• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

cireza

Wasted potential that game, it's a real shame. It's things like this that puts me off them these days. The Xbox brand has, for me, a lot of wasted potential not being realised but I can't do anything about it, wish I could ha ha.
I bought the game day one and loved it. The only real flaw was the loading times. This game has some fantastic gameplay elements. Combat and platforming is some of the best available, and the level-design of the dungeons really make the gameplay shine. There is room for improvement on many other aspects of the game...

Even if the game fails on some points, at least it tried doing interesting things, and I wish that we had a lot more games of this type.

By this type, I mean "mid-budget that tries things". Almost everything is either AAA or indy game, that's a real problem. We need a lot more mid-budget games for diversity.

Crimson Dragon was a mid-budget game, and it allowed us to have some "Panzer Dragoon like" game, which is always a good thing. I think that Ori falls into this category, and it is an awesome game. If mid-budget means that I can get a new Jet Set Radio, Outrun or Otogi (those are examples, not MS IPs I know), then please, make more mid-budget games.

Vinc

Maybe in the beginning of the gen, but in my vision they shifted their focus to not bother with that so much and double down on what works for them and on what their fanbase wants

They tried to establish a bunch of new franchises in the first half of the generation, on the more varied genres, both casual and hardcore stuff to appeal to many people as possible. Basically none of them worked (besides Ori) either critically or financially.

On the other hand, they see GaaS projects thrive on the platform, KI is a successeful first party venture within that model, third party games like Ark selling million copies in a month and new services like EA Access and BC working wonders for them.

The base spoke with their wallets on what kinds of games and support they want, so they will invest heavily on what works. I fully understand their approach, and in this way they are the most consumer friendly platform right now too.

This shows me that they are not that worried in being #1, but are focused on keeping their fanbase happy, enganged, and most importantly, spending money on the platform, which they are. Even the XB1X is a reflection of that IMO.

cmon, dont be that guy

From a business perspective, of course they're worried about being #1. They just are. Everyone wants the biggest share of the market. There is no possible business model that mitigates the advantage of being the market leader.

The concern, from a consumer perspective, is the quality and quantity of their offerings, not the business model. Both are lacking to a degree that's more than a little worrisome, in my view.

I bought the game day one and loved it. The only real flaw was the loading times. This game has some fantastic gameplay elements. Combat and platforming is some of the best available, and the level-design of the dungeons really make the gameplay shine. There is room for improvement on many other aspects of the game...

Even if the game fails on some points, at least it tried doing interesting things, and I wish that we had a lot more games of this type.

By this type, I mean "mid-budget that tries things". Almost everything is either AAA or indy game, that's a real problem. We need a lot more mid-budget games for diversity.

Crimson Dragon was a mid-budget game, and it allowed us to have some "Panzer Dragoon like" game, which is always a good thing. I think that Ori falls into this category, and it is an awesome game. If mid-budget means that I can get a new Jet Set Radio, Outrun or Otogi (those are examples, not MS IPs I know), then please, make more mid-budget games.

I was day one too, I haven't finished it to be honest but I enjoyed a bit of what I played. My play through had issues and I got frustrated with the way point system and some boss battles. It needed polish badly. There is a AAA gem waiting to be made with those characters and setting.

You can want new IP until the cows come home, but as Microsoft's new IP initiatives have shown this generation, who's going to buy them? It's not hard to imagine Phil not being in the business of throwing away 80+ million dollars and firing people because of the sheer scope of cost. Their success has come from games like Ori, not Sunset Overdrive so it makes sense focus on games like that and Cuphead even if they "don't count".

Vinc

You can want new IP until the cows come home, but as Microsoft's new IP initiatives have shown this generation, who's going to buy them? It's not hard to imagine Phil not being in the business of throwing away 80+ million dollars and firing people because of the sheer scope of cost. Their success has come from games like Ori, not Sunset Overdrive so it makes sense focus on games like that and Cuphead even if they "don't count".

Their success has come from quality games that are in sync with what the market wants. That's what people want from them. Sure, make Games as a service that appeal to a large amount of people, but make sure they're great. As a platform holder, they should also probably worry about variety, filling holes in their platform portfolio, and differentiating themselves with unique titles that you can't get anywhere else. I just don't know that they're doing particularly well on any of those fronts.

To me the Xbox platform has an amazing foundation. What i mean by that is that they, Microsoft and the Xbox team, have put a solid system and a solid ecosystem that works very well.

There's Backward compatibility, cloud saves, real-time achievements, a very rich OS in features, Mixer for streaming and it works damn well, an amazing controller, a solid network infrastructure with Xbox Live and a future proof platform for easy BC and future upgrades in hardware. I actually would even say that their hardware is among the best now days. The Xbox One X looks so class !

To me, Microsoft are doing an incredible job and it makes using the Xbox One/Windows ecosystem a charm. I can compare to the competition but you get the idea, Microsoft are ahead and i love how well crafted their ecosystem is.

That said, it's still disappointing that not enough games and variety from their first party studios are releasing. I love Halo and Gears but these two should take a long ass break and 343 and The Coalition should make something different or completely reinvent the sauce for Gears and Halo. Actually, Microsoft need maybe 2-3 studios that pump those cinematic AAA games and they would be a much more valid platform. Also, letting deals like Street Fighter V, Nier and Persona slip just like that is something they should prevent from happening again.

I'm still exited for Cuphead, Forza 7, Lucky's Tale and even Sea of Thieves which i was skeptical at first but can't wait to play it now since i've seen the videos and the very positive impressions.

Microsoft needs to be a little more unique and not try to be too much like the competition. They do have a solid system and can definitely make some exiting and different stuff, 1 VS 100 is one of them. They used to bring unique titles, ScaleBound was supposed to be one of them but that got cancelled sadly.

Trago

Their success has come from quality games that are in sync with what the market wants. That's what people want from them. Sure, make Games as a service that appeal to a large amount of people, but make sure they're great. As a platform holder, they should also probably worry about variety, filling holes in their platform portfolio, and differentiating themselves with unique titles that you can't get anywhere else. I just don't know that they're doing particularly well on any of those fronts.

Well, don't expect any of that on the first party front. 343i is the Halo studio, Coalition is the Gears studio, and Turn10 are the Forza studio.

I've said this before, but where they can really pick up the slack is in their second party partnerships with external developers. That's where all the new and interesting stuff has come from out of them. Unfortunately, only a few of the games that they've funded have been big hits. That shouldn't stop them form trying still.

Zeta Oni

Not really an unseen opinion but it just seems like MS is simply taking the least risky path to being a platform holder in 2017.

Minimal investments in unproven genres/IP, relying on tried and true franchises (even if they aren't as tried and true as days past), the laser tight focus on improving the Xbox Live service itself through constant updates adding highly requested features, and Backwards Compatibility most of all, all seem like moves to strengthen the foundation of the platform going forward but are also notably less expensive investments then new IP. Eventually, they will run out of BC titles to bring over. Eventually, even though there will always be requested features, many of the big ones will have been taken care of. OG Xbox BC, Dolby Atmos, Refunds, Gifting, all currently either being worked on or already released. And when that "eventually" come around, what's going to be left there is arguably one of the best platforms to invest in from an ecosystem perspective, but the worst when it comes to offering new unique content from the main reason we invest at all- the games.

Now do I believe MS is investing in new IP?
Absolutely.

But if there's one thing that's clear by now, it wont ever be at the level it was in the previous generations due to changes in cost of development for AAA titles as well as Microsoft's shifting mindshare and history in the market itself.

And honestly, I'm ok with that.

But I really wish they would realize that not everything has to be AAA or indie. Nier: Automata is a fantastic game that enjoyed fantastic sales and was done on a budget, I sometimes feel similar planning with Scalebound would have resulted in a (different) game that actually released.

JaggedSac

But I really wish they would realize that not everything has to be AAA or indie. Nier: Automata is a fantastic game that enjoyed fantastic sales and was done on a budget, I sometimes feel similar planning with Scalebound would have resulted in a (different) game that actually released.

They should have dropped multiplayer.

Their variety comes from third parties; their most played games are often titles like Call of Duty, Ark: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, Grand Theft Auto, etc. As such it makes since to let third parties handle the grunt of their offerings and support those titles with strong services like Game Pass, LFG, EA Access, XBL, etc. Take that away and they're still supporting games like Ori, Cuphead, Lucky's Tale, Ashen and so on so you're still getting those diverse titles.

It's really no different than Sony, Sony focuses on the games and genres they are good at and then let third parties fill in their gaps.

With the massive success of Ghost Recon: Wildlands I don't think that would have been a great move. Also, there aren't a lot of large budget, multiplayer Action RPGs on the market and that could've filled a cool niche especially for the multiplayer friendly crowd on Xbox.

blakep267

Why would you think that's the issue. Maybe the game just wasn't good. Making an open world rpg for somebody that's never done that is hard. With Scalebound all we ever saw was, the initial gamescom demo with the mantis fight, then the giant crab 4 player fight at E3. And then some concept art of a village. Multiplayer seems like it's the least worrisome issue when it came to SB

Zeta Oni

Why would you think that's the issue. Maybe the game just wasn't good. Making an open world rpg for somebody that's never done that is hard. With Scalebound all we ever saw was, the initial gamescom demo with the mantis fight, then the giant crab 4 player fight at E3. And then some concept art of a village. Multiplayer seems like it's the least worrisome issue when it came to SB

There's actually gameplay footage of the village, ruins, as well as private footage showing combat mechanics in action that weren't previously shown in released trailers.

peppers

There's actually gameplay footage of the village, ruins, as well as private footage showing combat mechanics in action that weren't previously shown in released trailers.
What chances are there for this to be eventually released for everybody? I remember it sounding pretty amazing, dragons punching each other in first person or something like that...

Zeta Oni

What chances are there for this to be eventually released for everybody? I remember it sounding pretty amazing, dragons punching each other in first person or something like that...

Since no one was bold enough to try capturing it with their phone, almost zero.

The only chance we will ever see that footage is if its leaked, like the Mega Bloks Halo project, because I'm almost certain that given the context of that presentation in particular, the game was already on the chopping block as far as MS was concerned.

peppers

Since no one was bold enough to try capturing it with their phone, almost zero.

The only chance we will ever see that footage is if its leaked, like the Mega Bloks Halo project, because I'm almost certain that given the context of that presentation in particular, the game was already on the chopping block as far as MS was concerned.

Yeah I was wondering about how could it be leaked. Unless there's a situation like what you said, or even the SW Battlefront 3 files in that Resident Evil game...
I had hoped some journalist could have smuggled that video lol

SOR5

So my thoughts are: as soon as you're about to post any listwar shit, take one step back from your computer and think, has 377383890 people before me made a similarly interchangable comment starring the usual culprits of Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo, Persona, Forza Horizon etc.? Does the opposing party care particularly?

If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second question (and trust me, that is the answer) then don't post.

So my thoughts are: as soon as you're about to post any listwar shit, take one step back from your computer and think, has 377383890 people before me made a similarly interchangable comment starring the usual culprits of Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo, Persona, Forza Horizon etc.? Does the opposing party care particularly?

If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second question (and trust me, that is the answer) then don't post.
You can't put everyone in the same group. As if everyone has the same thoughts on the matter and feel the exact same way about the game situation.

ReCore has to have to have been rebuilt from the ground up, the extra core bot was supposed to have released at the beginning of this year, furfuxsake.

JaggedSac

Why would you think that's the issue. Maybe the game just wasn't good. Making an open world rpg for somebody that's never done that is hard.

Absolutely it is hard. Adding multiplayer to an already difficult endeavor no doubt increased development complexity and budgetary needs.

EmiPrime

To me the Xbox platform has an amazing foundation. What i mean by that is that they, Microsoft and the Xbox team, have put a solid system and a solid ecosystem that works very well.

There's Backward compatibility, cloud saves, real-time achievements, a very rich OS in features, Mixer for streaming and it works damn well, an amazing controller, a solid network infrastructure with Xbox Live and a future proof platform for easy BC and future upgrades in hardware. I actually would even say that their hardware is among the best now days. The Xbox One X looks so class !

To me, Microsoft are doing an incredible job and it makes using the Xbox One/Windows ecosystem a charm. I can compare to the competition but you get the idea, Microsoft are ahead and i love how well crafted their ecosystem is.

That said, it's still disappointing that not enough games and variety from their first party studios are releasing.

This is more or less where I am at.

Kind of on topic: watching Evo this year I couldn't help but feel disappointed at the stream quality (720p60). The gorgeous 4K HDR Mixer stream of the Xbox E3 press conference has spoiled me, I genuinely hate watching video game footage that's any more visually busy than Hearthstone now. I hope MS find a way to leverage Mixer and that the One X can fit in with this.

Didn't know where else to ask this but do we know when Path of Exile comes out? Initially i wasn't interested in it but after giving Diablo 3 a shot and actually quite enjoying it it seems these are my kind of games after all.

ReCore has to have to have been rebuilt from the ground up, the extra core bot was supposed to have released at the beginning of this year, furfuxsake.

Is the studio perhaps incredibly small? Or maybe they figured it would be better to wait for the DE and put it in there, but yeah...either way not a good look.

The fact that they're branding it as definitive edition leads me to think there will be some pretty substantial upgrades to ReCore. At least, more than just the extra core frame and dungeon. I wouldn't be surprised if they altered the end game a bit.

It seems the Coalition are on a hiring spree.
https://twitter.com/GearsViking/status/892950137453936641
DGRlacnUQAIjlUp.jpg

peppers

Yeah, Rod also mentioned he was working with a novelist, a comic book writer and the movie writer. Seems like there should be plenty of Gears content outside of games ready for when Gears 5 drops.

JlNX

Rare is hiring too. Tweets went up the same day.
https://twitter.com/RareLtd/status/893094109883355136
DGS9ahwUAAAHd4J.jpg

Rare has been on a hiring spree for the last year or so now, it's probably due to the game getting closer to release so a live team needs to be set up. Also it's more than likely that their however many year content plan needs to start moving, then they'll take what ever Louise O'Connors team has been working on for the last couple of years and start production.

If sea of thieves I'd a hit, it will be rare's only game for a long time as it is a persistent game.
Personally, I'd hate to see rare turning into a one franchise studio

JlNX

If sea of thieves I'd a hit, it will be rare's only game for a long time as it is a persistent game.
Personally, I'd hate to see rare turning into a one franchise studio

We already know they have more than sea of thieves in development, including the creation of Louise O'Connors incubation team which was created to allow for the studios goal to work on and manage multiple New IP. Their goal as a studios is to be Xbox's new IP developer and the studio that is focused on expanding to be able to handle multiple "games as a service titles", that is all Rare is tasked with working on now "games as a service" titles. You don't need a 200+ plus (thanks to the amount of hiring rare has been doing) developer live team, that would be far to expensive and a waste of resources. Think of Rare as a studios end goal to be similar of that to Blizzard, Multiple IP that are all GAAS that are supported for years by multiple live teams. Expanding over time, but going by how much Rare is hiring and how they are speeding up they probably want to expand a lot quicker. They realise that a studio that has multiple IP that are all bring in a constant revenue stream rather than a 3 year investment followed by a massive payoff is far more desirable by the heads of Microsoft, while also protecting the studio more from failures. It's seems to be an idea brought in by the new head Craig Duncan, who was a head and manager at Codemasters who managed multiple IP as well.

Didn't know where else to ask this but do we know when Path of Exile comes out? Initially i wasn't interested in it but after giving Diablo 3 a shot and actually quite enjoying it it seems these are my kind of games after all.

Is the studio perhaps incredibly small? Or maybe they figured it would be better to wait for the DE and put it in there, but yeah...either way not a good look.
When the closed beta dropped last week they said it would be in beta for 3 weeks, so I'd assume end of this month

JlNX

343 also hiring a lot, but they have also been hiring a lot since after Halo 5 released including recently the lead designer for Horizon Zero Dawns combat.

LEAD MISSION DESIGNER
343 is looking for an experienced Mission Designer to drive and implement all mission design in our next exciting Halo campaign. Responsibilities will focus on mission design, implementation and scripting - as well as managing a small team of mission designers. This person will work directly with the Campaign and Narrative Directors to ensure both gameplay and narrative experiences are met; as well as collaborate with other designers, writers, engineers and artists to ensure that the player experience as a whole is of the highest quality...

SERVICE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The Halo Game Services team builds cloud services that drive many aspects of the game, including in-game economies and commerce, player statistics, user generated content, matchmaking, and game content management. We follow an agile, iterative, and quality driven software development lifecycle. We value development of unit and acceptance tests as part of feature development...

CAMPAIGN ENGINEERING LEAD
As a Campaign Engineering Lead on the campaign team you will be partnering with the creative leadership to deliver an amazing campaign and story experience. You will manage and lead an engineering team to produce high quality features in an FPS halo experience. You will drive technical communication outside of your team with the Technical Director and the full engineering team...

GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
As a Gameplay Engineer on the Sandbox team, you are core to enabling artists and designers to realize their vision for weapons, vehicles, player mechanics, and more on screen. The ideal candidate will be able to drive forward our engine technology to best support the gameplay vision. You will need to be able to collaborate with creative people and be able to deliver solid performant code in a AAA game engine...

SENIOR CONCEPT ARTIST
The Senior Concept Artist is central in establishing the overall vision of the universe, working with the Art Director and Concept Lead to create imagery that will communicate the visual experience, excite the team, and help blueprint all the aspects of the game for content authoring. He/she should bring a world class understanding of composition and color, a strong ability to render exciting industrial design, and a firm grasp of the practical aspects of content creation...

SENIOR NETWORKING GENERALIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Networking Generalist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers that want to work on a triple-A franchise that will live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: In the Games as a Service world of AAA game development, our client networking developers are responsible for all game communication with our various services and serve...

SENIOR ANIMATION ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Animation Engineer to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. As a Senior Animation Engineer, you will help extend our animation feature set while supporting the development of new characters. Responsibilities: Drive the design and implementation of core animation components. Collaborate with designers, animators, and AI engineers in the development of new character functionality. Develop a...

ENVIRONMENT ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for an Environment Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo what it is today. And we need exceptional artists to help us achieve that goal. 343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated, experienced Environment Artist who is highly skilled in creating AAA quality Environment Art content for our games. The ideal candidate will have ...

FX ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for an FX Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We're looking for someone who is highly creative and driven, willing to tackle any effect challenge that comes their way. A solid team player with strong communication skills, able to work with leads, directors, artists, engineers and designers. Someone who is self-sufficient and flexible enough to build effects from scratch without any preconceived i...

TECHNICAL ANIMATOR
343 Industries, the studio developing the legendary Halo games, is looking for experienced Technical Animators to join our talented team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. Job Description: Our ideal candidate will help bridge the gap between our animation team and animation developers with the goal of creating compelling and believable animation in our game engine. The candidate must have the skills to support large teams of artists, designers and developers and ideally have a pa...

UI ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a UI Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. As a UI Artist, you are central to defining amazing user experiences across activities and devices for one of the most exciting and creative intellectual properties in the industry. If you're a passionate, talented and driven artist in this field, this is where you need to be! UI Artists are expected to produce exceptional 2D and some 3D graphics, menu...

CHARACTER TECHNICAL ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Character Technical Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. A Character Technical Artist develops tools/frameworks/workflows, solves technical production issues, and creates believable deformations on characters, weapons, vehicles and props. Responsibilities: Develop character, weapon, and vehicle content and workflows in Maya and game engine. Develop tools, scripts, plugins to streamline pr...

WORKFLOW UX DESIGNER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Workflow UX Designer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. As the Workflow UX Designer, you are central to defining an amazing user experience throughout our internal & proprietary tools, engine and content creator workflows. If you're a passionate, talented and driven UX Designer who wants to work on one of the most exciting and creative intellectual properties in the industry, this is where you need.

GRAPHICS DEVELOPER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a hot-shot campaign graphics engineer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. This engineer will partner with our campaign team to make our game environments and showcase moments spectacular. As a graphics engineer you will be responsible for writing and maintaining the systems which the environment team uses to bring their content to life in engine. The ideal candidate will love getting their hands dirt...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Campaign Generalist to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers who want to work on a triple-A franchise that will redefine the Halo experience and live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: Work closely with designers to enable rapid prototyping of new gameplay features and systems. Deliver architecture, implementation, an...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Animation Generalist to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers who want to work on a triple-A franchise that will redefine the Halo experience and live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: Work closely with designers to enable rapid prototyping of new Narrative and Animation features and systems. Deliver architecture, im...

ANIMATION TOOLS DEVELOPER
We are looking for an Animation Tools Developer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. Animation is a major part of the Halo experience and we at 343 Industries are looking for an experienced animation tools developer to join our team and help enhance our animation tools and pipeline to enable our artists and designers to create cutting edge games in the Halo universe...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER – PIPELINE/DCC
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience and help enhance our import, export and post-processing Digital Content Creation / game data pipeline. Transforming art and design content into optimal, game-ready formats is a key part in achieving high framerates and exciting gameplay...

DESIGN MANAGER
Reporting to the Creative Director, 343 is looking for an experienced Design Manager who has a passion for creating compelling gameplay experiences to manage our studio's Design Department. The team is comprised of the following disciplines: Systems/Sandbox Design, Character Design, Online Experiences, Narrative Design, Campaign Design, and Multiplayer Design...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries is expanding its core systems team and is looking for an experienced developer to join us. We're creating, supporting and maintaining the pillars of the Halo tech stack which includes systems supporting the rest of the developer team as well as some stand-alone systems....

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries is looking for an experienced software engineer to help create our next-generation game editor to enable artists and designers to create cutting edge games in the Halo universe. We are looking for a talented and experienced programmer with the ability to help us deliver a solid, usable system to create content for a AAA game title. As a candidate, you should understand and have experience with the challenges of large, real-time application development...

SENIOR MULTIPLAYER ENGINEER
343 Industries is looking for an experienced multiplayer developer to help drive the future of Halo multiplayer. Work with the talented, passionate team behind Halo 5's extremely well-received Arena and Warzone modes to deliver new exciting, engaging, and overall top-notch multiplayer experiences. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on one of the biggest multiplayer franchises in the industry...

PRINCIPAL SDE LEAD - ANIMATION
343 Industries (Halo) is looking for an experienced animation developer to join us and lead our animation runtime, pipeline and tools efforts. Animation is a critical part of the Halo experience and this opportunity would put you at the center of the action...

ENGINE ARCHITECT
343 Industries is looking for an Engine Architect to help drive the future of the Halo tech stack. Come help us create the future of AAA engines while shipping a top-flight game experience. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on one of the biggest franchises in the industry...

LEAD SYSTEMS DEVELOPER
343 Industries is growing its core systems and technology development team and is looking for an experienced lead to join us. Help us create, support and extend our low level systems and technologies and set the bar for technology within the Halo universe...

sam12

What's the use of knowing their big studios are hiring when we know what games they are hiring for. Halo 6, Gears of War and Sea of Thieves.

Still shows to me as published by Studio MDHR on the store.
Doesn't matter what the store says really... cause Greenberg tweeted out a link to the Xbox page saying it was a "new website". Before the Cuphead Xbox page used to say it was independently published. They also added a design lab Cuphead color scheme on the page. And why would Greenberg be reviewing launch plans for an ID game?

Xbox Store prob just hasn't updated yet

Tweet: https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/896048706356600833

Shiggy

Doesn't matter what the store says really... cause Greenberg tweeted out a link to the Xbox page saying it was a "new website". Before the Cuphead Xbox page used to say it was independently published. They also added a design lab Cuphead color scheme on the page. And why would Greenberg be reviewing launch plans for an ID game?

Xbox Store prob just hasn't updated yet

Tweet: https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/896048706356600833

They've obviously invested some kind of money/marketing into the game as it's an Xbox (lifetime) exclusive. The controller is, as you said, just a design lab color scheme. It's actually a pretty cool way to promote indie games!

Still a bit strange for them to choose to be the publisher only now when all localisation work has been wrapped up, ratings been applied for, shop listings gone up showing Studio MDHR - there's nothing left to do for a traditional publisher now unless they "bought" the game now so that Studio MDHR is free of financial liabilities.

Top Bottom