• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft reveals Augmented Reality kit, presumably for Xbox One

Krejlooc

Banned
Sadly stuff like this just makes you realize how far off good implementation really is.

For what it's doing right now, it looks awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be doing a ton of environment mapping, just rudimentary stuff.

But as a floating projecting screen - essentially holograms - this is a cool first step.

Can this and an Oculus style VR coexist?

They are different sides of the same coin, eventually they will converge into one product in the future.

ZeroGravity

For what it's doing right now, it looks awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be doing a ton of environment mapping, just rudimentary stuff.

But as a floating projecting screen - essentially holograms - this is a cool first step.
It really doesn't look awesome, at all. It's still primitive and not want people want and/or need.

Xone9

Banned
That headset is pretty slick looking... nicely done on the design.. and it houses a complete PC and GPU.... slick.

Krejlooc

Banned
It really doesn't look awesome, at all. It's still primitive and not want people want and/or need.

Floating, perspective corrected 3D objects abstracted into reality isn't what people want? Considering the billions of people who will stare at essentially a picture frame across the room, I'd say that doesn't sound very founded.

In home theater alone this would be desirable - the ability to create 100" floating screens that follow you if you'd like.

sunofsam

Oh thats right - you go immediatly to Rev 15 of a product.

Why the fuck did they waste all their time on prop planes when they could have just built jet fighters.

spekkeh

Banned
Seems like the sentence is pretty self-explanatory. What do you need help understanding?

abstract over doesn't make sense to me. You abstract from. Unless you mean it in the programming language sense of parametrizing but then I still don't think it makes much sense. AR is superimposing a VR layer on top of the world. Given that MS wants you to be able to interact with it, Mixed Reality is probably the better term.

Krejlooc

Banned
abstract over doesn't make sense to me. You abstract from. Unless you mean it in the programming language sense of parametrizing but then I still don't think it makes much sense. AR is superimposing a VR layer on top of the world. Given that MS wants you to be able to interact with it, Mixed Reality is probably the better term.

"abstract over" means the exact same thing as "superimpose."

Occam

There's a powered on Xbox One under the TV with a glowing light and the original leak for this was part of the Xbox One's leaked roadmap.

How embarrassing, I was looking at the image on my tablet with the brightness turned down and didn't see it. There's a controller next to it, too.

Ferrio

Banned
One of the biggest problems I have with AR is you have to have a good well lit space to actually use the stuff in.

Alx

Definitely cool. Really excited to get my hands on that. The device itself is a bit bulky, but that's expected. Tracking isn't perfect of course (but it never is) and I noticed everybody was cautious to move slowly, even in th concept video. But the whole thing is completely functional. I'm impressed, MS.
Videoconference with Kinect-scanned people will be impressive.

One of the biggest problems I have with AR is you have to have a good well lit space to actually use the stuff in.

If they used IR cameras with integrated lighting, or Kinect-like sensors, you shouldn't need a well lit space.

Anyone who remembers the original Kinect demo will immediately see this as bullshit.
I would probably agree except people have already gone hands on with the device and it sounds great.

Another scenario lands me on a virtual Mars-scape. Kipman developed it in close collaboration with NASA rocket scientist Jeff Norris, who spent much of the first half of 2014 flying back and forth between Seattle and his Southern California home to help develop the scenario. With a quick upward gesture, I toggle from computer screens that monitor the Curiosity rover’s progress across the planet’s surface to the virtual experience of being on the planet. The ground is a parched, dusty sandstone, and so realistic that as I take a step, my legs begin to quiver. They don’t trust what my eyes are showing them. Behind me, the rover towers seven feet tall, its metal arm reaching out from its body like a tentacle. The sun shines brightly over the rover, creating short black shadows on the ground beneath its legs.

Norris joins me virtually, appearing as a three-dimensional human-shaped golden orb in the Mars-scape. (In reality, he’s in the room next door.) A dotted line extends from his eyes toward what he is looking at. “Check that out,” he says, and I squat down to see a rock shard up close. With an upward right-hand gesture, I bring up a series of controls. I choose the middle of three options, which drops a flag there, theoretically a signal to the rover to collect sediment.

After exploring Mars, I don’t want to remove the headset, which has provided a glimpse of a combination of computing tools that make the unimaginable feel real.
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/microsoft-hands-on/

Live Demo screencaps

microsoft-windows-10-live-verge-_1560.jpg

What Others See:

What the user sees:

sinnergy

Floating, perspective corrected 3D objects abstracted into reality isn't what people want? Considering the billions of people who will stare at essentially a picture frame across the room, I'd say that doesn't sound very founded.

In home theater alone this would be desirable - the ability to create 100" floating screens that follow you if you'd like.

Just let them ;) if they can't imagine how this will work, it's fine, just let them. this is the first step to Star Trek HOLOGRAMS, and MS is in front.

dsk1210

I can see it working fantastic for music production software, huge sequencer over to the left, synthesiser/ drum machines and samplers over on the right, drag and drop.

I hate trying to find screen real estate, or the window manoeuvres that are fully needed for optimal creativity.

Sounds cool.

spared

I don't think many people really understand what Augmented reality will ultimately be - it is the future, but it's also a good 20 years away from being what we want it to be. Eventually, Augmented Reality will be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJI8tNG1rbQ

Augmented Reality should be virtual reality abstracted over reality. Here is a proof of concept being worked on from several years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jpWiTVR0GA

Again, we're just not there yet. VR is walking, AR is running. The things we need to solve for great VR will make for great AR; they're not solved yet. This is a very limited, specific use tease of AR, similar to CastAR. I think it's definitely worth pursuing, but it won't be what we want it to be for a very long time.

+1 to you, Krej! Finally someone who knows what he's talking about. Why so much hate about AR? I really liked what the 3DS introduced. Very interesting tech when it's taken to the next level. Having Bowser coming out of my coffee table the first time was priceless.

Dehnus

Watching the sales pitch for this in the stream is just painful. So many meaningless buzzwords and conceptual nonsense with literally zero technical explanation. Apparently this shut runs on magic because it's "beyond GPUs and CPUs in order to render Holograms." The call it the "HPU." Riiiight. I wish everyone could see how hard I am rolling my eyes right now. Oh Microsoft. I'll believe it when I see it but I'm not holding my breath.

Of course it is a buzzword but SIIIIGH! You do know there are more kinds of computing than just the stuff we use in Daily life right?

Yes HPU is a buzzword, but basically they mean a real time proof processing unit. This doesn't mean it is done right away, but that you can predict when the processing of the information from the sensors is ready.

No, that doesn't mean that "the more parallel the better", it means that it is okay if it takes 15 minutes for some things... as long as it EXACTLY takes 15 minutes (no more no less, as little jitter as possible) so you can use it at that time. So yes of course HPU is a buzzword, but there is more than just your PS4/PC in the world. And I think especially the medical industry will be really interested in this thing.

Krejlooc

Banned
But in the mean time will there be enough market to support both, or does one have to fail for the other to succeed?

I think they'll both evolve alongside each other. I can see VR being more immediately ready for prime time, however, given that AR does more in general.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/10844/microsoft-reveals-augmented-reality-hmd-suggests-xbox-one-support/

3NcPUPU.png

Not really a lot of new information for those who have been following this - this is Fortaleza - but the image is new.

It's not technically an 'Augmented Reality Kit', it's a "Holographic Computer".

I'm not sure how much application this has for X1, but the glasses have an entire computer built within, what sounds like positional (surround sound?) audio, and includes what I assume is some advanced Kinect technology, that tracks your hands when you look at them, so you can interact with the scenery.

For example, it seems to uses a completely Holographic OS, and you can build and walk around objects in complete 3D.

This seems similar to VR, but honestly, I think this is actually pretty exciting tech. Possible the first exciting example of AR I've seen. I wonder how powerful the built-in PC is though, and how much this will cost?

sinnergy

Well, I don't know about in front. Google has shipped thousands of glass kits already, and CastAR is ready to ship.

This hasn't been done before as far as I am aware, they are in the front and everything without wires, it seems.

GLASS is s small rectangle in the corner of your eye. (1 eye) this is augmenting your / our reality.

Top Bottom