• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportz103

MS: "We need someone to design a large outdoor environment"
Recruiter: "Sure, I'll make that sound appealing"
Gaf: "MS is making a knockoff game that is going to be [dramatic zoom] actually bad™

eerik9000

C'mon guys, HZD reference is clearly regarding environments as they are looking for an environment artist, not for robo-dinosaurs, redheaded female leads, etc.

CrayToes

Microsoft ripping off Sony's Ubisoft rip off. This should be fun.

In all seriousness, I hope it's original. MS needs killer games.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So what makes HZD a far cry rip off? Crafting items with animal and enemy parts? Clearing out enemy camps? Climbing Towers? I can think of another game that fits that description pretty easily.

eso76

Probably just a game with a similar environmental design rather than one with a similar premise. Interested to know if it's single player or a service game.

I suspect you're right, but that's worse imho.
There's many ways to develop a similar premise, but whatever it is, it needs to look new and different.
I have faith in Playground though, one of the best devs around.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
MS potentially securing PG's second game is the big news, here. Not some overreaction to a poorly-constructed recruiter pitch.

Capella

Horizon seemed like Sony's answer to Scalebound tbh. Scalebound just never made it.
If you are being serious, I'm pretty sure Horizon was in development before Scalebound was announced...

Either way, I wouldn't read into this. Even if they are looking into a similar environmental design there are many directions you could take that in depending on what the premise or genre is. This doesn't mean that whatever game this is, it's going to be a Horizon clone.

Maybe they where told "its like Horizon" because they meant Forza Horizon but the recruiter went with Horizon ZD because it was the only one they actually knew about.

Linkified

MS: "We need someone to design a large outdoor environment"
Recruiter: "Sure, I'll make that sound appealing"
Gaf: "MS is making a knockoff game that is going to be [dramatic zoom] actually bad™

Exactly - its saying as an environmental lead essentially its an open world, which is a different skill than a game like Gears or Uncharted.

They gotta need something big and AAA to announce and cancel in the coming years so it makes sense if they just do a Horizon clone since its hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom