• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

blakep267

Just curious, but is this the trend with other Microsoft published games this generation? No official numbers from Halo5, Forza, etc?
The only official numbers we've gotten were 12 million Forza players(before Horizon 3 was released) and Horizon 3 sold 2.5 million in the first 3 months. Other than that we had sprinkles say halo did 5 million(likely shipped) before the end of year 2015

Gears 4 is on PC as well though. Attach rate is almost unmeasurable unless they specify systems

When they ran their pc vs xbox playlist, tournament, or whatever it was PC only accounted for 10% of the player base. Windows 10 pulls turrible numbers so the pc version might account for 100k if that.

Windows 10 install base is over 500 million.

Of course we have no idea how well games are selling in the Win 10 store, but I think we can safely assume that the novel idea of "half a billion user install base, you put something there and it'll sell like hotcakes!" hasn't exactly been realized at this point.

Not to mention that 500 million Windows 10 devices does not mean 500 million PCs that are in the marketing and can run Gears.

Novocaine

When they ran their pc vs xbox playlist, tournament, or whatever it was PC only accounted for 10% of the player base. Windows 10 pulls turrible numbers so the pc version might account for 100k if that.

Anecdotally the games of Horde I play are dominated by XBO players. But when you add free play weekends all bets are off because anyone could have installed and tried it.

blakep267

Anecdotally the games of Horde I play are dominated by XBO players. But when you add free play weekends all bets are off because anyone could have installed and tried it.
They've merged the playlists so every now and then I'll see somebody typing responses in the social list. But yeah 9% sounds about right for PC players

Chobel

No Crackdown 3 MP at Gamescom?

bwSYK6seTmSGeDy_IHvUOQ.png

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/897923626732630016

Theorry

On launch day we see it first..
I mean if its not "ready to show" after all those years, delays and 2 months before release. Yeah no.

Microsoft is doing everything in its power to convince people that it doesn't actually produce AAA games. Two for 2017. Halo Wars 2 and Forza 7. What else are they publishing? Super Lucky's Tale and Cuphead?

Worst first party line up in any given year ever? Even if Super Lucky's Tale and Cuphead are both 9s, it's gotta be up there.

Shiggy

Let's hope Polygon didn't just spoil the surprise that Spencer was hinting at.

Gears4 is almost at uncharted numbers?

I thought that the game was a big bomba that barely sold more than 1 millio units

It sold more than 1m, but is not close to Uncharted 4 numbers.

blakep267

Microsoft is doing everything in its power to convince people that it doesn't actually produce AAA games. Two for 2017. Halo Wars 2 and Forza 7. What else are they publishing? Super Lucky's Tale and Cuphead?

Worst first party line up in any given year ever? Even if Super Lucky's Tale and Cuphead are both 9s, it's gotta be up there.
The magical year of 2014 was terrible for everybody, aside from Titanfall

jayu26

Gears4 is almost at uncharted numbers?

I thought that the game was a big bomba that barely sold more than 1 millio units

Okay, some of you need to get a grip. It is nowhere close to Uncharted 4 and it sold a lot more than 1 million. Come live in the reality, it is much better...except for the Trump part.

Chris1

Crackdown delayed? I didn't see that coming

This might be the worst year in xbox history. Notable exclusives being Cuphead, Forza 7, Super Lucky's Tale and Halo Wars 2? Christ

They had Sunset Overdrive, MCC and Forza Horizon 2 that year. Even if the multiplayer for MCC never worked, it's still better than Halo Wars 2.

Crackdown delayed? I didn't see that coming

This might be the worst year in xbox history. Notable exclusives being Cuphead, Forza 7, Super Lucky's Tale and Halo Wars 2? Christ

And the venerable Voodoo Vince. Can't forget that!

jayu26

Where are you guys finding Crackdown is delayed information? Are you guys just connecting dots? I would wait for official announcement.

Edit: oh wait, just saw the thread. Opps. That's a shame.

Chris1

2014 was good though

Titanfall, MCC (Ok it was broken but still), Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, PvZ:GW was exclusive too during that year.

2014 was probably xbox one's best year for exclusives. That's not including stuff like KSR or D4 either.

blakep267

2014 was good though

Titanfall, MCC (Ok it was broken but still), Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, PvZ:GW was exclusive too during that year.

2014 was probably xbox one's best year for exclusives. That's not including stuff like KSR or D4 either.
Eh I'd say 2015&16 were better. But I did forget about Sunset in my earlier statemnet(not sure how) so yea this is the worst. Unless we add PUBG to the list and still it's pretty bad

2017 will have… Halo Wars 2, Forza Motorsport 7 and Super Luckeys Tale, plus ports of Halo Wars and Phantom Dust from Microsoft

That is fairly terrible year for output and the 2018 games we know about are only in there because they've been delayed (edit: plus Ori my bad on that)

Isn't it supposed to get better as the gen goes on? Phil been in the top job for 3.5 years, isn't he supposed to, you know, improve things?

Also 2014 was great, Sunset Overdrive is still my favourite game this gen.

Chris1

Eh I'd say 2015&16 were better. But I did forget about Sunset in my earlier statemnet(not sure how) so yea this is the worst. Unless we add PUBG to the list and still it's pretty bad
Hmm personal taste I'd probably still say 2014 but 2015 does come pretty close mainly due to TR. 2014 had 3(Titanfall, SO & FH2) of some of my favourite games this gen while 2015 only had 2 (Ori&TR)

Screamride, Ori, Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Rare Replay, Forza 6, am I missing anything?

But yeah 2015 was fantastic aswell when you look back on it.

2017 will have… Halo Wars 2, Forza Motorsport 7 and Super Luckeys Tale, plus ports of Halo Wars and Phantom Dust from Microsoft

That is fairly terrible year for output and the 2018 games we know about are only in there because they've been delayed.

Isn't it supposed to get better as the gen goes on? Phil been in the top job for 3.5 years, isn't he supposed to, you know, improve things?

You would think so yes

But backwards compatibility and removing Kinect etc etc

Shiggy

That is fairly terrible year for output and the 2018 games we know about are only in there because they've been delayed.

Don't forget Recore DE, which will launch at the end of the month.
Ok, that changes nothing.

blakep267

Hmm personal taste I'd probably still say 2014 but 2015 does come pretty close (mainly due to TR). 2014 had 3 of some of my favourite games this gen while 2015 only had 2 (Ori&TR)

Screamride, Ori, Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Rare Replay, Forza 6, am I missing anything?

But yeah 2015 was fantastic aswell when you look back on it.
Well gears ultimate and SoD year one. But it's close. I just liked Halo 5 a bit more than Titanfall

Chris1

Well gears ultimate and SoD year one. But it's close. I just liked Halo 5 a bit more than Titanfall
Oh yeah I forgot about them since I don't care too much for remasters. I'd still put 2014 ahead for me personally but 2015 is probably the best year objectively

That is fairly terrible year for output and the 2018 games we know about are only in there because they've been delayed (edit: plus Ori my bad on that)

One would think....

Yep, worst year in a while. 2018 is looking okay, but only because it's made up of 2016/2017 delays

Think about that for a sec...none of those games were supposed to originally be 2018 games. Crazy...

Yep, worst year in a while. 2018 is looking okay, but only because it's made up of 2016/2017 delays

Think about that for a sec...none of those games were supposed to originally be 2018 games. Crazy...

2018 going to be a de facto ok year because by sheer dumb luck or just poor planning they moved so many games into 2018 it ended up being spread moderately ok

2017 is already terrible moving crackdown doesn't even matter to me. Plus it gets polish plus hopefully sell better. Hopefully 2018 and 19 is solid.

I wonder will they show halo or some shit at gamescom.

Thinking ahead is halo 2018? If so that'll be a deep ass year

blakep267

Sucks but a perfect storm of bad things happened. Fable legends didn't work out and was cancelled. Scalebound was cancelled(although that probably would've been delayed as well). Press play was closed and their 2 games (the dwarves and BR game) aren't exclusive anymore

Top Bottom