• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Anoxida

I already owned a ps2 when MH1 came out.

I bought a psp when it moved to psp.

I bought a wii when it moved to wii.

I bought a vita when it came out, anticipating more Monster Hunter on Sony portables, because AFTER MHTri came out on wii, MHP3rd still came out on PSP.

BUT THEN

I bought a goddamn 3ds when it moved to 3ds.

Fuck this "THEY ABANDONED NINTENDO" narrative.

If you love this series, you get what it's on, period.

Truth. Like the series didnt start out on nintendo even wtf. I'm happy for xbox/ps4 and pc owners that they finally get to enjoy this series. This game should be great!

Arion

I hear the change to the healing animation is the same as Dark souls 3. You can move while healing but your movement speed is slowed down to a walk. This doesn't really change much since if you time your heal wrong you will still get hit.

The reveal was a letdown but the more I read about it the more it seems to be the Monster Hunter I've always wanted.

The reveal was the same as the MH4 reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0O9KwMZ7_8

Tratorn

Forgot to mention the 1st pic only* i didnt read the others ( dont know if same leaker), yes he got the open world part wrong so he is 80% right.

Nah, the changed combat for a western audience isn't true either.
And yes, the other 2 were from the same leaker. It doesn't make sense to just believe one part of a rumour if several other parts are wrong.

Airan

Holy crap this uses MT Framework?! That goddamn engine just won't die, what a champ! I thought it was using Panta Rhei.

Raide

The reveal was a letdown but the more I read about it the more it seems to be the Monster Hunter I've always wanted.

It's funny how that works🤣

Trailer shows off not a lot and leaves way too many questions unanswered. Community goes bonkers. It takes later interviews and gameplay to actually show the game off and people start to calm down a little.

Without a doubt the game of the E3 for me. I was a little ambivalent watching the reveal trailer but everything that I've heard so far sounds amazing.
It's a much needed fresh take after Monster Hunter Generations and the new direction of this game is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Also so very thankful for a simultaneous release, even though that's still a ways away unfortunately.

Kyoufu

I'm super hyped for World but the trailer is bad. No multiplayer hunting and worst of all no steak jingle at the end! *shakes head forever*

Ok, the reveal was bad but all this new info looks really promising.

Changing loadups mid-fight better have some restrictions or we'll be seeing Hame sets in every damn fight.

Defuser

I'm feeling giddy at the fact I get to fight monsters again with my Gunlance and SwitchAxe the 2 GOAT weapon class ever.

Lagunamov

Everything else Capcom makes comes to everything but Nintendo platforms. For the past seven years, they cultivated an audience for Monster Hunter that they've now abandoned for everyone except that very audience. No one would care if they expanded to include more systems. They stone cold ditched Nintendo though, and that kinda sucks.

Well, its Capcom you know, they did the same with the PSP users.

peakish

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't like the idea of the quest giver being fully voiced. In my experience that tends to result in less unique text overall and the quest dialog has always been one of my favorite things in MH. If they do manage to pull it off I'll be happy (and there's nothing that says this isn't limited to event quests).

Maybe this is my grandpa roots showing, though.

Ricky 7

This sounds awesome. Hope it does well. MH4 was the best in the series but this is sounding like a huge improvement.

Estoc

I will hold onto my skepticism, but let's hope this do well and that Capcom will keep the portable series going so I can play MH on-the-go on my future Switch.

Raide

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't like the idea of the quest giver being fully voiced. In my experience that tends to result in less unique text overall and the quest dialog has always been one of my favorite things in MH. If they do manage to pull it off I'll be happy (and there's nothing that says this isn't limited to event quests).

Cannot wait to hear voiced Palico. 🤣

I'm super hyped for World but the trailer is bad. No multiplayer hunting and worst of all no steak jingle at the end! *shakes head forever*
You and me both know those weren't the main things people were worried about after seeing the initial reveal lol

Ernestotaku

Neo Member
I'm in love with Monster Hunter, so I will get World but, as I said in the other topi forum, we are going to lose portable gaming and...well, it was nice going for a walk in Japan and finding hundreds of people playing and joining whatever party was free and making friends...

I'm going to miss that, but...life goes on... hahaha

If the quest giver is the only English voiced character it's gonna be really weird seeing everyone else speak MH gibberish

If it's fully voice acted I'm gonna miss it :(

Skyzard

Banned
I'm in love with Monster Hunter, so I will get World but, as I said in the other topi forum, we are going to lose portable gaming and...well, it was nice going for a walk in Japan and finding hundreds of people playing and joining whatever party was free and making friends...

You could remote play it with a Vita at a hotspot, possibly even a phone, that would do online co-op too.

Would be even more challenging with a delay.

crinale

At the interview they say you can "cancel" potion drinking motion if necessary so I think there still will be some kind of penalty on potion drinking.

You're absolutely right, which is why they shouldn't have the player take any damage from monsters whatsoever, they should just be invincible all the time. There shouldn't even be a health bar at all. After all, new players are just going to get hit and die, and pro players aren't so why should there be any consequences for your actions? After all, there's nothing fun about a monster bearing down on your face to take away health, it's just frustrating. Especially against end game monsters, new players don't want to be frustrated against end game super bosses and pro players are just going to play the exact same way anyway.

lol the elitism here is toxic.

Newbies will still die and be frustrated, its not like there is regenerating or infinite potions. You might still have a 10 potion limit + extra for combining. It doesn't make end game easier the fact you can move and heal, you will still run out of potions and die if you haven't improved enough to dodge monster patterns.

Airan

It may just be voice quips and/or cutscenes with voice. I'm not a fan because of the fact they've always made gibberish noises when talking in all of the past MHs, including Stories, so I've thought of it as a staple of the MH universe.

Oddish1

lol the elitism here is toxic.

Newbies will still die and be frustrated, its not like there is regenerating or infinite potions. You might still have a 10 potion limit + extra for combining. It doesn't make end game easier the fact you can move and heal, you will still run out of potions and die if you haven't improved enough to dodge monster patterns.

Moving and healing does, in fact, make the game easier.

That said, I am sure they have rebalanced the game to account for the change, like making the gameplay faster or enemies hit harder. I was just lightly mocking your defense of it by taking it to a logical extreme. I'm sure this won't actually be that big a deal.

Still suprised not coming to PC in Japan, think Capcom would make a deal with Razer or someone to make a limited edition MH Notebook.
10,000 MH Razer blades or something.

Portability could still be exploited with 14 inch notebook with a 1060.

Drencrom

I'm just happy that a full, mainline MH game with non-PS2 assets is being finally released on an non-handheld, everything that's been shown and said in interviews so far is great.

Rncewind

Moving and healing does, in fact, make the game easier.

That said, I am sure they have rebalanced the game to account for the change, like making the gameplay faster or enemies hit harder. I was just lightly mocking your defense of it by taking it to a logical extreme. I'm sure this won't actually be that big a deal.

Hunter arts and styles makes the game easier too, i guess you simply stopped playing mh then when capcom announce it

Defuser

No you are not gonna lose portable gaming.
There is still the Portable series brand. There will be a Monster Hunter Portable 5 which likely to be based on Monster Hunter World, capcom is not stupid to give up 4 million potential handheld sales in japan.

Sarcasm

Having to stop to use a potion plus the time it takes is all part of the combat. You have to decide and work it in.

Wouldn't sit there on my high horse saying that people talking about it are elitists.

Holy crap this uses MT Framework?! That goddamn engine just won't die, what a champ! I thought it was using Panta Rhei.

How does this shit look like Panta Rhei? lol.
The fucking Toukiden 2 grappeling hook and Witcher 3 vision are the worst things they could have copied.

Rezbit

Should be sweet as on PC. I've never played Monster Hunter but it definitely looks like a series I could get in to.

Oddish1

Hunter arts and styles makes the game easier too, i guess you simply stopped playing mh then when capcom announce it

Uh, yes? I would agree with that. But that's fine because X and XX were fanservice spin-offs and not mainline titles. I don't think anyone expected those to carry over into the main series.

Hunter arts and styles are also both optional not the mention those are spinoff/non mainline games

You can literally just make X/XX play like 4U if you want

Kyoufu

I really like the possibilities the grappling hook opens up.

You could probably dodge some giant fireballs with well timed hooks.

You mean PSVita?

Just trolling

Anyways in one of the interviews they said "At the moment there are no plans to bring it to Switch".

That's different from a "it will never be on Switch", but I guess doesn't mean much at the moment.

Wait, was Monster Hunter even on the Vita? And yeah, the Switch is the successor of the Vita, but I'd say it comes much closer to the Vita's promise of delivering home caliber experiences on the go. After all, the Vita's CPU was about as powerful as the Wii's.

Airan

How does this shit look like Panta Rhei? lol.
The fucking Toukiden 2 grappeling hook and Witcher 3 vision are the worst things they could have copied.

I thought they abandoned MT Framework when they said they couldn't manage to implement all the new graphical bells and whistles that are the norm for AAA games these days, hence Panta Rhei was to be its next gen replacement.

I mean, no other post 360/ps3 Capcom game uses MT Framework, so it was either PR or Unreal 4 (maaaaybe RE Engine but the name implies its exclusive use for RE), logical assumptions really.

Past MT Framework games run superbly on PC, so I'm super confident this game will run silky smooth :D

Top Bottom