• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
10 years for any player is crazy. 10 years for a player who is over the age of 30, has a history of injury issues and has an off the field issue that has to be monitored at all times is just utterly insane.

So basically Josh Hamilton will be wearing pinstripes next season.

10 years for any player is crazy. 10 years for a player who is over the age of 30, has a history of injury issues and has an off the field issue that has to be monitored at all times is just utterly insane.

So basically Josh Hamilton will be wearing pinstripes next season.

Why the fuck would he come to NY? The Yankees are trying to cut down on payroll. NYC isn't the place for an ex drug addict.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I agree about them not increasing salary but just lol at the notion that any of those guys (let alone all of them) would keep a team from singing Josh Hamilton.
Hamilton is better, sure. But Span & Willingham were 3-4 win players this year. You'd be paying all that money for another, what, 2-3 wins if you're lucky? Not worth the upgrade.

I mean I know the Twins are going to sell Span for peanuts because they undervalue him, but still. I don't think any of these guys are going to be MVP candidates, but they'll be players who will provide surplus value. The outfield & corner players aren't really the problem on the team, that would be the ghastly pitching & middle infield.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Ben Revere has a nice season goin too.
He's got a really nice glove, and a decent BA, but his K:BB ratio is way too high and he has basically no power. He's a great defensive replacement, and he'd be fine hitting at the bottom of the order. He's hitting second and starting every day for the team. Ugh.

And they'll probably trade Span (who's been worth over 2 rWAR than Ben) to make way for Ben to start every day. Since they think they're equally valuable. Uuuuuughhhh.

mernst23

Don't know why the white sox are being thrown out there as a hamilton destination. We've got about 85 million invested already and that's before offering arb to Beckham and picking up Gavin's option. Peavy's walking and we aren't going to pay $$$ for youk so we have a ton of holes and not enough payroll to fill them.

The only scenario that leads to Hamilton going to the W.Sox is if we go deep into the playoffs. And even in that case we'd have to shop off Dunn while his value is high.

rando14

So, who has the best version of WAR? Fangraphs?

WAR is pretty complicated, and FanGraphs and BR both use different formulas. From what I read online, their difference is such:

Baseball Reference seems to weight rWAR calculations more on offensive stats for position players (and less for defense), and on results (sustainable or not) for pitchers (and less on results-predictors).

Fangraphs seem to weight fWAR more on defensive stats than Baseball Reference, and to reward pitchers more for peripherals and predictors than for actual runs allowed.

I prefer FanGraphs but to each his own.

Randy Wolf tore a ligament in his elbow and needs Tommy John surgery. He's out until the 2014 season.

Bill Hall's contract has been purchased and has been added to the O'd 40-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom