• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Great job MS.. lol at all the doom and gloom and MS is done and needs to leave the console industry and all that other jazz leading up till now. They're doing just fine. Like we knew they would.

This gen just started. For some reason MS and the X1 are supposed to stop and just stop... but when the PS3 was getting destroyed at the start of the gen last gen, no Sony fan thought they should give up. Either will MS fans. We have great games out, and great games coming.

Good job MS.. keep it up. Use some of that money for some new IP's.

MS fans might not give up, but not MS stockholders who see Xbox as a minor business that's losing money.

Hugstable

Banned
For the gap to close ms will have to massively outsell Sony in the US and UK. Even then I doubt it would compensate for the rest of the world. Just can't see it.

I feel you on the UK, but I think the US over time will start to see the gap close a bit as Halo and Gears comes out, but Worldwide Sony definetlty has won already. This e3 will be interesting for sure though especially in terms of software.

Killzone and Infamous dont count as first party titles? I know they aren't the best games in their respective series but they are still great first party games from some of Sony's bigger IPs.

Their "BIG first party games", Meaning naughty dog, Gran turismo, god of war, their many studio major AAA games for ps4.

BigDug13

I feel you on the UK, but I think the US over time will start to see the gap close a bit as Halo and Gears comes out, but Worldwide Sony definetlty has won already. This e3 will be interesting for sure though especially in terms of software.

Gears impressed because the graphics were absolutely incredible and unmatched by any other console at the time. Seriously that's where a lot of the hype came from. Any MS Gears will simply not be able to replicate that on this hardware.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Killzone and Infamous dont count as first party titles? I know they aren't the best games in their respective series but they are still great first party games from some of Sony's bigger IPs.

If think 1st party in this context are implying the 2nd and 3rd year offerings. This generation's Uncharted 2, WipEout HD, God of War III, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo 5 and LittleBigPlanet 2.

I see Microsoft most def announcing a Price Cut by E3. They need to show off new Halo and Gears at E3 also with possible late 2014 to early 2015 release. I think as time goes on the gap will start to close, but with the huge headstart I think they won't pass Sony sales this gen, unless they really pull some big exclusives out or really cut the price along with a Kinectless SKU (don't think this will happen since Kinect is a huge part of the system, marketing, and UI). I may end up getting one sooner or later in a year or so cause the software looks fun, its just that high price tag on top of needing to sub for Live Gold that I think it hurting the system right now. But first party Halo and Gears games tend to really bring in the numbers considering how well both games sold on the 360.
Gears development only just started you wont see anything on it until a year or 2 at least.

Gears impressed because the graphics were absolutely incredible and unmatched by any other console at the time. Seriously that's where a lot of the hype came from. Any MS Gears will simply not be able to replicate that on this hardware.

That 'Mad World' advert certainly didn't do it any harm either. It was a perfect storm of a great console that many wanted, an excellent online system, a next-gen looking game and a brilliant advert.

Gears development only just started you wont see anything on it until a year or 2 at least.

Let's hope Halo 5 hits this year, because Halo 2A isn't going to cut it. They need a price cut along with a big system selling exclusive, and the only one that can do that is a full fledged Halo. TF + Price Cuts obviously did next to nothing. 2015 for Halo is too late, by then the Ps4 will be 10 million+ ahead.

That 'Mad World' advert certainly didn't do it any harm either. It was a perfect storm of a great console that many wanted, an excellent online system, a next-gen looking game and a brilliant advert.

Plus, Gears was actually exclusive and at the time, as you said, Xbox had an excellent online service unmatched by Nintendo and Sony.

Let's hope Halo 5 hits this year, because Halo 2A isn't going to cut it. They need a price cut along with a big system selling exclusive, and the only one that can do that is a full fledged Halo. TF + Price Cuts obviously did next to nothing.

Halo 5 will be 2015 book it, Halo 2 remake is their 2014 halo game.

jcm

Sony hasn't directly I don't think, but I do believe it was even shown during Sony E3 last year, from the makers of Halo and the company (publisher maybe) that bought you call of duty.

Sony has indeed used the "makers of Halo" line. From this video:

IehwOlz.gif

BigDug13

Let's hope Halo 5 hits this year, because Halo 2A isn't going to cut it. They need a price cut along with a big system selling exclusive, and the only one that can do that is a full fledged Halo. TF + Price Cuts obviously did next to nothing.

Halo 5 this year would most likely be extremely rushed. Is it worth it to shove your major franchise through too quickly to generate console sales in 2014? I just don't see it happening this year.

Let's hope Halo 5 hits this year, because Halo 2A isn't going to cut it. They need a price cut along with a big system selling exclusive, and the only one that can do that is a full fledged Halo. TF + Price Cuts obviously did next to nothing. 2015 for Halo is too late, by then the Ps4 will be 10 million+ ahead.

They keep reiterating the line of 'your Halo Journey will begin in 2014.'

Halo 5 is not coming this year.

Halo 5 will be 2015 book it, Halo 2 remake is their 2014 halo game.

Halo 5 this year would most likely be extremely rushed. Is it worth it to shove your major franchise through too quickly to generate console sales in 2014? I just don't see it happening this year.

I don't know, but they need something big this year. Halo 2 will do fine and sell to the Halo faithful who yearn for it's MP, but it's going to do next to nothing for the mainstream audience that made the series huge.

I don't know, but they need something big this year. Halo 2 will do fine and sell to the Halo faithful who yearn for it's MP, but it's going to do next to nothing for the mainstream audience that made the series huge.

Titanfall was supposed to be their biggest of the year, for whatever its worth.

And there's always CoD for year-end.

jaypah

Question for those that think that games and a price cut will not make a difference...do you guys think that the Xbox will sell like it's selling right now for the rest of the Gen?

BigDug13

They banked on Titanfall. It's that simple. They can't just shit out another major system seller when their first option didn't work.

Someone who doesn't frequent the Internet looking for deals (like us gaffers) would've never known about this price cut. It was never advertised on TV or anywhere else for that matter. Some sites you had to put the Xbone in your cart before it would show u the lower price.

This was in no way an official price cut. When it DOES happen tho, I guarantee everyone will know it.

That is the same thinking that got Microsoft in trouble last year. "Oh it is just those hardcore gamers that are upset about DRM and specs. Microsoft is going for a larger audience with TV and football." Gamers talk and people pay more attention when they are about to buy. They might not know what's up, but they sure will ask someone who does when they are ready to spend $400-$500.

They really should have had a contingency plan. I understand they were high on that TF dust but damn homie.

There really isn't a lot that they can do right now. Games take years to make and the hardware specs are set in stone. There is talk that the Kinect is contractually obligated to be included. Lowering the XB1 price so far hasn't had as big of an impact as they would like. If Microsoft makes a price reduction permanent too soon they might not have anything to talk about when the spotlight is really on them like at E3 or before the holiday season. They also have to worry about Sony matching their price drop at a latter date to match them and stealing the spotlight back.

Question for those that think that games and a price cut will not make a difference...do you guys think that the Xbox will sell like it's selling right now for the rest of the Gen?

No.

I expect baseline sales to actually slow down. The fact that their sales are so heavily biased toward two markets means they will saturate those markets much more quickly, and begin falling off sooner. As depressing as it may be, they most likely still have not dipped down to their actual "average" sales month yet.

I still expect their baseline to remain higher than Wii-U's over similar periods, though, and to have a much longer "tail" due to people picking it up as a second system once price falls and the exclusive library grows. The problem, from Microsoft's perspective, is they're not likely to be happy with being a gamer's second system if that means losing XBL Gold subscribers.

Titanfall was supposed to lead nicely into Halo 2. If it had been the success they wanted it would have been a great one two punch. Pull in all your hardcore shooter fans with the best new game then follow up with some nostalgia for one of the greatest MP games of all time.

Unfortunately that narrative isn't happening like they wrote.

Plus, Gears was actually exclusive and at the time, as you said, Xbox had an excellent online service unmatched by Nintendo and Sony.

There iu\s zero difference playing online on PSn and xbox live, total hogwash. Please explain this unmatched online service.

Vinc

I think he was commenting on the marketing part of it. MS is not going to market SO by saying the devs were the makers of PS exclusives, which really only leaves Fuse.

I'm paraphrasing but Phil Spencer, on stage at E3 2013, has said it was by "the makers of games he absolutely loves, such as Ratchet and Clank and Spyro the Dragon". Not sure about the second one, it might have been resistance, but he definitely mentioned R&C.

br3wnor

I'm really surprised people are looking at Sunset Overdrive as a big system seller for Xbone. I was completely underwhelmed by the trailer, basically Left 4 Dead w/ goofy weapons and parkour. I don't see how that is going to be a game that will significantly increase sales for the system.

Halo 5 is the next big game Xbone has to be a system seller, but by the time that game comes out PS4 could be in the 15+ million range and most casual gamers don't buy both consoles until they're both deep into their life cycle and have come down significantly in price. I've been really surprised that a few of my super casual gamer friends who made the next gen leap all went PS4, and their main reason was the price.

Kinect was Microsofts biggest mistake, they looked at it as a way to get hooked up into someones living room and take over the whole entertainment space. Unfortunately, the voice commands are spotty (even 80-90% accurate isn't good enough) and anyone who doesn't normally use the system hates using it. (Talk to anyone who's significant other who isn't a gamer needs to interact w/ the Xbox to watch TV, it's a nightmare) If they lose this generation, the Kinect will be the biggest reason.

DieH@rd

Banned
Titanfall was supposed to lead nicely into Halo 2. If it had been the success they wanted it would have been a great one two punch. Pull in all your hardcore shooter fans with the best new game then follow up with some nostalgia for one of the greatest MP games of all time.

Very little of MS narrative managed to find traction with general audience, which is the main reason why 10 million of very casual COD fans did not latch on Titanfall. For them [and other "very casual" gamers that have few favorite franchises], May and E3 2013 MS conferences are still very much remembered in infamy, and they hear from everywhere that Sony is much more user friendly and fair.

I think you're being a little defensive. There have been very few if any posts where people are saying MS is done and needs to leave the industry.

Ya right...unless you're talking about this thread. I was talking in general across the message boards everywhere. Even here. There's all sorts of post that MS is done, and that they need to leave the gaming to Sony.

They banked on Titanfall. It's that simple. They can't just shit out another major system seller when their first option didn't work.

Titanfall was supposed to be their biggest of the year, for whatever its worth.

And there's always CoD for year-end.

I wonder if a price cut on the Titanfall bundle for the holidays would do well. Basically the current TF bundle at $399

Poor , just poor.... PS3 was a year late, and outsold 360 every year when you align the launches....Also, xbox does NOT have he rest of the world to pick up sales from like sony. PS4 is supposed to just stop? Sony has not even brought out their first party titles really yet.

Oh really? I could of swore that the 360 kept beating the PS3 month after month for years in a row over Sony. Leaving them in the dust in the USA. And yes, WW is pretty much a tie, even though I'm pretty sure I just read last NPD numbers that the 360 is now the WW leader for last gen.

But ya... why would the PS4 just stop again? Not sure what you're getting at. Unless "poor, just poor" was the precursor to your post. PS4 is going to go great. Just like the X1 is going to do.

I'm really surprised people are looking at Sunset Overdrive as a big system seller for Xbone. I was completely underwhelmed by the trailer, basically Left 4 Dead w/ goofy weapons and parkour. I don't see how that is going to be a game that will significantly increase sales for the system.

This is the actual reason the chalkboard meme exists. Sunset Overdrive is XB1's equivalent to "Pikmin 3 will save the Wii-U!"

I wonder if a price cut on the Titanfall bundle for the holidays would do well. Basically the current TF bundle at $399

They'll have ordered a limited number of copies from EA. They have to pay EA for every copy they include. Therefore they'll take a hit on the MSRP and then have to pay EA anyway.

Doubt it. It´s an online only game and by then the community will probably have moved on to Destiny, COD and Halo 2A so it wouldn´t be an attractive bundle.

You do know that the PS3 had strong world wide brand strength to "save it" that the xbone does not have right.

Yep. Way stronger. But I'm also in the camp that USA>World when it comes to what's "hot" and "cool" and what people want. I think they'll make a great comeback in the USA. Even the UK. Will they in the other small countries that Sony dominates? Nope. But I never thought they would.

Price is killing them right now. Not games. Their games have been some good fun. Once price is lowered. Boom.. USA starts to make the comeback. IMO.

As good as Titanfall is, I highly doubt it'll have the same product demand momentum in the holiday season that's going to have the lineup of AC, CoD, BF, Destiny, Batman, H2A, DAI, etc.

They should bundle another game at $399 instead of a 6 month old game that will probably be $20-$30 by holidays.

Aren't they sort of chasing last gen strategies with that tactic? Why are they so sure that the best selling games will once again be standard FPSes?

I don't think so and its because I don't believe there is any interest in TF. What demographic is waiting to get the XB1 at a discounted price for TF? Anyone that wanted to play the game could have done so by now through a host of different cost effective avenues.

Its why I don't believe a price drop will do anything for the XB1. Sure they can bring a pricing parity to PS4 but what are people buying a XB1 for? Nothing that Microsoft has shown yet. Now that might really change at E3 where they could have some great stuff cooking and then at the end of the show a drop in price would be a great way to generate some momentum they sorely need.

Aren't they sort of chasing last gen strategies with that tactic? Why are they so sure that the best selling games will once again be standard FPSes?

They secured TF as a exclusive, are remaking every game in the Halo catalog, stopped a promising (allegedly) new IP to begin work on the next Gears of War.

Yeah they are following the same script as last gen.

Halo 5 is the next big game Xbone has to be a system seller.
Thing is, I don't think Halo 5 will be much of a system seller, and I doubt it will be able to match - let alone surpass - the sales of Halo 4. Interest in the series is declining.

The month Halo 5 launches is going to be much like Titanfall's March. Lines will be drawn. Victories will be pre-emptively declared. Even those not in the Xbox camp will shrug and say "yeah, yeah, X1 will win this month", and then whiff.

Magwik

Banned

The mainstream audience doesn't buy a console for Halo anymore.

Oh really? I could of swore that the 360 kept beating the PS3 month after month for years in a row over Sony. Leaving them in the dust in the USA. And yes, WW is pretty much a tie, even though I'm pretty sure I just read last NPD numbers that the 360 is now the WW leader for last gen.

But ya... why would the PS4 just stop again? Not sure what you're getting at. Unless "poor, just poor" was the precursor to your post. PS4 is going to go great. Just like the X1 is going to do.

US <> world...........The ps3 outsold 360 Ww every year when you allign the launched years, you left out 360 launched a full year earlier, and 16 months earlier in europe......Tied means PS3 sold faster, ps3 is also ahead of 360.

The x1 is going to be a long ways behind sony this gen, they might not even win the US, even a tie in the US is disaster for x1. All the advantages 360 had, x1 doesn;t have. A big reason 360 took US was the head start and total screw up ps3 was at launch. x1 doesn't have that luxury.

prwxv3

wat, do you even know what NPD is.

Yep. Way stronger. But I'm also in the camp that USA>World when it comes to what's "hot" and "cool" and what people want. I think they'll make a great comeback in the USA. Even the UK. Will they in the other small countries that Sony dominates? Nope. But I never thought they would.

Price is killing them right now. Not games. Their games have been some good fun. Once price is lowered. Boom.. USA starts to make the comeback. IMO.

Price isn't the issue at all here. They need compelling software and they very well might have it at E3 but they certainly don't have it now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Kumbaya m'gameconsole, kumbaya

A_Gorilla

Banned
Great job MS.. lol at all the doom and gloom and MS is done and needs to leave the console industry and all that other jazz leading up till now. They're doing just fine. Like we knew they would.

This gen just started. For some reason MS and the X1 are supposed to stop and just stop... but when the PS3 was getting destroyed at the start of the gen last gen, no Sony fan thought they should give up. Either will MS fans. We have great games out, and great games coming.

Good job MS.. keep it up. Use some of that money for some new IP's.

That's right Mid, keep reaching for that rainbow!

Linkified

I don't think so and its because I don't believe there is any interest in TF. What demographic is waiting to get the XB1 at a discounted price for TF? Anyone that wanted to play the game could have done so by now through a host of different cost effective avenues.

Its why I don't believe a price drop will do anything for the XB1. Sure they can bring a pricing parity to PS4 but what are people buying a XB1 for? Nothing that Microsoft has shown yet. Now that might really change at E3 where they could have some great stuff cooking and then at the end of the show a drop in price would be a great way to generate some momentum they sorely need.

Well I want to play the games released currently for XBO - but haven't "jumped ahead". There are four reasons why I can't justify the system:
  • Price - too high for the justification for me for MS First party output
  • Kinect - I don't want it, the market doesn't want it decouple it
  • HDD size - 500Gb seems awfully small for a system which has had 13Gb patches for games
  • Cost of games - prices should start at £40 and go down.

I will say three of the above points is why I haven't bought a PS4 either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Price isn't the issue at all here. They need compelling software and they very well might have it at E3 but they certainly don't have it now.

I do feel price is somewhat of an issue.

When you're selling the box that runs every multiplatform game worse, it's kind of hard to ask for a $100 premium over your competitor.

Top Bottom