• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft responds - "Why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One".

Status
Not open for further replies.
The talk for a kinectless SKU was made as soon as Phil got his position back in the beginning of April. Plus if April sales were really REALLY BAD, I don't think they would have announced the new SKU coming next month at a time in which it will pretty much have an impact on May sales for a whole half of the month. And the PR spin is mainly in response to the criticism that came from the announcement of the $400 SKU.

So sales were so good that they couldn't wait to let everybody know about a cheaper version?

OneUh8

My head hurts. Statements like this is one of the big reasons the PS4 is selling more right now on top of other reason. Microsoft just needs to shut up and let this play out.

jimi_dini

So Wii owners enjoy their Wii even more and that's why even less people bought Wii Us.

I own a Wii U myself, superb system

rjc571

Banned
I think the real reason the PS4 is winning is due to the weather. Nobody was able to go to the store to pick up an Xbone because it was so cold this winter, but the PS4 was still able to sell because Sony fans are more tolerant of extreme temperatures than Microsoft fans.

Everytime Yusef opens his mouth my brain forgets all of the good things MS has done since launch.

That's not a good thing for Microsoft. They need to put a muzzle on this guy, because he has no idea how to interact with the people he's trying to sell his product to.

"What the NPDs show today is the power of the Xbox family. Most gamers are currently interested in upgrading to the next generation Xbox One but with the continuous flood of fantastic 360 titles still coming out and consumer satisfaction through the roof they are presented with fantastic choice in the Xbox ecosystem."

The scary thing about this is we might get PR close to this tonight. Titanfall did come out for the 360 in April...

VaizardNL

Banned
Are you trying to get a job at MS? You will fit right in.

Remarks like this is what is wrong with the internet rangers nowadays. Whenever someone does not agree with the herd, they get 'picked on' with lame lines/annoying jokes that are not original nor funny. It's sickening and bloody annoying/childish.

You are not the only one Freeman, I just couldn't resist to respond now.

[/rant]

stiktis

I think the real reason the PS4 is winning is due to the weather. Nobody was able to go to the store to pick up an Xbone because it was so cold this winter, but the PS4 was still able to sell because Sony fans are more tolerant of extreme temperatures than Microsoft fans.

It IS true that a lot of Sony fans started to wear beanies lately... :)

Bgamer90

Banned
So sales were so good that they couldn't wait to let everybody know about a cheaper version?

Wouldn't you think it would have made more sense to announce the $400 SKU near the end of the month (similar to Titanfall bundle being announced at the end of February) so that it wouldn't have as huge of an impact on May sales?

"April was terrible. Let's have an even worse May!"

That's some funny shit there, but it's also insulting the intelligence of everyone that reads these quotes.

Maybe he should take some STFU lessons, because sometimes it's better to lay low.

Kevin-Spacey-Sarcastic-Are-You-Kidding-Me-Reaction-Gif.gif

Wouldn't you think it would have made more sense to announce the $400 SKU near the end of the month (similar to Titanfall bundle being announced at the end of February) so that it wouldn't have as huge of an impact on May sales?
It's a built-in excuse for expected low May sales.

Good to see that Medhi is trying to fill the idiot quota left in the wake of Mattrick.

Do you think that realise that all of last year's bad PR contributed to their current struggles in the market?

Nugg

I'm guessing there was no way to stealth plan this without leaking so they just went ahead. I don't know it's weird.

Endo Punk

Well the most requested feature on PS3 was the one 360 owners have been enjoying since 2005. I don't think its entirely true but I wouldn't be surprised that PS3 owners are more inclined to upgrade fast than 360 owners. I also think PS4 is a bigger upgrade over PS3 than XB1 over 360 which plays a role too.

There are lots of things Microsoft has done that don't make sense to me.

If sales really low this month giving up one month of sales not going to hurt and it makes for better PR.
Cause we all know after this month NPD what people going to say since the writing was on the wall for a while .

psychotron

Phil needs to bitch slap this guy. Microsoft is making some great moves lately, and this is the kind of shit that will set them back.

krioto

Yeah, this is why people really dislike Yusuf Mehdi.

