• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ok this is bought.

Anyone else getting some Vikings vibes from this?

VikingBFAcover.jpg

Very much enjoyed Viking and this seems similar, especially since you accumulate "armies".

Bad7667

Ummmmmm what is wrong with that?

It helps you determine where you need to go. Should the game not try to be helpful?
There is being helpful and then there is telling you exactly where you need to go without having to pay attention to the game.

Not saying this game is like that but thats the reason I hate markers.

Siegmeyer

I'm on the brink of pre-ordering this, I need something new after the disappointment of Destiny. Was just wondering if there is any other aspect to the game other than the combat?

From videos it looks pretty fun, but all I've seen is combat and I'm worried it'll get a bit samey.

Levyne

Banned
do we need to preorder from store for that?

I..am not entirely sure. I tried asking the Monolith Twitter but no response. They are exclusive to the "Legion Edition". I think that it's digital only, unless there's some sort of redemption code packed into the retail Playstation cases (or it's already on those disks)?

The version on the psn store right now is the legion edition and is worded "Pre-order Middle-earth™: Shadow of Mordor™ Legion Edition now and get access to The Legion Edition missions, The Dark Ranger character skin, and Test of Power Challenge Mode as a bonus"

But it could just be talking about pre-ordering being necessary for the Dark Ranger / Test of Power. It's not really clear :(

Ramenman

Gameplay looks a lot like Assassin's Creed. Is that correct?

Does anyone have a list of known enemies? So far all I've really seen is Orcs, Orcs, and more Orcs...

Combat is more like batman, but with "magic powers" and opportunities from the world à la Far Cry 3 (bring animals in with bait, liberate them from cages, take control of them).

As someone else said in the thread, it looks like AC because you can climb walls and do air stabs but that's about it.

then there's the meta layer, intel + nemesis system (which isn't just procedural generation of enemies) means you can really plot ahead how you want to take on warchiefs, like for example if you've got those orcs that go up the ranks after you've branded them, can make them become bodyguards of a warchief, and turn them on him at the last moment. There are several steps to that, you can change your mind along the way, take up opportunities, etc, and it can also go horribly wrong, because you're not the only one who decides what happens in the hierarchy. I feel this could really adds another layer of evil plans and craftiness if you care enough to have fun with it.

As for "there is only Orc ennemies", (but that's just my opinion), I feel it would be like saying that in Arkham games there is "only human ennemies". Their race doesn't really matter, the important is that there are different archetypes (in Batman : dude that you can't vault over, dude that you have to stun first, dude that can fire from range, etc.), and it's also the case here.
Actually you can consider all Orcs in the hierarchy to be procedurally generated enemy archetypes, because that's what they are from a combat point of view, so for me it's more than enough.

Loxley

Ok this is bought.

Anyone else getting some Vikings vibes from this?

VikingBFAcover.jpg

Such an underrated game, shame it didn't do well for Creative Assembly :( I guess I see the similarities, although much as I hope there's a point SoM where you charge into an army of hundreds of Orcs, I doesn't look like the enemy crowds will get to be that large.

nynt9

Such an underrated game, shame it didn't do well for Creative Assembly :( I guess I see the similarities, although much as I hope there's a point SoM where you charge into an army of hundreds of Orcs, I doesn't look like the enemy crowds will get to be that large.

I think I recall the devs saying that there can be 60 enemies onscreen in the AMA.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I got my copy pre-ordered, so I'm all set to go next week.

I haven't been following the game too crazy, but I did watch a 30 minute gameplay video that looked like a lot of fun, and pretty much sold me on the game. My expectations are in check, but Monolith is a solid developer, and the game looks great.

Jolkien

Let's see how amazon canada handle release day delivery. Pre-ordered way back around E3 when Amazon had every game at 59$ instead of 69$ (the regular CAD$ price).

Can't wait to play it looks pretty fun.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I..am not entirely sure. I tried asking the Monolith Twitter but no response. They are exclusive to the "Legion Edition". I think that it's digital only, unless there's some sort of redemption code packed into the retail Playstation cases (or it's already on those disks)?

The version on the psn store right now is the legion edition and is worded "Pre-order Middle-earth™: Shadow of Mordor™ Legion Edition now and get access to The Legion Edition missions, The Dark Ranger character skin, and Test of Power Challenge Mode as a bonus"

But it could just be talking about pre-ordering being necessary for the Dark Ranger / Test of Power. It's not really clear :(

If it is, I'll cancel my pre order from thegamecollection and get it from the us store

Traded in Destiny and got my pre-order down on this and TEW today. Good times, can't wait.
I honestly wish I bought a physical copy of Destiny so I could do this.

Bums me the hell out.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I'll probably get it on pc with that GMG coupon.

Levyne

Banned
Whoever is running their twitter is having some fun.

0T7XCxa.png

3hOcf0O.png

Not the cleverest stuff in the world at least they are enjoying themselves,

Edit:

QqGIDub.png

Still not entirely sold on this, From the footage I've seen the enemies kinda just stand around waiting for their turn to die.

Any videos show more active AI behavior? maybe higher Difficulty settings increase Attack frequency...

It's the same thing that turns me off the AC games.

Whoever is running their twitter is having some fun.

begging.png[IMG]
[IMG]firstphotoshopattempt.png[IMG]

Not the cleverest stuff in the world at least they are enjoying themselves,

Edit:

[IMG]imstillrelevant.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Alright, orcs... you got me. I'll kill you all for these offenses.

(What do you do when you've got no marketing budget? SPAM TWITTER! #protip)

The combat looks great, but really, what the hell is this game about (aside from completely wrecking waves of orcs)?? I mean, sweet tech demo, but are there npcs? Other locations? Skill progressions? Every gif I see shows this guy killtacular a group of unfortunate orcs lol.

b0bbyJ03

Pre-Ordered this sucker on Nuuvem for $29... I've used the site so i know its legit. they send you a steam key. Only thing that sucks is that its in Portuguese so i had to take all the text and put it into google translate but its worth it considering the price.

Ricker

Bothers me that this game is 20 bucks more on consoles...Steam has it for 49...wanted to play this on my PS4...sigh...guess I will wait for impressions or rent it on PS4 then grab it on PC at 49 if its good.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bothers me tha this game is 20 bucks more on consoles...Steam has it for 49...wanted to play this on my PS4...sigh...guess I will wait for impressions or rent it on PS4 then grab it on PC at 49 if its good.

consoles will always be 20 more :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I swear I saw some hate being thrown destiny's way from the SoM Twitter. Was that real or am I dreamlng?

antitrop

Pre-Ordered this sucker on Nuuvem for $29... I've used the site so i know its legit. they send you a steam key. Only thing that sucks is that its in Portuguese so i had to take all the text and put it into google translate but its worth it considering the price.

I feel like Chrome's auto-translate would have made that much easier...

Still not entirely sold on this, From the footage I've seen the enemies kinda just stand around waiting for their turn to die.

Any videos show more active AI behavior? maybe higher Difficulty settings increase Attack frequency...

It's the same thing that turns me off the AC games.

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima/b/570152365

Starts around 44 mins in. The guy playing tries going straight for the war chief that is higher leveled, instead of working his way up through the hierarchy. Starts out good, but gets OWNED.

The combat looks great, but really, what the hell is this game about (aside from completely wrecking waves of orcs)?? I mean, sweet tech demo, but are there npcs? Other locations? Skill progressions? Every gif I see shows this guy killtacular a group of unfortunate orcs lol.

Yes. To all those questions. It seems they are intentional not showing the story beats because they don't want to spoil anything for anyone. Which I think is great. Most game preview footage will pretty much show off the entire game before it even comes out.

Top Bottom