• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulby

Whatever this turns out to be, I do really hope Playground gets to try their hand at something different. They are as quality a developer as it out there at the moment.

Nintendo threads can get ugly, but not always and "usually" not as bad.

Sony......um, sorry they don't get anywhere close as bad as MS threads. A Sony thread about something stupid they did (e.g. "We must protect the children from the evils of crossplay") can get hairy, but any MS thread....be it Good, Bad or Ugly....brings out the Sony fanboys in droves to shit it up.

This is not to you personally but ...I have to cackle a bit

The fact that someone of y'all keep so much tabs on this stuff just tells me that all of y'all got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on y'all hands. I don't get the self righteous stance of trying not to look like a fanboy but still can collect or memorize when certain threads are going one way and not the other etc etc...don't you think it's kind of ridiculous? lol. Not you persay but the entire idea of this? It's not passion for games that's doing this at all.

Grazzt

Hey look, another MS thread turned to shit in first page. One person did not read the op and so many blindly followed, so original lol

Crayon

This seems to unambiguously declare they are working on a game like horizon. Almost like an announcement. Yet is unofficial so simultaneously just a rumor.

theWB27

The fact that someone of y'all keep so much tabs on this stuff just tells me that all of y'all got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on y'all hands. I don't get the self righteous stance of trying not to look like a fanboy but still can collect or memorize when certain threads are going one way and not the other etc etc...don't you think it's kind of ridiculous? lol. Not you persay but the entire idea of this? It's not passion for games that's doing this at all.

You usually keep in touch with your hobbies. If you frequent a forum that talks about said hobby you'll be more informed.

RootCause

Some of you really can't take that Horizon is a success. And lol at comparing it to FC/AC. Ubi wishes(and apparently MS too) it had a game with such satisfying combat.

watdaeff4

I have all three consoles (well four even if we still want to count WiiU lol) so I read a lot of threads about all three. So what?

It doesn't take much to "collect and memorize" how threads are going when threads about one of the Big Three always wind up in a similar fashion. And excuse me for having a decent enough memory to notice that there are posters who sing the praises of Sony in one thread often are shitting on MS (or Nintendo) in another thread.

And since you are insinuating I'm a fanboy, I guess I would be a Sony fanboy as my PSN ID is the same as my GAF name.

Freeman76

The original advert for Horizon was probably similar.

Making game using witcher senses and open world mechanics from Witcher 3 and just about every other open world action game....

You usually keep in touch with your hobbies. If you frequent a forum that talks about said hobby you'll be more informed.

There's a difference with being informed, and keeping tabs on the threads themselves. And not specifically the thread topic but what other people are saying about thread topics. Unless your saying it's a hobby to point out fanboys and keep tabs on names you know have something controversial to say because in your eyes they are more a fanboy than you etc etc, then your just proving my point.

Anyways, my point above has nothing to do with the thread topic at hand but I just couldn't help but notice that more people were arguing about fanbases rather than a game like Horizon actually getting high clout in the industry as a whole that it's name is being used as a recruiting tool for people who would like to make such said game. It's cute and shows that Guerilla did step up to shake off Killzone.

I have all three consoles (well four even if we still want to count WiiU lol) so I read a lot of threads about all three. So what?

It doesn't take much to "collect and memorize" how threads are going when threads about one of the Big Three always wind up in a similar fashion. And excuse me for having a decent enough memory to notice that there are posters who sing the praises of Sony in one thread often are shitting on MS (or Nintendo) in another thread.

And since you are insinuating I'm a fanboy, I guess I would be a Sony fanboy as my PSN ID is the same as my GAF name.

I do remember saying my post wasn't about you personally so I don't know what this is all about. But I redacted most of it so....not sure what to say 🤷🏾*♀️

watdaeff4

As far as Horizon not being original.....then 1) all games are a Pong knock-off and 2) it's still a fun game so who cares?

Same way for the fanboys mocking MS for "creating a Horizon knock-off"

watdaeff4

There's a difference with being informed, and keeping tabs on the threads themselves. And not specifically the thread topic but what other people are saying about thread topics. Unless your saying it's a hobby to point out fanboys and keep tabs on names you know have something controversial to say because in your eyes they are more a fanboy than you etc etc, then your just proving my point.

Anyways, my point above has nothing to do with the thread topic at hand but I just couldn't help but notice that more people were arguing about fanbases rather than a game like Horizon actually getting high clout in the industry as a whole that it's name is being used as a recruiting tool for people who would like to make such said game. It's cute and shows that Guerilla did step up to shake off Killzone.

1) It just would be nice to have a few (or even one anymore) MS thread that Sony warriors don't flock to and shit up. Period.

2) I agree that is a big feather in Guerilla's cap.

So the next Forza Horizon will have robot racing?

Damn sounds fresh.

You're a couple pages late with that joke. Sorry.

Toni

Some of you really can't take that Horizon is a success. And lol at comparing it to FC/AC. Ubi wishes(and apparently MS too) it had a game with such satisfying combat.

Not just the awesome combat or the momenr-to-moment combat which is unmatched this gen, but an open world with legit proper combat and an awesome story. Areas where 99.9% of games that attempt open word development hit and miss.

Other awesome positives includea a super solid protagonist that you vibe with from the first 50 minutes, brilliant crafting mechanics, perfect technical performance, and a sublime open world design.

Horizon gets many folks rustled for being almost too perfect.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It definitely was original, yes. How many games have you played focused on taking down robo dinosaurs? How about the last really good sci-fi story set in a gorgeous open world? Redhead female lead character?

How many games are TRULY original? Horizon has a lot of really unique and uncommon things about it. Absolutely brilliant game. Better than any Microsoft exclusive IMO BTW.
Horizon is basically a blend of Witcher, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, a sprinkle of Skyrim, and some Uncharted cinema direction. Robot dinosaurs aren't new or original, and red head female lead is what makes things original now? Sci-fi open world makes it original now? Come on, fam.

Not that a game needs to be original to be good... you guys really need to relax.

Still haven't played horizon. However I have ordered it from amazon.

Do it its a good game

Horizon is basically a blend of Witcher, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, a sprinkle of Skyrim, and some Uncharted cinema direction. Robot dinosaurs aren't new or original, and red head female lead is what makes things original now? Sci-fi open world makes it original now? Come on, fam.

Not that a game needs to be original to be good... you guys really need to relax.

This its like a really simple rpg with fluid combat.

Plasma

Banned
I really liked Horizon so if there are more games like it with their own unique setting I'd be more than happy with that.

theWB27

Nah... if you frequent a place you're more aware of its nuances. I'm aware of how certain people post in certain politic threads. You're aware that, not just in this thread, people are posting about threads.

And yes... good for GG for finding success.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This really says a lot about this industry.

Also what exactly makes a "Horizon Zero Dawn style" game?
Nothing... they're only using it as an example because it's recent and critically acclaimed...
They would've used Witcher or Skyrim had those titles been recent.

Gaenor

Banned
Not just the awesome combat or the momenr-to-moment combat which is unmatched this gen, but an open world with legit proper combat and an awesome story. Areas where 99.9% of games that attempt open word development hit and miss.

Other awesome positives includea a super solid protagonist that you vibe with from the first 50 minutes, brilliant crafting mechanics, perfect technical performance, and a sublime open world design.

Horizon gets many folks rustled for being almost too perfect.

I love Horizon as any of the next guy and I don't get the downplaying people do here (well I get it, it's on the "other" console), but almost too perfect? Very few will agree with that though.

I feel like a Fable 4 with a massive open-world could do very well.

Seriously, Fable is the perfect franchise for a big Witcher/Horizon/Zelda-type game. Doesn't have to be as serious in tone as those games, but match them in scope.

Yeah saw this earlier from MSpoweruser or something. Interesting indeed.

I wonder if it is Playground. I am sure Jez will hear something more substantial sometime within the next year. He is very reliable.

Just because it says similar to doesn't mean it would literally be a straight copy. There's all kinds of ways to build games in that vein while being unique. And imo the world/story gameplay etc makes all the difference.

Anyway, would love to see this happen.

Gwyn

Looks like some people are triggered by the fact that MS works on new open world IP.
Why would someone be salty about that?
Help please

JlNX

So this is a recruitment agency that Playground uses not MS, it points towards a MS first party game with the recruiter being UK based. A game which is similar to a open-world RPG which Playground has made out that their second game studios game would be. So this logically could mean that MS is in fact funding and publishing Playgrounds new game, we know MS only publishes now if they own the IP. Probably a deal like the first one they had with Playground were they originally funded the studio, MS would be publishing both of the two playground studios games but also own both IP's which means MS has a scary amount of control over Playground as a studio. I wonder if MS wants to buy them in the future because they are effectively going to be locked down as a first party studio for a long time with Horizon being their main business and this new IP being controlled by MS. Then again it might not be Playground but it makes a ton of sense, because the only other studio it could be would be gobo but from what I remember they don't use this recruitment agency.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Horizon was basically Far Cry + Tomb Raider and turned out great

Far Cry? The new Tomb Raider games have crafting from animals you kill too.

Horizon was literally Tomb Raider with robot dinosaurs. Which is completely ok. The new Tomb Tiader games are fucking awesome, which by extension means HZD is fucking awesome.

specdot

late to the party, Microsoft. very very late to the party

while Horizon and Zelda blew everyone away you were too busy creating scorpio.

but better late than never.
Yeah but this game is going to be TRUE 4K and run at Sixty Fra...lol it'll probably run at 30 fps.

blakep267

Far Cry? The new Tomb Raider games have crafting from animals you kill too.

Horizon was literally Tomb Raider with robot dinosaurs. Which is completely ok. The new Tomb Tiader games are fucking awesome, which by extension means HZD is fucking awesome.
For some reason you'll probably get jumped on for saying this, but it's funny because when I first started playing Horizon I was like... this is Rise of the tomb raider but with a different setting/hook

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You have my interest Playground.

edit: wait, people think Horizon plays like Tomb Raider? Come on.

watdaeff4

I do remember saying my post wasn't about you personally so I don't know what this is all about. But I redacted most of it so....not sure what to say 🤷🏾*♀️
You quoted me and come across with a mocking, condescending post. To say it wasn't "personal" is just disinginuous. That's like when people start a statement with "No offense, but...." and then proceed to say something they know the other person will take offense to.

And I was just giving a response how it's not that hard at all to see how Sony fanboys swoop in to shit up MS threads

Whilst I agree with you - what the guy is getting at I do kind of agree with. Microsoft threads on here always end up bad nowadays.
Only MS threads? You don't think a bit hyperbolic? Come on, it happens in all platform threads, one platform is always trashed.

gijsbrecht

Neo Member
I know some people on Gaf like to shit on HZD for some reason, but it seems that at least in the world of developers it gets the recognition it deserves ( in my opinion ), when it's being rereferenced to while hiring. Sony already got a great game out of this concept, hopefully MS will get another. Everybody wins.

Toni

For some reason you'll probably get jumped on for saying this, but it's funny because when I first started playing Horizon I was like... this is Rise of the tomb raider but with a different setting/hook

Funnily enough, many people would think the same thing about Tomb Raider after playing The Last Of Us.

Dont see a problem.

Sony developed Killzone as a Halo killer.

Then Uncharted implemented Gear of War gameplay and made it into their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom