• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Biker19

Banned
The price cut might as well have been official. It was $449 at all of the major outlets for several weeks.

And if Titanfall can't have an impact, Horizon and Sunset Overdrive sure as hell won't. I even doubt that a remake of Halo 2 will do much for their current predicament.

Microsoft need some hot ground breaking shit that fully utilizes the Kinect 2. Otherwise, I think they are going to be in trouble when Sony starts pulling out their big guns.

This. Microsoft needs to stop coming out with the same shit. Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo, Gears, Forza. People get tired of that & want something new.

Same goes for Nintendo: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Nintendoland was good, but they've pushed out 3 Mario titles last year with Wii U.

I only see Sony trying something new each generation. You have to take some risks with new IP's.

And Sunset Overdrive or a remake of Halo 2 certainly isn't going to do it.

And yes the UI is a complete mess. When i gave the Xbox One controller to my friends who's new to the One. Finding the system settings, party and all those useful "apps" is not easy, unless you talk to your Kinect.

Who knows that you can find your system settings under "games and app"-"apps" (ok settings is an app now lol) and then scroll to the huge squares to settings. That's definitely not intuitive, sorry.
I don't really see this complaint for the most part. Maybe it's because I didn't get my XBO until a couple firmware updates later. It did take me a couple minutes to figure out that you get to settings by hitting the start key (or whatever they call that button now) on the controller. There is some wonkiness to the friends/party (I hate that the friends list takes up the full screen)system but it's not a huge issue for me.

Other than those complaints from my experience the UI is very slick, much more so then the 360. It's very streamlined and smooth. Everything isn't clutter up with ads. And being able to pin everything (even a TV series on Netflix) makes it very easy to get to your content.

Codeblew

I would have agreed with you but just this week I got an e-mail about exceeding my datacap with Cox - I didn't even know they had them. ISPs are going to start being dicks with excessive downloads, at least it seems that way or it is possible.

That sucks. What is your cap at? I was more talking about disc base installs but it also works for digital download if you don't have ISP issues.

Fredrik

What are you talking about? It's out of stock at the internet sites of Bart Smit, Intertoys, Dixons, Mycom, Sony, Nedgames, Saturn, Gamemania, Mediamartk and ToysX. Bol.com has a 12 weeks waiting list, Wehkamp l has a five weeks waiting list. See http://www.ps4-kopen.nl/

Your anecdotal evidence is just as bad as that guy who proclaimed the PS4 was dead in New Zealand.
I'm talking about Sweden, PS4s are everywhere where I'm located. Anecdotal evidence, yes, I'm not debating the sales figures I'm just annoyed at the use of "worldwide " and "everywhere". I know I live in a small country that don't matter to MS but it's disheartening to hear forum posters use the same US/UK centric approach on a board that is supposed to be for everyone, even if they're correct that small countries probably won't even bump sales figures all that much. As for X1 it would be better to state over and over that X1 isn't out yet in lots of countries so MS get some bad press about it, especially of it sits on shelves everywhere in tier 1 countries.

I'm talking about Sweden, PS4s are everywhere where I'm located. Anecdotal evidence, yes, I'm not debating the sales figures I'm just annoyed at the use of "worldwide " and "everywhere". I know I live in a small country that don't matter to MS but it's disheartening to hear forum posters use the same US/UK centric approach on a board that is supposed to be for everyone, even if they're correct that small countries probably won't even bump sales figures all that much. As for X1 it would be better to state over and over that X1 isn't out yet in lots of countries so MS get some bad press about it, especially of it sits on shelves everywhere in tier 1 countries.

Explain this to me.
Are you saying your upset that Sweden isn't acknowledged as a player in the console space even though you are aware it isn't?

I'm confused.

Thanks for the insight into Foxconn. I would've thought they couldn't simply turn off an assembly line that easily but I suppose that would be why they are so used by the industry at large if they are so flexible.

I previously thought that production lines were fixed for years until I read that post. I got that impressions based on a Pach-Attack where he discussed it. Apparently it use to be that way but Foxconn has changed that. I've since Google'd Foxconn's production and came across this insightful article.

Lines
One of the most striking features is the use of long assembly lines with little automation and very short work times. This is very similar to Henry Ford's approach of 90 years ago and for many of the same reasons (See Photo).

Foxconn, like Ford, uses unskilled labor and the migrant nature of this labor makes for considerable turnover. Short cycle times and repetitive tasks mean that individuals can learn a particular task quickly and are interchangeable.

Flexibility
The line production that Foxconn employs is not generally very good for product mix flexibility. While Toyota and some others have adapted lines to mixed model production this requires a wider range of skills and high motivation. It is doubtful that Foxconn could use their lines for mixed model production.

However, mixed model production is not necessary for Foxconn. Their lines are simple and the equipment is modular. It would be very easy to rearrange the lines and dedicate a line for each model. Some lines would be short, others longer to adapt to the model, the process and the volume.

Foxconn's lines can adjust for changing volume by simply adjusting the staffing, reconfiguring tasks and rebalancing the line. If there were significant and long-term changes in volume, the line can be re-configured fairly quickly. Foxconn's line approach is very flexible for new products. A line could probably be configured for a new product within a few weeks or a few months.

http://www.strategosinc.com/articles/apple-foxconn-strategy-2.htm

I still question how quickly MS can change the production of XB1s due to the length of the entire production chain. They have to buy the components and have them delivered to Foxconn before Foxconn can begin assembly Once Foxconn is done, they have to ship the completed XB1s to their final destination. That means that MS has to have committed delivery at least months in advance. For example even if they decided to discontinue the XB1 today, May's supply is in transit now, June's supply is being made and the components for July's supply, like CPUs from AMD, have been bought. I doubt the numbers come out that cleanly, but it should show the point I'm trying to make.

I assume that Microsoft was expecting that Titanfall would push consoles, so they wouldn't have cut production before the game released and sales data came in. That makes late March the earliest that production could be cut. If that's true then April and May's shipments are likely unaffected. June would be the first month affected by warehousing component parts and reducing Foxconn's output.

I know I live in a small country that don't matter to MS but it's disheartening to hear forum posters use the same US/UK centric approach on a board that is supposed to be for everyone[...]

You do realize that the entire crux of the discussion was that availability of PS4 at retail in the US/UK does not reflect worldwide conditions, especially in mainland Europe, right?

So you're basically saying you're upset at people who were trying to provide an international perspective on the situation because, in your estimation, they should be trying to provide an international perspective on the situation.

That is making the huge assumption that non-US sales remained at the same proportion.

Hmm did you not read the second half of the analysis?

*Note I strongly feel that the XB1 sold better at launch in the rest of the world than it is currently doing since the last official WW sell-through number was given hence it is likely more than 60.57% of XB1 WW LTD sales are in the US

For instance if that number was now 65% [Less than 4% more than launch ratios], XB1 WW LTD would be 2527*(1/.65) = 3887.69 -> XB1 WW LTD of 3,887,690

I seriously think there's a decent chance XB1 WW LTD could be under 4M right now which is crazy

I previously thought that production lines were fixed for years until I read that post. I got that impressions based on a Pach-Attack where he discussed it. Apparently it use to be that way but Foxconn has changed that. I've since Google'd Foxconn's production and came across this insightful article.

I still question how quickly MS can change the production of XB1s due to the length of the entire production chain. They have to buy the components and have them delivered to Foxconn before Foxconn can begin assembly Once Foxconn is done, they have to ship the completed XB1s to their final destination. That means that MS has to have committed delivery at least months in advance. For example even if they decided to discontinue the XB1 today, May's supply is in transit now, June's supply is being made and the components for July's supply, like CPUs from AMD, have been bought. I doubt the numbers come out that cleanly, but it should show the point I'm trying to make.

I assume that Microsoft was expecting that Titanfall would push consoles, so they wouldn't have cut production before the game released and sales data came in. That makes late March the earliest that production could be cut. If that's true then April and May's shipments are likely unaffected. June would be the first month affected by warehousing component parts and reducing Foxconn's output.

Thanks for the article snippet. That makes for an interesting read.

What's interesting is that MS made 3.9M XB1's at least in the same time Sony made 4.2M PS4's [by Dec. 31st, 2013]

So MS's launch production was around 93% of Sony's. Now we're to believe MS's production is 1.2M versus 2.8M or 43% of Sony's production in the same time. Seems odd to me

QaaQer

Thanks for the insight into Foxconn. I would've thought they couldn't simply turn off an assembly line that easily but I suppose that would be why they are so used by the industry at large if they are so flexible.

I wouldn't give that post that much credence, dude acts like he's read the contract.

Yes Foconn is flexible, in part because they have so much power over their indentured employees. But Foxconn wields that flexibility only for the benefit of Foxconn.

People always seem to underestimate how wily and intelligent Chinese business is and just how important Chinese manufacturing is to Western companies. The fact that companies like Apple, MS, and Sony absolutely need Foxconn gives Foxconn much leverage in negotiations. There is no way in hell New Ballmer can phone up Mr Foxconn and say, 'dude, won't be needing next months order' without paying big penalties.

Besides, MS is totally going to sell through whatever is made in the first year, even if it takes 24 months. So of course they will take delivery for the contracted amount.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'd like to see something substantiating your claim that "PS4's are everywhere" in Sweden.

Sweden probably has dozens of similar pricematching websites to the one I used for the Netherlands. Care to help us out?

Best not to make baseless claims like this while the mods are here dude.

What are you talking about? This is the second time you've warned me about the mods and me posting? What's the deal? I've been here way longer than you. I know how to post around here. Nothing I've written is anything to get me in trouble.

Go to the NPD thread. Someone post in there that the 360 took over WW over the Wii.. and that the 360 is the best selling 7th gen console. What are you going on about again?

edit..sorry for double post. I'm gonna go find that post in the NPD thread.

What are you talking about? This is the second time you've warned me about the mods and me posting? What's the deal? I've been here way longer than you. I know how to post around here. Nothing I've written is anything to get me in trouble.

Go to the NPD thread. Someone post in there that the 360 took over WW over the Wii.. and that the 360 is the best selling 7th gen console. What are you going on about again?

miDnight totally off-topic but I am trying to figure out what this website you started up is all about. What is going on there?

Hmm did you not read the second half of the analysis?

Thanks for the article snippet. That makes for an interesting read.

What's interesting is that MS made 3.9M XB1's at least in the same time Sony made 4.2M PS4's [by Dec. 31st, 2013]

So MS's launch production was around 93% of Sony's. Now we're to believe MS's production is 1.2M versus 2.8M or 43% of Sony's production in the same time. Seems odd to me

HUH? What's odd about it? MS had tonne of stock in stores, thus the need to produce more was not there. Sony on the other hand are still selling mainly what they make.

Tsundere

Banned

I called someone out in that thread for saying it had become the best selling 7th gen console WW.... You know why? They misread the numbers and added 0s to the 360's sales.

NPD us only, where do we see WW numbers for PS3 and x360? 360 is 20 million behind wii LMAO what are you on about? US only is not ww.

HUH? What's odd about it? MS had tonne of stock in stores, thus the need to produce more was not there. Sony on the other hand are still selling mainly what they make.

3 months into productions, MS relative to Sony seems to have cut production by half, or Sony has somehow managed to double it's production relative to MS

Seems odd that even Foxconn could be that flexible that quickly

Still not sure where I fall on the XB1 production

miDnight totally off-topic but I am trying to figure out what this website you started up is all about. What is going on there?

Bruce improve your Google-Fu

http://showtimeforfree.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=igghcpbu82ni308m7dr61paja6&topic=2131.0

Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe pm me? If you mean my site.. ya pm me. It's the Seinfeld of message boards to talk about anything.

On topic of my post news.. I can't find that exact quote, but here's me reacting to it. Maybe it's around that area. I didn't see Gorilla pressing me on my post then though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=108587637&highlight=#post108587637

edit.. oh, you're talking about the name of my site? It's a story not worthy of going off topic.. again, pm me and the answer will not be as exciting as you can think. unless you're a fan of street basketball. anyhoo...

Yep. :) See, not that exciting.

Midnight thinks NPD knows somehow 360 Ww sales versus ps3............... NPD is US only. PS3 had passed 360's install base WW awhile ago.

I don't think that... what are you talking about? I even quoted myself showing you what I meant. Someone in the newest NPD thread made a post saying that the 360 overtook the lead as the best selling 7th gen console WW. I'm having trouble finding that guys post, but I did find mine when I saw it.

Baki

3 months into productions, MS relative to Sony seems to have cut production by half, or Sony has somehow managed to double it's production relative to MS

Seems odd that even Foxconn could be that flexible that quickly

Still not sure where I fall on the XB1 production

Bruce improve your Google-Fu

http://showtimeforfree.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=igghcpbu82ni308m7dr61paja6&topic=2131.0

Shipped =/= how many units were produced. MS could easily have another 1m in warehouses.

Ah man I do need to be trained in the art of google-fu since I am still a lowly disciple.

Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe pm me? If you mean my site.. ya pm me. It's the Seinfeld of message boards to talk about anything.

On topic of my post news.. I can't find that exact quote, but here's me reacting to it. Maybe it's around that area. I didn't see Gorilla pressing me on my post then though.

edit.. oh, you're talking about the name of my site? It's a story not worthy of going off topic.. again, pm me and the answer will not be as exciting as you can think. unless you're a fan of street basketball. anyhoo...

Ha yeah just was talking about the name. I thought it had to be Basketball but still wanted to know the specifics. Sorry random interest

I searched 13 pages before your post and couldn't find hide nor hair of anything resembling someone claiming the 360 was the best-selling 7th gen system WW now

Maybe it was in the first 20 pages or something? But its horribly incorrect. Like 16M - 18M consoles incorrect

MS is not lying LMAO, what are you trying to say?

I was getting at this...

Shipped =/= how many units were produced. MS could easily have another 1m in warehouses.

Although I am bad at phrasing the way I say things. I think MS may have some XB1's in warehouse yet to be sold to retailers. Otherwise they have likely turned down their projected production by quite a bit methinks

I don't think that... what are you talking about? I even quoted myself showing you what I meant. Someone in the newest NPD thread made a post saying that the 360 overtook the lead as the best selling 7th gen console WW. I'm having trouble finding that guys post, but I did find mine when I saw it.

Sorry I missed this claim but thats just not correct my man. You might have got it confused with a random post but thats just not true.

Abdiel

I searched 13 pages before your post and couldn't find hide nor hair of anything resembling someone claiming the 360 was the best-selling 7th gen system WW now

Maybe it was in the first 20 pages or something? But its horribly incorrect. Like 16M - 18M consoles incorrect

I was getting at this...

Although I am bad at phrasing the way I say things. I think MS may have some XB1's in warehouse yet to be sold to retailers. Otherwise they have likely turned down their projected production by quite a bit methinks

I'm 99% sure he misread a post talking about how in the US, the 360 has passed the Wii. Nothing else would make sense, since the last I'd seen discussing WW sales for 7th gen had it at Wii > PS3 > 360 with the Wii leading by at least 15 million. But he said it himself, he's one of those in the US > World camp, as ridiculous a prospect as that is.

Sorry I missed this claim but thats just not correct my man. You might have got it confused with a random post but thats just not true.

It only took another thread after for my original post to be answered then. :) When I asked before, nobody replied. Now I'm curious to see who made that post.

And no worries... and btw guys.. if you're gonna check my site, at least go to the Entertainment part and go look at those Scarlett Johhanson (sp) naked pictures! NSFW though! tee hee! ;)

Tsundere

Banned

This?

The 360 sold 111 million? Does anybody know how many PS3 units are sold worldwide?

You uhh... Added a 0 there.

uh... thought it was too much. I misread. Thanks.

Uh... what. It says 360 sold 111,000 in the US in March....

ok, what the hell is happening

and speaking of companies sitting on large inventories, anyone remember how many Wii Us Nintendo had that weren't shipped?

No not that part.. but now I remember something here.. it was one of two guys who gave a "run down" of what was going on in the NPD threads. Someone asked for a quick recap, and then two guys gave one, and one of the guys had in it that 360 was leading ww now.

Damn! I'm getting closer to unlocking the mystery of who the hell post that!

EDIT... Like the big boy finding Han and Luke on Hoth... I found them.... I repeat... I found them!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108585843&postcount=2719

And I completely read it wrong just like I assumed I did in that quote I found of myself. Ha ha! At least I can rest easy. Like I said before.. that surprised the hell out of me if true. It was the last thing Aqua post.. I read that wrong. Have another Beer on NPD day miD! :D

Tabular

Banned
Sucks for MS but you know what ? they got what they asked for.

When comparing both Xbox One and PS4 and having to chose one of them. The choice right now is very easy, PS4. Why ? Cheaper, nicer, smaller, way faster, more powerful, international presence, PS+, indies and promising future based on their track record.

Microsoft on the other hand ? huge ugly console, huge power brick, giant cables, Kinect is way too big and looks ugly close to the TV, UI is a complete mess and this is Microsoft we're talking about, the biggest software company in the world, the system is too slow and not responsive when using the controller, installs take way too much time compared to the blazing fast PS4 all that without talking about the underpowered hardware and weak first party titles.

I can't believe MS came into this market with the Xbox One and thought they would have a great impact or even more laughable, dominate the video game market. The system other than its great games like Killer Instinct and Titanfall is a big fucking joke. Last gen they were lucky Sony gave them the free pass and even then PS3 sold better worldwide. This gen, it's not gonna be the same for MS. They need to work hard for that dollar or people will just leave because they can. No Halo or Gears will save them this time.

They didn't plan on launching so early. Sony really forced their hand. At least that's all I can think of to explain it.

Those boobs are smaller than what I was led to believe.

OT: Is there a significant presence on the African continent, with regards to consoles?
How do Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft fare there?

