• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise/Black Tusk does the work

Patryn

Actually a good unintended example. Insominac isnt a first party developer, rather a indepent one who happen to develop the Ratchet and Clank Series exclusively for Playstation.

Epic did the same for the Xbox 360. Both could have published their future games for the other plattform, if it werent for deals. The IP belonged in both Cases to the Developer.

That is now not the case for Gears of War and Epic anymore. Future Ratchet and Clank Games can still come to Xbox One.

R&C IP is owned by Sony. It's not the same.

That is now not the case for Gears of War and Epic anymore. Future Ratchet and Clank Games can still come to Xbox One.

Ratchet & Clank belongs to Sony.

Post-Crash Bandicoot, Sony owns every IP that it 100% funds/publishes. (with the exception of PubFund games)

So, The Order :1886, Rime, Resogun, etc... all that belongs to Sony.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm going to assume Fortnight is dead and Epic is pretty much a middleware vendor now.

Good thing you care so much.

I do care because I thought MS would actually better their first party. So far it seems they'd rather focus on the usual stuff again, just like last gen. The last three years of the 360 were barren, barely worth talking about, and going forward it seems the X1 will have a similar first part output without any of the 360's advatages

It's especially disappoint because Black Tusk seemed like it had potential with MS saying it'd be their next huge IP. Now it turns out that was BS, much like everything else MS says, and they're just going to be a Gears factory lime 343 and Halo

Duxxy3

As far as im concerned, Gears if done correctly is a bigger system seller than titanfall will ever be. Microsoft made a good call there. Its basically cementing the Xbox one as the home for shooters.

Titanfall is still an unknown quantity, and it's not exclusive.

Gears is a known quantity, with a known fanbase that will be there if the game is good. This announcement basically puts a "buy" date for me on an xbox one. By the time it comes out in 2016 the system will probably be close to $300, hopefully without kinect, and it should have a good lineup of exclusives. Halo, Quantum Break, and hopefully a Forza that actually looks decent.

Actually a good unintended example. Insominac isnt a first party developer, rather a indepent one who happen to develop the Ratchet and Clank Series exclusively for Playstation.

Epic did the same for the Xbox 360. Both could have published their future games for the other plattform, if it werent for deals. The IP belonged in both Cases to the Developer.

I believe (or know) Sony owns the R&C IP.

Edit: Beaten handily.

Elios83

I think it's a good move to strengthen and focus the output of the their first party studios around a few key titles: Halo, Forza, Gears.
At the same time it will be interesting to see how they plan to reinvent a series which clearly can't say much more with the old classic formula.
But Epic is the biggest mistery out of this....what are they planning to do?
Unreal Engine 4 clearly won't be the same success story that UE3 was for them...actually it's legit to ask if the engine will be a success at all with everyone developing games with their own engines....
At the same time it's like they're jumping out of console development....someone should make an interview with Epic :D

MadLukas

Banned
Did you hear that guys, if you have an xbox one and like gears if war, you are a dudebro. Thanks, at least I know now.

You are also only allowed to enjoy the Xbox One if you are from merica, where all uncultured, racists, 12 year old dudebros live.

GulAtiCa

Not surprised.

Though, where can the Gears franchise go now? Story wise that is. The 3rd game ended the series, right?

Well, either case, will be looking forward to the next Gears game.

hohoXD123

Na, Sony owns Ratchet and Clank.

Except Sony doesn't just pump out Uncharteds and GTs. They actually put out a lot of different exclusives throughout the year
And? What does this have to do with what I said? All of the platform holders release a lot of stuff, especially in the first part of the generation. Sony may be more consistent, but MS has as long a history of publishing exclusives as they've been involved as a console maker. Big deal. I was talking about the third person cover shooter genre with my post.

Wereroku

Titanfall is still an unknown quantity, and it's not exclusive.

Gears is a known quantity, with a known fanbase that will be there if the game is good. This announcement basically puts a "buy" date for me on an xbox one. By the time it comes out in 2016 the system will probably be close to $300, hopefully without kinect, and it should have a good lineup of exclusives. Halo, Quantum Break, and hopefully a Forza that actually looks decent.

Didn't judgement bomb real hard though? The name didn't help it that much. I wish Blacktusk could have done their own thing instead of a new Gears.

Funny how you're 100% wrong in yet another thread. For the R&C series to come to Xbone, Sony would have to go third party. They own almost every game they've published (Heavy Rain is the only recent exception).

Leotarius

Gears is going to have to reinvent itself somewhat if they want to give it those kind of legs.

Microsoft is betting big that it can make (read: buy and nurture) franchises that can last for more than a decade. They want to build a Nintendo-like stable, and I can't blame em for it.

FiggyCal

Banned

Wtf? Unintended. Give me some credit; it was very intended. And as it turns out... Sony actually does own the rights to Ratchet and Clank.

At least we know that MS never owned the IP until now. They kept saying that they did.

WTF is Epic doing these days now?

Epic's primary business is development, licensing, and support of the UE3 and UE4 engines. Games are secondary for Epic, we'll probably only see games from them once in a while, as technology showcases.

I don't know why everyone is assuming Black Tusk Studios is no longer working on the new IP shown at E3 last year. They have more then one team especially after Black Tusk absorbed the other Vancouver MS studio. No where in the press release did they say that they dropped everything else at Black Tusk for Gears of War. In fact, we know that they are working on at least two games at the studio and with Gears of War that would add a third.

Acheteedo

I'm a fan of the series... but I was really angling for a new IP from Black Tusk.

Not sure what to think. If the next Gears blows my socks off then fine, but it needs to be a major departure from the Gears formula.

-PXG-

Big Red and Black Tusk better not fuck this up. I would be heart broken. For the love of God don't fuck this up

don't know if this was already posted, but here's what TheOddOne posted about Black Tusk last November: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721340

I have no special info whatsoever. I just find things that are available on the internet.

This is the most I could find out timeline wise* (with some speculation):

• MS Vancouver has been around in some form since 2008 (it was once named Zipline Studios);
  • There were multiple smaller teams within the studio, working on a casual MMO, a Kinect kids game, facebook/iOS games and some other small scale games (that were cancelled);
  • The Black Tusk team was active too within the studio at the time;
  • I think right after Disney Adventure came out, MS cancelled the Kinect kids game and every other casual type game that was being developed there.
  • They layed off most of the staff that worked on the kids kinect game or some of them moved onto other projects (most left for iOS/facebook type companies though, like GREE). None of the Black Tusk folk left;
  • They rebranded and became Black Tusk Studios. On this podcast Studio Manager Mike Crump talks about the new studio. At that time he said that 50 people were there, focused on one game and hopes to double the studio in a year;
  • Ever wonderful superannuation gave away that Black Tusk is working on big new IP space shooter thing on the scale of a Gears or Halo. Lead designer of Crysis 2 is working on it.
  • At this point they are on a hiring spree. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11;
  • CBoat said that Black Tusk project is running 6 months behind, so my guess is it will not hit next year.
That is about it, I think.

amardilo

I think I am a little disappointed that a new first party studio is working on Gears and not a new IP. I kind of feel my interest in the Gears IP ended after Gears of War 3. But then again the gameplay is good and fun and I imagine I'm in the minority of not wanting a new Gears game (and wanting something new).

At least we know that MS never owned the IP until now. They kept saying that they did.

I don't remember MS ever saying they owned the Gears IP. Although both MS and Epic never made it clear who owned what and what the deal was.

WTF is Epic doing these days now?

Maybe they are still working on Fortnite.

prwxv3

I am fine with them making another gears. I am not fine with teasing us with a amazing new IP only to blindside us with gears instead.

Drek

Black Tusk has been hyped as the cream of the crop of MS's new internal studios. Several MS internal studios like Big Park and Victoria have pretty much been consolidated and absorbed into Black Tusk, and they're still recruiting highly experienced AAA-devs from all over the marketplace.

It's big news because Black Tusk has been hyped to be developing a 'next big IP equivalent to Halo', but now it's revealed that's a bunch of bollocks and they're now going to be nothing more than a Gears franchise farm.

They dumped a lot of talent from Big Park/Victoria form what I understand, and much of the current staff was lifted from EA Vancouver if newspaper articles and the like are to be believed.

The suggestion that it was this big AAA studio without having released anything really goes out the window now when they just put Rod Fergusson in charge too. If they had elite pedigree people at the top they wouldn't have just replaced them with Fergusson.

Basically, everything we've been told about Black Tusk up to this point has been a lie and it's a studio MS is still trying to even get off the ground, not this team of industry vets well into production. Their E3 video was vaporware, they just put a new person in charge of the studio (as I doubt Fergusson took a demotion to join MS), and they're effectively starting all their work over again from scratch with the Gears IP.

What's worse, the Gears IP really feels like it's run it's course without a massive change in direction and it's far too soon for a reboot starring the same cast. So Black Tusk is a nobody studio who from day one are being turned into an franchise churner, with someone else's franchise.

Over/under on Fergusson's tenure anyone? I'm betting 2.5 years. Just after MS rushes the first Black Tusk Gears out the door for Christmas 2016.

I do care because I thought MS would actually better their first party. So far it seems they'd rather focus on the usual stuff again, just like last gen. The last three years of the 360 were barren, barely worth talking about, and going forward it seems the X1 will have a similar first part output without any of the 360's advatages

It's especially disappoint because Black Tusk seemed like it had potential with MS saying it'd be their next huge IP. Now it turns out that was BS, much like everything else MS says, and they're just going to be a Gears factory lime 343 and Halo
MS isnt the only company so think what you want. But I have tissue if you need it.

Patryn

What also sucks is that Impossible Games was closed just a year after it was opened...

The schizophrenic nature of that acquisition and closure makes a lot more sense now. Clearly the priorities of Epic shifted in that short period, and the two sides realized that the relationship was no longer going to work out.

You are also only allowed to enjoy the Xbox One if you are from merica, where all uncultured, racists, 12 year old dudebros live.
Don't do that. It makes you look bitter, and you have nothing to be bitter about. No one calls out XBL for that anymore; just self-depricating Xbox owners.

Duxxy3

Didn't judgement bomb real hard though? The name didn't help it that much. I wish Blacktusk could have done their own thing instead of a new Gears.

That's why it still needs to be a good game. If there are two stinkers in a row, the series is toast. Same deal with Halo (though I don't think Halo 4 was a bad game).

hohoXD123

I don't know why everyone is assuming Black Tusk Studios is no longer working on the new IP shown at E3 last year. They have more then one team especially after Black Tusk absorbed the other Vancouver MS studio. No where in the press release did they say that they dropped everything else at Black Tusk for Gears of War. In fact, we know that they are working on at least two games at the studio and with Gears of War that would add a third.

Well it's not an assumption
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98642603#post98642603

Top Bottom