• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

shawnhi

This will probably sell me on getting the PS4 early... even if the game doesn't come out for another few years. The atmosphere of the original EQ + Kunark and even Velious was just outstanding. Years of my life disappeared there, but can't say I regret it.

Darryl

Banned
It's not. It's been said many times in this thread that it's not.

i checked out their website and i see now. it was an artist re-imagining. i'm still worried though. can't imagine many websites would put art up on their website during a hype build up that doesn't represent the product they're going to try to sell us. it's not far fetched to think that the artist they hired to do this painting was given both the original EQ portrait and some concept material for EQ Next and told to remake the old one into their modern art style.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Speaking of Forge Light I hope we get to see a beautiful Day/Night cycle, Forge Light has one of the best lighting systems I've ever seen.

I suggest reading these interviews:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

At GDC last week, you also talked about how quickly traditional MMO content is consumed and how that plays into your decision to adopt a philosophy toward emergent gameplay. The question comes up about how that affects the future of raid content -- something that takes a lot of time to design and is usually played by only a portion of the community. What are your thoughts on that?

We absolutely need to build that style of content into every game we make because players want that. We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction. Imagine seasons changing. Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where. Or image forests growing back after they're burned to the ground by invading forces. What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/18/3...-the-start-of-sony-online-entertainments-free

Our opinion is that today's MMOs, and I'd include ours in that mix, are stagnant and stuck in this model that we frankly helped create with EverQuest, where we put new content in the game, and they go through it at an incredibly fast rate because of sites like Thottbot and that kind of stuff," Smedley said.

"We need to change the way we do this," Smedley said. "We're building a sandbox and giving players the tools to help shape the world that they're in. That's the direction we're going in with EverQuest Next; trying to make a world that players create while being a living, breathing world around them. It's not just a prop for them to walk around in, which is really what all of today's MMOs are. Their worlds are nothing more than a movie set."

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30916&storypage=2

You’ll be able to destroy, massive, massive parts of this world, almost all of it. You can light the forest on fire; we have ambition with this thing. We want it to be something where the world you log into, might not be the world you log into in five days. What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major. We want it to be meaningful. And that’s what we’re building. It’s actually what we’ve built, because we’ve got this now. It just isn’t quite at the level where we’re OK [to reveal it to the public]. We have a story that we want to tell for the announcement of it, we want it that you’re seeing every aspect of the gameplay, we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm glad to hear that art isn't representative of the direction they're going, because it's rubbish. It gives me those creepy Zynga character vibes.

Honestly, the appearance of the characters is ridiculously important to me. I absolutely loved all the original races in EverQuest, and thought they were changed into complete trash with the Luclin overhaul. I really can't express enough how much I disliked that change, and continued to dislike it in EQ2.

If I don't feel a connection with my character in an MMO then gameplay be damned, I simply won't ever feel drawn to play in that world. SOE has let me down time and time again in that regard, so I'm really crossing my fingers for EQN, because I really want this to be the game that brings me back.

Staab

Those luclin models, goddamn were they ugly.
It was a transition from stylized 2d art wildly pasted on blocs with a shitton of character to 3d generic ugliness.
NEVER AGAIN !

LtOrange

I really hope they are not showing this game too early. I hate when a big mmo reveals itself then takes 2-3 years to release...totally kills my hype.

Vestal

Gold Member
I really hope they are not showing this game too early. I hate when a big mmo reveals itself then takes 2-3 years to release...totally kills my hype.

I think they learned from the mistakes of EQ2.

Here's hoping we get true night cycles. PC MASTER RACE!!

Its already been in development for several years so I'm guessing beta within the next year for sure. Probably sooner than we think.

Iadien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wVIIIZ6ETtY#t=28s

They're in a "black box" because they don't want to show the game too soon and have their competitors steal their ideas before they can release EQN, according to Georgeson.

They've been working on the game as far back as 2008 (that we know of).

Azzurri

Sulik2

I really don't need another EQ to ruin my life 15 years later but EQ Next sounds super interesting. I love MMOs but I have pretty much burned out on them at this point. If the world is as dynamic as they are claiming and they bring difficulty back I might be in.

I heard they were going to a stylised cartoony look. Which I think is kind of a shame.

Especially given the fact their biggest competition works in the stylised arena.

Ofcourse, I only care if it comes to PS4 anyway.

opposite of what you said. =p

They changed the gameplay and made a change from themepark to sandbox.

oh, whoops. Remember when they showcased EQ2?

eBuA9ca.jpg

Not very practical armor but it looked cool. And dont forget this is from 13-14 years ago.

Iadien

Not very practical armor but it looked cool. And dont forget this is from 13-14 years ago.

Yeah, we still don't know what the game actually looks like. The old leaked animation video, etc. is very old and things have most probably changed, even if it's just a little bit.

I remember those videos that were shown of EQ2 before it launched that looked amazing, and then saw what actually was in the game. So I understand that things change. EQ2 is the reason I don't get too high on any game until I get to play it for myself.

That model actually looks like they just used Poser and slapped on some armor. I didn't mind the Kerran models in EQ2, especially on Ultra settings, but the animations are what really turned me off. I'm hoping they go stylized, but realistic, much like Guild Wars 2.

Please SOE, bring me back to Norrath!

hyelife

Never played the Everquest games but I'm always looking for the next MMORPG.
I wonder if it will have oculus rift support?

J-Rzez

I would just hope that it's stable online and it's engine is sorted out. Don't need any of the technical disasters that plagued Planetside 2 to show up again. If they did, I'd probably never play another SOE game from there on out.

spirity

I think they learned from the mistakes of EQ2.

That game had some terrible ideas at launch, the worst was shared xp debt.

I joined a group in Antonica (or whatever the old Qeynos Hills was, renamed). They were on the other side of the zone, so I began the run to them. The idiots kept dying to bad pulls, and by the time I got to them, they disbanded. Leaving me with an hours worth of xp debt, and i hadn't even attacked anything.

Another one was the whack-a-mole combat. My Bruiser had something like 6 different attacks for kick, 4 different variations of punch, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. I must have had about 4 skill bars filled with crap that could easily have been consolidated down. The developers clearly wanted to get away from EQ1's auto-attack-and-grab-a-sandwich approach to combat, which I understand. But the pendulum swung too far in the opposite direction, and what you ended up with was pure busy work as you mashed each button whenever it came off cool down. You'd set up a rotation, and just click 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 for each fight.

Vestal

Gold Member
That game had some terrible ideas at launch, the worst was shared xp debt.

I joined a group in Antonica (or whatever the old Qeynos Hills was, renamed). They were on the other side of the zone, so I began the run to them. The idiots kept dying to bad pulls, and by the time I got to them, they disbanded. Leaving me with an hours worth of xp debt, and i hadn't even attacked anything.

Another one was the whack-a-mole combat. My Bruiser had something like 6 different attacks for kick, 4 different variations of punch, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. I must have had about 4 skill bars filled with crap that could easily have been consolidated down. The developers clearly wanted to get away from EQ1's auto-attack-and-grab-a-sandwich approach to combat, which I understand. But the pendulum swung too far in the opposite direction, and what you ended up with was pure busy work as you mashed each button whenever it came off cool down. You'd set up a rotation, and just click 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 for each fight.

I dont think shared exp debt made it to launch.

However the whackamole was out of control. I tried a few years ago to start playing again with my 50 pally but my GOD SO MANY FREAKING BUTTONS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I dont think shared exp debt made it to launch.

However the whackamole was out of control. I tried a few years ago to start playing again with my 50 pally but my GOD SO MANY FREAKING BUTTONS.

It certainly did. It was in the game for at least a few months. I remember giving up on the game the first time after a few Fallen Gate runs because of just how ridiculous it was.

EQ2 was such a fucking mess at launch. No idea what they were thinking with that game.

Yeah, they're going for the D&D/Pathfinder new art direction (that kobold is a dead giveaway).

The Keith Parkinsons Larry Elmore influenced style fits EQ so much better.

Ugh there's nothing Pathfinder about that abortion.

Pathfinder art (specifically the Iconics by Wayne Reynolds are gorgeous, and inspired by those fantasy artists before him.)

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

eBuA9ca.jpg

I hated this from the second I laid eyes on it. So plasticy and lifeless, it looks like a doll. It's completely devoid of the character that the original EQ models had.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ugh there's nothing Pathfinder about that abortion.

Pathfinder art (specifically the Iconics by Wayne Reynolds are gorgeous, and inspired by those fantasy artists before him.)

You really don't see the similarities between that art you just posted and the reimagined EQ1 art?

They both share the same derpy looking facial structures and the awkward stances. I greatly dislike both of those... but of course, art direction is subjective.

You really don't see the similarities between that art you just posted and the reimagined EQ1 art?

They both share the same derpy looking facial structures and the awkward stances. I greatly dislike both of those... but of course, art direction is subjective.

No I don't at all. They share nothing of note.

Reynolds art is considered comparable to Parkinson/Elmore in most fantasy art circles. On design alone he trumps most working in the field.

There is nothing WoW about his designs, while that abortion was just WoW fanart.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Reynolds is amazing. I think the fairest criticism of his early work was the huge swords..but that always struck me as more JRPG influenced art style then anything. I really like the intricate details he includes in his designs

his newer stuff for Paizo..just awesome, character art like this..so good

Reynolds is amazing. I think the fairest criticism of his early work was the huge swords..but that always struck me as more JRPG influenced art style then anything. I really like the intricate details he includes in his designs

The thought he puts into accessories and design are incredible. So hyped for his artbook next month.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
No I don't at all. They share nothing of note.

Reynolds art is considered comparable to Parkinson/Elmore in most fantasy art circles. On design alone he trumps most working in the field.

There is nothing WoW about his designs, while that abortion was just WoW fanart.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, because the faces in the art you're posting from Reynolds are just flat out bad to me... just compare the faces in that with the one from the redone EQ1 image of Firiona Vie.

I also don't see really any correlation between that reimagined EQ1 art and WoW whatsoever. The armor they're wearing... sure? I guess? But the actual characters themselves and the overall style are absolutely nothing like WoW. WoW has some beautiful art direction and great base character models.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, because the faces in the art you're posting from Reynolds are just flat out bad to me... just compare the faces in that with the one from the redone EQ1 image of Firiona Vie.

I also don't see really any correlation between that reimagined EQ1 art and WoW whatsoever. The armor they're wearing... sure? I guess? But the actual characters themselves and the overall style are absolutely nothing like WoW. WoW has some beautiful art direction and great base character models.

ah ok....

massoluk

Banned

Did he get Tetsuya Nomura'ed?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some people see WoW influence, I just see Warhammer influence.

Warhammer is where Blizzard got their inspiration for massive shoulderpads, gauntlets, and boots, but Warhammer stuff was always a lot more gritty. Blizzard kind of pioneered, or at least popularized, the cartoon or comic-like rendition of Warhammer's style.

Iadien

Warhammer is where Blizzard got their inspiration for massive shoulderpads, gauntlets, and boots, but Warhammer stuff was always a lot more gritty. Blizzard kind of pioneered, or at least popularized, the cartoon or comic-like rendition of Warhammer's style.

Well, this is where the comparison ends with this EQN art, imo. Even EQ1 had it, it was just more difficult to show back then.

Hype meter is rising:

11 days until SOE Live reveals EQNext!

I know @EQNexus has a podcast where they are talking about what they expect, what they want and don't want. Two episodes are linked on their twitter page.

Vesper73

Thinking of rounding up the pards and heading down to Vegas for this. Anyone been to SOE Live before?

I want to ask about the Oculus Rift in the QA :)

Top Bottom