• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordique

Didn't that rumour say that this would be a PS4 exclusive and be titled Monster Hunter 5?

So was that rumour actually correct then, if its not titled MH5 and it's not PS4 exclusive?

Or are we talking about another rumour?

studyguy

Super interested in seeing more. Had almost a dragons dogma thing going on. If it's good then great, if not w/e. It's not like OG monhun is going anywhere anyway.

rpmurphy

So the gameplay we saw so far

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

And people are crying it's not Monster Hunter? Remember how they showed off MH4 the first time? A character running away from Tigrex and mounting Rathalos, that's it, and people cried with joy.
The trailer was bad. It was more running away and watching things happen than actually facing and fighting the monster.

aeroslash

So basically: people who enjoyed other MH (like me) think this is disgusting (glowing objects, really) and people who never tried one say it's nice?

MH was always about preparing for battle and great combat. Neither of it was found here.
I was hoping to get a next gen MH, but seems i'll have to wait for the switch real MH!

Alex

...Eh.

I should be way more excited for this but I'm not. It feels like something is really ... off?

Who is making this, also, is this the normal crew or is it being spun off to somewhere?

The one concern I do have with this coming early 2018 is if Capcom now sees no need to localize XX. I brought this up in the original MH World thread. Hopefully I'm worried over nothing.

They didn't actually fight anything. I'm pretty sure this is going to play fine. I like some of the new things they are trying but until they get deep in on some combat it's hard to judge. I liked it though.

The one worry I do have with this coming early 2018 is if Capcom now sees no need to localize XX.

If Capcom doesn't localize XX I will actually be super fucking pissed though. Fuck that.

OmegaDL50

Folks wanted a modern HD Release of the traditional Monster Hunter experience on PS4 / XB1. This upcoming release just seems to be a potential scapegoat for Capcom to make the excuse that "Monster Hunter isn't viable on PS4 / XB1" if this doesn't sell well.

I do hope I'm wrong, but this isn't the sort of Monster Hunter game I was hoping for. I hope it does well regardless if only for the chance of a traditional MH game that uses the same mechanics from MH:Gen or XX in a future PS4 / XB1 release.

Because they want a Monster Hunter game. What use is stealth in an arena fighter?

W don't even know how it works. Maybe it only works the first time then the monster recognizes your smell and visual so it no longer works. Why don't wait for more detail before spewing negativity? People don't even know if they want mounting the first time they saw it.

Alric

Damn, i don't know how i feel yet. I need to see more. Definitely hate the close camera, detective mode and what looked like scripted or even QuickTime events (more so than mounting).

They need to show me 4 player co-op, actual combat, paintballs for tracking, enemy breakable parts, and full MH crafting. Also, hope there is an option to turn off that detective firefly stuff and glowing collectible objects.

Camjo-Z

That looked a bit rough, but I guess I'm willing to give it a chance. I was disappointed when he pulled out the BBQ and the music didn't play though...

Gurnlei

Cautiously optimistic. I just really want to play Monster Hunter on PC and stop settling for Vindictus, as great as it is.

Just watched the trailer. I'm in but this is such a let down.

They are basically using the MH brand to sell Dragons Dogma. What the fuck.

Someone explain that wisp around the hunter. I don't get it.

I hate the logo. It looks anemic and not very MH. The trailer is incredibly quiet for a MH trailer. Also no coop shown. What a disgrace.

This is not MH but ok Capcom, as a good fanboy I'll still hope for the best outcome and I'll be there day one regardless.

Ki. I hate Capcom.
Capcom had been tryna market monster hunter in the west for awhile though. Its was veiled behind games like dragon dogma and Lost Planet 2. They finally said fuck it and made a MH in the west lol

So basically: people who enjoyed other MH (like me) think this is disgusting (glowing objects, really) and people who never tried one say it's nice?

MH was always about preparing for battle and great combat. Neither of it was found here.
I was hoping to get a next gen MH, but seems i'll have to wait for the switch real MH!

That was kind of the point of making a MH for a new audience. They're trying to expand the audience without alienating their core fans, normal MH will stay MH.

If they wanted to cram the handheld games on the HD consoles, they could do so easily.

Estoc

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

And people are crying it's not Monster Hunter? Remember how they showed off MH4 the first time? A character running away from Tigrex and mounting Rathalos, that's it, and people cried with joy.

I wonder if platform matters, it's now on the more powerful platforms, so people are expecting more.

Personally, I will be taking the wait-n-see approach.

This game looks really good; great graphics seems to have all the elements of a classic monster hunter ( cooking, gathering, sharpening, etc) as well as new elements that would fit in a open world ( stealth, grappling hook, tracking rather than paintballs, etc.) I wonder how many are legit concerned and how many are just angry because its not only on nintendo handhelds anymore...

I read Xbox One and was excited(since I don't have a ps4 anymore). I then watched the trailer and immediately realized this isn't the Monster Hunter I know and love. Maybe when it's $20.

Derkon

Will wait and see on this, I can see how some of the core audience would be displeased with what they saw though.

Galang

Banned
This looks awesome to me. Don't agree with the comments that say it looks bad! MH controls have always been uncomfortable for me so this looks right up my alley. Seems like a win-win for everyone. You'll still get 5 with traditional controls and a lot better graphics. Even if 5 is Switch exclusive the jump from 3DS to Switch in power is massive.

I don't think MH will ever have that mainstream appeal around here (West) that Capcom wants, and some of the things in this trailer... I don't think it's the way to impress people. The game doesn't look that great visually to get those really impressionable folks on board either.

I don't know, I just wanted a PC MH but this is not it. So I guess I'm pissed.

JudgeN

- Stealth
- Mounting
- Grappling
- Dodging
- Sharpening
- Grilling

Enhanced gameplay i wanted for a console release, looked great.

tuffy

The one concern I do have with this coming early 2018 is if Capcom now sees no need to localize XX. I brought this up in the original MH World thread. Hopefully I'm worried over nothing.
Switch is region-free, but I don't want to start up a hunter from scratch just for the expansion. If Capcom doesn't bring it over, then it'll save me some money and I'll have a lot of free time to spend elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom