• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Odio

Banned
Given that its coming to PC I might be tempted to give it a try somewhere down the line since I lack a PS4 but I don't really like what I saw. Please tell me that post is kidding about regenerative health though, that's like a deal breaker right there.

remember when "cant go to 3ds graphics after switch"

try going back to switch after playing this on Xbox One X :)
Games are more than just graphics you know.

So the gameplay we saw so far

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

And people are crying it's not Monster Hunter? Remember how they showed off MH4 the first time? A character running away from Tigrex and mounting Rathalos, that's it, and people cried with joy.

Kudos to that 4 chan rumor.

But this is not what I expected, I like the visuals but whats up with all the light markings? Looked exaggerated and unnatural.

I am honestly not impressed, why was the Switch trailer for XX more hype?

Maybe next time with MH5 it will strike that balance of great visuals and the gameplay from the portable series.

Thoraxes

The picture they posted on Twitter had 3 hunters.

I mean its open world on consoles it better have multiplayer

Could just be story people, or maybe you can only choose from 3 classes ala Destiny.
How would that even work with what was shown? Maybe online, but that's about it.
No idea.
XX is dead. We get World and Capcom will consider that enough for the US.
I would be mega-bummed out.

Just watched the trailer. I'm in but this is such a let down.

They are basically using the MH brand to sell Dragons Dogma. What the fuck.

Someone explain that wisp around the hunter. I don't get it.

I hate the logo. It looks anemic and not very MH. The trailer is incredibly quiet for a MH trailer. Also no coop shown. What a disgrace.

This is not MH but ok Capcom, as a good fanboy I'll still hope for the best outcome and I'll be there day one regardless.

Ki. I hate Capcom.

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

And people are crying it's not Monster Hunter? Remember how they showed off MH4 the first time? A character running away from Tigrex and mounting Rathalos, that's it, and people cried with joy.

Nobody wanted stealth in Monster Hunter

The Hermit

The beginning was clearly a MonHun game, but when he hid from the raptors I was like "ehhhh"

Lets see how it plays out, it seems based more on traps instead of combat with enemies interacting.

While not exactly a classic Monster Hunter, it might be cool.

I didn't like it to be honest, will play on PC if is good enough

popyea

The trailer barely shows it, but I'm pretty sure all the regular MH style combat will be present. You can see the greatsword animations are all quite familiar. And if those are the same, it feels like a safe bet that a lot of returning monsters will have their usual animations. And to me that indicates that the combat design can't have changed as much as the trailer suggests. All that stuff like the grappling traversal and stealthiness looks like it will be there to support the open world interactions. You need extra mechanics like that if encounters are framed within an open world. But the regular combat will be pretty much the same, and not boring "qte fests" like some are suggesting.

Oregano

Just watched the trailer. I'm in but this is such a let down.

They are basically using the MH brand to sell Dragons Dogma. What the fuck.

Someone explain that wisp around the hunter. I don't get it.

I hate the logo. It looks anemic and not very MH. The trailer is incredibly quiet for a MH trailer. Also no coop shown. What a disgrace.

This is not MH but ok Capcom, as a good fanboy I'll still hope for the best outcome and I'll be there day one regardless.

Ki. I hate Capcom.

Most of those criticisms apply to that first MH4 trailer too.

NSESN

I think it looks great, but is definitely a spin-off.If it is successful I can see turning into the main series tho.

Eolz

Lol irrelevant. Some of you are going to be using "its a spin off" to downplay this title but I'm telling you, it's not.

Capcom is gonna be disappointed then.

edit:
Why does Japanese sales have to do with it not to go multiplat?

That wasn't what I was replying to. He was talking about mainline coming back to Sony consoles after this game.
It's more complicated than just sales in the west (unless it's suddenly selling 6 million there).

If the game has co-op (it must.. Right?), quest based missions, crafting weapons and armor and no level up nonsense then this will be great.

It looks different and that's fine for those that lie the changes. I expect it will do ok sales wise, but doubt it will be the next big thing in the west like Capcom and Sony hope.

depward

Yo we saw like three mins of the game. Maybe not even gameplay?

Let's calm down and quit jumping to conclusions here.

I mean I don't see why any of that is inherently bad.

Tracking makes more sense than paintballs.
Grappling hooks and expanded traversal options makes sense if they are going for a more open environment. You can already kind of sneak around in MH but it was never a really fleshed out mechanic.

I'll be the first in line to shit on this if it's the Dead Rising 4 of MH but I really do need to see more of it. And please for the love of god I hope this doesn't mean they won't bring over XX.

Tracking with Witcher vision and clues on the ground comes off as an annoying attempt to add needless "immersion" to a series where finding the monsters is normally a thing where you can pop a Psychoserum, wave to the observation balloon, the Psychic skill, etc. to just see a dot on the minimap at the beginning of a mission, or even just remember which area a monster spawns in.

NewGame

Banned

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

The heck are you on about?!

people don't play mon hun for those disparate parts, they play it like a 3D fighting game

This looks like a poormans mon hun, see also: dragons dogma

Raonak

Banned
Look way more interesting than any of the other recent MH games,

The Jank seems to be toned down, finally getting a new engine(?)

As long as this isn't an MMO, i'm in.

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

Yeah, the reactions to this are so strange, my jaw was DROPPED the whole time. Don't get any of the negative comments, guess people just want more of the exact same monster hunter that's been recycled for so many years on a handheld that limited it's growth.

Because they want a Monster Hunter game. What use is stealth in an arena fighter?
good example of something i dont understand right here, sneaking around has always been a part of monster hunter, it just looks to be expanded upon in this.

xequalsy

I mean, there isn't that much to go off of yet, could be amazing? Like there will be multiplayer right? Wouldn't make much sense to make a single player MH game of all things.

More information should come soon anyway.

Lol graphically MHXX looks so much more worse. Gameplay wise it's pretty much guaranteed to be the other way though. I'll still check out both.

crinale

if you actually play monster hunter it really doesn't
I played almost every iteration of MH including frontier and I thought it really looked like a Monster Hunter indeed.

I mean the first MH even didn't have changed attacks. Things change you know..

Skyzard

Banned

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

Yep.

Nobody wanted stealth in Monster Hunter

You're hunting monsters, stealth is a natural development of the mechanics.

Surprised at all the "you can keep it" posts. Looks like it'd be real fun to play with the modern polish and I'm sure they'll keep it challenging too - that was a trailer, of course they'll make it look cinematic.

Damn nice visuals too. I'm pumped for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom