• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grienke has 13k's through 5, which if Dave Sims is to be believed, is only the 4th time a pitcher has had that many strikeouts through 5 in MLB (or AL, wasn't listening) history.

rando14

Grienke has 13k's through 5, which if Dave Sims is to be believed, is only the 4th time a pitcher has had that many strikeouts through 5 in MLB (or AL, wasn't listening) history.

M's have 16 K's through 6. I blame inability to swing a bat properly over Angels pitching quality.

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR SEPTEMBER 25

CURRENT TEAMS THAT HAVE CLINCHED A PLAYOFF SPOT

AMERICAN LEAGUE PLAYOFF TEAMS

NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFF TEAMS
was.png
cin.png
sf.png
atl.png

American League

EAST
LEADER: Yankees
MAGIC NUMBER: 7
Code:
             W         L         GB
Yankees      89        65        ---
Orioles      88        67        1.5
Rays         84        70        5.0

CENTRAL
LEADERS: Tigers/White Sox
MAGIC NUMBER: --
Code:
             W         L         GB
Tigers       82        72        ---
White Sox    82        72        ---

WEST
LEADER: Rangers
MAGIC NUMBER: 5
Code:
             W         L         GB
Rangers      91        63        ---
Athletics    87        67        4.0
Angels       85        69        6.0

WILD CARD
LEADERS: Orioles/Athletics
#1 MAGIC NUMBER: 6
#2 MAGIC NUMBER: 7
Code:
             W         L         GB
Orioles      88        67       +0.5
Athletics    87        67        ---
Angels       85        69        2.0
Rays         84        70        3.0
Tigers       82        72        5.0
White Sox    82        72        5.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Rangers - 8 (2 v OAK, 3 v LAA, 3 @ OAK)

Yankees - 8 (1 @ MIN, 4 @ TOR, 3 v BOS)

Tigers - 8 (2 v KC, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ KC)

White Sox - 8 (1 v CLE, 4 v TB, 3 @ CLE)

Athletics - 8 (2 @ TEX, 3 v SEA, 3 v TEX)

Orioles - 7 (1 v TOR, OFF, 3 v BOS, 3 @ TB)

Angels - 8 (2 v SEA, 3 @ TEX, 3 @ SEA)

Rays - 8 (1 @ BOS, 4 @ CWS, 3 v BOS)

National League

EAST
LEADER: Nationals
MAGIC NUMBER: 5
Code:
             W         L         GB
Nationals    93        61        ---
Braves       89        65        4.0

NL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS
cin.png

NL WEST CHAMPIONS
sf.png

NL WILD CARD CHAMPIONS
atl.png

#2 LEADER: Cardinals
MAGIC NUMBER: 4
Code:
             W         L         GB
Cardinals    84        71        ---
Dodgers      79        75        4.5
Brewers      79        75        4.5
Diamondbacks 78        76        5.5
Phillies     78        76        5.5

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Nationals - 8 (2 @ PHI, 3 @ STL, 3 v PHI)

Reds - 8 (2 v MIL, 3 @ PIT, 3 @ STL)

Giants - 8 (2 v ARI, 3 @ SD, 3 @ LAD)

Braves - 8 (2 v MIA, 3 v NYM, 3 @ PIT)

Cardinals - 7 (1 @ HOU, OFF, 3 v WAS, 3 v CIN)

Brewers - 8 (2 @ CIN, 3 v HOU, 3 v SD)

Dodgers - 8 (2 @ SD, 3 v COL, 3 v SF)

Phillies - 8 (2 v WAS, 3 @ MIA, 3 @ WAS)

Diamondbacks - 8 (2 @ SF, 3 v CHC, 3 v COL)

Is starting the LDS at home worth potentially losing HFA in the LCS? Both the Nats and Reds seem to play well at home and on the road so it seems like a moot point either way, but wouldn't you rather have an edge over a tougher foe instead?

Granted, there's no guarantee that either team makes it out of the LDS but the only way the #1 seed doesn't have HFA in the LDS is if they get swept (in which case the better/hotter team wins regardless). Plus, starting on the road with your best pitchers (against what's probably the 2nd/3rd best pitchers from the WC team) gives the #1 seed a good chance to steal a game or two on the road and suddenly the WC team no longer has any more home games in the series.

May have to check out Eric Gagne's book when it comes out..
He talks about how 80% of his fellow Dodger teammates used HGH. Heard this on my local news just now

harSon

Banned
Pray for the Pirates fellow baseball fans, .500 is there for the taking but the chances are slim as fuck considering our play these last two months.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Derek Lowe for four innings confirmed.
The Twins got 2 hit by Lowe's corpse this season. Putting in Lowe is probably a good idea.

I kind of expected this to happen when they put in Duensing. The guy is a LOOGY. He's not an effective long reliever, and he's certainly not a starter. I'm thrilled the Twins have him coming to camp next year to prep as a starter. Good god.

turnbuckle

I'm thinking it'll be Detroit. Especially if they miss the playoffs this year.

I don't put anything past Illitch. But as a Tigers fan who attends 5-6 games a year, I fear for my life with Hamilton at the plate. One of these day's he's going to kill another fan; the next time being from a tossed bat instead of a tossed ball.

Sanjuro

I think Hamilton stays in the AL. Probably will go to an oddball team like Baltimore. Although realistically it's probably Angels, Twins, White Sox looking at him.

OR

Mest.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
There's a 0% chance Hamiltion will be a Twin. If the Twins are going to spend any FA money (and the hints they've been giving say they're not going to, which is another problem all together) it'll be on pitching. And if they're going to spend it on a position player, it better be a middle infielder. There's just nowhere for them to fit Hamiltion on the team. CF is held down by Span or Revere (though one will likely be traded), the corners will be covered by Willingham, Parmelee, Revere (if they don't trade Span), Mastrioani and it's possible Aaron Hicks and/or Oswaldo Arcia is up sometime next year. 1B & DH is totally packed, too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There's a 0% chance Hamiltion will be a Twin. If the Twins are going to spend any FA money (and the hints they've been giving say they're not going to, which is another problem all together) it'll be on pitching. And if they're going to spend it on a position player, it better be a middle infielder. There's just nowhere for them to fit Hamiltion on the team. CF is held down by Span or Revere (though one will likely be traded), the corners will be covered by Willingham, Parmelee, Revere (if they don't trade Span), Mastrioani and it's possible Aaron Hicks and/or Oswaldo Arcia is up sometime next year. 1B & DH is totally packed, too.

I agree about them not increasing salary but just lol at the notion that any of those guys (let alone all of them) would keep a team from singing Josh Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom