• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

kadotsu

Banned
It may sound stupid but I feel that Gears is an "earned exclusive" for MS. They helped to build the brand and it is part of the XBOX DNA. I'm kind of sad that Black Tusk isn't developing a new IP though and the chances of them becoming a Gears exclusive studio could be very high.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This actually could be a really smart deal.

The IP seems to have pretty substantial commercial pull and the game mechanic is fairly cookie cutter so that even a mid weight studio could execute an authentic experience, provided they have a grip of required production values for those Gears of War trademark set pieces - which the E3 demo would indicate to be the case.

This would be cheaper than getting Epic on the job, and might even open the possibility of them building a new exclusive to broaden the portfolio. Cliffy pls

Ugh. Don't really mind that they bought the franchise but I feel like this just sets up Microsoft to further milk yet another franchise instead of coming up with new ones. Turn 10 for Forza, 343 for Halo, Lionhead for Fable and now Black Tusk for Gears. All that's left in their first party lineup is Lionhead's second game and whatever the hell Rare's working on.

Very fitting that this came the day after the Royal Rumble though. Looking at their lineups, it doesn't seem like either company has changed all that much since 2007.

Sdoots

I was just thinking about how this series could have been left alone just fine earlier this morning if they just stopped after 3, and here is this news. I adored this series, but now? Not sure anymore.

As for Ferguson, I have nothing but respect for the guy. he has certainly made career moves that surprised me before, and they all ended up working out wonderfully for him. I'm somewhat sad that nothing ever came from him leading his own studio, though.

tbm24

New Gears would make me buy an X1 sooner than I thought I would. Gears 1 and 2 were the best co-op experiences for me. Would love to experience that again but with crazier visuals and one liners and weapons.

So a lot mote Gears milking incoming. Disappointing, but not unexpected

So what's going ti happen to Black Tusks new IP?

Apparently there's no new IP. That was just a concept... Not a real game.
Black Tusk is working on Gears.

This is a bad idea. Gears is loosing steam. I think people would be a lot more excited for a new IP for XBone.

I dunno, feels a lot like halo 4 and 343 to me. Microsoft dragging a series that's pretty well finished through lifeless iterations that have no real reason to exist except that some executive thinks the "brand" is too valuable to put on hiatus for a few years and try something new.

And that's the real thing most people want, is just for the series to take a break for 3-4 years and come back to it when it makes sense, not pull some gears factory to make the games just because its a recognized brand.

DirtyLarry

Someone asked earlier in the thread and for whatever reason it was not answered, but I also ask it with all sincerity as well...

Who is Black Tusk and why is this big news?

FiggyCal

Banned
Why is this big news? The other 4 games in the series have all been on Xbox. It's like if Sony announced the next Ratchet and Clank is exclusive to playstation... no shit...

Oh shit, i know a lot of people who have waited to get an Xbox One for this.
Hopefully a new engine will make Gears of war fresh again.

Why ?

If Epic were not making another game, and they farmed out the last iteration, then the IP is just sitting there not making any money for EPIC.

I would not be surprised if they got it cheap

It's a billion dollar grossing franchise according to Microsoft's press release. Even if Epic isn't making another installment now, they recognized the future sales potential of the brand and they recognized that Microsoft would probably really, really like to own the IP. I'd assume it went for a pretty decent price.

Why is this big news? The other 4 games in the series have all been on Xbox. It's like if Sony announced the next Ratchet and Clank is exclusive to playstation... no shit...

Because MS isn't just announcing they are making another Gears game. They are announcing they fucking OWN Gears. No more having to make deals with Epic to keep the franchise exclusive. And no more Epic working on the series is pretty interesting news.

Jack cw

I dunno, feels a lot like halo 4 and 343 to me. Microsoft dragging a series that's pretty well finished through lifeless iterations that have no real reason to exist except that some executive thinks the "brand" is too valuable to put on hiatus for a few years and try something new.

New IPs are always a risk especially if you havent got the first party devs to really pull off somehting big. Even if Halo and Gears doesnt sell as much as expected its a solid effort as you can count easily a few million sold copies in, which isnt so bad actually.

Except Gears could have come to Playstation if Epic kept the rights and wanted it to. R&C is Sony's IP and they'd have to cease existing for it to appear on other consoles. Big difference.

Ugh. Don't really mind that they bought the franchise but I feel like this just sets up Microsoft to further milk yet another franchise instead of coming up with new ones. Turn 10 for Forza, 343 for Halo, Lionhead for Fable and now Black Tusk for Gears. All that's left in their first party lineup is Lionhead's second game and whatever the hell Rare's working on.

Lionhead are working on Anniversary (out in a week), Legends and a game not in the Fable IP, so presumably something new.

Microsoft have Press Play and Twisted Pixel making new IPs
Remedy - Quantum Break (Microsoft owned IP)
Insomniac - Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac own that)
Rare are finishing Kinect Sports Rivals then going back to being a multi project studio working on I assume KS/older IPs
D4 coming from Swery
Ruffian are making a game for them I believe
Project Spark in Beta on Xbox One soon as well

Plus other stuff we don't know about

It's big news because Epic owned the rights and could have gone multiplatform with a sequel. Now it's locked in forever for MS.

Someone asked earlier in the thread and for whatever reason it was not answered, but I also ask it with all sincerity as well...

Black Tusk is formerly known as Microsoft Vancouver, formed in 2012 and is made up of industry veterans that were working on a new IP but is now on Gears of War.

If Sony keeps pumping out Uncharted, it only makes sense that MS will keep pumping out Gears of War. Interested, though they're going to have to really open up the design since it felt like they ran out of things to do with it by Judgment just like UC felt done by 3.

Judgement and Ascension sold equally poorly both were released at the end of the respective cycles and could not introduce any new mechanics to the franchise

Gears X will sell a lot of Xbones but I think it wont be ready till next year

MSoft will have one more new franchise for their console, so that every dev team gets atleast 2 years to make a game/sequel/stopover game

The way I look at it now, its going to be

Halo 5 (2014)
Gears X (2015)
New IP, Halo Cannon (2016)
Gears X1 (2017)
Halo 6, New IP Sequel (2018)
Gear Cannon (2019)

So the Gears/Halo/Forza cycle continues. MS doesn't gave the third party advantage anymore, their weak first party isn't going to cut it

Lionhead are working on Anniversary (out in a week), Legends and a game not in the Fable IP, so presumably something new.

Microsoft have Press Play and Twisted Pixel making new IPs
Remedy - Quantum Break (Microsoft owned IP)
Insomniac - Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac own that)
Rare are finishing Kinect Sports Rivals then going back to being a multi project studio working on I assume KS/older IPs
D4 coming from Swery
Ruffian are making a game for them I believe
Project Spark in Beta on Xbox One soon as well

Plus other stuff we don't know about

Rare has been dead for a long time and Insomniac hasn't exactly been good since ACiT. I'm pretty sure press Play and Twisted pixel are small studio. Your post really does illustrate just how limited ms' first party is. Really makes me wonder what they're going to do going forward

If Sony keeps pumping out Uncharted, it only makes sense that MS will keep pumping out Gears of War. Interested, though they're going to have to really open up the design since it felt like they ran out of things to do with it by Judgment just like UC felt done by 3.

Except Sony doesn't just pump out Uncharteds and GTs. They actually put out a lot of different exclusives throughout the year

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can't blame Rod Fergusson for bailing on 2K after they took their new IP and gave them Mafia instead. At least he knows what he's getting with Microsoft.

As for Epic, I think it's pretty clear they're done with games that aren't ongoing online services in the vein of what Tencent publishes, which is why we saw departures of key Gears of War staff about a year or so ago.

Black Tusk has been hyped as the cream of the crop of MS's new internal studios. Several MS internal studios like Big Park and Victoria have pretty much been consolidated and absorbed into Black Tusk, and they're still recruiting highly experienced AAA-devs from all over the marketplace.

It's big news because Black Tusk has been hyped to be developing a 'next big IP equivalent to Halo', but now it's revealed that's a bunch of bollocks and they're now going to be nothing more than a Gears franchise farm.

MrMephistoX

Does anybody really care about Gears of War any more? Shouldn't they be putting this series to bed in favor of something new and exciting? What's the point?

Why would that be nice?

Eh I don't mind this model, Epic the innovators made a profit and are free to work on new IP. Kinda like when Naughty Dog sold Crash Bandicoot to Vivendi.

With Microsoft taking over and due to the Xbox Ones issues I think we can easily say bye to split screen on future installments and that was the only reason I liked Gears.

MCD

What's most interesting is how Epic are pretty much outta the console gaming scene. Mobile and Engines only LMAO.

CoG

Another series that has run its course. They really need to seed new IP not rehashes. Oh well, the dudebros love it and that's who their console targets.

Banned
I was surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Is epic just developing their engine now and not developing any games?

Silky

Banned
Rod Ferguson is back to save this goddamn franchise, awwwwww yea

Shame that Black Tusk is working on this and not a new IP... :/

As for Epic, I think it's pretty clear they're done with games that aren't ongoing online services in the vein of what Tencent publishes, which is why we saw departures of key Gears of War staff about a year or so ago.

Shit is crazy. And now MS just needs to hire Cliffy B.

Camilos

Banned
Well I'm excited. Some of my favorite gaming moments this past generation involved getting together with friends and playing Gears. Sure, the last one sucked but one bad game does not a franchise make.

LowerLevel

Gears IP to include Bi-annual game, video series similar to Halo, possible outsourcing for mobile games and "Definitive Editions" and this doesn't really seem like too bad a purchase for MS. Gears with proper advertising is still a 1m+ seller...

Milennia

Can't blame Rod Fergusson for bailing on 2K after they took their new IP and gave them Mafia instead. At least he knows what he's getting with Microsoft.

Well, i guess its nice not having to hope epic revisits the franchise at some point now.

I wonder if this will be a sequel, although that seems like it would be forced, as opposed to a reboot or prequel (i really don't want a prequel).

FiggyCal

Banned
It's big news because Epic owned the rights and could have gone multiplatform with a sequel. Now it's locked in forever for MS.

So just like the other 4 games in the series. I just assumed that the gears series would be exclusive to Xbox, but I guess there was a chance it wouldn't. I'm not surprised by this.

As far as im concerned, Gears if done correctly is a bigger system seller than titanfall will ever be. Microsoft made a good call there. Its basically cementing the Xbox one as the home for shooters.

Top Bottom