• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

leadbelly

Banned
this is my "Saturn" store in Germany

IMG-20140422-WA0000_zpsac98a6fa.jpg

I've never seen a PS4 in store there waiting to be bought,

I bet they're a serious safety hazard out back. Someone might break their leg tripping over one of those things. :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep. Way stronger. But I'm also in the camp that USA>World when it comes to what's "hot" and "cool" and what people want. I think they'll make a great comeback in the USA. Even the UK. Will they in the other small countries that Sony dominates? Nope. But I never thought they would.

Price is killing them right now. Not games. Their games have been some good fun. Once price is lowered. Boom.. USA starts to make the comeback. IMO.

As that other poster said, apathy is killing them right now.
They just had deals everywhere with their biggest game included and it did nothing.
If price were the only factor, USA would be buying Wii-U's en masse. They don't.

I do feel price is somewhat of an issue.

When you're selling the box that runs every multiplatform game worse, it's kind of hard to ask for a $100 premium over your competitor.

I think price is a bullet point issue for sure but its just one of them. It's not the cork stopping XB1 from immense success right now. Every 3rd Party game is being advertised first for PS4 with either no mention of the XB1 title or just a footer logo in a ad for the game. Even if they get the price to be on the same level as PS4 the only people jumping at that deal are the Halo fans who if they are anything like Halo fans I know are waiting for the Halo 5 bundle.

When you're selling the box that runs every multiplatform game worse, it's kind of hard to ask for a $100 premium over your competitor.

They have not been asking for that for a while now .
A price cut could help them unless Sony undercuts them again , it's rather funny because it's another advantage MS had last gen going for them .

jayu26

Oh really? I could of swore that the 360 kept beating the PS3 month after month for years in a row over Sony. Leaving them in the dust in the USA. And yes, WW is pretty much a tie, even though I'm pretty sure I just read last NPD numbers that the 360 is now the WW leader for last gen.

But ya... why would the PS4 just stop again? Not sure what you're getting at. Unless "poor, just poor" was the precursor to your post. PS4 is going to go great. Just like the X1 is going to do.
What sorcery is this?!

CoG

I think price is a bullet point issue for sure but its just one of them. It's not the cork stopping XB1 from immense success right now. Every 3rd Party game is being advertised first for PS4 with either no mention of the XB1 title or just a footer logo in a ad for the game. Even if they get the price to be on the same level as PS4 the only people jumping at that deal are the Halo fans who if they are anything like Halo fans I know are waiting for the Halo 5 bundle.

The question is do they drop to $449 + Kinect and hope Kinect is enough of a differentiator to warrant the extra $50 or $399 with or without Kinect and eat the losses?

From the looks of it, they're pretty screwed any route they take. At this point the best they can hope for this generation is sales parity with the PS4 in the US and perhaps UK and even that is looking shaky.

CCIE

Banned
I believe MS will announce a Halo2A bundle this Fall, but Sony is going to announce a Destiny bundle. I'm interested to see how successful Watch Dogs is for Sony - they have the push and many gamers I know weren't even aware of XB1 versions of the above games.

MS bet it all on TF ... but gamers want "wow" graphics when "upgrading". I know Infamous is the only game I've seen that has that "wow" factor so far.

BigDug13

Someone who doesn't frequent the Internet looking for deals (like us gaffers) would've never known about this price cut. It was never advertised on TV or anywhere else for that matter. Some sites you had to put the Xbone in your cart before it would show u the lower price.

This was in no way an official price cut. When it DOES happen tho, I guarantee everyone will know it.

You don't have to "look for deals". All you have to be is one of the millions of American familes that go to Target and/or Walmart on a weekly basis and see XBO for $349 with Titanfall thrown in your face. Then in your mind, the new price of XBO with a game needs to be $349 from then on.

Price is an issue, but it's important not to try and pose it as the only issue. There were a lot of people who tried that line of reasoning with the Wii-U, and it rapidly became clear that the problems ran much deeper when even ridiculous firesale prices couldn't move the units.

B.O.O.M

Yep it's not one or two problems but a combination of them,

Higher Price
Weaker hardware
Worse performing multiplats (I have been saying this for a long time now. This is imho one of the biggest setbacks for MS as this was one of their core strengths last gen)
No early launch
PR blunders that left a bad impression among core gamers, who are the early buyers for these products
Poor management decisions at the top
Exclusives: Yes they have done well so far but they needed Halo2anniversary at launch imo. Would have been more impactful

BigDug13

As that other poster said, apathy is killing them right now.
They just had deals everywhere with their biggest game included and it did nothing.
If price were the only factor, USA would be buying Wii-U's en masse. They don't.

A Nintendo system is not worth $300 to most consumers. A Nintendo system has never been priced at higher than $250. Price is indeed still a factor here. When you have a system that survives almost entirely on first party output, you can't be charging $300 with last-gen specs for it.

It can't even play DVD's so its value outside of first party gaming and the few exclusive and multiplatform third party games that are out for it are not enough to justify $300 for most consumers.

On Demand

Banned

PS4 definitely has the mindshare this time around. That's going to be very hard for MS to change.

Sucks for MS but you know what ? they got what they asked for.

When comparing both Xbox One and PS4 and having to chose one of them. The choice right now is very easy, PS4. Why ? Cheaper, nicer, smaller, way faster, more powerful, international presence, PS+, indies and promising future based on their track record.

Microsoft on the other hand ? huge ugly console, huge power brick, giant cables, Kinect is way too big and looks ugly close to the TV, UI is a complete mess and this is Microsoft we're talking about, the biggest software company in the world, the system is too slow and not responsive when using the controller, installs take way too much time compared to the blazing fast PS4 all that without talking about the underpowered hardware and weak first party titles.

I can't believe MS came into this market with the Xbox One and thought they would have a great impact or even more laughable, dominate the video game market. The system other than its great games like Killer Instinct and Titanfall is a big fucking joke. Last gen they were lucky Sony gave them the free pass and even then PS3 sold better worldwide. This gen, it's not gonna be the same for MS. They need to work hard for that dollar or people will just leave because they can. No Halo or Gears will save them this time.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Oh really? I could of swore that the 360 kept beating the PS3 month after month for years in a row over Sony. Leaving them in the dust in the USA. And yes, WW is pretty much a tie, even though I'm pretty sure I just read last NPD numbers that the 360 is now the WW leader for last gen.

Best not to make baseless claims like this while the mods are here dude.

Codeblew

Well I want to play the games released currently for XBO - but haven't "jumped ahead". There are four reasons why I can't justify the system:
  • Price - too high for the justification for me for MS First party output
  • Kinect - I don't want it, the market doesn't want it decouple it
  • HDD size - 500Gb seems awfully small for a system which has had 13Gb patches for games
  • Cost of games - prices should start at £40 and go down.

I will say three of the above points is why I haven't bought a PS4 either.

Honestly, 500gb is fine, at least on the PS4. If you need to free up some space, just delete games you are not planning to play anytime soon. Reinstalling them is fast and painless. Got to love playgo or whatever it is called.

BigDug13

When comparing both Xbox One and PS4 and having to chose one of them. The choice right now is very easy, PS4. Why ? Cheaper, nicer, smaller, way faster, more powerful, international presence, PS+, indies and promising future based on their track record.

Microsoft on the other hand ? huge ugly console, huge power brick, giant cables, Kinect is way too big and looks ugly close to the TV, UI is a complete mess and this is Microsoft we're talking about, the biggest software company in the world, the system is too slow and not responsive when using the controller, installs take way too much time compared to the blazing fast PS4 all that without talking about the underpowered hardware and weak first party titles.

I can't believe MS came into this market with the Xbox One and thought they would have a great impact or even more laughable, dominate the video game market. The system other than its great games like Killer Instinct and Titanfall is a big fucking joke. Last gen they were lucky Sony gave them the free pass and even then PS3 sold better worldwide. This gen, it's not gonna be the same for MS. They need to work hard for that dollar or people will just leave because they can. No Halo or Gears will save them this time.

MS wasn't in the gaming industry for the PS1 days watching Sony have to break into a realm held by SEGA and Nintendo and dominating. I really think they just had no idea what a focused SONY was capable of delivering and the "8GB GDDR5" announcement probably had them scrambling, knowing that what they were going to be releasing wasn't on that level. Starting the PR spin of "we didn't go for the top-level graphics. We took a more balanced approach"

They saw an early struggling PS3 and started work on their 360 successor, but didn't seem to notice when the PS3 pulled back to neck-and-neck worldwide during the last few years. I guess they thought Sony was still on a downward spiral from the PS3 launch.

Biker19

Banned
PS4's lead in North America is not significant, but it's been growing every month.

Even on Titanfall month, no gap was ever closed.

This. It's only a matter of time before people stop caring about Xbox One in North America & wind up settling themselves on purchasing a PS4 instead. Increasing the price tag back to $500 was stupid.

Mugatu

Honestly, 500gb is fine, at least on the PS4. If you need to free up some space, just delete games you are not planning to play anytime soon. Reinstalling them is fast and painless. Got to love playgo or whatever it is called.

I would have agreed with you but just this week I got an e-mail about exceeding my datacap with Cox - I didn't even know they had them. ISPs are going to start being dicks with excessive downloads, at least it seems that way or it is possible.

Drop Kinect. It won't get you first place, that horse is out of the barn. But it will keep you closer.

All regions of the world are looking like a blood bath. Drop Kinect and maybe at least one of them won't be (it will still trail, though).

But ya... why would the PS4 just stop again? Not sure what you're getting at. Unless "poor, just poor" was the precursor to your post. PS4 is going to go great. Just like the X1 is going to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBa55sDTIiA

BigDug13

I would have agreed with you but just this week I got an e-mail about exceeding my datacap with Cox - I didn't even know they had them. ISPs are going to start being dicks with excessive downloads, at least it seems that way or it is possible.

I think he means reinstalling from physical media. Anyone with an ISP cap doesn't need to be delving into digital download gaming. One of the many reasons physical media is here to stay for a long, long time.

PS4 definitely has the mindshare this time around. That's going to be very hard for MS to change.
Not very hard. Impossible, based on historical trends. The only console I'm aware of that started out "winning" (not just installed base, but also monthly sales and mindshare) but eventually lost to the competition is the Genesis/MegaDrive. I don't see a repeat of that situation between PS4 and X1.

Plus, console manufacturers aren't just competing against one another. They're fighting against macro-economic conditions as well as (what I perceive to be) a general decline in console gaming. They'll be fighting over a pie that's smaller than last gen, and at this point I can see X1 pulling in no more than 35m, tops.

Insightful post into Foxconn

Thanks for the insight into Foxconn. I would've thought they couldn't simply turn off an assembly line that easily but I suppose that would be why they are so used by the industry at large if they are so flexible.

That's 1.2M. If they'd actually sold 1.2M, don't you think they would've said that, instead of 1.2M shipped?

What? I'm saying that MS likely sold around 1.2M through to consumers in Calender Q1

If MS said they sold 1.2M through to consumers in calendar Q1 then analysts would see 4.2M sold WW instead of 5M sold even though the 5M is sold-in

MS would choose to use the bigger number

Why is that? The 7M was as of April 4th. If the numbers Thuway is quoting are from the 18th — since obviously they wouldn't have the numbers from the 25th yet — that's ~500K in two weeks. That's actually a bit faster than what they've averaged so far this year. (200K/wk)

Eh I'm bearish on the PS4's continued perfromance this year before the library is obviously strong when viewed by your average consumers. When it has Watch Dogs and Destiny and GTAV Port etc. That's just me though

To be fair to Mort, I was under the impression he was just quoting what he was told by his "contacts at MS," and I don't think they're under any obligation to be truthful with him. They may be "rounding up," as they were thought to have done with their 3M-sold announcement.

Meh I don't really believe mort's MS contact would be spreading misinformation in that case. 4.5M is not that much better than 4.2M imo

Regarding your estimate of 4.2-4.4M sold, can you explain how you got to that number? I'm assuming you started with the 3M figure rather than the 2.8M we were told they'd actually sold at the end of the year. So add 700K from the US, and I believe you estimated ~150K from the UK? That only brings us up to 3.85M. Where exactly do you think they sold an additional 350-550K? Those other countries only sold 600-800K combined during Q4. I can't imagine they did another ~450K in Q1. Regarding 4.4M specifically, that would indicate sales of 1.4M for the quarter. Again, why not tell us that, instead of 1.2M shipped?

See here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=109382203&highlight=#post109382203

Personally, I'm guessing they're around 3.75M now: 2.8M (2013) + 700K (US) + 150K (UK) + 100K (elsewhere). Maybe 4M, if the 3M was actually legit. Regardless of what their 2013 total actually was though, it seems fairly clear they sold less than 1.2M this quarter, or we'd have gotten that number instead. But instead of telling us how awesome their sales were last quarter, what they actually said was, "Whoops; we've got way too many of these things on the shelves now. Excuse us while we fix it."

I disagree. If MS gave us sold-through numbers we'd have sold-through numbers and could compare directly with Sony. 5M > 4.2M

I could see XB1 WW LTD being less than 4M up to the end of March as my post I linked shows as much but mort's tweet makes me think otherwise tbh

Mugatu

I think he means reinstalling from physical media. Anyone with an ISP cap doesn't need to be delving into digital download gaming. One of the many reasons physical media is here to stay for a long, long time.

Oh I see - you're right - sorry, my bad.

Dragon

Banned
Yep. Way stronger. But I'm also in the camp that USA>World when it comes to what's "hot" and "cool" and what people want. I think they'll make a great comeback in the USA. Even the UK. Will they in the other small countries that Sony dominates? Nope. But I never thought they would.

Price is killing them right now. Not games. Their games have been some good fun. Once price is lowered. Boom.. USA starts to make the comeback. IMO.

Ostritch.gif

Best not to make baseless claims like this while the mods are here dude.

Didn't you read? He just read last NPD that WW numbers had 360 in front. How is that baseless? He read it, obviously it's true.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Is this post for real, or a joke post? Huge ugly console? Giant cables? UI a complete mess? It's almost like you've never used an Xbone! Also, console us sexy as fuck IMO!

MS wasn't in the gaming industry for the PS1 days watching Sony have to break into a realm held by SEGA and Nintendo and dominating. I really think they just had no idea what a focused SONY was capable of delivering and the "8GB GDDR5" announcement probably had them scrambling, knowing that what they were going to be releasing wasn't on that level. Starting the PR spin of "we didn't go for the top-level graphics. We took a more balanced approach"

They saw an early struggling PS3 and started work on their 360 successor, but didn't seem to notice when the PS3 pulled back to neck-and-neck worldwide during the last few years. I guess they thought Sony was still on a downward spiral from the PS3 launch.

Pretty much. They underestimated Sony too much with Sony having financial problems and all that but i'm happy people voted with their wallets this time, not that Xbox One is a bad system, i have one with 5 games but PS4 is simply way better.

PS4 is an amazing system, Sony always brought the games more than any other company and their systems have a very long life on the market which is all things consumers like a lot and gives confidence in buying Sony stuff.

LPHT1v4.gif

That wasn't even a parody post either

Thanks for the insight into Foxconn. I would've thought they couldn't simply turn off an assembly line that easily but I suppose that would be why they are so used by the industry at large if they are so flexible.

There are still quite a few efficiency costs incurred by drawing down production, but it's a more flexible situation than it was a decade ago. The production costs from reducing orders now is more in line with other associated costs (missing out on bulk-order deals on materials, components, and shipping, etc.).

It's still a situation you don't want to be in, though. The likely situation is that they have a new build model planned for production starting in a few months (not necessarily a truly new SKU, just a new production model), so if they can stop production early and just sell through their existing stockpile in the interim the loss of cost efficiency becomes very small.

If they don't, and they're having to draw down production with nothing new in the pipe... whelp. "That sucks," I suppose is a pretty solid analysis.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

This is not what the world looks like.
55rzXNi.jpg

And that is a really narrow-minded view to have.

Is this post for real, or a joke post? Huge ugly console? Giant cables? UI a complete mess? It's almost like you've never used an Xbone! Also, console us sexy as fuck IMO!

haha nice try, i have both Xbox One and a PS4 at home. want proof ? send me a PM and i'll gladly send you a pic of my setup.

I like beautiful classy designs and i always compare the electronics i buy because i'm a customer and want the best. PS4 when compared to the Xbox One is simply way more professionally built and looks classy/premium. That's why you got products like the iPhone which is praised for its look and classiness, people love beautiful things. The Xbox One is not one of them. I know MS and hardware don't go well together but even then, to every person i showed the Xbox One, the comments are all the same, big and ugly and "what the hell is that thing in front of the tv" when talking about kinect.

jaypah

haha nice try, i have both Xbox One and a PS4 at home. want proof ? send me a PM and i'll gladly send you a pic of my setup.

I like beautiful classy designs and i always compare the electronics i buy because i'm a customer and want the best. PS4 when compared to the Xbox One is simply way more professionally built and looks classy/premium. That's why you got products like the iPhone which is praised for its look and classiness, people love beautiful things. The Xbox One is not one of them. I know MS and hardware don't go well together but even then, to every person i showed the Xbox One, the comments are all the same, big and ugly and "what the hell is that thing in front of the tv" when talking about kinect.

You're both right considering it's a matter of opinion. The Xbox is bigger though, that part is a fact.

Made me laugh anyway.

On Demand

Banned

Doesn't them launching in the rest of the world this year prove that Sony caught them off guard with this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82C4Nu_Jq8

And they weren't suppose to launch in 2013? Sony is going to have a huge lead by the time September comes. Not that those extra markets are significant to sales imo.

Heh, look at this

http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/cerny-ps4-8gb-gddr5-ram-was-decided-in-very-final-meeting/375

You're both right considering it's a matter of opinion. The Xbox is bigger though, that part is a fact.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. I think the Xbox One is not as nice as the PS4. To most people i've talked gaming with, "The Xbox One is ugly" is a popular one.

And yes the UI is a complete mess. When i gave the Xbox One controller to my friends who's new to the One. Finding the system settings, party and all those useful "apps" is not easy, unless you talk to your Kinect.

Who knows that you can find your system settings under "games and app"-"apps" (ok settings is an app now lol) and then scroll to the huge squares to settings. That's definitely not intuitive, sorry.

Top Bottom