Phil Spencer needs to slap him upside the head and tell him to keep his mouth shut because it always seems like Yusuf has something queued up to make himself and the Xbox division look like complete jackasses.
Does your avatar really say 'I believe in phil spencer'? Why would you put that there?

Just shut up already, let's list what you've done so far this gen.

Annoy early adopters.
180 so many times its become a joke.
Lost your consoles identity..
Look desperate as heck.
PR/Management constantly giving out false or then later corrected info
Split the user base again...

This release will go down as one of the worst console releases ever IMO.

Pretty much sums it up.

Bgamer90

Banned
There are lots of things Microsoft has done that don't make sense to me.

Haha, that is a good point though. I feel the same.

I mean, I do think that April NPD had little to do with the upcoming $400 SKU but I do think it's a bit silly for them to announce it as early as they did. They should have waited to do it during the last week of May IMO. Decent amount of time for pre-orders (about 2 weeks) + not as big of an impact on May sales. At least that's what would have made more sense to me ::shoulder shrug::.

I mean, I do think that April NPD had little to do with the upcoming $400 SKU but I do think it's a bit silly for them to announce it as early as they did. They should have waited to do it during the last week of May IMO. Decent amount of time for pre-orders (about 2 weeks) + not as big of an impact on May sales. At least that's what would have made more sense to me ::shoulder shrug::.

Just for sheer logistical reasons I don't know how long they could have kept the Kinectless sku secret. They have to be manufacturing those around this time and partnering with retailers, print ads for retailers are negotiated weeks sometimes months in advance. On top of that they have been pretty leaky the last year. So probably best to hear it straight from them rather than somewhere else so it doesn't look like they were trying to hide the sku to move other skus.

Tsundere

Banned
Just for sheer logistical reasons I don't know how long they could have kept the Kinectless sku secret. They have to be manufacturing those around this time and partnering with retailers, print ads for retailers are negotiated weeks sometimes months in advance. On top of that they have been pretty leaky the last year. So probably best to hear it straight from them rather than somewhere else so it doesn't look like they were trying to hide the sku to move other skus.

The only difference is the packaging process.

Nzyme32

OP, is it really helpful to post so much memeish crap stuff before providing any meaningful info?

On topic, I don't buy their "People are more happy with the Xbox 360 than PS3" reasoning. For a start the comparison is uncalled for and without evidence. It would have been a more trust worth response if he had simply focused on their own products. In that case, what they are really saying is "we haven't given enough reasons for people to make the jump", which also probably contains a fair few jumping to the other competitors out there.

The 40+ markets thing is a fair enough comment though. It would be useful to see the sales of the regions they both in in that regard, and then make a meaningful comparison

The only half sensible reason in announcing a price cut nearly a good month before it hits the shops I can think of is because they think it will stop people going out and buying a PS4 in May/early June, because the $399 Bone is coming.

But even that is baffling given the circumstances. Perhaps if the Xbone was severely supply constrained right now and so gamers were picking up PS4's instead, this would be a plausible if desperate strategy to halt a competitors sales.

But the Bone is pilled up in stores everywhere it is released.

I don't know what they are thinking.

"April was terrible. Let's have an even worse May!"

Depends upon how you look at it... We don't know how many 360 owners are jumping to PS4 each month (Tracked by Live subs). This may be an attempt to stop that bleeding. They may loose some sales in may but they could potentially stop some converts at the same time so it may be a wash.

Well the most requested feature on PS3 was the one 360 owners have been enjoying since 2005. I don't think its entirely true but I wouldn't be surprised that PS3 owners are more inclined to upgrade fast than 360 owners. I also think PS4 is a bigger upgrade over PS3 than XB1 over 360 which plays a role too.
Nom, PS3 still has many exclusive games coming to it causing its owners less reason to upgrade. Those who used their PS3/360 for multi-platform games mostly were more likely to upgrade, and since PS4 was cheaper/no DRM initially announced, many went for PS4. People went from PS2 to 360 last gen because 360 was cheaper.

Marleyman

Banned
PR guys are gonna PR. Amazing reading some of the responses here, as if this guy is the reason they won't own a One. Some will always have an excuse why they don't own a One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom