leeh

I'm worried about the amount of crazy going on in here.

Nothing's going to change. They just want that sweet licencing money.

Shahed

Maybe I'm understanding this wrong. Microsoft probably want to earn money off the licensing fees. Thing is if this is a good money maker then why would Intel sell it when the could make the money instead?

Because of this I predict the Xbox to be the only gaming platform available by the year 2020. All PS4s will be banned and owning one will be illegal.

Damn you Phil Spencer.

Somnia

I love how some people think the console wars actually mean anything beyond forums and PR.

These are billion dollar companies who pull in a lot of money, they work together ALL the time. The amount of products that use each others licenses and pieces of hardware is pretty large.

In the end nothing will change, MS won't be "Sorry Sony you can't have this because of your PS4", they will continue to license to whomever wants it and continue to make money off of it. They will however integrate it into their Cloud tech as stated, this is more than just making license money, but that will still continue as long as its profitable, which is what these companies care about in the end.

Nah (speaking as a programmer myself), there's no sense in incorporating Havok into the DirectX API. DirectX provides rendering capabilities (or multimedia rather), Havok provides physics. In-house engines license things like Havok and incorporate the engine/library into their game engine. Game engines have a whole bunch of middleware and/or in-house stuff, some make their own physics engines, some prefer to license one out and incoporate. Engines use rendering APIs like DirectX or OpenGL for in the simplest explanation - graphics/multimedia. There's no sense in incorporating that into DirectX, architecturally it doesn't make sense. Physics engines/libraries are incorporated into existing engines. There's plenty of third party middleware that is licensed, Havok is just another one of them. For example, a lot of games license Scaleform from Autodesk which is commonly used in user interfaces, this middleware is incorporated into the engine. Same goes with audio middleware such as FMOD. You also get more gameplay related middleware such as PathEngine for pathfinding that some games use instead of writing their own. Basically, architecturally and from a very technical programming standpoint, it's a bad idea to incorporate a physics engine into a graphics API because it doesn't make sense and is unnecessary maintainability.

They /could/ say you can only use Havok if you use DirectX 12 as a licensing term, but actual implementation into the DirectX API makes no sense on a technical level. They could also make their own game engine like Unity or Unreal esque and stop licensing and incorporate Havok into the engine for example. However I don't see Microsoft making their own engine, they abandoned XNA game framework a long time ago too, I'd expect them to buy a tech company like Unity instead. Regardless, I just think they want Havok for licensing money and Intel probably no longer wanted to maintain and improve it.

Chris1

Was wondering what the hell Havok was until I saw the logo on the first page. I see that damn logo in pretty much all of my games.

wonder if ms starts talking about the cloud again. they do talk about cloud and crackdown in that ign article.

Of course they will. The only reason they shut up was because they had nothing substantial to show. Sure there's Forza drivatars, Titanfall AI or even Halo 5 warzone, but those are minuscule things really compared to what can be done.

Once Crackdown beta is available next year for people to test, all you're gonna hear is cloud this cloud that from them I bet. It's a potentially game changing feature and the first "next gen" thing we've seen so far... I wouldn't put my money on them not hyping it up.

Why do people think developers will simply stop using Havok simply because MS owns it?

Microsoft is the Bad Guy TM

The worst thing they do might keep some in house advancements for themselves but I highly doubt they'll just stop doing profitable deals with other vendors.

It's just funny how everyone is competing but in reality everyone is just a part of a larger money making machine. MS because of this + Minecraft on PS systems.

JeffG

I'm worried about the amount of crazy going on in here.

Nothing's going to change. They just want that sweet licencing money.

I'm sure they will like the money, but the driver for the purchase would be control.

Sounds like they want to use it for cloud based physics. Either they had to create an engine from scratch or acquire one. (if they just licensed it themselves, they wouldn't be able to control the direction of any future development of the engine.)

Top Bottom