• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

shandy706

Just signed up for EA Access for the first time. This looks awesome, all these "free" games and free trials. I'm definitely going to go ahead and try Catalyst.

LiK

Amazon hasn't shipped out the CE at all. They even had me approve the delay in my order. The hell...

Cracklox

I'd say there's somewhere in the vicinity of a 100% chance of picking this up down the track. Loved the 1st game, and from memory it had a pretty similar reception from the critics, ie middling, so I'm not reading much into that. Reception here seems pretty positive so far too.

Still have to finish UC4, and then on to 2 Witcher 3 DLC's, and then I'll prob look at grabbing this. Hopefully by that time the price will have come down some too

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Got a little bit further than the closed beta and I'm really looking forward to exploring this new area. Definitely denser than the first 2 but very pretty. And so many more Dashes to be potentially distracted by (that OvenDonkey shoutout :D)... but I'm gonna try to focus on the story before getting sucked into that inevitable time trial vortex.

I'm surprised that Nomad's Run has such a different 3-star time compared to the beta though, wonder if I have to go back to that with more skills later on or if I just totally missed a shortcut...

Also, wanted to see if anyone else noticed slight differences in the mechanics. I've been talking about it with Blizzard, but would be cool to get some other confirmation. :p

- Fall distance isn't instantly reset by touching a slightly elevated area like before... if you only take 1 or 2 steps on a surface then step off onto a lower one, you'll still get a stumble/hard fall
- Bhopping (repeated coil jumping) to go faster than running is gone? It seems like the window for immediately jumping after a coil jump is tighter, especially if you try to do it more than twice in a row
- Getting through small openings (like windows) is a bit more consistent, though I still wanna know how to trigger the really fast animation that propels you forward instead of the normal climbing through
- Faith seems more grab-happy, you have to hold down-action/coil longer in the air to keep her from initiating a climb in more situations

On the whole, the subtle changes are positives in my book.

Man, I really want to play more... go away, work. >.<

Nowise10

Posted this in the review thread because I didn't know their was an OT, I think it would probably be a better fit here

It is frustrating to me how DICE really really casualized the entire game. I shut runners vision and my HUD off from the get go because I liked trying to solve the parkour puzzles in the first Mirrors Edge without the correct paths being highlighted in red, and have that extra sense of immersion. Unfortunately in this game, even with runners vision disabled, the paths are still highlighted with black footstep marks on everything, or different colors pieces of geometry that easily highlight that you need to go their. Not a single puzzle in the entire game has made me pause and think. I've just being running through room after room, following black footstep marks after black footstep marks, with the occasional janky combat (which is its own topic to discuss...). Along with this complaint, is the game continues to have these obnoxious audio cues from Icarus/ Nathan as if the player can't think for themselves for more then 5 seconds. Yes, Icarus, I can see the elevator that will take me to the top floor. Just let me play the game. Please.

Dice created an amazing atmosphere and world in the game, and beautiful scenery just like the first game. Unfortunately they lost their touch with gameplay, and it is a shame. This game is in no means a "bad game", but it just isn't the sequel I was hoping for.

Blizzard

Banned
Posted this in the review thread because I didn't know their was an OT, I think it would probably be a better fit here

It is frustrating to me how DICE really really casualized the entire game. I shut runners vision and my HUD off from the get go because I liked trying to solve the parkour puzzles in the first Mirrors Edge without the correct paths being highlighted in red, and have that extra sense of immersion. Unfortunately in this game, even with runners vision disabled, the paths are still highlighted with black footstep marks on everything, or different colors pieces of geometry that easily highlight that you need to go their. Not a single puzzle in the entire game has made me pause and think. I've just being running through room after room, following black footstep marks after black footstep marks, with the occasional janky combat (which is its own topic to discuss...). Along with this complaint, is the game continues to have these obnoxious audio cues from Icarus/ Nathan as if the player can't think for themselves for more then 5 seconds. Yes, Icarus, I can see the elevator that will take me to the top floor. Just let me play the game. Please.

Dice created an amazing atmosphere and world in the game, and beautiful scenery just like the first game. Unfortunately they lost their touch with gameplay, and it is a shame. This game is in no means a "bad game", but it just isn't the sequel I was hoping for.
Maybe I'm just dumb since this hasn't been my experience. I got pretty much lost in the whole Shimmering Heights area at night for a while. That first building still confuses me. Possibly several times when I'm hunting for a delivery target or something, I've had to check my map, look at the buildings, and consider possible routes. I'm stuck right now trying to solve the She Loves Me Not delivery.

And yes there are footstep marks in some places, or in other places more subtle clues like lights. But, if you play the dashes (time trials), you will really have to look for non-"casual" paths.

...maybe I just liked the original ME for a different reason than most people? You aren't the first person who has voiced this opinion, so I'm starting to think that I'm the odd one out.

IMO one of the big problems with the original game is that figuring out where to go was too obtuse. It was at odds with the running&#8212;you can't go fast if you don't know where to go in the first place. Runners Vision was underutilized.

The changes they've made in Catalyst seem like a huge improvement in that regard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Along with this complaint, is the game continues to have these obnoxious audio cues from Icarus/ Nathan as if the player can't think for themselves for more then 5 seconds. Yes, Icarus, I can see the elevator that will take me to the top floor. Just let me play the game. Please.

The first game had this problem in a way as well.

A lot of the things people are complaining about are in the first game one way or another.

Blizzard

Banned
Nomad's Run: Getting 3 stars involved getting in the top 5% and getting within 1.25 seconds of the world record time. Yikes.

The first game had this problem in a way as well.

A lot of the things people are complaining about are in the first game one way or another.
It was in the first game too, sadly. "THE TRAIN FAITH. TAKE THE TRAIN." Repeat each time you fail.

Played a good amount today. I got past where I left off in the closed beta and went to
Anchor, I think?
I really love the look of the place. The colors are great. So far I'm enjoying this quite a bit, though some of the side missions (mainly the diversion ones) are frustrating me. I ended up beating all the ones I had, but I feel like there must be some upgrades I don't have that would help cause I barely had any seconds to spare.

Feep

Banned
The Crystal Valley diversion mission I just successfully completed might be the hardest thing I've done in either Mirror's Edge game. Oh, man.

Blizzard

Banned
Environment spoilers in the last half of the game:

There are both street level and giant sewer areas! Though the street level is a small section.

Glad to see performance got a big boost (PC at least) after the beta, outside of a couple weird issues it's running fantastically now.

Really excited to dig into this. Got pumped all over again the first time you come out onto the rooftops before the title card.

Nizz

Man, wait all this time for a new Mirror's Edge... and there's some kind of awful deadzone/input lag mixed with (always terrible) acceleration on the right analog.

Come the fuck on DICE.
Man, I'm picky about things like this and what you said here worries me. I've seen you post about this kind of thing before and I trust your opinion on this. I hate bad acceleration/deadzone in controls for games. If I can't get down with the controls then I can't enjoy the game. I played Dishonored DE and I didn't like the controls, ended up trading the game in.

TripOpt55

Played this a good amount today. I really like it. It isn't exactly the Mirror's Edge sequel I wanted, but it is pretty damn fun in its own right. There are times when it delivers the same joy as the first game. That "just one more go" feeling you get when you are doing dashes. Or some of the well-designed linear levels. Or those moments of how do I get up there that some of the missions deliver.

There are other things around that core Mirror's Edge greatness I like less. Some of the side missions aren't really my cup of tea. The combat is alright. I still don't think its good, but it only really bothered me the few times. The story is whatever. I'm not sure I'm sold on the open world yet either.

I am a little unsure how to handle runner's vision. I have sort of been switching between none and classic. I'd like to just be able to toggle classic on when I'm trying to get to a mission start point in the open world, but have it off the rest of the time. Sometimes I just want to start the next mission and get there as simply as possible. Whereas I prefer no red when tackling missions/speed runs and the like. Not sure if there is an easier way to do this than just going in and out of the menu to switch it. I wasn't too fond of them basically highlighting the path in one of the story missions I played with yellow either even when I had runner's vision turned off.

That isn't a big deal. Just venting that I'm not sure I've found a sweet spot for that mechanic I guess.

Anyway, having a lot of fun so far with some moments of frustration sprinkled in. I'm happy we got this sequel though. The original was my favorite sort of cult classic type game and I'm happy to get more in some form even if it isn't quite ideal.

Menitta

How is the Mag Rope used? I've been quite curious about that. I can't imagine it's used for really fancy movement options.

Just picked up a certain recording of the ground in Triumvirate Drive about a "special mission".

8ENAsik.gif

I was thinking about buying it on PC but after hearing about EA implementing a fucking archaic drm into this game that only lets you install/play number of times on a computer, it made me feel good that I already got PS4 version pre-ordered instead. Who knows, I might get it on PC if EA pulls their head out of their ass, but that's a big if.

Zojirushi

So does it even make sense to get into time trialing early on or do you realistically need a bunch of upgrades first to do well?

I was thinking about buying it on PC but after hearing about EA implementing a fucking archaic drm into this game that only lets you install/play number of times on a computer, it made me feel good that I already got PS4 version pre-ordered instead. Who knows, I might get it on PC if EA pulls their head out of their ass, but that's a big if.

Isn't it only limited to four hardware changes per day?

Blizzard

Banned
Isn't that a 24-hour limit? I'm pretty anti-DRM and even I thought that was reasonable.

Zojirushi

Well, you should read that thread again...

Feep

Banned
The Anansi mission was indeed great.

You know, of all the things I thought I *wouldn't* be disappointed in, the soundtrack is really starting to bum me out. We heard *incredible* new themes and arrangements in every single trailer...I even really like the Chvrches song...but these songs are *nowhere* to be found in this game. It's all hyper ambient, even moreso than some of my favorite songs in the first (Kate/Shard Puzzle).

But I'm loving all the other stuff, including the CCP fast travel climbing missions. They're great.

SomTervo

Start doing the optional time trials/challenges. Your opinion will quickly pivot.

They are where the real Mirror's Edge Catalyst begins. Signposting will not help you there.

Not to mention the fallacy about objects being highlighted - yes, some climbable/usable objects are coloured, but not just the ONLY one/s to get you to your location. Multiple ones are highlighted to nudge you in several potential directions.

Garland7G

Do I have to make an EA account to change my tag? It already seems ridiculous that they are making me go to the website for such a tedious task.

MattyG

Banned
I've guessed nearly every twist so far. It's just too predictable.

Icarus becomes your buddy after you help him out. Boom.

"Oh no, Noah's dead." Me: No he's not. YUP.

Flashbacks to 'dead' sister. Kruger's daughter is captured. "That's definitely her sister." Bingo.

JGLS

Just a few questions. Is there a dynamic day/night cycle or is it mission based? Did they fix the bug from the beta which made the game crash if using fullscreen on some laptop cards?

Blizzard

Banned
Just a few questions. Is there a dynamic day/night cycle or is it mission based?
It might be both. I think I've noticed morning and evening transitions when roaming the world, but some missions could be locked to a certain time so they look better.

Some of the later areas and missions are outright beautiful.

I'm enjoying being a slow gameplayer. 20 hours in, I'm 70% done the story because I keep doing side stuff and collectibles. :p

NeonBlack

You mean only being able to install on 4 computers in one day? As bad as DRM can be, this isn't very archaic.

Is there a way to unlock markers for all the collectibles on the map? Some of them are pretty hard to find and I'd like to find all the documents at least since they are related to world building.

dan2026

So how is the PS4 version?
I heard the Xbox one is pretty crap (although that is not entirely unexpected on this engine)

Top Bottom