• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Carnby

I read the thread title and thought "what could possibly be spoiler-ific about a character select screen?" I clicked on the thread and saw Robo-Sub Zero and said, "Whaaaaaaaa?!?!?"

I wish I never looked.

Tizoc

Criminal Upper said:
Except the only people in the world who know who the hell lobo is, is like...you and me, I guess?

Kratos is in the PS3 version?

Lobo in the 360?

Microsoft would probably prefer if it were just some exclusive avatar shit.
Well I'm just randomly speculating, I'm not a Lobo fan but when you think about it, he would fit into an MK game.

fernoca

jaekwon15 said:
I read the thread title and thought "what could possibly be spoiler-ific about a character select screen?" I clicked on the thread and saw Robo-Sub Zero and said, "Whaaaaaaaa?!?!?"

I wish I never looked.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

:p

Carnby

fernoca said:
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

:p

You summed it up. lol. I'm okay with it. Discovering Robo-Sub Zero has hyped me even more. As long as I don't see his character model in action, I will be okay. Other than this thread I have done a great job of keeping myself on a good and balanced media blackout. Excluding the characters from the demo, I have not seen any other character models in action, or any fatalities.

strideramc

AMUSIX said:
The 50% ninja thing really surprised me too...
jCJdf.jpg

Now, I like a hell of a lot of those characters...but when designing characters in the future, the team might not want to start with..."OK...so he's a ninja!..."

This reminds me of the old SF4 character select screens with Ken shopped into every portrait. I actually don't mind the ratio though, I have always loved the different ninjas in MK. Even back when they were just palette swaps.

strideramc said:
This reminds me of the old SF4 character select screens with Ken shopped into every portrait. I actually don't mind the ratio though, I have always loved the different ninjas in MK. Even back when they were just palette swaps.
I'm wondering what Cyber Sub-Zero will be like. He'll probably have all new moves because he's a separate character, otherwise he wouldn't get his own slot, he'd just be an alternate costume.

Actually maybe it is just an alt. It says his name is Sub-Zero.

Gravijah

Seraphis Cain said:
Oh damn, thanks for this. These are actually pretty awesome once you get a few chapters/parts in. They get much better as they go along. Definitely some (unintentionally?) hilarious parts, though.

Haha, it's silly but the fighting is pretty entertaining. Then again, I enjoyed Annihilation. :p

Anyanka

Like that sleak Robot Sub-Zero design. Coolest robot for sure. Quan Chi shouldn't have the tattoos during the MK3 era but whatever.

We know from the text leak CSZ has his own moves. It's like ice ball, slide, and then moves called "Ice Bomb", "ice parry" and "dive kick". Presumably ice parry is the MKDC self freeze counter the regular Sub used to have in this.

strideramc

The Lamonster said:
I'm wondering what Cyber Sub-Zero will be like. He'll probably have all new moves because he's a separate character, otherwise he wouldn't get his own slot, he'd just be an alternate costume.

Well, I am hoping for the more traditional ground freeze with Cyber Sub Zero. I love you opponents reaction in MK2 when you trip them up with that ice puddle.

TreIII

RustyNails said:
Wait, Kabal is a ninja? I thought he was from Kano's Black Dragon clan?

He's not. The shopper just went with a broad "NINJA!" brush for any one who was wearing a mask, apparently. :lol :lol

TreIII said:
He's not. The shopper just went with a broad "NINJA!" brush for any one who was wearing a mask, apparently. :lol :lol
Besides, true MK fans know that only Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile are the real ninjas :p

TreIII

RustyNails said:
Besides, true MK fans know that only Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile are the real ninjas :p

"I am not a NINJA, I am LIN KUEI! SCORPION was a NINJA!" [/Sub-Zero, Mythologies]

8D

Glass Joe

I'm personally glad Cyber-Sub got ruined. I'd heard about it and had little interest before. I just expected a palette-swapped Cyrax or whatever. But he does look pretty bad ass in a sleek-Predator sort of way. I wonder why he's not called "Cyber" in the select screen though?

Glass Joe said:
I'm personally glad Cyber-Sub got ruined. I'd heard about it and had little interest before. I just expected a palette-swapped Cyrax or whatever. But he does look pretty bad ass in a sleek-Predator sort of way. I wonder why he's not called "Cyber" in the select screen though?
Not sure. Me thinks its the original Sub Zero from MK1 who was killed by Scorpion but brought back to life through cyborg-ification.

lupinko

RustyNails said:
Not sure. Me thinks its the original Sub Zero from MK1 who was killed by Scorpion but brought back to life through cyborg-ification.

I thought Noob was the original Subzero.

scoobs

DryEyeRelief said:
Given all the supporter characters that revolve around him, is Sub-zero the main character of this franchise?
I dont know if there is a main character, its more a set of main characters. Raiden, Luikang, scorpion and subzero are the core characters in my mind.

Glass Joe

DryEyeRelief said:
Given all the supporter characters that revolve around him, is Sub-zero the main character of this franchise?

I think Liu Kang is. Or was, until they killed him off.

Boon's favorite character is Scorpion. Sub Zero just seems to have the most stuff going on.

So Cyber-Sub must be old Sub Zero from MK1. Sub Zero from MK2 was actually new Sub Zero (Sub's brother), who went mask-less in MK3. And I thought the story went that Noob was actually old Sub Zero, but maybe they retconned that.

DryEyeRelief said:
Sub-Zero is arguably the most identifiable character for Mortal Kombat franchise. Not sure if he is "main" though.

Carnby

If you recall, the whole Cyber Ninja story revolves around the clan trying to turn human Sub Zero into a Cyborg. He refuses, and escapes. The clan sends Cyrax and Sektor after him.

A Cyber Sub Zero makes sense if this game tells an alternate version of part 3. This would be a version where Sub Zero does indeed take on the transformation for the clan.

Gravijah

RustyNails said:
Is noob confirmed for this game? If not, then we can assume that's noob saibot cyborgified.

Noob is next to Smoke on the character select screen.

RustyNails said:
Sub-Zero is arguably the most identifiable character for Mortal Kombat franchise. Not sure if he is "main" though.

Scorpion is probably more identifiable.

Carnby

RustyNails said:
Hmm. I dunno whats going on then :0
Maybe Lin Kuei made their own version of cyber sub zero?

Or in this alternate universe, Lin Kuei successfully transforms Sub Zero into a Cyborg, like they intended to do in MK3.

Gravijah

jaekwon15 said:
Or in this alternate universe, Lin Kuei successfully transforms Sub Zero into a Cyborg, like they intended to do in MK3.

But we still have Noob.

Edit: Is your avatar related to PIG? Looks familiar but it's so small.

Carnby

Gravijah said:
But we still have Noob.

This has nothing to do with Noob's storyline. Read Sub Zero's storyline in MK3. The reason he sheds his ninja outfit is because the Lin Kuei tries to force him into turning into a Cyborg. Sub Zero refuses and flees. Cyrax and Sektor are sent after him.

jaekwon15 said:
But the presence of Noob throws a wrench in that theory. Noob is supposed to be Sub Zero.

Carnby

RustyNails said:
But the presence of Noob throws a wrench in that theory. Noob is supposed to be Sub Zero.

Noob is Sub Zero of MK1.

Sub Zero of MK2 and 3 is the brother of Sub Zero MK1. Sub Zero Mk 2 and 3 is not Noob. But he is the one that Cyrax and Sektor are after for not becoming a cyborg. Again, read the story. This is all Mortal Kombat Basic History 101.

Gravijah

jaekwon15 said:
Noob is Sub Zero of MK1.

Sub Zero of MK2 and 3 is the brother of Sub Zero MK1. This Sub Zero is not Noob. But he is the one that Cyrax and Sektor are after for not becoming a cyborg. Again, read the story. This is all Mortal Kombat Basic History 101.

So you think it's younger brother Subbie? Maybe, but I think it might be MK1 Sub-Zeros body.

Carnby

Gravijah said:
So you think it's younger brother Subbie? Maybe, but I think it might be MK1 Sub-Zeros body.

I think it's more "What if Subbie became a Cyborg like the Lin Kuei wanted him to?" This is a re-telling of the original trilogy, so it is possible.

maeda

jaekwon15 said:
Noob is Sub Zero of MK1.

Sub Zero of MK2 and 3 is the brother of Sub Zero MK1. Sub Zero Mk 2 and 3 is not Noob. But he is the one that Cyrax and Sektor are after for not becoming a cyborg. Again, read the story. This is all Mortal Kombat Basic History 101.
Well, who's the human Sub Zero in this MK then?

Carnby

maeda said:
Well, who's the human Sub Zero in this MK then?

This game takes place over the course of MK 1, 2, and 3. The human could be anyone. We will find out in the story mode.

maeda

jaekwon15 said:
This game takes place over the course of MK 1, 2, and 3. The human could be anyone. We will find out in the story mode.
Oh, making story span over a long period of time is a neat idea. Can this game get any more awesome? There is so much fan service packed in. It's like my childhood dream coming alive!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
jaekwon15 said:
In the demo they pretty explicitly make it out that this Sub Zero is the brother of the OG Sub Zero.

Unless I'm not remembering right.

Gravijah

Dance In My Blood said:
In the demo they pretty explicitly make it out that this Sub Zero is the brother of the OG Sub Zero.

Unless I'm not remembering right.

Well, it's just the arcade mode. They both can exist at once. Like Old+Young Shang Tsung.

Clipper

On the whole "Where does Cyber Sub fit into the canon" debate, he's likely an 'extra' character for a reason. It's like how Human Smoke appears in MKT, a 'what if' scenario that doesn't fit into the storyline of the game. Thus, think of him as younger Sub from a parallel timeline where he didn't escape cyberfication.

Top Bottom