• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Well I got $40 from my Destiny trade in towards this so that worked out as well as I could of hoped.
*awkwardly waves farewell to Bungie whilst avoiding eye contact*
*sighs*

Haha. I envy ur trade-in-value. I was stupid enough to buy Destiny digital. Smh. Never again. Retail only from now on.

[NaK]

Havent gotten vary far in the main story, because I'm busy slaying orcs and having a blast.

The combat is fantastic. You feel so friggin badass, chopping of heads and breaking necks from left to right.
It's like a mix of Batman: Arkham series and Assassin's Creed on steorids. Great and varied animations and finishers.
Every time I land a combo and finish off someone with an execution move, I giggle like a little girl from the brutality on screen.

Tha graphics are a bit of a let down though, with some really low/muddy textures and blurry view distances. But the lightning effects and the creature design are great.

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
[NaK];131781131 said:
Havent gotten vary far in the main story, because I'm busy slaying orcs and having a blast.

The combat is fantastic. You feel so friggin badass, chopping of heads and breaking necks from left to right.
It's like a mix of Batman: Arkham series and Assassin's Creed on steorids. Great and varied animations and finishers.
Every time I land a combo and finish off someone with an execution move, I giggle like a little girl from the brutality on screen.

Tha graphics are a bit of a let down though, with some really low/muddy textures and blurry view distances. But the lightning effects and the creature design are great.

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

I think it is actually quite pretty. Very clean IQ.

lmbotiva

And still we dont know how the ps4 performance is, hard to believe theres not a single user on GAF that has the game already and given that the embargo already lift it shouldnt be a problem to talk about it

Daft_Cat

I don't see the tonal similarity at all. The movies are saccharine tales of traveling and battling in fellowship, in which the enemy is a detached "great evil" without characterization. Talion's story is a tragic one of a personal vendetta, with distinct antagonists that have personalities to be engaged with, rather than a faceless enemy to be annihilated. The gulf may not be as wide as my earlier example, but the differences are clear enough for the two to be judged separately.

Your opinion wasn't "I don't like LotR, I won't like this", it was "nobody who doesn't like LotR will like this." The latter is a lot less defensible.

That wasn't my opinion. I more or less said "this probably isn't for you"... and lol at you not seeing the tonal similarity. You can't honestly be serious on that one.

At this point, can I rely on my fellow GAFfers to keep the story spoilers nicely tagged (and use some discretion with screenshots)? There was a detail revealed in the lore discussion earlier I would have preferred to find out in-game.

My hype is done preloading. Hopefully the actual game follows soon.

BouncyFrag

At this point, can I rely on my fellow GAFfers to keep the story spoilers nicely tagged (and use some discretion with screenshots)? There was a detail revealed in the lore discussion earlier I would have preferred to find out in-game.

My hype is done preloading. Hopefully the actual game follows soon.
I'd go full media blackout. GAF is usually good about spoilers but with the amount of pics that get posted, its better safe than ruining a potential 'wow' gaming moment. I've gleaned enough from reviews, topics, etc that I'm getting this day one.

Ending spoilers:
Sauron is not defeated by Talion, and yet Talion somehow enables the Fellowship to complete their quest.

I haven't even played the game yet and it's obvious.

[NaK];131781131 said:

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

Visuals look good to me from those screens

Daft_Cat

What you said to someone who isn't a fan of the property:

It doesn't get more unequivocal than that.

What are you even arguing about with me? The staunch position your projecting onto my argument is not the point I was originally trying to make (and by extension I don't necessarily disagree with what you keep saying in response). You're also selectively quoting shit to mischaracterize my point.

He asked if there was anything to hook him if he didn't like Lord of the Rings. My response was "Probably not". It was literally the sentence before the one you just quoted.

The "don't play it" refers to the fact that I don't think someone should spend 60 bucks on something that probably isn't for them.

Xando

[NaK];131781131 said:

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

How is the framerate?

Low-res textures and blurry horizons are par for the course for open-world games, last-gen, this-gen, and next-gen. Games are only going to look like Pixar movies if they have an art-style like Knack.

What are you even arguing about with me? The staunch position your projecting onto my argument is not the point I was originally trying to make (and by extension I don't necessarily disagree with what you keep saying in response). You're also selectively quoting shit to mischaracterize my point.

He asked if there was anything to hook him if he didn't like Lord of the Rings. My response was "Probably not". It was literally the sentence before the one you just quoted.

The "don't play it" refers to the fact that I don't think someone should spend 60 bucks on something that probably isn't for them.

And your basis for declaring that the game is probably not for them is simply their opinion on the prior LotR works. My point, as I said in previous responses, is simply that it's ridiculous to make an assessment based on that alone.

And your basis for declaring that the game is probably not for them is simply their opinion on the prior LotR works. My point, as I said in previous responses, is simply that it's ridiculous to make an assessment based on that alone.

No it isn't. I've never liked Pokemon the television show. Are you telling me that I would enjoy the games? Objectively, I know I wouldn't. I don't like the characters, I don't like the plot, and it would be a waste of my time to try.

By telling someone who doesn't like the mythos that an entire game is based around that the game wouldn't be for them is definitely an accurate assumption to make.

Frankiebass

Neo Member
To those who are enjoying the game, how's the difficulty? Is combat a cakewalk like Assassin's Creed? Would it be worth upping the difficulty at the start to get the full experience of the nemesis system?

Thanks!

No it isn't. I've never liked Pokemon the television show. Are you telling me that I would enjoy the games? Objectively, I know I wouldn't. I don't like the characters, I don't like the plot, and it would be a waste of my time to try.

By telling someone who doesn't like the mythos that an entire game is based around that the game wouldn't be for them is definitely an accurate assumption to make.

I might, if you enjoyed turn-based battles based on exploiting weaknesses and customizing your team. In fact, the tone of the games is a lot less exuberant and grating than the TV show, and the characters play much more minor roles. I'm not saying these additional facts would definitely change your mind, but they're definitely relevant factors if you were actually considering the game.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grok for some people. Just take a look at the coverage for the Kim Kardashian game. It's been a huge hit, and not just among people who buy into her celebrity. It's because it's designed in a way to be engaging *despite* the brand associated with it.

Daft_Cat

OP asked if he should play game despite not liking property its based on. I think the answer is "probably not". Probably not worth his money. I think you're overthinking this the implications of that exchange... but whatever.

Don't worry about the fact that you don't like the Lord of the Rings universe, OP! Go spend 60 bucks on this Lord of the Rings game! It's well made and the combat is like Batman and that's fun!

Don't worry about the fact that you don't like the Lord of the Rings universe, OP! Go spend 60 bucks on this Lord of the Rings game! It's well made and the combat is like Batman and that's fun!

I get that this is intended to be sardonic, but this is pretty much how I feel, and it's not unreasonable to think others would as well.

Mayyhem

One thing holding me back from getting this is the lack of non-enemy NPCs or hub/town areas. From what I see its just constant killing of enemies. Which I mean is fair since its primarily an action game, but from a game that's "open world" I was hoping to see a little more "life". Oh well, will probably still buy

One thing holding me back from getting this is the lack of non-enemy NPCs or hub/town areas. From what I see its just constant killing of enemies. Which I mean is fair since its primarily an action game, but from a game that's "open world" I was hoping to see a little more "life". Oh well, will probably still buy

There are some other NPCs (albeit not a ton) there are those like the Hunter, and there are tons of slaves running around in mordor for you to free from the Uruks. Not trying to change your mind on the NPCs, just offering some information :)

Justified

OP asked if he should play game despite not liking property its based on. I think the answer is "probably not". Probably not worth his money. I think you're overthinking this the implications of that exchange... but whatever.

And technically this isnt a Lord of the Rings game, its a Middle-Earth game! Semantics though, Buy the game OP!

[NaK];131781131 said:

It's like a mix of Batman: Arkham series and Assassin's Creed on steorids.

thats good to know.

Daft_Cat

That bumped me a bit too, but the more I think on it... the more I feel like this is a rare case where the setting actually offers a pretty good excuse. If you want to recreate the world of Morodor through the eyes of a ranger, you sort of want to make the player feel isolated in a barren wasteland, deep behind enemy lines. That's why Mordor was such a scary place in the films, and it looks like they've nailed that atmosphere in the game.

It's not unlike the jungles in MGS3. Walking into a small Vietnamese village to converse and buy some ammo from local villagers would probably feel at odds with the mood/scenario.

Dr Dogg

Edmund and Loxley posting in here can only be a good sign.

they do in the UK and we fucking hate it

I don't know sometimes it works in our favor. Creative Assembly have pretty much always released the Total War games in the UK before everywhere else. Resident Evil 4 on Steam came out in the UK before every other territory by a few hours.

I just don't really understand those kinds of posts. They come up in every single review thread.

"I don't enjoy this property- like.. at all. But this is getting good reviews and everyone's hyped so convince me to drop 60 bucks." I'm probably even guilty of this if you dig far enough into my post history.

...Even if you enjoy one of the core gameplay systems, you probably won't be floored by a game based on a property you don't enjoy. If you don't gel with the IP aesthetically or emotionally, your money is probably better spent on something else.

A good game is a good game. I'm not a LOTR guy at all but I want this game. I love Monolith, and a good action RPG is something I'm craving at the moment

Sephzilla

[NaK];131781131 said:

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

I dunno, the visuals look pretty good based on those screens

VanWinkle

[NaK];131781131 said:

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

Those look great!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ending spoilers:
Sauron is not defeated by Talion, and yet Talion somehow enables the Fellowship to complete their quest.

I haven't even played the game yet and it's obvious.

The game is set 80 years before Lord of the Rings, Frodo hasn't even been born yet. Try again.

Top Bottom