There's a modest market in South Africa, mostly toward the tail of the generation (after price cuts), though poor online infrastructure creates serious problems for current-gen systems in general. That's about it for sub-Saharan Africa; I'm not really sure what the market for Egypt looks like, though I suppose it could represent a potential growth market at the least.

The contribution to total worldwide sales for the continent as a whole is very, very low, though. Unfortunately, it isn't currently viewed as having the same growth potential as a market that South/Latin America does, much less mainland Asia, so it's very, very far down on the priority list for console manufacturers.

People that are talking about Sunset Overdrive being a "factor" are forgetting how much the sales gap is widening while waiting for the SO release. I don't think we even have a release date on SO, right?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
They didn't plan on launching so early. Sony really forced their hand. At least that's all I can think of to explain it.
What planet were they on where eight years is too soon between consoles? We're talking about a company that dropped the original Xbox like a bad habit after three and a half years.

This. Microsoft needs to stop coming out with the same shit. Halo, Gears, Forza, Halo, Gears, Forza. People get tired of that & want something new.

Same goes for Nintendo: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Nintendoland was good, but they've pushed out 3 Mario titles last year with Wii U.

I only see Sony trying something new each generation. You have to take some risks with new IP's.

And Sunset Overdrive or a remake of Halo 2 certainly isn't going to do it.

TBF, I have to say that Sony hasn't exactly opened the floodgates for new IP yet. I'm cautious to say that a big reason the PS3 got so many diverse games (not just indie, but mid-tier and AAA as well, w/ stuff like Heavy Rain and Beyond and Echochrome and Puppeteer) is b/c of it's lackluster position in the market relative the 360, and Sony really trying to make it something different.

Sony isn't the underdog this time; Microsoft is. There's still the effect of the closures at the various studios we need to see the effect of, and I'm obviously not saying Sony won't continue that innovative push. I'm just saying people expecting THOSE sort of games this year or early half next year may be disappointed, and I'm already disappointed that the Stig game got cancelled (I love sci-fi).

I think MS will surprise a lot of people at E3 with at least one unique, actual exclusive offering; the question is if it's too little, too late. And then Sony has Morpheus coming out; they could make a game about stick figures for Morpheus as a launch title and it'd be the best thing since the internet.

A_Gorilla

Banned
What planet were they on where eight years is too soon between consoles? We're talking about a company that dropped the original Xbox like a bad habit after three and a half years.

All sources pointed to Sony experiencing problems with the PS4 hardware (specifically the RAM if I remember right), hence why MS probably though they would launch in 2015. Whether Sony simply managed to get their shit together at the last minute (not showing hardware for the Feb reveal might support this) or whether in a case of magnificent bastardry, they falsely leaked hardware problems so MS would believe them and then blind sided them with the Feb. reveal is something we'll probably never know.

All sources pointed to Sony experiencing problems with the PS4 hardware (specifically the RAM if I remember right), hence why MS probably though they would launch in 2015. Whether Sony simply managed to get their shit together at the last minute (not showing hardware for the Feb reveal might support this) or whether in a case of magnificent bastardry, they falsely leaked hardware problems so MS would believe them and then blind sided them with the Feb. reveal is something we'll probably never know.

You think Sony had hardware problems?

They CREATED the Playstation. They have very smart engineers. No way they would of given up any sort of hardware advantage to the competition.

Where do people get this February reveal "blind sided" narrative? I never for one second believed both those consoles were not coming out in the fall of 2013, and I don't think Microsoft did either.

Time:
MS was planning on another pre-Sony launch. They figured they could launch unfinished with beta components and make use the lag time between the the XB1 and the PS4 in THREE key ways.

Power:
Launching early would have allowed it to claim it's the most powerful on the market, regardless if they targeted it or not.

DRM:
That alone would have given them reason to keep the DRM in, because people wouldn't have any other choice. New console, super powerful, new online design. Sure. People eat it up, figure Sony is too far off.

Price:
Additionally, given a lead time, price would have been far less of an issue. At launch, you have no competition, and later, you can drop your price as needed.

Instead, Sony rushed everything for 2013, and MS got fucked. Without the advantage of time, the other three aspects of the Xbox One became instant liabilities.

A_Gorilla

Banned
You think Sony had hardware problems?

They CREATED the Playstation. They have very smart engineers. No way they would of given up any sort of hardware advantage to the competition.

That was the rumor.

Where do people get this February reveal "blind sided" narrative? I never for one second believed both those consoles were not coming out in the fall of 2013, and I don't think Microsoft did either.

I believe famous mortimer (RIP) was the one who first suggested Sony caught MS by surprise if I remember right

Top Bottom