• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

So I've slowly started getting into baseball over the summer but still don't get some stuff;

- Are the refs behind the home plate accurate? There have been multiple times where a strike looked like a ball to me and vice-versa. If they aren't, why not use a variant of goal line technology for fairer officiating?

- What age usually seen as a player's prime, and how long can a pro typically play in the MLB?

- Are teams built like in the NBA, NFL and NHL (draft, free agency, etc...)? How long does it usually take to build a contender?

- How upset-prone are the playoff series?

- Where do the stand Jays as a team? All I know is that they've been playing below expectations.

Gannd

Banned
So I've slowly started getting into baseball over the summer but still don't get some stuff;

- Are the refs behind the home plate accurate? There have been multiple times where a strike looked like a ball to me and vice-versa. If they aren't, why not use a variant of goal line technology for fairer officiating?

Yes. The umpire is accurate. He sets the strike zone. Baseball is a game of humanity.
- What age usually seen as a player's prime, and how long can a pro typically play in the MLB?

Usually Late 20's to mid 30's.
- Are teams built like in the NBA, NFL and NBA (draft, free agency, etc...)? How long does it usually take to build a contender?

Unlike the NBA and NFL, baseball has a farm system. There are drafts and free agency but the system is there to build talent. It can take years to build a contender. Baseball doesn't have the same revenue sharing models as other sports.
- Where do the stand Jays as a team? All I know is that they've been playing below expectations.

The Jays haven't done well for years. I miss Joe Carter, too.

rando14

- Are teams built like in the NBA, NFL and NBA (draft, free agency, etc...)? How long does it usually take to build a contender?

From what I know, some MLB Gaffers may correct me...

1) Technically, not always. Often home umpires miss balls and strikes. Also as often, they will designate a part of the plate a ball all game when it's a strike (ex the bottom of the strike zone), or vice versa. Pitchers need to realize how to work around it. They don't use any overruling technology, as far as I know, because of tradition or some bullshit like that.

2) Prime can vary, but usually it's the twenties. There are certain players who can excel in their 30s, but upper 30 is the breaking point. Rarely players play in their 40s. Roger Clemens and Jamie Moyers are very rare examples of old pitchers.

3) Baseball has a farm system and a draft system. Building a contender is a very complicated process, can't explain it quickly.

4) Very very very upset-prone. It's great.

5) Jays suck. They've been at the mercy of key injuries this year, especially their star hitter Jose Bautista.

Gannd

Banned
As long as the A's win, I don't mind the Angels beating the Rangers. I just want the M's to take the smack out of the Angels next week.

Gannd

Banned
From what I know, some MLB Gaffers may correct me...

1) Technically, not always. Often home umpires miss balls and strikes. Also as often, they will designate a part of the plate a ball all game when it's a strike (ex the bottom of the strike zone), or vice versa. Pitchers need to realize how to work around it. They don't use any overruling technology, as far as I know, because of tradition or some bullshit like that.

It's not "tradition" it's the game.

cashman

Banned

lol

Typically 26-31 are the prime years for a position player, and a player should still be pretty productive until age 35. Although, the big power hitters that can't really hit for average half aren't as productive for long.

- Are teams built in a process comparable to the NBA, NFL and NBA (draft, free agency, etc...)? How long does it take to build a contender?

The most effective way to build a team is to develop a good farm system. It's the easiest way to get good young cheap and controllable talent on the team. Building through Free Agency isn't really a good solution long term because the best players will demand a lot of years and a lot of guaranteed money. At the end of those contracts you'll have somebody who's past their prime and unproductive making like 20+ million dollars a year.

I should mention the best way to build up a farm system is through drafts, amateur signings in Latin America, or trading veterans to playoff contending teams.

They have one of the best farm systems and decent young talent, but they are in a tough division and injuries to their pitching staff really hurt them. I'm sure there are other things. Jays-gaf knows better than me.

Very upset prone. Baseball in general has a lot of randomness in it, and crazy things can happen in short 5-7 game series. The team with the best regular season record has only won the World Series 3 times since 1998

All umps have different zones so for some umps a ball might be a strike and vice versa. Late 20s early 30s for prime probably. This is when they have some experience but still are young enough to play hard. There is a draft and free agency but usually teams take a little bit to build up to contend however pretty much any team can get hot and win it. It's more abou surviving the summer and getting hot in September. Playoffs can be upset prone. I feel like the field I'd tighter in MLB playoffs than something like the nfl.

Snakeyes

Thanks for the replies brehs. A bit surprised by the strike zone being slightly different for every ump but I guess it's kind of like some refs being harsher than others in soccer. The rest sounds pretty good and I'll probably follow the playoffs a bit.

Sucks to hear that the Jays are not very competitive but it sounds like they've at least made some progress lately, unlike other *cough* Raptors *cough* Toronto teams.

Well if Oakland does make it, gonna be fun watching infielders trying to catch them groundballs. Sebass gonna leave divots all over the place..lol

Chipper admitted after the game he was way too emotional to be playing and thinks a lot of the guys were a little too overhyped as well.

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR SEPTEMBER 28

CURRENT PLAYOFF TEAMS

AMERICAN LEAGUE PLAYOFF TEAMS

NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFF TEAMS
was.png
cin.png
sf.png
atl.png

American League

EAST
LEADER: Yankees
MAGIC NUMBER: 5
Code:
             W         L         GB
Yankees      91        66        ---
Orioles      90        67        1.0
Rays         86        71        5.0

CENTRAL
LEADERS: Tigers
MAGIC NUMBER: 5
Code:
             W         L         GB
Tigers       84        73        ---
White Sox    83        74        1.0

WEST
LEADER: Rangers
MAGIC NUMBER: 3
Code:
             W         L         GB
Rangers      92        65        ---
Athletics    89        68        3.0
Angels       87        70        5.0

WILD CARD
LEADERS: Orioles/Athletics
#1 MAGIC NUMBER: 3
#2 MAGIC NUMBER: 4
Code:
             W         L         GB
Orioles      90        67       +1.0
Athletics    89        68        ---
Angels       87        70        2.0
Rays         86        71        3.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Rangers - 5 (2 v LAA, 3 @ OAK)

Yankees - 5 (2 @ TOR, 3 v BOS)

Tigers - 5 (2 @ MIN, 3 @ KC)

Orioles - 5 (2 v BOS, 3 @ TB)

Athletics - 5 (2 v SEA, 3 v TEX)

Angels - 5 (2 @ TEX, 3 @ SEA)

Rays - 5 (2 @ CWS, 3 v BOS)

White Sox - 5 (2 v TB, 3 @ CLE)

National League

EAST
LEADER: Nationals
MAGIC NUMBER: 2
Code:
             W         L         GB
Nationals    95        62        ---
Braves       91        66        4.0

NL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS
cin.png

NL WEST CHAMPIONS
sf.png

NL WILD CARD CHAMPIONS
atl.png

#2 LEADER: Cardinals
MAGIC NUMBER: 3
Code:
             W         L         GB
Braves       91        66       +6.0
Cardinals    85        72        ---
Dodgers      82        75        3.0
Brewers      80        77        5.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Nationals - 5 (2 @ STL, 3 v PHI)

Reds - 5 (2 @ PIT, 3 @ STL)

Giants - 5 (2 @ SD, 3 @ LAD)

Braves - 5 (2 v NYM, 3 @ PIT)

Cardinals - 5 (2 v WAS, 3 v CIN)

Dodgers - 5 (2 v COL, 3 v SF)

Brewers - 5 (2 v HOU, 3 v SD)

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Thanks for the replies brehs. A bit surprised by the strike zone being slightly different for every ump but I guess it's kind of like some refs being harsher than others in soccer. The rest sounds pretty good and I'll probably follow the playoffs a bit.

Sucks to hear that the Jays are not very competitive but it sounds like they've at least made some progress lately, unlike other *cough* Raptors *cough* Toronto teams.

The Jays are... complicated. But they could be competitive soon, it just depends on how their litany of young talent develops and if they can avoid key injuries (they lost like 4 starting pitchers in one week this season). Luckily they're run by one of the smarter Front Offices in the game and they have money, although the ownership hasn't been too quick to spend it.

The Reds and the Nats are now tied for the #1 seed again. For reference, the Nats win the tiebreaker because they went 5-2 against the Reds this year.

alstein

*waves* We'll do our best!

Eh it's controversial. I think it's a flaw in the game. YOTU isn't an acronym for no reason. Bad officiating has had major repercussions.

Baseball has a system called Quest-Tec to evaluate umpires.

Also, strike zones can be influenced by the batter's stance, so it is an inexact science. Also, the catcher can block part of the strike zone, or can force the umpire to set up in a position to make part of the zone harder to deduce. Generally, teams are ok as long as the strike zone is consistent. That said, better pitchers with a rep for good control will get borderline pitches more than a guy who is known to walk the park. Tom Glavine was notorious for getting calls because he hit his spots perfectly. Derek Lowe did this as well, but he sucked (in Atlanta at least)

There's also a skill in framing pitches- where catchers can make balls look like strikes. Molina and McCann are two of the best at ths.

jakncoke

Banned
I was going to make super long block list of things that happened since Pirates got ousted on October 14th 1992, but that got really depressing. Bryce Harper was born 2 days after.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wow, great performance by Kershaw last night. Looks like the Cy is gonna come down to the final start.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Unless RA gets shelled I think he gets it.
I'd like to think so too, but I can see him getting robbed. They had Buster Olney on the other day and the way he answered when asked, you can tell he wasn't going to be voting for him.

- Are teams built like in the NBA, NFL and NHL (draft, free agency, etc...)? How long does it usually take to build a contender?

Most of your questions have been answered, but I wanted to throw in a few extra points:

- while there are some pretty huge problems with the umpires, it's important to remember when you're watching games that 1) the camera is a few feet off-centre, so your perspective is a little off; and 2) strikes are (usually) determined by where the ball crosses the plate, not where it ends up. If a ball has good movement on it, it might catch the edge of the strike zone, but it will end up in the catcher's mitt outside the zone.

- playoff series are prone to moderate upsets because they're so short. Baseball teams are built for long seasons, and over 162 games talent differences play themselves out. Over a 3 to 7 game series, though? Anything can happen. If the Rangers or Reds played the Astros 100 times, they'd win the overwhelming majority of the games, but there'd still be short, random stretches where the Astros were able to win two in a row, or win four out of seven games. Apply that to the playoffs, and you've got an upset (though I can't think of many huge upsets, since playoff teams usually have to be talented to make it that far).

- the Jays are below expectations this year almost entirely because of injuries. They lost three-fifths of their starting rotation in one week in June. Then in a three-week span in late-July/early-August, they lost their starting catcher (Arencibia), their top catching prospect (D'Arnaud), their starting first baseman (Lind, though he sucked, so it wasn't a huge loss), their replacement starting first baseman (Cooper), their starting third baseman (Lawrie), and their starting right-fielder (Bautista), plus they lost their starting centre-fielder (Rasmus) for a week. On top of that, they've put something like 10 other pitchers on the DL, almost all for significant periods of time. In total, their players lost over 1,000 games to injury, and that's not counting 2 or three pitchers who got injured in spring training and couldn't make the team.

Unfortunately, the few key players who weren't injured performed well below expectations: Romero has just plain sucked, Alvarez showed he wasn't ready for the majors, Escobar has been mediocre, Rasmus (when not injured) has been wildly inconsistent, and Johnson has been one of the worst second-basemen in baseball.

Going forward, it's hard to know what to expect from them. They're supposed to have one of the best farm systems in baseball, but the replacements that got called up this year either got injured themselves or weren't ready (though both Gose and Hechavarria have drastically improved over the last month). They have some pretty big holes -- starting pitching, second base, leftfield -- but Rogers won't spend money until the Jays start winning with what they have, and just need one or two key pieces to round things out.

In an ideal world, the Jays are at the same place they were around 1983-84: lots of good young talent that's about to hit their primes together and lead the team to some sustained success, culminating in a couple of World Series victories. Realistically, though, the climb is a lot steeper (since the AL East is probably the toughest division in baseball, even more so if the Orioles end up being for real)...it all depends on if the young players pan out, and if all the players that got injured are able to rebound and be effective.

RBH

According to owner Lew Wolff, the A's turned a profit of around $1 million last year. They would have lost money were it not for the additional shared television revenue that came as a result of the World Series going seven games. Their hope of climbing out of the industry's poor house lies in leaving the not-wildly-lucrative Oakland Coliseum for a new ballpark. If everything had gone to plan, the prospects they'd acquired would have formed the nucleus of the San Jose A's.

But more than anything, Beane said the team that finished 74-88 in 2011 wasn't worth preserving in any stadium. "We traded a few good players, but we needed more than a few good players," he said. "We needed a lot of good, young players that were cost-effective for us."

The result speaks to the difficulty of projecting the development of young players. For some, it can take years to live up to their promise, if they ever do. For others, it takes a few months in the majors. Oakland collected a truckload of the latter.

Rookie pitchers Jarrod Parker, Milone and Ryan Cook—all acquired last winter—have helped give Oakland the AL's second-best pitching staff (3.53 ERA entering Friday). Outfielder Reddick, acquired in the Bailey trade from Boston, has been a revelation. And Cespedes needed little time to adjust to the majors. He and Reddick entered Friday with a combined 53 home runs. "The guys in uniforms, we don't rebuild," veteran outfielder Jonny Gomes said. "The guys in suits, they rebuild. I can't take my four at-bats today and say I'm going to take these four at-bats for next year. If you're in uniform, it's go time."

The only thing that's not going Oakland's way in 2012 is its stadium plan. The A's remain mired in a dispute with the San Francisco Giants, who've been staunchly unwilling to cede San Jose, which is designated as part of their territory. Three-and-a-half years after commissioner Bud Selig appointed a committee to study the issue, it remains unresolved. The A's continue to play before meager crowds. Average home attendance is 20,428, baseball's fourth-lowest. Tickets for a potential wild-card playoff game in Oakland are listed for as little as $15.

"I'm probably more patient than most people would be," the 76-year-old Wolff said. "I'm a deal-maker. I don't like litigation. But my patience is running out a little bit." MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said, "It is an extremely complex and complicated problem, and it is something that our committee continues to work on."

Wolff estimated that from the time the A's get approval, it would take at least three years to design and construct a new stadium. Now, Wolff said 2016 is the soonest it could open.

If there's any downside to Beane's surprise team, it's that the whole thing could still lead nowhere. By 2016, Oakland may be forced to begin rebuilding anew. The core of players Beane acquired last winter could become too expensive to keep without the proceeds from a new ballpark. That leaves Beane in a paradoxical spot: He's the architect of a rebuilding effort living for the present.

"I think at this stage at my life and career," Beane said, "I'm sort of enjoying the moment, to be honest with you."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443843904578024501218999448.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Alright, I got 34/57 correct in the Beat the Streak in a Day contest

That means I'm ranked.....8824 on the leaderboard :/

35/57, chump. Ranked 5123 MLG 4 LYFE U JUST GOT NO-SCOPED.

I knew McCutchen wouldn't do shit. Still kicking myself for picking him even though it didn't mean anything.

The Steve Pearce world tour continues. He was claimed by the Orioles today off waivers from the Yankees after they DFA'd him to make room for Brett Gardner.

If the O's make the postseason, Pearce would NOT be eligible for the roster despite playing for the team earlier in the season.

eznark

Banned
That's Phil Niekro. It's a knuckleball theme, which is why Tim Wakefield's there too.
i can tell who any of them are, that picture is real small on my phone. Looks like a thin Cox, Wakefield I got and while I know assume the guy on the left is Dickey I thought it was the bearded dude from Always Sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom