• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft responds - "Why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One".

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOHIPEET

Not the same as actually launching though. Not expecting huge sales regardless.

In Hungary, X1 isn't out yet, but all the major stores (at least the online ones) have them. I assume it's the same, or at least similar in the rest of eastern Europe. So yeah, I don't think an official release will boost sales that much.

(However China can hold some surprises.)

People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360.

youre_serious_futuramlsdgx.gif

sono

MS -Your aim to outside the PS4 worldwide - right ?

I am unsure how this statement helps with that, but its probably because I am not a marketing person.

Come back to me when you have outsold the PS4 worldwide and then I will follow I am sure.

Danlord

Microsoft have handled virtually everything poorly ever since their first unveiling of the Xbox One, and from there is has been completely dreadful. They have been called out on all their crap so many times, from DRM reversal to Penello's ramblings to "Balance" to Kinect-removal and everything else I've missed.

Sony have stayed silent, and by listening to the fans and any problems we've had has mostly been fixed, most recently the Driveclub crap they almost pulled. We got wind of it, complained and kicked up a fuss and within 24 hours it was put right. They haven't needed to make a lot of excuses, because they've listened and accepted what they've done. They offered a clear vision, completely focused and work to improve that.
Microsoft had a vision that no-one accepted and have spent the time between their DRM reversal until now making excuses far and between, making claims and going back on them months later (Kinect built in) and not being consistent with how they want the Xbox One to be. Come E3, I think Microsoft should just make the huge game announces (Halo 2 Anniversary, Crackdown 3 teaser, Gears teaser, Sunset Overdrive gameplay) and just stay silent, working on games and listening to the fans getting good OS feedback and game feedback.

Maybe Microsoft will realise there's a market for Project Gotham Racing and/or Perfect Dark that wants a new title, and their arrogance/incompetence is clouding that whilst they justify the weaker XBO sales because people are happier with an Xbox 360 and see no reason to get an Xbox One.

Jack cw

MS -Your aim to outside the PS4 worldwide - right ?

I am unsure how this statement helps with that, but its probably because I am not a marketing person.

Come back to me when you have outsold the PS4 worldwide and then I will follow I am sure.

His PR is shit, we can all agree with that but on the other hand its his job to do this. What else should he say? We fail because our left hand doesnt know what the right hand does? Admit that our philosophy failed in every aspect and are just reacting to Sony instead of being proactive and have no idea how to save the sinking ship?

Kurt

My support for MS is gone. First i though, maybe i would buy one for Killer instinct...
This only confirms my decision again.

roytheone

Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

What.... I don't even...... They really can't believe this themselfs right? RIGHT??????

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Much like Sony last gen, a couple years of being spanked will teach them a lesson in humility and we'll probably get an xbox division that has the customer in mind again.

Wait it out.

?? MS have always been arrogant.. whats the difference now? they keep say they are listening to the 'fans' which is bullshit all they are listening to is the sales lol

SykoTech

•They are 40+ markets that Sony is in where we are in 13.

Was definitely expecting this point to pop up. I honestly think it wouldn't make much of a difference at all if the markets were equal though, but I guess I have no way of proving that. Not a very strong point, but an understandable one.

And the next one must be about the price differe--

•Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

....oh wow. I don't think I'veseen a spin like that, not even from anyone here on GAF. Laughing at work now.

Never understood the argument of the PS4 being in the lead because it is in more countries at the moment. Namely because the PS4 has outsold the Xbone in every country the Xbone is in currently, including what will likely be behind 500k+ in the US by June.

But sure! Belgium, Sweden, and Japan are the difference! Not even going to address the other reason because l o l

iceatcs

Today NPD will be very interesting I bet. I suspect it is very very bad made MS announce kinect less and many PRs spin today.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Same here in Belgium, and all I hear in my store is people begging for those PS4's to arrive.

I get semi-daily emails from chain gamestores here in the netherlands, offering imported german Xbox One consoles, selling for below retail price.

For an indication on how XB1 in selling in mainland europe where the console has launched, check out the PAL sales charts.

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 19, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (03) PS3 FIFA FUSSBALL-WELTMEISTERSCHAFT BRASILIEN 2014 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (02) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (NE) PS4 BOUND BY FLAME (KOCH MEDIA)
04 (05) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
05 (13) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (01) PC DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
07 (21) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (45) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
09 (73) PS4 KNACK (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
10 (09) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
11 (07) 3DS YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND (NINTENDO)
12 (04) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (12) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
14 (20) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
15 (08) PC GOAT SIMULATOR - DER ZIEGEN-SIMULATOR (KOCH MEDIA)
16 (27) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
17 (15) 360 MINECRAFT - XBOX 360 EDITION (AK TRONIC)
18 (16) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)
19 (18) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
20 (14) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)
21 (26) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
22 (22) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)
23 (47) 360 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
24 (10) PC DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES)
25 (39) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
26 (17) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
27 (24) 3DS MARIO KART 7 (NINTENDO)
28 (23) PC DIABLO III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
29 (68) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
30 (33) PC ARMA III (FLASHPOINT)
31 (44) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
32 (NE) PS3 THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
33 (30) PS3 DIABLO III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
34 (32) PS3 THE ELDER SCROLLS V - SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
35 (25) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
36 (__) PS4 TRIALS FUSION - DELUXE EDITION (UBISOFT)
37 (87) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
38 (29) 3DS THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
39 (48) PC LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 2013 (ASTRAGON)
40 (31) 3DS MARIO GOLF: WORLD TOUR (NINTENDO)
41 (34) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
42 (40) PC COMMAND & CONQUER ULTIMATE COLLECTION (DOWNLOAD CODE) (AK TRONIC)
43 (35) PS4 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
44 (__) PC CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
45 (76) PS4 NBA 2K14 (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
46 (06) PS4 THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
47 (NE) PSV GOD OF WAR COLLECTION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
48 (36) WIU DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE (NINTENDO)
49 (38) PS3 SOUTH PARK: DER STAB DER WAHRHEIT (UBISOFT)
50 (28) PS3 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER (SQUARE ENIX / KOCH MEDIA)

Top 50

PS4 - 13
PS3 - 13
PC - 10
3DS - 8
360 - 4
WIU - 1
PSV - 1

Aside from the UK, it's apparently dead. Tracking below Wii-U in terms of game sales in Germany.

But yes. Surely launching it in the Netherlands and other EU countries will change things.
They have to lose this dream and double down on the UK and US, because outside of these two countries it's pretty much decided already.

sunofsam

Keep eating it up.

There is a duality happening in the public face of Microsoft:

Good Announcements; hype inducing stuff - Lets throw Spencer at it. The kids are eating up what he is saying. He is the new guard and shiny and all that is right with the Brand.

Mediiocre Announcements, bad performing sales, news that may not be great - Throw Yusuf at it. He's from the Old Regime, tainted, we still need to get this info out, but lets not tarnish Spencer with the news.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
His PR is shit, we can all agree with that but on the other hand its his job to do this. What else should he say? We fail because our left hand doesnt know what the right hand does? Admit that our philosophy failed in every aspect and are just reacting to Sony instead of being proactive and have no idea how to save the sinking ship?

"We admit that we got things wrong but we are currently trying our hardest to put it right. The Kinectless SKU is just the beginning. We are investing heavily in supporting the XB1 with brand new IPs and some old favourites too. I'm sure at E3 gamers will see that we mean what we say."

Is it that hard? Or is it impossible when you're arrogant at your core?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Never understood the argument of the PS4 being in the lead because it is in more countries at the moment. Namely because the PS4 has outsold the Xbone in every country the Xbone is in currently, including what will likely be behind 500k+ in the US by June.
I don't believe that. I think Xbone has sold more in Brazil!

Gangxxter

Microsoft... Yusuf... this thread... all of this is so hilarious. Can't stop grinning right now in the subway.

Golden material ITT.

I get semi-daily emails from chain gamestores here in the netherlands, offering imported german Xbox One consoles, selling for below retail price.

For an indication on how XB1 in selling in mainland europe where the console has launched, check out the PAL sales charts.

Aside from the UK, it's apparently dead. Tracking below Wii-U in terms of game sales in Germany.

But yes. Surely launching it in the Netherlands and other EU countries will change things.
They have to lose this dream and double down on the UK and US, because outside of these two countries it's pretty much decided already.

And Microsoft is aiming for 40% of the market in Germany this gen.

Interfectum

Today NPD will be very interesting I bet. I suspect it is very very bad made MS announce kinect less and many PRs spin today.

"What the NPDs show today is the power of the Xbox family. Most gamers are currently interested in upgrading to the next generation Xbox One but with the continuous flood of fantastic 360 titles still coming out and consumer satisfaction through the roof they are presented with fantastic choice in the Xbox ecosystem."

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They'll be lucky to get 40‰

They'll be lucky to get 20%

"What the NPDs show today is the power of the Xbox family. Most gamers are currently interested in upgrading to the next generation Xbox One but with the continuous flood of fantastic 360 titles still coming out and consumer satisfaction through the roof they are presented with fantastic choice in the Xbox ecosystem, which is why we are going to stop production of the 360 soon."

Sid

"What the NPDs show today is the power of the Xbox family. Most gamers are currently interested in upgrading to the next generation Xbox One but with the continuous flood of fantastic 360 titles still coming out and consumer satisfaction through the roof they are presented with fantastic choice in the Xbox ecosystem."
You should be hired by MS PR lol

Bgamer90

Banned

The talk for a kinectless SKU was made as soon as Phil got his position back in the beginning of April. Plus if April sales were really REALLY BAD, I don't think they would have announced the new SKU coming next month at a time in which it will pretty much have an impact on May sales for a whole half of the month. And the PR spin is mainly in response to the criticism that came from the announcement of the $400 SKU.

driver116

I think it's the "more than PS3 owners do" part that's controversial. He didn't need to say that.

All he had to say was that the Xbox 360 is still getting good support, such good support that there are still many people playing the system and not seeing the need to purchase its successor yet. "We hope that will change though with this new SKU, our E3 announcements, as well as the upcoming Xbox One games." Boom. Done.

Bringing in and comparing other consoles just rubs people the wrong way and adds fuel to the console war.

Exactly.

PranooY

No titanfall/ other xbox one titles in PAL Germany top 50? Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom