• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

They've obviously invested some kind of money/marketing into the game as it's an Xbox (lifetime) exclusive. The controller is, as you said, just a design lab color scheme. It's actually a pretty cool way to promote indie games!

Still a bit strange for them to choose to be the publisher only now when all localisation work has been wrapped up, ratings been applied for, shop listings gone up showing Studio MDHR - there's nothing left to do for a traditional publisher now unless they "bought" the game now so that Studio MDHR is free of financial liabilities.
Oh ya, definitely odd timing to pick it up last minute. I didn't mean to be rude to you by the way, I re-read my response and it seemed kind of snotty. I agree with ya!

They've obviously invested some kind of money/marketing into the game as it's an Xbox (lifetime) exclusive. The controller is, as you said, just a design lab color scheme. It's actually a pretty cool way to promote indie games!

Still a bit strange for them to choose to be the publisher only now when all localisation work has been wrapped up, ratings been applied for, shop listings gone up showing Studio MDHR - there's nothing left to do for a traditional publisher now unless they "bought" the game now so that Studio MDHR is free of financial liabilities.

Could have been a deal for the future that recently happened. Maybe a publishing deal for the Cuphead IP or a multi-game publishing deal with the studio.

FelipeMGM

Guess Microsoft decided to pick up the slack after Teeth pointed out that just this specific cuphead game was exclusive

hmmm, so they are thinking about making more already?

great news, hope this first one is very successful

I guess this is the Xbox Gamescom booth this year, looks rather strange would have preferred one similar to last year were a lot more people could get in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWGQidaK57s

that sizzle on the big screen at the end playing a Fable Legends trailer....

still hurts a bit, a tradional Fable with those looks would've been awesome

JlNX

hmmm, so they are thinking about making more already?

great news, hope this first one is very successful

If they want to add it as a A franchise or level it up to AA like Ori then I would be quite happy, because MS needs a lot more of these AA and A. Often their best stuff is the smaller more creative stuff, plus Cuphead or Ori has a lot of outside games, licensing and merchandise potential. Third party's aren't giving them these AA or A games so they might as well do it themselves, they are less risky and if they are popular they get to grow into a bigger franchise like SOD and Ori.

that sizzle on the big screen at the end playing a Fable Legends trailer....

still hurts a bit, a tradional Fable with those looks would've been awesome

Well they still have the engine and the assets and Gobo could be working on it for all we know, I think the art director and technical director and a lot of the Lionhead staff still work at MS through Rare or Microsoft studios UK. I also believe gobo actually has some of the leads of Lionhead working there, I think the lead animator. But I totally agree, a new open world fable that takes learnings from current generation RPG's with this art style would be amazing. I want that feeling of when I first played Lost Chapters were I was absorbed in this surreal but creepy fantastical world, also I wouldn't mind if they just reused all of Lost Chapters music because that is fable to me.

peppers

Yeah I mean why is there a video with Gears UE, Halo 5 (arguably old games) and Fable Legends? People are going to see the logo of a cancelled game like every 2 minutes really? Unless...
believe

JlNX

Yeah I mean why is there a video with Gears UE, Halo 5 (arguably old games) and Fable Legends? People are going to see the logo of a cancelled game like every 2 minutes really? Unless...
believe

It's just for demo purposes and was probably design by a outside company, I don't think this is going to be released publicly anyway.

JlNX

I really want MS to open up one new AAA studio to rival Rare with producing new IP. Just do it MS, let the creativity make your money back ;-;

They are better of just expanding Rare really, or taking some leads from rare and having them set up a rare west/north/etc. But then they get into the issue that they are taking talent away from the main studio, it's a better idea to just expand the number of teams and projects in Rare and keep the current heads. Rare is already expanding a lot already and really this is their plan as a studio anyway.

FelipeMGM

If they want to add it as a A franchise or level it up to AA like Ori then I would be quite happy, because MS needs a lot more of these AA and A. Often their best stuff is the smaller more creative stuff, plus Cuphead or Ori has a lot of outside games, licensing and merchandise potential. Third party's aren't giving them these AA or A games so they might as well do it themselves, they are less risky and if they are popular they get to grow into a bigger franchise like SOD and Ori.

It would make sense for them to pursue that. Most of their recent successes have been from mid tier projects like this, with two being the games you mentioned, Ori and State of Decay. I think even Killer Instinct can be seen as mid tier too, and also worked wonders

Well they still have the engine and the assets and Gobo could be working on it for all we know, I think the art director and technical director and a lot of the Lionhead staff still work at MS through Rare or Microsoft studios UK. I also believe gobo actually has some of the leads of Lionhead working there, I think the lead animator. But I totally agree, a new open world fable that takes learnings from current generation RPG's with this art style would be amazing. I want that feeling of when I first played Lost Chapters were I was absorbed in this surreal but creepy fantastical world, also I wouldn't mind if they just reused all of Lost Chapters music because that is fable to me.

I love the art style and animations of Legends, one of the prettiest projects to appear this gen IMO. The videos from the beta phase show some very promising glimpses of what could've been a full on traditional Fable RPG. The combat, the enemy design, the art style of the workd, all so charming and good looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQZkf-MRWbM

believe

Its just a rendered mockup, prob made by the company who designed the booth to show how it will look on the floor, so they just put up any sizzle there to demonstrate how the big screen will work. The video is not even listed, so its not something meant to publicize the booth or anything

peppers

Its just a rendered mockup, prob made by the company who designed the booth to show how it will look on the floor, so they just put up any sizzle there to demonstrate how the big screen will work. The video is not even listed, so its not something meant for publicize the booth or anything

Right, I see. I'm still believing tho...

I have a feeling Monolith is gonna make a exclusive soon after they finish Middle Earth.

Why?

V7Gc9Dz_d.jpg

Gears of War 4 Sales Number Revealed. You might be surprised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE47OpKNmMs

Pretty intrested vid. Looks like 6.4m people/accounts played Gears of War 4

Nice and well deserved too in my opinion. Yes they did play it safe with the campaign and some of the later unexpected parts were great and there should have been more parts in the game like that. But I'm sure they will make something special of 5.

Keinning

I am surprised indeed, good numbers for a game many had pegged as "flop".
i was not one of them players tho, gow4 never interested me

But y'all know that if a thread is made people will harp on the "played" point, talk about bullshit MS PR, MAUs and the same dance as ever.

Really happy for Rod and the team at TC, must have been terrifying to have to step into the shoes if Cliff and Epic and try to follow one of the most iconic games of last gen, and there first game as a studio to boot!

It doesn't mean 6.4million copies sold but it still shows that a really healthy number of people must have purchased the game.

Knock it out the park for No.5! :)

peppers

How long did the free play last? Even if it sold like 4 million it's still a good number and The Coalition and MS Studios should be pretty happy. I personally can't wait to see what they do with Gears 5.

Theorry

But y'all know that if a thread is made people will harp on the "played" point, talk about bullshit MS PR, MAUs and the same dance as ever.

Yeah thats why i just posted it here.

Btw als curious of that free trial thing counts. As that was limited to ACT 1 so no change to get the achievement.

Ya not really thread worthy, since there has been a free play weekend for it so we don't really know how many actually SALES it has, just how many people have tried the game including that weekend (free play weekends let you unlock achievements)

Edit: at least I think there's been a free play weekend?

Trago

People were calling this game a flop? We never got official numbers! lol

Theorry

People were calling this game a flop? We never got official numbers! lol

We only got what it did in the first week in the UK. Was better then Judgement and not as good as 3. So since then its "known" as a flop and MS never said anything about sales.
But yeah its stupid to call it that without full numbers including digital. Wich is way bigger this gen and digital was a big thing to do with early access.

Trago

We only got what it did in the first week in the UK. Was better then Judgement and not as good as 3. So since then its "known" as a flop and MS never said anything about sales.
But yeah its stupid to call it that without full number including digital. Wich is way bigger this gen and digital was a big thing to do with early access.

Just curious, but is this the trend with other Microsoft published games this generation? No official numbers from Halo5, Forza, etc?

peppers

Judging Gears 4's performance based of UK numbers is not the smartest thing honestly. These games are HUGE in Mexico and I guess USA would be their biggest market anyway...

Theorry

Just curious, but is this the trend with other Microsoft published games this generation? No official numbers from Halo5, Forza, etc?

Not full blown it sold this much. Maybe only with Horizon 3 i believe?
But they give some hints now and then it news wire posts. I think they know some games arent selling as well as on 360. Doesnt mean it sold bad but compared to some 360 sales alot of it would look like a "flop"

But yeah its stupid to call it that without full numbers including digital. Wich is way bigger this gen and digital was a big thing to do with early access.

We got insider numbers for the games first month in NPD. It did 415k without bundles and about 500k including bundles I believe not including digital. I'm not saying the game is a failure because it's not but it certainly isn't near any of the mainline entries but that has to do with a lot of factors.

Theorry

We got insider numbers for the games first month in NPD. It did 415k without bundles and about 500k including bundles I believe not including digital. I'm not saying the game is a failure because it's not but it certainly isn't near any of the mainline entries but that has to do with a lot of factors.

Ah yeah true. But like i said above. Thats probably is the reason they dont give numbers. Its not bad. But it will look bad next to 360 numbers.

Top Bottom