• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

WaterAstro

For tranq bombs u need sleep herbs and parashrooms, sleep herbs can be easily found in wild spire right outside camp 1 in the watery area with flowers everywhere. Parashrooms can be found in every map, theyre yellow mushrooms!
Ah, I didn't know where sleep herbs were. Gotta catch a large monster.

Is there a way to see your bounty missions? I can't find a list of it while on a hunt.

MistBreeze

Same, honestly those who are wanting to help are simply answering SOS's instead. So probably the only thing u can do is start the quests anyway and if anyone join in mid game great - if u want help u just have to use SOS..

For tranq bombs u need sleep herbs and parashrooms, sleep herbs can be easily found in wild spire right outside camp 1 in the watery area with flowers everywhere. Parashrooms can be found in every map, theyre yellow mushrooms!
Thanks, sadly it is the only option, hop Capcom find a solution for that

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'm absolutely terrible with any of the larger, more cumbersome weapon types. It's a testament to just how bad I am that it took me 10 minutes longer to kill a Pukei-Pukei with the greatsword than using a bow. Think I might try sword and shield or perhaps the heavy bow gun with all its ammo types.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I'm absolutely terrible with any of the larger, more cumbersome weapon types. It's a testament to just how bad I am that it took me 10 minutes longer to kill a Pukei-Pukei with the greatsword than using a bow. Think I might try sword and shield or perhaps the heavy bow gun with all its ammo types.
Try the hammer. You can stun them and they sit still why you press one button and do massive damage lol.

zumbi997

Neo Member
I could be talking out of my butt here but in past games I've found it easier to start with either a faster weapon like the bow or a defensive weapon like the lances. A lot of the heavier weapons require more knowledge about timing windows and reading a monster's tells, which can take some getting used to.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I could be talking out of my butt here but in past games I've found it easier to start with either a faster weapon like the bow or a defensive weapon like the lances. A lot of the heavier weapons require more knowledge about timing windows and reading a monster's tells, which can take some getting used to.

Absolutely. I kept getting hit because I failed to recognise when the monster was attacking, or I had locked myself into an animation and got smacked 15ft across the forest floor. I almost certainly need something with a shield so I can absorb attacks that I'm unable to dodge.

Pejo

What an incredible game. I'm fairly sure I'm over 40 hours in already since release. Just impressed on every angle and my nitpicks are tiny and sparse. I even like how most of the new monsters are combinations of the old monsters. They feel both new and familiar at the same time. Also, thanks to the reviews and the hype I finally convinced my friends to try out MonHun, and they love it. I haven't had multiplayer this fun with them since the old days of Destiny 1.

Just made it to High Rank before quitting last night, so I got to see a bit of the high rank armors. Can definitely see the grind before my eyes, but I can't wait to get back in there.

In the future, I hope we get more of the series staple monsters back just for the pure fun and fanservice. Also, I dare say I wouldn't mind if underwater battles came back in a DLC, provided they refined the combat a bit. I still like the depth it gave MH3U for monster encounters.

splattered

Man I cannot trap some of these monsters for the life of me... tried both pitall and shocktrap on Anja and Baroth and they just won't go down! I've trapped others no problem... wtf am I doing wrong arghhh. Wife and I literally trapped Anja 4 times last night and threw tranq bombs in his face repeatedly and he wouldn't capture. Having issues with the trap Baroth mission right now too. :(

Gold_Loot

Man I cannot trap some of these monsters for the life of me... tried both pitall and shocktrap on Anja and Baroth and they just won't go down! I've trapped others no problem... wtf am I doing wrong arghhh. Wife and I literally trapped Anja 4 times last night and threw tranq bombs in his face repeatedly and he wouldn't capture. Having issues with the trap Baroth mission right now too. :(
Are you sure they were nearly dead/limping when you tried to capture them?

I know that Anja has a bit of a natural derpy walk even when he’s full health. Maybe he just wasn’t hurt enough?

splattered

Are you sure they were nearly dead/limping when you tried to capture them?

I know that Anja has a bit of a natural derpy walk even when he’s full health. Maybe he just wasn’t hurt enough?

I wait until they have the skull over their head and they are gimping around... can they have the skull and not be prime to capture? A friend of mine said they need to be out of stamina and the skull doesn't always mean trappable???

Grinchy

Banned
I wait until they have the skull over their head and they are gimping around... can they have the skull and not be prime to capture? A friend of mine said they need to be out of stamina and the skull doesn't always mean trappable???
I’ve never had one not be trappable when the minimap shows a skull. We purposely stop hitting it the moment we see the icon.

One weird thing though is sometimes I will see the skull when he doesn’t and vice versa. Not sure why that happens but as soon as either of us sees the skull, we trap the monster and then throw 2 tranq bombs at it.

Gold_Loot

Hmm. Are you using the sleep tranquilizer right on their head? Other than that, not sure.

splattered

Is there a way to throw the tranq bomb rather than just toss it on the ground? It's frustrating to have a dinosaur in a trap with his head 10 to 15 feet above you not knowing if the tranq smoke is actually hitting his head or not haha

Meave

Neo Member
Just an FYI, I did an SOS on the Xbox one X version and got 4 people to join and help me out a little while ago.

xyzls

The cat AI is awesome.
I was hunting a tzitzi ya ku in a story mission. I get to the point it's limping, but I also trip up and fell to low health.
Then I got caught by the signature flash stun, and the monster then faces me ready for a jump attack. SHIT I'm DEAD!
So while I'm desperately scrambling on the thumbstick to escape stun, my cat bro does a running dive attack, at ME! The recoil sends me flying out of the monster's attack range, I take no damage.
Talk about on point saves!!!
Now I need a way to pet the cat.

splattered

The cat AI is awesome.
I was hunting a tzitzi ya ku in a story mission. I get to the point it's limping, but I also trip up and fell to low health.
Then I got caught by the signature flash stun, and the monster then faces me ready for a jump attack. SHIT I'm DEAD!
So while I'm desperately scrambling on the thumbstick to escape stun, my cat bro does a running dive attack, at ME! The recoil sends me flying out of the monster's attack range, I take no damage.
Talk about on point saves!!!
Now I need a way to pet the cat.

That's happened to me too but I didn't know if it was on purpose or not.. tons of cool stuff in this game and the Palico/Tailraiders definitely help a LOT!

Codes 208

Gold Member
I spend half my time fighting Dinosaurs and dinosaur-eating Iguanas and the other half trying to pet all of the cat people. I've never played MH before so this experience for me is akin to Phantasy Star Universe but 1000x more adorable.

Though yesterday me and my friends spent hours trying to figure out why one of us couldn't stay with the group after a mission to do expeditions before we realized he hadn't set up the camp yet in story mode.

Pejo

Any tail chopping tips? They spin around too fast. Do people use a lot of traps to cut their tails?
Traps, palicos (especially with the shield tool), mounting and knocking down (move to the rear of the monster while mounting for a little extra bonus) are generally the best advice. Anything that will give you some extra time at dat ass. If you're in multi, you can customize a message to say "chop the tail off please" and most vets will gladly assist, if they don't already plan to do it (most do).

Man I love reading everyone's experience with the game. As for me I just reached the point where I can hunt Nergigante again!

But for now I got a bunch of optional quests to do to spruce up Astora xD

pots555

Can this be played mainly solo? I like to take my time, scout and explore as much as I can. Will I be able to get to the end without having too much problems. Time is not an issue. Thanks!

Can this be played mainly solo? I like to take my time, scout and explore as much as I can. Will I be able to get to the end without having too much problems. Time is not an issue. Thanks!

Hell yeah, If putting time into mastering a weapon, learning the environment and challenging urself against the many giant creatures is ur thing then definitely give the game a try!

WaterAstro

I wasn't playing charged blade correctly. I didn't know about charging the shield!

I looked up the guide, now I'm able to block stuff and do more damage.

jowell24

I wasn't playing charged blade correctly. I didn't know about charging the shield!

I looked up the guide, now I'm able to block stuff and do more damage.

If you're still looking for a thorough visual tutorial, watch this video by Arrekz.

He does a very good tutorial on Charge Blade mechanics and optimal damage combos.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
For those who are having some difficulties you guys can check our Video Guides over here

Anjanath -

Nergigante -

Barroth -

We will be doing guides for ALL the monsters. Stick with us and if you enjoy it let us know!

Sakura

Really enjoying the game.
Took out Anjanath for the first time last night. Can't wait to get back in it.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Really enjoying the game.
Took out Anjanath for the first time last night. Can't wait to get back in it.
Me and my friends are trying to do that for fun right now. Hes retreated three times so far and has killed me three times and one of my buddies twice.

So its not going too well lol

Finally let me connect on xbox, so did the online mission, took like 15 hits to kill both large monsters
Been too busy, sucks only spending 2hours a day playing, time goes so quick

Pejo

Last night my friend captured this video of our group stumbling upon a Great Jagras getting it's butt handed to it by an Anjanath. Looked like something straight outta Jurassic Park.
I love seeing this kind of stuff happening organically in the game world.

So I've been a vet of this series for a bunch of years and not once in all that time have I ever actually tried a ranged weapon. What do you guys recommend for a first timer to ranged? I'm thinking of trying out bow since it always seemed like the gateway weapon to ranged combat.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How does the Horizon Zero Down content work? I finally made it to the level to do the one quest into the wilds or something and completed it, but got nothing. It seems like every choice they made in this game was just to confuse players and make the UI garbage.

jowell24

How does the Horizon Zero Down content work? I finally made it to the level to do the one quest into the wilds or something and completed it, but got nothing. It seems like every choice they made in this game was just to confuse players and make the UI garbage.

Everytime you complete that event quest "Lessons of the WIld" it rewards you with an item with a question mark on it. You then go to the smithy and can forge the items.

However, at the moment they have only released the cat armour, which you can craft with two of the specific reward item from the quest by going to "forge palico equipment" and then "full sets". They will allow you to craft the Aloy armour/skin soon but you should only need to complete that quest three times to be able to craft all the items.

You get "nothing" because the game doesn't reward you by giving you pre-built armour and weapons for completing a quest. I'm sure you've realised by now that most items must be crafted in the game.

EDIT: The game is deep and complex, full of content and mechanics. It's naturally going to be overwhelming and confusing at first for many new players (you sound like this is your first foray into the series, so forgive me if not) but they have done a thorough job of making it as straight forward as they can. Improvements are needed for things like online play, of course.

Last edited:

graffix13

Plan on playing single player and am a complete noob to the MH series.

Question: do Monsters scale as you level up? (I know they scale on a SP/MP level but I was more interested in the SP aspect.)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think my game is glitched or I dont understand it?

I'm doing the beginning, slay 7 Jagras and I'm in the area but there are no creatures there at all and the timer is just ticking down?

zumbi997

Neo Member

I'm doing the beginning, slay 7 Jagras and I'm in the area but there are no creatures there at all and the timer is just ticking down?
Did you check the cave that runs down and out of that area? Pretty early on in that hunt they run down there and you have to follow them.

Yeah you can just crouch in the shrubs in the area you originally saw them in and they’ll come back to. If you chase lil guys like that you can end up scooby doobying eachother for a bit.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Awesome, thanks both.

Also, another n00b question - when I load my game, I have to create an online session each time?

xviper

reached HR 37, soaked over 70 hours in the game, got Xenojiiva full set, Extermination's Edge Long Sword and killed every Monster in the game

i think i'm pretty much done from the game because there is no point on playing anymore since i pretty much got the strongest gears

already my GOTY unless RDR2 comes out this year and has a MP as good as RDR1

at first i hated Monster Hunter world because they fucked up the MP by removing the 4-person lobby and made a 16-person Destiny-like tower which fucked up the MP because everyone is invincible and no one gives a fuck about the other, the only reasonable way to play MP is by an SOS, and after you finish that quest with that certain group, they all disband the party and you never see them again

but everything else is the Monster hunter i know and love

thank you Capcom for making a masterpiece last year(RE7) and thank you again for finally bringing a masterpiece to the big screen

final score: 9.5\10, all Monster Hunter games are 10\10 for me except MHW because of the new lobby system

Armorian

Banned
Digital Foundry analysys

Looks like no console version can be considered good at the moment and standard Xbox port is pretty crap IMO. 30 fps cap would fix performance for Pro and XOX.

Last edited:

tsounaiq

Neo Member
Plan on playing single player and am a complete noob to the MH series.

Question: do Monsters scale as you level up? (I know they scale on a SP/MP level but I was more interested in the SP aspect.)
Answer: Nope, as long as you play as SP.
Normally, monsters in quests that requires you to beat multiple have lower HP, not by a huge margin I would say. I also recommend 1st time MHer to play SP, until the level that you could beat all. If you start as MP, some monster get killed before you even know how he behaves. And since MP are usually done in really fast speed, you lose a lot of experience. Although IMO MH game is about fighting monsters, it is still pretty enjoyable to explore its world.

glasiche

Neo Member
Digital Foundry analysys

Looks like no console version can be considered good at the moment and standard Xbox port is pretty crap IMO. 30 fps cap would fix performance for Pro and XOX.

I’d say compared to how frightening the older versions of this game always looked, all versions are an enormous step up.

This game is more about gameplay, as have all the previous games been. If a consumer wanted a reason not to buy it they could say, “oh some parts don’t look good to me”. That’s a valid reason if you care mostly about that. However, plenty of gorgeous games aren’t even worth their steam sale from a content perspective. In comparison, MHW looks good and plays great

Last edited:
Looks like an update (1.03) was just pushed out on PS4. No patch notes yet.

Edit: Looks like it's just bug fixes.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
Digital Foundry analysys

For those at work or not able to watch, the gist of it is:
-Both PS4 and XBO run fairly poorly. With frequent judders, the PS4 usually sticks to the upper 20's at all times with some spikes above 30 due to the lack of a framecap. XBO averages at a lower framerate in the mid twenties with what appears to be lower texture settings. There's been next to no changes since the beta in terms of performance or resolution on PS4.
-The game runs at full 1080p on PS4, as well as both XOX & PS4's performance and graphics modes. Along with some filtering system used specifically by CAPCOM, so it's not checkerboard but it's similar. XBO runs at 864p with the same solution making an overall blurry image.
-Resolution mode on PS4 is 1800p(cb) while the X's resolution is 1728p native.
-performance-wise, PS4 pro pulls ahead with a small advantage in resolution mode with a slightly higher framerate.
Performance and graphics mode however the framerate on Xbox is higher. Performance mode the difference was closer to 3 frames apart in each given scenario while in graphics mode the difference often made a gap of about 8-10 frames (34fps vs 42fps for example)
-It should be added that in Resolution and performance modes, the LoD on PS4 Pro are higher than the X's.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Resolution mode on PS4 is 1800p(cb) with the same unknown AA solution as the 1080p settings, making stills beautiful but blurry in motion. X's resolution is 1728p but it's native so it doesn't have the same filter as PS4 Pro's.

That's not quiet what they said. The CB solution is a separate thing from the motion artifacts that all versions have, the XBX is just 4x res of the XB1 in that mode.

There is also some foliage missing from the XBX versions compared to the Pro.

Codes 208

Gold Member
That's not quiet what they said. The CB solution is a separate thing from the motion artifacts that all versions have, the XBX is just 4x res of the XB1 in that mode.

There is also some foliage missing from the XBX versions compared to the Pro.
I think youre right, I may have mistaken the scene he referred to the diamonds as part of the pro but on second watch, he was referring to vanilla PS4 and the non-res modes

Also weirdly enough, I did type the foliage part but I mustve deleted that part along with some personal inspection that the XBO version also looked to have lower textures.

edit: If a mod would like to edit that into my prior post. I don't want to accidentally give wrong info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom