• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft reveals Augmented Reality kit, presumably for Xbox One

Krejlooc

Banned
http://vrfocus.com/archives/10844/microsoft-reveals-augmented-reality-hmd-suggests-xbox-one-support/

3NcPUPU.png

Not really a lot of new information for those who have been following this - this is Fortaleza - but the image is new.

That's a pretty busy image. It does make me want to have a coffee table that can project things holographically though. It would be nice furniture.

Apathy

My guess was they were going to go the AR route instead of VR (although not mutually exclusive, they could get into VR as well).

Heh... I wonder if it works.

I can't imagine that projecting a virtual world to glasses, render it on an HD screen and project it to another separate screen is a feasible thing, or if perhaps they'll implement it in a more efficient manner.

But with most things motion/AR related my position right now is to be immensely skeptical by default. I learned my lesson with Kinect's original demos.

Ferrio

Banned
Augmented reality for the most part is really lame, not sure why developers have realized this yet.

edit: Atleast for gaming.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder how 'new' this image really is. I mean, it might the first we're seeing it, but it could be an old mockup still.

That is a baffling image. Makes more sense once you read the link. But seriously, yikes. I wonder if MS has considered that AR will have the same space constraints as Kinect.

Ooccoo

They didn't learn with Kinect it seems. Watch Rare make a game for the new VR peripheral.

I think I'm going to cry in a corner.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think many people really understand what Augmented reality will ultimately be - it is the future, but it's also a good 20 years away from being what we want it to be. Eventually, Augmented Reality will be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJI8tNG1rbQ

Augmented Reality should be virtual reality abstracted over reality. Here is a proof of concept being worked on from several years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jpWiTVR0GA

Again, we're just not there yet. VR is walking, AR is running. The things we need to solve for great VR will make for great AR; they're not solved yet. This is a very limited, specific use tease of AR, similar to CastAR. I think it's definitely worth pursuing, but it won't be what we want it to be for a very long time.

This is why I laughed at the idea some people had that AR would be better than VR.

Also AR is going to be completely foreign and difficult to devs whereas VR is mainly the same just making it work with VR.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is why I laughed at the idea some people had that AR would be better than VR.

AR descends from VR.

Also AR is going to be completely foreign and difficult to devs whereas VR is mainly the same just making it work with VR.

I make VR games. This isn't even remotely true. You have to reconsider virtually your entire design philosophy from the start.

I make VR games. This isn't even remotely true. You have to reconsider virtually your entire design philosophy from the start.

I understand its very different, basically what I mean is, you can port a game or make a game compatible with VR, but it takes some work. AR would be completely different in the sense that you aren't even making things on a screen.

SummitAve

Banned
I don't know....in context to the presentation it felt like this was just a mock up or rendering of how people might be interacting with their windows devices rather than a reveal of anything...

*citation needed*

Also, "good AR" is an order of magnitude more difficult to implement than "good VR" and VR is just getting off the ground.

that is true but I'd be happy with having hud elements and the like on a google glass like system.

I wouldn't buy it just for that purpose though, it'd have to have uses outside of gaming as well

I don't think many people really understand what Augmented reality will ultimately be - it is the future, but it's also a good 20 years away from being what we want it to be. Eventually, Augmented Reality will be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJI8tNG1rbQ

Augmented Reality should be virtual reality abstracted over reality. Here is a proof of concept being worked on from several years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jpWiTVR0GA

Again, we're just not there yet. VR is walking, AR is running. The things we need to solve for great VR will make for great AR; they're not solved yet. This is a very limited, specific use tease of AR, similar to CastAR. I think it's definitely worth pursuing, but it won't be what we want it to be for a very long time.

Yeah, Carmack in his last (I think) QuakeCon keynote said AR is going to be huge and multibillion dollar business and that Valve were leaning towards it, but then said "VR we can do now." and pushed them towards VR.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I can think of some kind of interesting but marginal uses for something like this. For instance you could have the HUD and gun model rendered in the AR glasses. Or in something like Dragon Age, you could have the strategic view appear on the table in front of you.

I dunno, it seems extremely limited if it has to also conform to what you have in your room.

Krejlooc

Banned
I understand its very different, basically what I mean is, you can port a game or make a game compatible with VR, but it takes some work. AR would be completely different in the sense that you aren't even making things on a screen.

AR is VR abstracted over reality. The same principles you use to make compelling VR, you would use to make compelling AR.

You still have a screen in AR, it's a thin abstraction layer between your eye and reality.

Top Bottom