• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This actually made me want to go back and play some Gears this evening :)

So, can we now assume that Halo and Gears will take alternate years?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
At least we know that MS never owned the IP until now. They kept saying that they did.

WTF is Epic doing these days now?

Grief.exe

Can't blame Rod Fergusson for bailing on 2K after they took their new IP and gave them Mafia instead. At least he knows what he's getting with Microsoft.

As for Epic, I think it's pretty clear they're done with games that aren't ongoing online services in the vein of what Tencent publishes, which is why we saw departures of key Gears of War staff about a year or so ago.

Assuredly, a higher paycheck.

Xenon

Yeeeeeeah, more fucking sinkholes! Bad movie MS Perfect Dark would have been a better choice for Black Tusk.

I can't help but be disappointed that Black Tusk won't be working on a new IP but I do love me some Gears.

Hopefully, Black Tusk will get a shot at creating a new IP soon, as in sometime this generation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why is this big news? The other 4 games in the series have all been on Xbox. It's like if Sony announced the next Ratchet and Clank is exclusive to playstation... no shit...

It's big news because the rumors were Gears was coming to PlayStation and that could have easily happened had this deal not gone down. That would be a huge exclusive lost for MS. Not hard to see...

highrider

Banned
It's a good thing provided they inject some new life in to it. I was disappointed with judgement and gears 3 but I'll keep an open mind.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can't blame Rod Fergusson for bailing on 2K after they took their new IP and gave them Mafia instead. At least he knows what he's getting with Microsoft.

As for Epic, I think it's pretty clear they're done with games that aren't ongoing online services in the vein of what Tencent publishes, which is why we saw departures of key Gears of War staff about a year or so ago.

It's depressing watching id and epic just fade away into tech/support companies

Gears of War was looking like a big return to games for epic and instead they just mess it all up :(

I want epic megagames back

Hasn't the Gears of War story pretty much run its course at this point, where's there to go with it that could generate another 3 to 4 games worth of content to make this deal worthwhile?

MS needs exciting new IP, not creating studios like 343 and Black Tusk just to put out increasingly stale entries in existing franchises. At least Halo was on top before 343 took over, GOW needs a lot of rebuilding work at this point.

Silky

Banned
This makes me worried about People Can Fly. :(

They can go make the rest of Fortnite and when they';re done BULLETSTORM 2 #Believe

--

Look I'm hype. Black Tusk, led by the Gears Viking will be fucking beautifull. I'm ready for next-gen shotgun tangos, YOLO grenades and another re-imagining of Gridlock.

This is my favorite franchise. Gears 3 was a nearly perfect game and the MP pretty much was perfect.

Pendulum Wars Gears is what I'm hoping for!

It's depressing watching id and epic just fade away into tech/support companies

Gears of War was looking like a big return to games for epic and instead they just mess it all up :(

I want epic megagames back

Epic is working on several games. But you might not be happy with them, since they will be Tencent games.

It was very clearly a thing - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98642603&postcount=52

What kills me is that he says he has good news about a new title they are announcing and I can't be any less excited. Did they think the consumers were clamoring for another gears?

Marleyman

Banned
I'm a huge Gears fan and its my favourite TPS and I was pretty underwhelmed by Gears 3 thats why I didnt gave Judgement the chance it deserved and I guess I wasnt the only one. As nice as this deal is for Microsoft the franchise itself needs to arrive to next gen with something new than blown up set pieces. The multiplayer needs to be improved as well as it was pretty much broken. I have faith in Black Tusk but its a difficult task.

I loved GOW3; the MP hit the sweet spot for me. That is the draw to this franchise at this point, for me at least.

Another series that has run its course. They really need to seed new IP not rehashes. Oh well, the dudebros love it and that's who their console targets.

Did you hear that guys, if you have an xbox one and like gears if war, you are a dudebro. Thanks, at least I know now.

Alx

I suppose that's big. I haven't touched a GeoW game since the first one, though, but good for the fans.
It's hard to get exactly the MS strategy, though, for years both them and their partners claimed that it was a good thing that their deals did leave the IP ownership to the studio, but if they end up buying the rights, what's the difference ?

I think it's good Gears has a home to stay in but I smell this series being milked to the point the cows going to start giving out dust. Halo is a perfect example.

This tactic MS has of buying the IP and creating their own studio to continue to work on the game once the original creatives tire out of it is so fascinating. It was a mixed result with 343 but this is really exciting. That concept trailer they showed was so uninspired

MadLukas

Banned
Why is this big news? The other 4 games in the series have all been on Xbox. It's like if Sony announced the next Ratchet and Clank is exclusive to playstation... no shit...

Actually a good unintended example. Insominac isnt a first party developer, rather a indepent one who happen to develop the Ratchet and Clank Series exclusively for Playstation.

Epic did the same for the Xbox 360. Both could have published their future games for the other plattform, if it werent for deals. The IP belonged in both Cases to the Developer.

That is now not the case for Gears of War and Epic anymore. Future Ratchet and Clank Games can still come to Xbox One.

Wow, awesome!!! Smart move on Microsoft to consolidate it's main brands! The real question now is how big Black Tusk actually is? Do we have a studio headcount? 343 Industries is huge and working on multiple projects so could Black Tusk be working on more than one thing as well?

rdrr gnr

If that new IP is really dead then this is terrible news, but not totally unexpected given Microsoft's philosophy on games.

Slixshot

Banned
Today we're excited to announce that Microsoft Studios has acquired the rights to the “Gears of War” franchise from Epic Games, including rights to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise. In addition, we are excited to announce that Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver, BC will take over development of the “Gears of War” franchise and that Rod Fergusson, former Director of Production at Epic Games on the “Gears of War” franchise, will join Microsoft and play a key studio leadership role at Black Tusk on the development of the franchise going forward. We had a chance to chat with Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios, Hanno Lemke, General Manager of Black Tusk Studios at Microsoft Studios, and Rod Fergusson about the big news.

BooThisMan.gif

They seriously couldn't come up with a new IP that could incorporate a great story and feature a robust multiplayer suite?

Tobor

What kills me is that he says he has good news about a new title they are announcing and I can't be any less excited. Did they think the consumers were clamoring for another gears?

Going by this thread, the Microsoft faithful seem to approve. That series has always gone over like a wet fart for me, so I'm with you.

It's too bad, a new IP might have been interesting.

Lionhead are working on Anniversary (out in a week), Legends and a game not in the Fable IP, so presumably something new.

Microsoft have Press Play and Twisted Pixel making new IPs
Remedy - Quantum Break (Microsoft owned IP)
Insomniac - Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac own that)
Rare are finishing Kinect Sports Rivals then going back to being a multi project studio working on I assume KS/older IPs
D4 coming from Swery
Ruffian are making a game for them I believe
Project Spark in Beta on Xbox One soon as well

Plus other stuff we don't know about

That's honestly a pretty dire list. I mean, there's a couple of interesting new games in there but as a whole, not really something to get excited about.

Eh I don't mind this model, Epic the innovators made a profit and are free to work on new IP. Kinda like when Naughty Dog sold Crash Bandicoot to Vivendi.

Why do people keep spreading this BS? Naughty Dog didn't own shit, Universal/Vivendi owned Crash Bandicoot from the very beginning. Same thing goes with Spyro.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think it's good Gears has a home to stay in but I smell this series being milked to the point the cows going to start giving out dust. Halo is a perfect example.

Well... There is hope

Who says they have to use current gears universe...

Make it a template, make something interesting out of it. As awesome as gears was, the locust shit was overdone .

Top Bottom