• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Stormus

If this game gets good reviews, I'll have no choice but to pick it up. The dev team said they were inspired by Skyrim, which was one of the my favorite RPGs of the last decade. So that's promising.

JodokusK

please be good, please be good, please be good!

Played it again today at the local WB office. Don't know what you're expecting from the game, but I think LOTR is boring as fuck and I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game twice. As far as I can tell (still don't have the review copy in) it holds up.

Sojgat

Can't believe I have to wait another two weeks for this (Australia). At least I'll know for sure what to expect.

loading.gif

Everyone upset about this game playing a little fast and loose with established canon should look back at The Third Age (actually still quite a fun FFX clone) and Lord of the Rings: Conquest (a big pile of rubbish) and be thankful we're getting what we're getting.

Conquest had a mage class. A MAGE CLASS

antitrop

Everyone upset about this game playing a little fast and loose with established canon should look back at The Third Age (actually still quite a fun FFX clone) and Lord of the Rings: Conquest (a big pile of rubbish) and be thankful we're getting what we're getting.

Man, of all the Final Fantasy games to make a LOTR clone out of... they picked X. As baffling today as it was in 2004.

zkorejo

If this game gets good reviews, I'll have no choice but to pick it up. The dev team said they were inspired by Skyrim, which was one of the my favorite RPGs of the last decade. So that's promising.

IDK why they said that, from what I have seen and read about the game.. its absolutely nothing like Skyrim.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Haven't watched much stuff on this one, but I'm gunna blind buy it and expect the best.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can someone explain warband missions? I see some are preorder exclusives, some are platform exclusives and some are DLC only. Are warbands led by certain targets as we have seen in the nemesis videos? And in effect, extra warband misions make the nemesis system wider?

VanWinkle

For some reason I thought this was current-gen only. Alright, still interested. Will wait for reviews and GAFfers' impressions.

The last gen versions are being ported by another developer and probably won't have all the functionality/features the current gen versions have.

Sorry, but if you're looking for this game to be similar to Skyrim I think you'll be disappointed.

Levyne

Banned
Sorry, having a busy day at work and can't spend a ton of time answering questions.

It seems like the embargo is the 26th at 12:01 but the one Dtoid tweet said a day earlier.

I tried to make the pre-order /dlc mission type stuff pretty clear at the bottom of the OT. It's no Watch Dogs, but still a little messy. PS4 and PS3 (digital only?) preorders get two exclusive missions.

The last gen versions are made by a different developer all together and were significantly delayed, so I feel the current gen /pc versions aren't really compromised to a significant extent by a game being "cross gen". Though I suppose we'll see when we have all the versions to compare.

Loxley

Not to mention the final boss fight of The Third Age had you literally fighting the Eye of Sauron. Yeah, as in you ran up to the Eye and whacked it with your sword.

antitrop

Sorry, but if you're looking for this game to be similar to Skyrim I think you'll be disappointed.

I think Assassin's Creed+ looks fairly apt.

I really don't like Assassin's Creed and this still looks absolutely fantastic to me, though.

Not to mention the final boss fight of The Third Age had you literally fighting the Eye of Sauron. Yeah, as in you ran up to the Eye and whacked it with your sword.
That's completely badass.

Preordered this at Best Buy. I got the Gamers Club unlocked thing, so I may as well use it.

So long as the game garners fairly good reviews I'll bite on this.

Not the biggest Tolkien fan, but the game has promise and potential.

ced

I really hate the objective markers in games, but I'm holding out hope I can get over it. The constant interruptions to combat look horrible as well.

majik13

has there been any word if there will be special vita remote play controls, or how well vita remote play will work on this?

owlbeak

Haven't read a whole lot about this game but have loved what I have seen so I pre-ordered it. Hoping it turns out great. Luckily the review embargo being up on the 26th gives me plenty of time to cancel if it sucks, but with it being that early, I have high hopes!

qirex

I'm hoping this is actually as good as the hype is bearing out, the early previews showed more of a stealth approach but then the parts I watched in that long video was mostly just whacking dozens of dudes in an open field.

also Third Age was actually pretty good dumb fun, it was a huge loot fountain and you got to see you characters wearing it. Plus the FFX combat system is probably my favorite ever, I like figuring out optimum attack order and stun and haste/slow can swing combat a ton.

The plot was a mess and yeah the ending was cheesy but hitting Sauron with a sword was funny.

I think Assassin's Creed+ looks fairly apt.

I really don't like Assassin's Creed and this still looks absolutely fantastic to me, though.

That's completely badass.

I think it would be wrong comparing it to Assassin's Creed too. Okay, there's an air stealth kill and towers. Combat is straight up Batman while the nemesis system seems pretty damn original. They really haven't shown much of the story.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I just noticed that the old gen versions come out in November, which is fine. It will make a nice Christmas gift and I wouldn't have been able to hold out if it was dropping next week.

Top Bottom