• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

I've been really enjoying the game so far. as someone who never played MH before but had heard and read about it so much, this game definitely did not disappoint me. so far my only complain is that no matter what food you order at the Canteen (I would just call it Cateen to be honest lol), they always only show the same one platter. it would be great if they do different graphic for different dishes like in Vanillaware games.

also, I'm currently at the 3 star missions, how long would it take for me to be able to do the 5 star event mission?

Last edited:

iHaunter

The online aspects of this game are terrible, especially on PS4. Constantly kicked out, can't do most story quests with friend until we both see the cutscene?

Are you kidding me with this? Some 2004 level tech.

WaterAstro

Digital Foundry analysys

Looks like no console version can be considered good at the moment and standard Xbox port is pretty crap IMO. 30 fps cap would fix performance for Pro and XOX.

I always feel like if the game feels good to play, performance doesn't matter. A few framerates off, who cares. I'm having fun.

WaterAstro

I'm starting to not feel the charged blade anymore. It feels so bad when you miss your most powerful attack, and I miss pretty often because things are just so hectic, like the monster just moves away, or you're too close so the blade just goes past the monster, or the monster roar stuns you.

Maybe I'll do hammer or dual blades. Dunno.

Armorian

Banned
I always feel like if the game feels good to play, performance doesn't matter. A few framerates off, who cares. I'm having fun.

Drops below 30fps on PS4/X1 doesn't feel good at all, maybe this isn't easy to fix (dynamic res could work on PS4 at least) but framerate cap that fixes frametime on all platforms should be there from day 1, at least as an option. MT framework is very old at this point, it probably doesn't scale well with modern effects, too bad panta ray... what happened to it actually?

WaterAstro

Drops below 30fps on PS4/X1 doesn't feel good at all, maybe this isn't easy to fix (dynamic res could work on PS4 at least) but framerate cap that fixes frametime on all platforms should be there from day 1, at least as an option. MT framework is very old at this point, it probably doesn't scale well with modern effects, too bad panta ray... what happened to it actually?
Eh, I'm on normal PS4, and I don't even notice it. It's just an expectation of an MMO kind of game. Played Black Desert at garbage FPS and I don't really care.

Boomerang works, it takes a while but it works. They can break which is why u bring more than one, makes for hilarious moments with friends. But yeah, I love that the boomerang was one of the only things that they didn't change in the game - and maybe never will.

WaterAstro

Boomerang works, it takes a while but it works. They can break which is why u bring more than one, makes for hilarious moments with friends. But yeah, I love that the boomerang was one of the only things that they didn't change in the game - and maybe never will.
I was doing a test in the meantime. Didn't seem that effective? I was using on the jyuratodus, and his tail didn't come off. I think I had like 15 boomerang hits into him.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure whats happened here, was in the smithy place upgrading my weapon and it unlocked the possess 1,000,000 zenny trophy for me? On looking, I have about 4297z

Confused.

I was doing a test in the meantime. Didn't seem that effective? I was using on the jyuratodus, and his tail didn't come off. I think I had like 15 boomerang hits into him.

That's because u can't cut jyuratodus' tail :v Not all monsters can have their tail severed.

Also, how do I eat my steak without it burning on the BBQ?

Its all about ending the bbq on time with the music, but what I find easier is looking at the colour of the meat - when u can see it change into a shade of brown it's probably time - right before it goes black.

And congrats on getting that trophy :p

Shouta

I really wish I could save a look and make that my default outfit while I adjust pieces for stats and skills. Is there any an option I'm missing?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
That's because u can't cut jyuratodus' tail :v Not all monsters can have their tail severed.

Its all about ending the bbq on time with the music, but what I find easier is looking at the colour of the meat - when u can see it change into a shade of brown it's probably time - right before it goes black.

And congrats on getting that trophy :p

Erm.. How do you end the BBQ?

Sorry.

Erm.. How do you end the BBQ?

Sorry.

No worries, u press X I think - there are prompts on the top right corner of the HUD that tells u what inputs u can do for different actions (not just with BBQin).
U can also ask the Handler to cook food for u while ur away on a hunt, just choose the option whenever u are at the canteen!

I really wish I could save a look and make that my default outfit while I adjust pieces for stats and skills. Is there any an option I'm missing?
I remember vanity outfits exists- the samurai outfit that comes with the delux edition is one I believe. But I haven't reached far enough in the game to confirm yet.

WaterAstro

Hmm, the wiki said the tail is breakable. I guess I'll test on another monster. Hammer is just too good with the stuns. Damage is more consistent now that I don't have to keep charging with the charge blade.

Yeah, I wish they had a visual option for it. I'm wearing mix and match armor, and it looks ugly.

splattered

Wife and I have just been farming ancient forest and the waste till now before we go for elder dragon but she's starting to feel burnt out a bit so I farmed a bit more last night on my own. Took down rathian and then also ratholos by myself with a bow and even managed to chop ratholos tail with my bow shots. Dang. Earlier in the day we were chasing ratholos around together and then rathian came and got in the middle of it but they weren't fight each other.. They were both going after us at the same time! We wear them down and they fly to another location when Anjanath crashes the party so now we got three huge monsters in front of us fighting while we're attacking them. They all ended up leaving and we didn't get to kill a single damn one of them haha oh well, got that part on dvr capture at least. And now my palico has some weird shield tool I haven't tried yet. Had a blast last night even when playing by myself.

CaptainJaff

The online aspects of this game are terrible, especially on PS4. Constantly kicked out, can't do most story quests with friend until we both see the cutscene?

Are you kidding me with this? Some 2004 level tech.
This, I find this so frustrating, I just want to progress with a friend, but they make it so difficult.

The Hunting Horn seems legit - finally gave it a shot last night and was having a blast. I never ever see anyone else using one though

Pejo

Are there any JP players in this thread? I'd love to get the last few Azure Star Shards I need to craft the palico gear and longsword. I was lucky enough to get into one S.O.S. of the USJ: Gold Star Treatment quest, but all night last night I tried for more and was unsuccessful. If any of you have that quest and could host, i'd really appreciate it.

Agreed. And frankly, I fully expect there to be fixes down the road for both the PS4 Pro and XBO:X, especially the latter since no beta was done for it.

Kagero

New to the series and I fell in love with the bow... been my main for like 30 hours so far!
I think that's that thing. I've never liked monster hunter mainly because of the way weapons handled. The bow is an exception in this case. It could be a reason why this version is so accessible to someone like me who prefers a more arcade y feel to my games.

WaterAstro

I think that's that thing. I've never liked monster hunter mainly because of the way weapons handled. The bow is an exception in this case. It could be a reason why this version is so accessible to someone like me who prefers a more arcade y feel to my games.
The bow good in solo? I've been preferring the heavy bowgun, but I am usually solo.

Finally took down Nergigante solo, man after completing my lagiana set and upgrading my bow - feels good man.

Was nearly a perfect run without getting hit once either!

John Day

I’m going Longsword but thinking on trying bow.

Also a part of me says i should have bought the PS4 (og) instead... but i rushed. Anyways, maybe if i cared more about graphics i would feel bad. Anyways i think i should be upgrading to X or Pro soon. Nerd in me feels it hahaha.

Downloading tonight. Can’t wait to dig in tomorow. Never played any MH at all didn’t even try beta. But somethings got me really interesting to me about it.

Shouta

I've been running Charge Shield for solo and switching between that and the Heavy Bowgun for random forays into SOS calls. Charge Shield is so much fun.

splattered

What is the best general elemental bow to go after... i'm in the coral section now and I can choose from nearly everything in the list both bone and iron... been running bow electric for awhile now and the second phase of the electric looks fairly sweet but then the fire bow looks pretty powerful as well. Though I see electric has affinity 10% and fire has affinity -20% ... not even sure what that means haha

*Obviously I know that different elements work best against certain enemies etc but i'm just wondering if there's a best all around bow at this point in the game

Last edited:
affinity is essentially ur crit chance, negative affinity gives u a chance to deal less dmg than normal - the lightning bow is p good and can last u for awhile.
I'd say that and a Rathalos one can carry u through most encounters especially after upgrading

Juras

Dual Blades vs Final Boss:
rxnBJja.gif

Grinchy

Banned
Man, that Zorah Magdaros quest suuure was annoying the first time, and the 2nd time, and the 3rd time, and the 4th time. How many times did they think we'd want to grind this shit as an optional quest?

Kagero

The bow good in solo? I've been preferring the heavy bowgun, but I am usually solo.
I started with the heavy bow gun as well and kept getting owned by Tobi Kadachi. Switched to the bow and have only died maybe a couple times. Ran through the purple dinosaur dude on the first try solo.

splattered

affinity is essentially ur crit chance, negative affinity gives u a chance to deal less dmg than normal - the lightning bow is p good and can last u for awhile.
I'd say that and a Rathalos one can carry u through most encounters especially after upgrading

Thanks! Gonna run with electric for awhile then and see how things go :) Haven't beaten Ratholos enough to make the weapon I don't think

Finally beat the final boss!! Finished all my pots and nearly died at the end but i did it!! But this is just the beginning of my hunter journey =) Long long way to go to that platinum

Pejo

Does anyone know the unlock condition for the Indigo Flash Insect glaive? I beat Kirin in LR yesterday but the materials are still all showing as ???

I can currently make up to rank 6 gear, and the first Indigo Flash is only rank 4, so I don't think that's what's holding me back. It must be some key material that I don't have that makes it viewable.

was thinking about bringing some traps and hunt Rathian in Ancient Forrest, but nope, it's Rathalos nestsitting today. (que the surprisemotherfucker.gif) I didn't even realize it at first until it kicked my ass in a minute flat. yeah, dual blade against Rathalos might not be a good idea. gonna go back tonight with an upgrade bow for round 2. any advice and tips? I'm in fully upgraded Bone Armor set btw.

any advice and tips?

For Rathalos u wanna mainly be damaging his head and wings, watch out for his fire balls and aerial lunges. With a bow make sure not to fire uncharged as it only shoots out 1 arrow - which makes ur coats less effective.
Try getting the hang of repeated firing as consecutive fires will be of the next charge lvl, but be careful as its easy to end up spamming it which could leave u open or use up ur coats quickly.
U can p much string any attacks with repeated firing, like from a 2nd charge to a power shot (with circle) or to a wyvern piercer (circle + triangle). Use wyvern piercer whenever the opportunity presents itself and when its safe to do so.
Like when its downed or distracted by ur cat, but make sure u line it right to get the maximum dmg - from head to tail for instance - its also the only way to sever tails with a bow.

Does anyone know the unlock condition for the Indigo Flash Insect glaive? I beat Kirin in LR yesterday but the materials are still all showing as ???.

For Indigo flash u need 3 Kirin Thunderhorns, 3 hides, a tail and a light crystal.

jwillenn

hope to be downloading this tomorrow night (gotta put in some longer sessions with Celeste to try to finish it by then)

Is anything SOLO required?

This Guild Card thing is weird but I have to admit I had a chuckle making this
DVDhMmzX4AIaA2i.jpg
(in spoiler tags because the background is a picture of the final boss)

For Rathalos u wanna mainly be damaging his head and wings, watch out for his fire balls and aerial lunges. With a bow make sure not to fire uncharged as it only shoots out 1 arrow - which makes ur coats less effective.
Try getting the hang of repeated firing as consecutive fires will be of the next charge lvl, but be careful as its easy to end up spamming it which could leave u open or use up ur coats quickly.
U can p much string any attacks with repeated firing, like from a 2nd charge to a power shot (with circle) or to a wyvern piercer (circle + triangle). Use wyvern piercer whenever the opportunity presents itself and when its safe to do so.
Like when its downed or distracted by ur cat, but make sure u line it right to get the maximum dmg - from head to tail for instance - its also the only way to sever tails with a bow.

hmmm, think I'll go do some practice with the bow first before I actually go seek my revenge... lol thanks for the pointers

Top Bottom