• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft responds - "Why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One".

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps3ud0

Haha, that is a good point though. I feel the same.

I mean, I do think that April NPD had little to do with the upcoming $400 SKU but I do think it's a bit silly for them to announce it as early as they did. They should have waited to do it during the last week of May IMO. Decent amount of time for pre-orders (about 2 weeks) + not as big of an impact on May sales. At least that's what would have made more sense to me ::shoulder shrug::.
More worried that that information/response wouldnt have died down before they do their E3 event - thats why its been announced. Theyll know internally what they are shifting per month so perhaps aware announcing early wont do much damage before E3...

I think they want E3 to be as a clean slate as possible, perhaps they had no Kinect games to showcase for it so another reason to get Kinectless out of the way? Possible reasons...

ps3ud0 8)

The only difference is the packaging process.

True, but that also requires new materials for packaging, and all the potential people involved in that. It's not like MS employees are making the boxes. Then as I said they have to set up Purchase orders with retailers. The Titanfall bundle was announced a month in advance, closer to 3 weeks whatevs, as well for similar reasons. It is hard to keep these things secret, especially when everything you have done the last year has seemed to leak in some way.

Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

And yet saying your product will stay the same is arrogant to some people...Yeah, sure.

He's forgetting a few items tho:

-Less powerful, more expensive (now less powerful, as expensive)
-Horrible reveal
-Tacky DRM policies
-Arrogant mouthpieces
-Treating gamers like idiots (cloud)
-Bad to indies
-Less games
-Making extreme 180s left and right while killing the original vision and coming off as reactionary and lacking any sort of confidence and conviction, and making consumers think the product is in trouble as a result ensuring they'll stay away from it.

But hey, I'm just a guy who plays games, what do I know...

It's a little concerning all the articles and news stories about how Xbox will soon be back ontop! And soon we will unlock the real power without kinect.

It's all so scummy

Tsundere

Banned
True, but that also requires new materials for packaging, and all the potential people involved in that. It's not like MS employees are making the boxes. Then as I said they have to set up Purchase orders with retailers. The Titanfall bundle was announced a month in advance, closer to 3 weeks whatevs, as well for similar reasons. It is hard to keep these things secret, especially when everything you have done the last year has seemed to leak in some way.

I don't see why they need new packaging materials, just the outer box cover...

The box isn't going to change sizes, so may as well use the materials already in the supply chain and just change the box art.

The only other different I see is that the user manual will need to have "Sold separately" written for Kinect related stuff.

psn

PR guys are gonna PR. Amazing reading some of the responses here, as if this guy is the reason they won't own a One. Some will always have an excuse why they don't own a One.

People dont need an excuse.
In my opinion you'd rather need one for having one atm. Especially outside of the US.

I don't see why they need new packaging materials, just the outer box cover...

The box isn't going to change sizes, so may as well use the materials already in the supply chain and just change the box art.

The only other different I see is that the user manual will need to have "Sold separately" written for Kinect related stuff.

Regardless. I still don't think they could have hid this for much longer if they didn't announce it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Then why do all my previously 360 only friends own ps4s?

Fuck off you arrogant pricks.

Nothing has really changed in tgeirbattitudes from last e3.

Until Microsoft has further bloodbath at the top of their organization I have no intention on buying anything they make.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
If PR is supposed to maintain a positive image and persuade others to gravitate toward their platform, why does Microsoft's PR do the opposite?

atpbx

Dear world, I've final lost my mind and am just sat here saying any old shit that comes into my head to try and divert as much attention away from the fact that the console I am employed to promote is a complete disaster.

Kind Regards,

Yusuf Mehdi- Fucking Bellend In Chief, Microsoft Console Division.

CoG

The talk for a kinectless SKU was made as soon as Phil got his position back in the beginning of April. Plus if April sales were really REALLY BAD, I don't think they would have announced the new SKU coming next month at a time in which it will pretty much have an impact on May sales for a whole half of the month. And the PR spin is mainly in response to the criticism that came from the announcement of the $400 SKU.

The whole attributing Phil Spencer to the new SKU and paywall drop is ridiculous. The guy wears gaming tees and tweets so everyone thinks he's their pal. Fact is, he was right up there with Don and Yusuf pushing the TV and DRM dream a year ago. The new SKU is a result of poor sales. Period.

Phil's a better figurehead than Don but at the end of the day he's still an exec with higher ups to answer to.

FiggyCal

Banned
Haha, that is a good point though. I feel the same.

I mean, I do think that April NPD had little to do with the upcoming $400 SKU but I do think it's a bit silly for them to announce it as early as they did. They should have waited to do it during the last week of May IMO. Decent amount of time for pre-orders (about 2 weeks) + not as big of an impact on May sales. At least that's what would have made more sense to me ::shoulder shrug::.

I think with this upcoming NPD we'll see that the Xbox One is dangerously close to 5 digits. If that prediction is true, then it would be to MS's best interest to cut the price rather than tough it during one of the slowest months of the year.

Sydle

We already have a thread on the original interview. Why do we need this one too with the exact same response?

In any case, Mehdi should learn from Spencer on how to give interviews. Or Spencer should find a new CMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom