• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Loxley

Are there any new armors or weapons to unlock in the game or is it just skills and stuff like that?

There's no "loot" in the sense that you're constantly picking up new weapons and armor. Talion has three weapons that he uses throughout the whole game (sword, dagger & bow). However, those weapons evolve visually over the course of the game through upgrades.

*reads Edmond Dantes' lore posts*

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

The morning after, I've had a chance to properly read and digest some reviews. The Polygon one has the choicest quotes:

In another instance, I became overwhelmed and ran away from a berserker named Ratanak the Thunderer. Every time Ratanak and I crossed paths afterward, he was certain to remind me of my cowardice. He even developed a trait that made him more likely to hunt me down of his own volition, which led him to popping up at the worst times, trying to impede my progress mid-mission. It would have been frustrating if it wasn't so damn cool.

In one of my most memorable moments from the game, I was tracking down Maku the Gluttonous, bodyguard to one of the local warchiefs. II found him near a bridge, already fighting. t turns out Maku fancied himself as something of a hunter and decided to track down a Graug, a massive troll-like creature. Sadly for him, he took on this task solo. While I watched from the bushes, this Graug crushed my target, taking Maku out of the picture so that I could focus my attention on the warchief he protected. This kind of randomly generated story is not something I expect from narrative-driven games, and it makes Shadow of Mordor a special experience.

So good. Dynamic NPCs are what I've always wanted out of an open-world game.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Right, I get why they were sent in more of a guidance role but how did they know to remain there after Sauron was defeated by the Last Alliance? Did the Istari know it wasn't over until the ring was destroyed? The films definitely don't come across that way as Gandalf seems really caught off-guard and the White Council are in disbelief when there's talk of a Necromancer in the fortress.
The films differ somewhat due to an alteration in the timeline. A 'watchful peace' is what Elrond describes it as. In fact there was no such thing. It's simply a film invention.

The Istari, although they would diminish in their chosen raiments and thus lose much in the way of their vast knowledge, still retained enough to know exactly what Sauron was and how difficult a task it would be to rid Arda of his presence. The Valar knew of Sauron's Ring, as did the Istari. Glorfindel who traveled to Middle-earth after his re-birth also knew of the One Ring. The One had to be destroyed and it was left to these emissaries of the West to devise a way for it to be destroyed. Little did they know however, that the key to its destruction lay in the hands of someone so small and seemingly insignificant.

antitrop

There's no "loot" in the sense that you're constantly picking up new weapons and armor. Talion has three weapons that he uses throughout the whole game (sword, dagger & bow). However, those weapons evolve visually over the course of the game through upgrades.

Very Witcher-y. Although I guess you did kind of get new, stronger forms of Steel and Silver swords, rather than just upgrade the ones you start with.

I guess just the Talion character model reminds of Geralt with the 2 different blades on his back thing. :p

Do you think this will get Monolith to make more LOTR games or do you think by having this kind of success that it may get them to do their own IP again? Sorry... I would kill for a FEAR trilogy re-make or something.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think this will get Monolith to make more LOTR games or do you think by having this kind of success that it may get them to do their own IP again? Sorry... I would kill for a FEAR trilogy re-make or something.

why not both? if that game is a hit, why not give them the money to follow with a new lotr game and fear?

How does this run on the PS4? Is it at 1080p? Does it run at a solid 30fps? Is there noticeable screen tearing or other technical issues?

Apparently, the PS4 version is 1080p/60fps, can't speak about any technical issues though, I believe the IGN review mentioned some occasional slowdowns in particular situations but nothing more.

Braag

I keep seeing people compare this to Aassassin's Creed based on gameplay footages.
I don't know why it annoys me :p I mean I've played every AC release (except the handheld ones) and I don't see the similarity except for the parkour and unless AC invented parkour (which it didn't obviously) then I don't see where the comparisons come from.
Even the combat looks a lot more like the Arkham games instead of AC's "attack me in turns while I try to counterattack" combat system.

DrBo42

Edmond Dantès;131746292 said:
The films differ somewhat due to an alteration in the timeline. A 'watchful peace' is what Elrond describes it as. In fact there was no such thing. It's simply a film invention.

The Istari, although they would diminish in their chosen raiments and thus lose much in the way of their vast knowledge, still retained enough to know exactly what Sauron was and how difficult a task it would be to rid Arda of his presence. The Valar knew of Sauron's Ring, as did the Istari. Glorfindel who traveled to Middle-earth after his re-birth also knew of the One Ring. The One had to be destroyed and it was left to these emissaries of the West to devise a way for it to be destroyed. Little did they know however, that the key to its destruction lay in the hands of someone so small and seemingly insignificant.

That makes sense, thanks.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is the upgrade path pretty varied and large or is it more concentrated on one path that everyone will go down? I'm a huge fan of weapon progression and upgrades so i hope it's the former.

I hope so. There's plenty of stories left to tell in Middle-earth, and I'm sure Monolith can find ways to improve on and expand their current formula. I'd love the sequel/successor to include co-op.

I keep seeing people compare this to Aassassin's Creed based on gameplay footages.
I don't know why it annoys me :p I mean I've played every AC release (except the handheld ones) and I don't see the similarity except for the parkour and unless AC invented parkour (which it didn't obviously) then I don't see where the comparisons come from.
Even the combat looks a lot more like the Arkham games instead of AC's "attack me in turns while I try to counterattack" combat system.

I don't understand it either. I asked someone who made a "looks like Assassin's Creed+" comment why he thought that. To which he replied "just all the gameplay". Welp....that's a pretty wide and vague statement. To each their own I guess.

Is the upgrade path pretty varied and large or is it more concentrated on one path that everyone will go down? I'm a huge fan of weapon progression and upgrades so i hope it's the former.

Upgrades are gained via Runes which are dropped by Captains and Warchiefs through the Nemesis system. The upgrade path I assume is varied considering that you determine who you want to assasinate, control, or manipulate to change the hierarchy thus affecting when Runes are dropped.

The runes themselves are likely consistent from playthrough to playthrough, but when they drop is likely randomized.

ironcreed

Banned
The morning after, I've had a chance to properly read and digest some reviews. The Polygon one has the choicest quotes:

So good. Dynamic NPCs are what I've always wanted out of an open-world game.

That right there is the reason for the glowing reviews. Amazing. The world is going to feel so much more alive.

wenis

Upgrades are gained via Runes which are dropped by Captains and Warchiefs through the Nemesis system. The upgrade path I assume is varied considering that you determine who you want to assasinate, control, or manipulate to change the hierarchy thus affecting when Runes are dropped.

The runes themselves are likely consistent from playthrough to playthrough, but when they drop is likely randomized.
Ooooh, sounds good. Thanks for the info.

On that hype train now. Just pre-ordered on Amazon.

Apparently, the PS4 version is 1080p/60fps, can't speak about any technical issues though, I believe the IGN review mentioned some occasional slowdowns in particular situations but nothing more.
Wow, I didn't expect 60fps. Between this and the excellent reviews I'll probably pick this up as soon as possible.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Interestingly, the bosses drop different runes based on your approach. So a fully antagonized, powered up and angry boss that will be difficult will drop better runes than a calm boss. So it's also dynamic in that respect depending on your style. The latest video showed how you really have to manipulate a boss to a certain "state" to get the best runes out of them.

wenis

Interestingly, the bosses drop different runes based on your approach. So a fully antagonized, powered up and angry boss that will be difficult will drop better runes than a calm boss. So it's also dynamic in that respect depending on your style. The latest video showed how you really have to manipulate a boss to a certain "state" to get the best runes out of them.
Holy shit that's aweaome. This game, I'm glad such a thing exists.

Levyne

Banned
Has 60fps been confirmed? Or are people just assuming it is?

During one of the twitch streams the director stated "1080p/60fps", shinobi posted it somewhere.

One or some of the reviews mentioned some drops.

Obviously we need to wait on DF or similar to really get the info.

Spineker

Banned

You can bet your life that if this game does well financially, WB will attempt to make it a franchise like Arkham

Spineker

Banned
I don't understand it either. I asked someone who made a "looks like Assassin's Creed+" comment why he thought that. To which he replied "just all the gameplay". Welp....that's a pretty wide and vague statement. To each their own I guess.

Ass Creed wishes it had a combat system as good as SoM has.

EDIT: No surprise, SoM is now the best seller on Steam.

Has anyone discussing lore watch the gametrailers review yet? beginning of game lore spoiler ahead
In it they talk about in the very beginning Talion's family isn't just being slaughtered for no reason. They are being used as a ritual sacrifice to bring back Celebrimbor. And when his wraith spirit comes back he attaches to Talion instead.

ryseing

Fuck it, the hype got to me. Just preordered via Amazon. The Archer rune sounds cooler than the hidden blade rune GameStop is doing.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Has anyone discussing lore watch the gametrailers review yet? beginning of game lore spoiler ahead
In it they talk about in the very beginning Talion's family isn't just being slaughtered for no reason. They are being used as a ritual sacrifice to bring back Celebrimbor. And when his wraith spirit comes back he attaches to Talion instead.
Very good. It certainly matches Tolkien's writings as detailed above.

Top Bottom