• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Chris1

Really wish people from these companies wouldn't say these kind of things, unless something changed....

https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/892894831982149632

Mike Ybarra :

Played an awesome round of PUBG today. Love this game. So glad it's an Xbox exclusive - can't wait to play it on X, S, and PC. #PUBG

------

Because if nothing changed and this exclusive means only for the Game Preview thing. Nah man.
if it was true exclusive they would be shouting it from the rooftops though

I think it's more of a "we brought the game first to xbox, ps4 might come later but we're focused on xbox right now" type of thing and not necessarily tied to game preview

EvB

Really wish people from these companies wouldn't say these kind of things, unless something changed....

Mike Ybarra :

Played an awesome round of PUBG today. Love this game. So glad it’s an Xbox exclusive - can’t wait to play it on X, S, and PC. #PUBG

------

Because if nothing changed and this exclusive means only for the Game Preview thing. Nah man.

That is pretty cringe.

They should ban him and Aaron Greenberg

Mike Ybarra :

Played an awesome round of PUBG today. Love this game. So glad it’s an Xbox exclusive - can’t wait to play it on X, S, and PC. #PUBG

------

Will be great if this turns out to be another play anywhere title.

Mike Ybarra :

------

Seriously doubt anything has changed. He is just trying to mislead people.

BruceCLea

Banned
Anything I am missing in the lineup of exclusives(launch or otherwise) to look forward to

Cuphead- September
Forza 7- September
Crackdown 3- November
Super Lucky's Tale- November
PUBG- 2017
Sea of Thieves- early 2018
State of Decay 2- early 2018
Black Desert-2018
Ashen-2018
Ori 2- 2018
That's seriously fucking pathetic.

Vinc

If anything, for me it just goes to show that being market leader might be more important to MS than any other console maker. Not business-wise, of course, they all need it, but in terms of making a compelling console. They're just far less prepared and equipped to make a compelling system on their own than the others. The Wii U ended up being a far better investment for me as a multiconsole owner... That is saying something...

That said, I used to be a huge Halo fan and I continue to hope they can blow me away again with the franchise.

cantona222

As an XBOX1 & PS4 owner (I buy multiplatform games on XBOX1), I am disappointed about how little exclusives are coming in the future to XBOX1. Heck, many 3rd party games are being exclusive to PS4 such as:
- Bloodbourne
- Nier: Automata
- Hellblade
- No Man's Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Ni No Kuni 2
- All Kingdom Hearts

No significant 3rd party exclusive is coming to the XBOX1 as far as I know

Theorry

As an XBOX1 & PS4 owner (I buy multiplatform games on XBOX1), I am disappointed about how little exclusives are coming in the future to XBOX1. Heck, many 3rd party games are being exclusive to PS4 such as:
- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Ace Combat 7
- All Kingdom Hearts

Ace Combat is not exclusive. It comes to PC and Xbox aswell.

- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Ace Combat 7
- All Kingdom Hearts

Bloodborne and Gravity Rush are first party.

gamz

- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Ace Combat 7
- All Kingdom Hearts

Not trying to be rude but is that list supposed to be good?

Widge

it's reached the point where MS need to show some major new IPs of a similar scale to The Last of Us, Bloodborne or Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'm not quite on board with this. I think it is this that is killing MS at the moment. The idea that every game has to be of the same tier of sales as their core trio. Where they are lacking is in the "ok" games tier which pad out a catalogue. It'd certainly relieve a lot of pressure and go towards good will. At the moment it looks like they are just canning everything that won't be a blockbuster.

It's what Sony did in the PS3 era. It took a looooooong time before they hit upon their unanimously well received titles, and there were a lot of middle ground titles in that time propping things up. If you owned the platform, you really appreciated these titles though. The amount of hours I put into Warhawk...

cireza

- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Ace Combat 7
- All Kingdom Hearts
Sony paid for exclusivity for SFV, Bloodborne and Gravity Rush are first party, Ace Combat is coming on Xbox, Kingdom Hearts 3 too.

Waiting for Recore Definitive Edition, loved the game, and I hope that they make a ton of improvements in the DE.

For you the only significant games are those that are exclusives, it seems. I play a ton of multiplat 3rd party games that are fantastic on my Xbox One. I don't need to have people playing another console devoid of the game to enjoy it or find it significant.

Widge

I don't own a PS4, but I'd be really interested in a lot of those. I've actually got NMS on PC just recently.

As a PC owner, the PS4 catalogue is at a place where I'd consider a late gen one of the OG models to play through all the unique titles. I mean Switch is higher up the pecking order atm, but, christ, there is nothing from MS. And I'm not surprised, they canned their development strategy halfway through the 360 cycle.

GHG

Sony paid for exclusivity for SFV, Bloodborne and Gravity Rush are first party, Ace Combat is coming on Xbox, Kingdom Heats 3 too.

Waiting for Recore Definitive Edition, loved the game, and I hope that they make a ton of improvements in the DE.

Is that still happening? Wasn't it supposed to be out already?

They need to put Recore on deep sale already. I want to try it out but no way at its current asking price.

It's his opinion man. And since you're asking, yes there are some enjoyable and critically aclaimed games on that list (even if the list probably shouldn't have been posted in the first place). The head in the sand attitude won't get Xbox better/more games.

gamz

They need to put Recore on deep sale already. I want to try it out but no way at its current asking price.

Isn't it releasing with the X? I thought I read that?

I'm not quite on board with this. I think it is this that is killing MS at the moment. The idea that every game has to be of the same tier of sales as their core trio. Where they are lacking is in the "ok" games tier which pad out a catalogue. It'd certainly relieve a lot of pressure and go towards good will. At the moment it looks like they are just canning everything that won't be a blockbuster.

It's what Sony did in the PS3 era. It took a looooooong time before they hit upon their unanimously well received titles, and there were a lot of middle ground titles in that time propping things up. If you owned the platform, you really appreciated these titles though. The amount of hours I put into Warhawk...
I don't think he was speaking in terms of sales. Bloodborne did not sell on par with Sony's biggest stuff. He just means a big new IP that can garner attention. Like Gears on X360.

I do agree that MS needs more "middle" type software too though.

cireza

I think that we have only seen a key visual for now. Waiting for this to happen :)

Love the art :
Recore-Definitive-Edition.png

Outrun

- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man's Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- All Kingdom Hearts

This is one of those lists...

Ace Combat 7 is coming to Xbox-One.

I am looking forward to that

- Bloodbourne
- Hellblade
- No Man's Sky
- SF5
- Persona 5
- Gravity Rush
- Ni No Kuni 2
- All Kingdom Hearts

Ace Combat and Kingdom Hearts are coming to XB1 bruh. Anyways this topic isn't for fanboy waving, we have other threads for that. This is about first party

JaggedSac

Everyone has different tastes, but that list to me is fantastic.

I would have grabbed No Man's Sky if it released for Bone, but the others, no interest. Not a Souls game fan and I'd rather punch myself in the face than play Persona games. Gravity Rush looks fun though.

peppers

Imagine discussing upcoming Xbox third party console exclusives such as Path of Exile, Super Lucky's Tale or PUBG on the PlayStation first party software thread.

Montresor

If I were Microsoft I would do the following:

Add a minimum of three new first-parties:

1) A new AAA first-party to make open-world RPGs. Either re-build Lionhead or make a new team, to make a Fable sequel and other original open-world RPG IPs.

2) A new smaller-scale first-party to make indie-style puzzle games, in the vein of Inside, The Witness.

3) A new AAA first-party to make linear, cinematic action games. Either partner up with Remedy again or make a new team to make Remedy-style games.

Change the focus of the current first-parties:

1) 343 should not make another Halo FPS this gen. They should work on a new IP and/or work on a Mass Effect styled Halo RPG.

2) The Coalition should not make another Gears TPS this gen. They should work on a new AAA action game.

3) Playground Studios should not make another Forza Horizon this gen. They should work on a new open world game.

4) Turn10 and Mojang can continue to work on their respective franchises (Forza Motorsport and Minecraft).

5) Rare should continue to make new IPs.

Create more interesting/unique partnerships with 3rd-parties to make compelling exclusives

And

Lastly, vastly improve the number of indies and third-parties that completely skip Xbox. Meaning, games like 999, Nier Automata, Crash Bandicoot, Pyre, The Talos Principle, etc... If eliminating the indie parity clause and the minimum disc print count can help even a little bit, they should do it.

cantona222

Ace Combat and Kingdom Hearts are coming to XB1 bruh. Anyways this topic isn't for fanboy waving, we have other threads for that. This is about first party
Sorry OP for posting something unrelated, The post I wrote came to mind after reading your original post, but obviously it is not really related.

Montresor

But I want a new Gears and Halo.

I love Gears and Halo - but I think it would help if those studios use their talents to create a new IP and then return to Gears and Halo.

We can have Gears 5 and Halo 6 - next gen.

That's my preference anyhow.

I think it popped up on the trophy list of the game on Xbox Live ? Not sure.

Wasted potential that game, it's a real shame. It's things like this that puts me off them these days. The Xbox brand has, for me, a lot of wasted potential not being realised but I can't do anything about it, wish I could ha ha.

blakep267

1) A new AAA first-party to make open-world RPGs. Either re-build Lionhead or make a new team, to make a Fable sequel and other original open-world RPG IPs.

2) A new smaller-scale first-party to make indie-style puzzle games, in the vein of Inside, The Witness.

3) A new AAA first-party to make linear, cinematic action games. Either partner up with Remedy again or make a new team to make Remedy-style games.

1) 343 should not make another Halo FPS this gen. They should work on a new IP and/or work on a Mass Effect styled Halo RPG.

2) The Coalition should not make another Gears TPS this gen. They should work on a new AAA action game.

3) Playground Studios should not make another Forza Horizon this gen. They should work on a new open world game.

4) Turn10 and Mojang can continue to work on their respective franchises (Forza Motorsport and Minecraft).

Create more interesting/unique partnerships with 3rd-parties to make compelling exclusives

And

Lastly, vastly improve the number of indies and third-parties that completely skip Xbox. Meaning, games like 999, Nier Automata, Crash Bandicoot, Pyre, The Talos Principle, etc... If eliminating the indie parity clause and the minimum disc print count can help even a little bit, they should do it.
You would be fired though. Forza Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million copies in 3 months. That was 8 months ago. Wouldn't suprise me if it sold more than 5 million copies. Of course you make a Forza Horizon 4. People clearly want it

Just because you particularly may not want more Halo, gears or Forza horizon doesn't mean others don't. They still sell well

- Compelling exclusives is subjective

-The indie situation has more to do with indie games budget and scope. Smaller games likely have to choose one console first before others. So it's always going to be PC PS4 for those games.

-Crash was likely an exclusive deal with Activision

- Japanese games are likely never gonna happen

Montresor

You would be fired though. Forza Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million copies in 3 months. That was 8 months ago. Wouldn't suprise me if it sold more than 5 million copies. Of course you make a Forza Horizon 4. People clearly want it

- Compelling exclusives is subjective

-The indie situation has more to do with indie games budget and scope. Smaller games likely have to choose one console first before others. So it's always going to be PC PS4 for those games.

-Crash was likely an exclusive deal with Activision

- Japanese games are likely never gonna happen

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I think Forza Horizon 3 is the best game of the gen, and Playground should DEFINITELY make a Forza Horizon 4.

I just mean, take a break, make a new IP, and then return to those franchises. Like Forza Horizon, Halo FPS, and Gears TPS.

blakep267

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I think Forza Horizon 3 is the best game of the gen, and Playground should DEFINITELY make a Forza Horizon 4.

I just mean, take a break, make a new IP, and then return to those franchises. Like Forza Horizon, Halo FPS, and Gears TPS.
You aren't giving a reason why aside from just you don't want it. If something is hot, you don't tuck it away for 5+ years.
New IP carry risks. Risks can get people fired and studios closed. Playground has found a hit in Forza Horizon. You don't go gambling that away. If you don't like those games fine, but don't try and present it as a smart move to not release a guaranteed money maker

RPGamer92

Banned

And

Agreed, also partner with Japanese studios.

FelipeMGM

If anything, for me it just goes to show that being market leader might be more important to MS than any other console maker. Not business-wise, of course, they all need it, but in terms of making a compelling console. They're just far less prepared and equipped to make a compelling system on their own than the others. The Wii U ended up being a far better investment for me as a multiconsole owner... That is saying something...

That said, I used to be a huge Halo fan and I continue to hope they can blow me away again with the franchise.

Maybe in the beginning of the gen, but in my vision they shifted their focus to not bother with that so much and double down on what works for them and on what their fanbase wants

They tried to establish a bunch of new franchises in the first half of the generation, on the more varied genres, both casual and hardcore stuff to appeal to many people as possible. Basically none of them worked (besides Ori) either critically or financially.

On the other hand, they see GaaS projects thrive on the platform, KI is a successeful first party venture within that model, third party games like Ark selling million copies in a month and new services like EA Access and BC working wonders for them.

The base spoke with their wallets on what kinds of games and support they want, so they will invest heavily on what works. I fully understand their approach, and in this way they are the most consumer friendly platform right now too.

This shows me that they are not that worried in being #1, but are focused on keeping their fanbase happy, enganged, and most importantly, spending money on the platform, which they are. Even the XB1X is a reflection of that IMO.

cmon, dont be that guy

m23

Wasted potential that game, it's a real shame. It's things like this that puts me off them these days. The Xbox brand has, for me, a lot of wasted potential not being realised but I can't do anything about it, wish I could ha ha.

Such a missed opportunity. The game could have been so much better with a little extra time. I enjoyed my time with it but it had some glaring issues.

sam12

Mike Ybarra :

------

Ughh, really dislike what he wrote, it's in same vein as Phil saying 40+ exclusives at E3. So ridiculous.

Didn't they also do something similar with Rise of the tomb raider, they were so vague about its exclusivity.
Seems the new in thing is to get a bunch of console exclusives and shout from the roof top about how an amazing exclusive it is, while at the same time hiding the fact that it's only a temporary exclusive

Top Bottom