• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOR5

I am sure they have some sources. But they are abit to "fanboy" sometimes and that hurts their credibility abit.

They absolutely are fanboys, definitely not console warriors though

They got the scoop on those two new Rare games

Ramenman

MS: "We need someone to design a large outdoor environment"
Recruiter: "Sure, I'll make that sound appealing"
Gaf: "MS is making a knockoff game that is going to be [dramatic zoom] actually bad™

Yes....

Please GAF, don't make a big deal out of this and embarrass yourselves. It's a recruitment agency and it's their job to make the offer look attractive.

pretty much this too.

This just means there's an open world action adventure game that may be more about fantasy and wilderness (Horizon) than current time 'realistic' city (Watchdogs) that's being made by a studio funded by MS.

It doesn't mean "MS is making horizon ripoff and not even hiding it by posting by themselves a job posting mentionning the game"

Now if it's a blatant riff on the same ideas I'll be the first one to make fun of it in 3 years (if it isn't killed), but let's not read so much into it.

However, this thread is probably the reason why recruiters shouldn't be so specific in their public announces on linkedin. I wonder if this one got a bit of an angry call after that. Maybe not until it catches more attention than a 6 pages thread on gaf, ie like an article on a popular website.

Also another thing, just because this is a UK recruitment company, doesn't mean they only recruit for UK studios.

http://g-3d.co.uk/clients

(fun fact : guerilla is in the list of clients ZOMG MS JUST SECURED HORIZON2 !!!!)

anothertech

It's Matt. I love the guy, but he's never been a reliable source. At least not to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The only unreliable source is ppl like you talking out your ass. Geesits

No idea who you're talking about do you

Yes....

pretty much this too.

This just means there's an open world action adventure game that may be more about fantasy and wilderness (Horizon) than current time 'realistic' city (Watchdogs) that's being made by a studio funded by MS.

It doesn't mean "MS is making horizon ripoff and not even hiding it by posting by themselves a job posting mentionning the game"

Now if it's a blatant riff on the same ideas I'll be the first one to make fun of it in 3 years (if it isn't killed), but let's not read so much into it.

However, this thread is probably the reason why recruiters shouldn't be so specific in their public announces on linkedin. I wonder if this one got a bit of an angry call after that. Maybe not until it catches more attention than a 6 pages thread on gaf, ie like an article on a popular website.

Also another thing, just because this is a UK recruitment company, doesn't mean they only recruit for UK studios.

http://g-3d.co.uk/clients

(fun fact : guerilla is in the list of clients ZOMG MS JUST SECURED HORIZON2 !!!!)
Guerilla games had a UK studio until quite recently. Not outside the realms of possibility that they haven't updated that since they were closed.

sphinx

the piano man
No. This is not one of those situations.

wouldn't surprise me if MS demanded from the dev team that they surpass any visuals on PS4 (Horizon, the Order etc)

I mean, they are releasing the most powerful console ever this year, they need games to prove its worth.

RedRum

Banned
How did this thread turn into a shit on Horizon thread lol. Man E3 season gets people riled up easy.

How did this thread turn into anything other than a recruitment agency looking for artists to do landscape similar to HZD... and any other game with open world, outdoor environments.

oti

Banned
Oh boy! Nothing more that I like than devs who from the onset set out to make derivative games! Hopefully they just meant graphically *sigh*

No. They actually mean a direct copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn. Red-haired lady protagonist. Robot dinosaurs. The whole shebang. It's called Roborizon: Hero Dawn.

Playground will have to mass hire if they want to make a Horizon style game. I know Guerilla had to as well, but unlike Guerilla Playground have been making racing games exclusively, not action.

It's also very likely to be years away. If anything people should be upset that they might not be working on Forza Horizon 4.

Best wishes.

Theorry

Playground will have to mass hire if they want to make a Horizon style game. I know Guerilla had to as well, but unlike Guerilla Playground have been making racing games exclusively, not action.

It's also very likely to be years away. If anything people should be upset that they might not be working on Forza Horizon 4.

Best wishes.

They opened a second studio for a new game.

Tonky

wouldn't surprise me if MS demanded from the dev team that they surpass any visuals on PS4 (Horizon, the Order etc)

I mean, they are releasing the most powerful console ever this year, they need games to prove its worth.
Yeah maybe if it were a One X exclusive but keep in mind that game would still have to run on an original Xbox One lol...talk about a dead weight. Also, MS is just not capable of producing Sony-level graphics..look at God of War and Spider-Man. Nothing came close to those.

Theorry

Yeah maybe if it were a One X exclusive but keep in mind that game would still have to run on an original Xbox One lol...talk about a dead weight. Also, MS is just not capable of producing Sony-level graphics..look at God of War and Spider-Man. Nothing came close to those.

Insomniac makes Spider Man a independent dev.

T.O.P

Banned
Well, either you don't want to accept the fact that MS is in need of good games or you are easily satisfied with yearly updates of lukewarm racing games.

oh boy lmao

Pretty curious to see what PG comes up with, godlike studio so far

RedRum

Banned

We are entering danger will Robinson territory now.

LOL

Anticol

Banned
This game, if it gets to release, won't have an easy time on day one. It will be compared on every aspect to HZD not only graphics, but HZD had a great story and amazing combat, it won't be easy but let's see what they do.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
"Where is Microsoft's Horizon? They have no new IPs"

*Microsoft begins work on an open world action RPG*

"lol So original Microsoft"

AtkO

Whilst I agree with you - what the guy is getting at I do kind of agree with. Microsoft threads on here always end up bad nowadays.

So do Sony and Nintendo threads... what's your point?

You always see the same trolls in Sony and Nintendo threads, or at least the same agenda followed by trolls of fanboys, the same happens everywhere, let's not pretend Microsoft is a poor sheep chased by wolves.

watdaeff4

So do Sony and Nintendo threads... what's your point?

You always see the same trolls in Sony and Nintendo threads, or at least the same agenda followed by trolls of fanboys, the same happens everywhere, let's not pretend Microsoft is a poor sheep chased by wolves.

Nintendo threads can get ugly, but not always and "usually" not as bad.

Sony......um, sorry they don't get anywhere close as bad as MS threads. A Sony thread about something stupid they did (e.g. "We must protect the children from the evils of crossplay") can get hairy, but any MS thread....be it Good News or Bad News...brings out the Sony fanboys in droves to shit it up.

nstine

Anyone interpreting "Like Horizon" as anything other than, "We're making an open-world, third person action game." is waaaay overthinking things.

I agree with this. No need for everyone to get so worked up. I'm just happy that MS is working on a new RPG IP as it is a genre that I enjoy and that their first party lineup is largely missing.

As for originality, just about anything game you make (or even anything you do) is going to show influences from other things. That's just a part of learning from the past. There's nothing really wrong with that as long as it's not straight up plagiarism and trying to claim it as your own.

Though a lot of people have forgotten about it and it's a FPS instead of action RPG, I think you could make a case for Turok having similarities to Horizon. The main character is part of a Native American tribe who is chosen to protect/save the world while battling dinosaurs (also aliens and robots etc). There's a sci-fi plot and villain. The 2nd and I believe 3rd game are even semi-open with a hub world and non-linear progression. The 3rd game you even get to choose between a male or female lead which was pretty uncommon for the time. There's upgradable weapons and etc too. Hell, throw in some towers to climb to reveal the map plus quest giving npcs and you've got a pretty solid base for a more modern open world game.

Toni

Ha ha.

Hold on. Wait, you're serious?

Boy, do I like the way this thread is going.

vgqH2ij.gif

Or things changed. We never know probably.

Yup that's true.

If they really were to make a Horizon Zero Dawn like game basically they would be making a game that has aspects of Tomb Raider, Zelda, Uncharted etc. Horizon borrows heavily from many games, it does it well though.

Not even hiding it. First, Phil just had to have his own Uncharted, so he money hatted Tomb Raider...

Now, they need their own Horizon...

MisterR

Whilst I agree with you - what the guy is getting at I do kind of agree with. Microsoft threads on here always end up bad nowadays.

Everybody on here takes turn taking shit. The whole week has been shitting on Sony about cross play. People just get defensive when it's their console of chose getting heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom