• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

h2gaQF0

Anyone else getting this?

From what I've heard, that's the pre-load date.

ldcommando

Banned
Knew nothing about this game, saw some videos because of the OT and now I´m hyped as fuck. Brb, pre-ordering real quick.

This looks so promising. Can't wait. I hope this and Alien Isolation do well sales wise.

Me too, I feel kind of guilty because between Shadow of Mordor and Alien: Isolation, I have paid $1 total for them both lol. I won SoM in a giveaway and got Alien from one of the AMD Never Settle bundle codes that sold on newegg for $1 a few weeks ago.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I care just enough about Lord of the Rings to hate the premise for this game. It sounds like the worst sort of Force Unleashed level bullshit.

I would imagine that Edmond Dantès shivers, without knowing why, any time someone within a five hundred mile radius mentions this game.

I still don't know if this game is going to turn out good enough for me to ignore the dumb fiction, but we'll see.
Scholar I may be, but such things are always of interest to me. I treat all new Tolkien related media the same; with open-mindedness (as any scholar should), whether it be new editions of the novels, critical analysis from within the community, films, drama, music, art and videogames too.

I always remind my peers in the scholarly community of the following words of Tolkien:

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands wielding paint and music and drama."

Are the writers at Monolith wrong for injecting their own ideas into the mythos? Or are they taking heed of Tolkien's words to future generations? I lean to the latter in such matters. Of course the manner in which people add to the mythos and the merits of these additions should be scrutinized and analysed.

Excellent OT Levyne and co. Certainly worthy of a place amongst Tolkien GAF's best efforts.

liezryou

Reading this thread makes me have faith in my purchase (that nemesis feature looks really cool). Yes i pre-ordered this simply because it was lord of the rings :D.

WITHE1982

Very nice OT and I'm also a fan of the title.

I've had this game pre-ordered for months now so I'm super excited for it. I'm a massive Tolkien fan but also think the movies are quite good and it looks to me as though Monolith are going to do both justice.

Oh and to christen the OT here's a very long, long GIF:

tumblr_namdkyQJl61sjg63mo1_400.gif

Edmond Dantès;131295239 said:
Are the writers at Monolith wrong for injecting their own ideas into the mythos? Or are they taking heed of Tolkien's words to future generations? I lean to the latter in such matters. Of course the manner in which people add to the mythos and the merits of these additions should be scrutinized and analysed.

What is it about this particular game that offends the lore-invested people so much? I've seen far more cavalier attitudes to canon in other games. I suppose it's the deep reverence for Tolkien's opus but the developers have consistently expressed how much they share this reverence. There are lots of counter-intuitive design decisions that show respect for the source material, for instance the lack of treasure and loot - you have your set of personal weapons and infuse them with your memories and history, like the artifacts in the books. I'm hard-pressed to come up with a game adaptation that doesn't greatly deviate from Tolkien... maybe the Melbourne House text adventure?

Every stage production of a Shakespeare play puts a few twists on the source material and many of the recent ones are really far out there... why is that acceptable but games should be slavishly faithful?

Yes, Monolith plays loose with the timeline and the art direction (which is blatantly inspired by the Jackson movies rather than the source.) But when you zoom in on those deviations, they're minor - Gollum not being where he should be and Orcs being taller and talking differently etc. Celebrimbor as a wraith being able to imbue someone with life and power is something invented from wholecloth but it seems they explain this well using lore where approrpirate. Those criticisms feel nitpciky to me.

Having said that, the most controversial part to me is the tone, particularly the glorification of carnage and domination, themes that Tolkien firmly associates with the bad guys. However, I've not played the game yet and have hope that the writers added a dimension of tragedy to Talion's thirst for power and revenge, to bring it more in line with the message of the books.

Theoretically, they could end with us pounding the Dark Lord into the ground during a thrilling boss battle and the War of the Ring need never take place... somehow, I doubt the developers have taken that many liberties.

TLDR; I have faith in the developers to balance canon with a fresh take on Middle-Earth.

Does anyone know whatever came of this? I remember hearing about it but not if it actually uses AC stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fo...sing-code-from-assassin-s-creed/1100-6417307/
He didn't come up with any evidence that the exact code and animations were lifted from AC 2, so nothing came of it. The developers probably laughed off his accusations and didn't deem it worth a reply.

If there are any animations or things lifted, it's from Batman like the jump over animation and they've consistently said Arkham games are an influence so they could even share code since they're all under WB games. Can see similarities to AC animations, but nothing that is a direct copy.

Loxley

I was surprised to see it was Liam O'Brien providing the voice for Gollum, I would have never guessed it was the same guy who did Illidan on World of Warcraft.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What is it about this particular game that offends the lore-invested people so much? I've seen far more cavalier attitudes to canon in other games. I suppose it's the deep reverence for Tolkien's opus but the developers have consistently expressed how much they share this reverence. There are lots of counter-intuitive design decisions that show respect for the source material, for instance the lack of treasure and loot - you have your set of personal weapons and infuse them with your memories and history, like the artifacts in the books. I'm hard-pressed to come up with a game adaptation that doesn't greatly deviate from Tolkien... maybe the Melbourne House text adventure?

Every stage production of a Shakespeare play puts a few twists on the source material and many of the recent ones are really far out there... why is that acceptable but games should be slavishly faithful?

Yes, Monolith plays loose with the timeline and the art direction (which is blatantly inspired by the Jackson movies rather than the source.) But when you zoom in on those deviations, they're minor - Gollum not being where he should be and Orcs being taller and talking differently etc. Celebrimbor as a wraith being able to imbue someone with life and power is something invented from wholecloth but it seems they explain this well using lore where approrpirate. Those criticisms feel nitpciky to me.

Having said that, the most controversial part to me is the tone, particularly the glorification of carnage and domination, themes that Tolkien firmly associates with the bad guys. However, I've not played the game yet and have hope that the writers added a dimension of tragedy to Talion's thirst for power and revenge, to bring it more in line with the message of the books.

Theoretically, they could end with us pounding the Dark Lord into the ground during a thrilling boss battle and the War of the Ring need never take place... somehow, I doubt the developers have taken that many liberties.

TLDR; I have faith in the developers to balance canon with a fresh take on Middle-Earth.
Of course there are those who hold the Legendarium as a work that shouldn't be tampered with and some of the more advanced readers are aware of Tolkien's views that if contributions are to be made, such contributions should be purged of the 'gross' and should be categorised as 'high literature'. Just what Tolkien meant by 'gross' and high literature' is up for debate, but one must have regard to his scathing review of the Zimmerman Lord of the Rings script when determining the philologist's exact meaning.

Fans, authors, artists, filmmakers (aware of Tolkien's feelings on such matters) who wish to elaborate on his creation have taken such comments (as detailed above) as an invitation to play in the universe he created, which of course creates tension with the purists who believe Tolkien's works to be untouchable. Why do they think of the works as untouchable? Why are they so diametrically opposed to those who accept alterations and additions to the universe with a mind towards compromise? One wonders. The sullying of Tolkien's works perhaps? But the original works continue to exist and do not become obsolete. Perhaps worrying that first exposures to the work may be compromised if people choose other mediums and elaborations over the originals. Approaching an original work with preconceived notions may or may not have such an effect. But throughout my years as a Tolkien scholar, I've seen a great hunger manifest itself in people after the initial exposure to Tolkien which results in them actively seeking out the original works and that can only be a good thing.

You touched upon one of the criticisms regarding the glorification of themes that Tolkien found abhorrent. A compromise considering the medium and the genre of the game. Other alterations/additions have either been alluded to or explored to some extent in the Legendarium, so credit to Monolith's writers if they have noticed these.

One thing is certain, such things can galvanise the community (for example; see the Ace paperback debacle of the sixties).

Drewfonse

Scholar I may be, but such things are always of interest to me. I treat all new Tolkien related media the same; with open-mindedness (as any scholar should), whether it be new editions of the novels, critical analysis from within the community, films, drama, music, art and videogames too.

I always remind my peers in the scholarly community of the following words of Tolkien:

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands wielding paint and music and drama."

Excellent OT Levyne and co. Certainly worthy of a place amongst Tolkien GAF's best efforts.

So much scholariness in this post. Too much.

Can't wait for this game.

Dragon

Banned
Very nice OT and I'm also a fan of the title.

I've had this game pre-ordered for months now so I'm super excited for it. I'm a massive Tolkien fan but also think the movies are quite good and it looks to me as though Monolith are going to do both justice.

Oh and to christen the OT here's a very long, long GIF:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/7d4cf9b0616c0fad40b24e7d803b10e4/tumblr_namdkyQJl61sjg63mo1_400.gif

Oh sweet it has hate speech in it. Wonderful.

Hahaah this is fantastic! TeamBoromir for life!

Seems like I'm the only one who cares that GIF contains the word 'retarded' five million times and the word 'faggot'.

im subbing this thread for now to read impression. i got bills to pay which happens to be around the time the game comes out. we'll see. any word on a demo?

Grief.exe

I always browse and post in pre-release OTs and hype threads, but I am always very careful about what I read and click on.

Like to go into these games knowing as little as possible. I find it is more of an interesting experience if I don't know every facet of a game prior to jumping in.

ironcreed

Banned

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

UberTag

The early review embargo lift date just makes me more optimistic.
This is the kind of game that could really be bolstered by high scores and strong word-of-mouth.

I had no clue that Garry Schyman was composing this game. I absolutely loved the music in BioShock. I cannot wait to see what he does here!

Top Bottom