• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Xbone still have a weird black tint to the games? Forgive for my ignorance if I'm wrong.

Maybe but that's because it also has more contrast and a less washed-out look imo.

Was the same thing with 360 vs. PS3. As someone who has played multiple games on both consoles, I know this isn't in my head.

I have not been keeping up with this at all, so all the good reviews and impressions snuck up on me.

I'm not a fan of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings at all. They've never interested me. So for a guy like me, what`ll get me hooked into this game?

I will not stand for a single dropped frame.

I'm going to throw my PS4 in the trash. I would give it away, but I don't want anyone else to suffer either.

</end-crazy?!>

This game looks hella sweet. Having ignored everything LOTR related since ROTK was in theaters, I'm in the mood to revisit this world.

Alienous

I have not been keeping up with this at all, so all the good reviews and impressions snuck up on me.

I'm not a fan of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings at all. They've never interested me. So for a guy like me, what`ll get me hooked into this game?

The Lord of the Rings really is the basis of 'that' kind of lore, perhaps not inventing it, but certainly popularizing it. It's the kind of fantasy setting that Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age are influenced by.

What I assume will interest you is that the game is doing things that embarrass Ken Levine's efforts, and might actually be a huge step forward in achieving the essence of sandbox gameplay.

cakely

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Xbone still have a weird black tint to the games? Forgive for my ignorance if I'm wrong.

Games that use the default Xbox One upscaler end up with "crushed blacks". As far as I know, this doesn't affect native 1080p games.

Also, some Xbox One games use a custom upscaler that doesn't have this issue.

ironcreed

Banned

67711-what-did-you-say-bubbles-gif-avZD.gif

Voidance

Dat working man's tint.

On topic: as a pretty big LOTR fan, I am excited for this game. I tried to keep my expectations low leading up to the reviews, but all the good press has broken the hype bottle open. Hnng!

addyb

Really can't wait for this now. The nemesis system Looks great. I'll be honest when I first saw footage of this last year I thought it looked good but would probably be a bit of a let down. I'm a lotr fan as well. Well all I can say is I now can't wait for this. I've got to lvl 20 on Destiny and have no inclination to carry on besides the odd crucible session with my mates. Soo I needed another lone wolf game and this will certainly fit the bill. I seem to be getting more a witcher vibe from this and not AC.

Looking at the combat it seems a bit batman esque. Would that be fair to say?

Daft_Cat

Oh man. I guess I knew this game was going to be great, but I figured I'd have the willpower to hold off until the holidays. Now I'm not so sure.

Probably not much. Don't play it.

Oh man. I guess I knew this game was going to be great, but I figured I'd have the willpower to hold off until the holidays. Now I'm not so sure.

Probably not much. Don't play it.

There is a good chance you could find the nemesis system interesting and the combat fun. I have a friend who doesn't really care much for batman but he loves the arkham games. They are just fun games to him. Rent/gamefly/borrow from a friend and try it out. You may love it.

Daft_Cat

There is a good chance you could find the nemesis system interesting and the combat fun. I have a friend who doesn't really care much for batman but he loves the arkham games. They are just fun games to him. Rent/gamefly/borrow from a friend and try it out. You may love it.

I just don't really understand those kinds of posts. They come up in every single review thread.

"I don't enjoy this property- like.. at all. But this is getting good reviews and everyone's hyped so convince me to drop 60 bucks." I'm probably even guilty of this if you dig far enough into my post history.

...Even if you enjoy one of the core gameplay systems, you probably won't be floored by a game based on a property you don't enjoy. If you don't gel with the IP aesthetically or emotionally, your money is probably better spent on something else.

Raxious

I wanna pre-order it from the US store seeing as it's cheaper, but if I were to get a season pass I'll be unable to use it on my EU account right? ( And no, I'm not gonna be playing on a US account ;) )

Mupod

Really nice to see Monolith back on track. Although if this does really well I suppose they'll be making more LOTR games instead of another FEAR or Shogo

Levyne

Banned
I was looking around trying to "confirm confirm" that the PC release is international and found this CVG article saying that too. Hopefully they've got good information.

They hit the 60fps target on PS4 on this game out of curiosity? If not I might go PC.

It seems like 60 fps with drops...but I haven't seen an in depth analysis yet.

I just don't really understand those kinds of posts. They come up in every single review thread.

"I don't enjoy this property- like.. at all. But this is getting good reviews and everyone's hyped so convince me to drop 60 bucks." I'm probably even guilty of this if you dig far enough into my post history.

...Even if you enjoy one of the core gameplay systems, you probably won't be floored by a game based on a property you don't enjoy. If you don't gel with the IP aesthetically or emotionally, your money is probably better spent on something else.

That's absurd. To say that every property is a single monolithic entity that is tonally, aesthetically, and thematically identical across iterations is disingenuous. To use an example, the campy Batman of the original TV series is so far removed from a work like The Killing Joke that they might as well be different brands. You can not enjoy the former and very much appreciate the latter.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that the LotR movies turned you off, but be really excited for what this game does with the lore to tell a different type of story. I know I fall into that category.

Daft_Cat

That's absurd. To say that every property is a single monolithic entity that is tonally, aesthetically, and thematically identical across iterations is disingenuous. To use an example, the campy Batman of the original TV series is so far removed from a work like The Killing Joke that they might as well be different brands. You can not enjoy the former and very much appreciate the latter.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that the LotR movies turned you off, but be really excited for what this game does with the lore to tell a different type of story. I know I fall into that category.

Your example doesn't work here because this game is aesthetically and tonally very similar to Jackson's LoTR trilogy, which is logic I was definitely channelling. I never said "every property is a single monolithic entity," nor did I imply it.

That poster asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. I don't think he should spend 60 dollars on this game if he doesn't like Lord of the Rings. I've been in his shoes before for other hyped games that I kind of knew weren't really for me. In nearly all of those situations, I've regretted my purchase afterwards.

I don't fully agree with this. I'm not much of a Batman fan, but the gameplay was just very satisfying.
Killing Orks yourself in a well responsive and visually pleasing way is entirely different from watching a movie.
It's the gameplay that matters.

Daft_Cat

I don't fully agree with this. I'm not much of a Batman fan, but the gameplay was just very satisfying.
Killing Orks yourself in a well responsive and visually pleasing way is entirely different from watching a movie.
It's the gameplay that matters.

Not for me... at least not exclusively. If I don't connect with the experience emotionally or aesthetically, gameplay only takes the experience so far. It can be the difference between a game I simply "enjoyed while it lasted" and an experience that really sinks its claws into me on multiple levels. For me, only the latter is fully worth the price tag.

My opinion is that the poster should hold off. At least wait for a price cut. Clearly the bias ITT is not to make a recommendation that isn't just blindly hyping the shit out of this to anyone and everyone like a used car salesman, so whatever.

Levyne

Banned
Clearly the bias ITT is not to make a recommendation that isn't just blindly hyping the shit out of this to anyone and everyone like a used car salesman, so whatever.

Dunno if this matters but I agree with you that if you didn't/don't care for the current flavor of LotR (or LotR at all) then you should wait for impressions and not get hyped blindly.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah I bought lotr Extended Edition a week and a bit ago (Just got into collecting blu-rays haha) but have just watched Fellowship thus far.

Your example doesn't work here because this game is aesthetically and tonally very similar to Jackson's LoTR trilogy, which is logic I was definitely channelling. I never said "every property is a single monolithic entity," nor did I imply it.

That poster asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. I don't think he should spend 60 dollars on this game if he doesn't like Lord of the Rings. I've been in his shoes in similar situations when great reviews are flooding in for a hyped game I know isn't really my type. In nearly all of those situations, I've regretted it afterwards.

I don't see the tonal similarity at all. The movies are saccharine tales of traveling and battling in fellowship, in which the enemy is a detached "great evil" without characterization. Talion's story is a tragic one of a personal vendetta, with distinct antagonists that have personalities to be engaged with, rather than a faceless enemy to be annihilated. The gulf may not be as wide as my earlier example, but the differences are clear enough for the two to be judged separately.

Your opinion wasn't "I don't like LotR, I won't like this", it was "nobody who doesn't like LotR will like this." The latter is a lot less defensible.

The crazy thing is I'm still super addicted to Diablo 3.... What the hell am I going to do when I have both of them sitting in front of my PS4???

Raptor

The crazy thing is I'm still super addicted to Diablo 3.... What the hell am I going to do when I have both of them sitting in front of my PS4???

If you are super addicted to Diablo 3 like me there is no reason at all to get Mordor now, is not like it will be sold out for months, I will buy this new for full price or half price at black friday but there is no reason for me to get now since all I Want to do is bounties and get better loot on d3 :p

Jira

At one point, I defeated a smaller Orc captain named Norsko of the Welts with a single arrow shot through his eye. The next time Norsko showed up, he had a metal plate over that same eye and promised revenge for the injury.

In another instance, I became overwhelmed and ran away from a berserker named Ratanak the Thunderer. Every time Ratanak and I crossed paths afterward, he was certain to remind me of my cowardice. He even developed a trait that made him more likely to hunt me down of his own volition, which led him to popping up at the worst times, trying to impede my progress mid-mission. It would have been frustrating if it wasn't so damn cool.

My hype cannot be contained.

Anyone beat the game yet? I don't really intend on buying this, but as a Tolkien fan I'm curious as to who the final boss is and what happens to Talion and Celebrimbor

BouncyFrag

Well I got $40 from my Destiny trade in towards this so that worked out as well as I could of hoped.
*awkwardly waves farewell to Bungie whilst avoiding eye contact*
*sighs*

Top Bottom